Newcastle United
Post here your MM adventures !

I'll kick off.

16 August 2008
excelsior_mouscron.gif
-
5002.gif

Excelsior Moeskroen - Racing Genk

As it was the first match of the season, both teams started with 1 deep attacker, and it was Moeskroen who created the first chance. Okunwanne missed the first open chance of the match. But in the 23th minute it was there : the same Okunwanne scored the 1-0 for Moeskroen after a miss-timed header of wingback Daeseleire. And then the game began.

In just two minutes Okunwanne and Baseggio (both Moeskroen) made two goals, and so we've finished the first half.

Genk was nowhere in the first half, so the coach needed to do something. He took off two defenders and replaced them by a midfielder and an attacker. Not that it made any difference. Moeskroen just kept attacking and attacking and after 5 minutes of play the score extended to 6-0, what also the ending-score was.

What an awful start of Racing Genk in the competition.

(Btw, I'm playing on World Class)

I am Portsmouth in my Manager Mode.

Started off winning the Community Shield against Man Utd at Wembley! :SHOCK: It was pretty fantastic. They completely bummed me, and I had the 5-3-2 Pompey formation which worked well. They had 17 shots and I had 3 shots! The goal coming from a quick counter attack and Defoe scoring.

In the league it's been going pretty good, more wins than losses, so happy with that. I am 5th in the league at the moment. Going well in the Carling Cup too, second round beat Gillingham 3-0, third round beat Sheff Utd 1-0, and the fourth round is my next match, which is at home to Exeter! Had a very kind draw so far and am taking full advantage of it.

I have made one signing in the first transfer window. I noticed that Pompey are a little short of CMs and the ones they have are quite old (Diop 30, Davis 28), so I managed to sign Skjelbred from Rosenborg for £1.8M :)). He's played in the Carling Cup games and made a few appearances in the Premiership. He actually got the Man of the Match in the Sheff Utd Carling Cup game, so I have high hopes for him in the future :)).

My aim this season is to qualify for the UEFA Cup, and then next season to win it!

That's good man, beating Man Utd in the first game. Added much expansion to the mansacks, yes?

I'm Tottenham Failspurs, playing on World Class. My controls are mostly semi but I do have long pass and through ball on manual. I played the following formation

- - - - - - Gomes - - - - - - -
Corluka - King - Woodgate - Bale
- - - - - - Zokora - - - - - - -
Bentley - - Modric - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - Giovani
- - - Lennon - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - Pavlyuchenko - - -

First game of the season was against Villa and after 2 early goals on the break from Pavlyuchenko I was under the cosh til the final few minutes, where I then changed from an aggressive style to a more patient, deep approach, bringing on Bent for Pav, swapping Bentley with Lennon and bringing Jenas on for Lennon. Villa got one back through the Angel Gabriel but then conceded an own-goal from a corner on full-time. 3-1, not a bad start.

I used this method for my next two games, a 1-0 away win at Wigan and a frustrating home draw against Bolton. I absolutely battered Bolton, was a goal up within 10 minutes and had 17 shots on target by the end with the keeper getting Man Of The Match. They equalised on their first attack, Elmander broke free after King's pass to Modric bounced off him at high speed. 85th minute.

Transfer time. I've sold off around 9 players, all reserves and youth team players. Fraizer Campbell was sold following the purchase for £10m of.... Mario Gomez. He started my 4th game, away at West Ham. I set up a formation just for when he's in the team. He plays again behind Pav, albeit not as far behind. Lennon is thrown out on the right wing, Bentley is warming the bench. Gomez set up Pav for his 5th goal of the season, a nice dummy sending Pav into the box on the left for a rifle into the far corner across Green. Sadly the exact same thing happened to me in this game as in the Bolton one, a few deflections in midfield set Ashton free and he held off Woodgate to finish easily in the last 5 minutes. 1-1!

I've got my fitness on 10/10 and each of the positional coaches on 6/10. Saved £9m to spend, I put a bid in for Michael Owen, as I believe the side would benefit from him more than Darren Bent, who I intend to sell. Owen, Pav and Gomez would be a good strike trio, quite varied and I've Lennon, Giovani & Bentley as support.

First game tonight is at home to Manchester United! If I can win that, I'll go top. Hopefully I can finish top 3, as my sponsors want that and I'd like top class euro footie next term.

Added much expansion to the mansacks, yes?
Eh? :SS

Anyway, I've played a couple more matches on my MM, I'm now playing on World Class by the way. My controller settings are manual passing, through balls and long balls, semi crossing and assisted shooting. I've found these settings and World Class difficulty make for a good game :)).

Anyway, I battered Exeter in the Carling Cup, can't remember the score, 2-0 or 3-0, but it should have been more! Exeter had a man :r1 after receiving his 2nd yellow card in the first half! Jerome Thomas won an early penalty after some quick footwork fooled the Exeter defence and teased him into lunging in and missing the ball completely. Ben Sahar dispatched it which started the rout :)).

Then played Man Utd in the Premiership and took the lead, which must have pissed them off as they came back to win 3-1 :((, 2 from Rooney and one from Ronaldo.

I've started a MM with Man City.

Currently 4th in the league unbeaten after 5 games (i think), won 3, drawn 2.

-----------------Hart------------------
Zabaleta -- Dunne -- Richards -- Garrido
---------------Kompany-----------------
---------------------Elano-------------
SWP --------Ireland--------------------
--------------------------Robinho------
------------------Jó-------------------

Subs:
Ball
Fernandes
Sturridge
Petrov
The Boj
Hamann
Ben Haim

Got Kompany sitting deeper than Elano, Richards in LCH to cover Garrido's lack of pace. I've tried to match City's real life tactics as much as i can so i've got Elano picking people out and SWP/Robinho/Jo/Ireland knocking it around intricately n quickly.

I've got another tactic/formation that i set when i want to concede goals easily n lose leads that we should be able to protect ;)

Started with 23mil and promptly blew it upgrading everything to 7, tried getting a quality left back in and failed. That's going to be my priority in January/August - get a decent left back in because Robinho has no intention of being cover down that flank.

The formation i use works really well with the players i've got...specific to me, however when i played in the cup i used the Reserves and it worked terribly, so it really shows you need to change things around a bit!

Anyone any idea how i can purchase any of the Zenit team? (can't believe they didn't include the UEFA/Super cup champs out!)

Stretching of the scrotum.

Moving on, I've got to Match Day 12 and currently lie in 2nd behind Arsenumpties, who as ALWAYS in my FIFA MM games (08 & 09), have Adebayor a few goals clear at the top of the scorer's league. The git.

I've not really had a tough game in the league yet, I've managed to sneak past teams and have unlucky draws without breaking much sweat, which is good form for Tottenlol! However... the hardest game by far was against Huddersfield Bastard Town. HBT were at home to me in the Carling Cup, and won 2-1 via a collaboration of crazy last ditch-defending and vicious counter attacks. I hate you Andy Booth. So I'm out of the cup, third round.

Coming up to the winter transfer period, I'm torn between getting a left winger and another forward. I've Bent, Pavlolchenko and Super Mario Gomez upfront who are all fine but I still fancy Michael Owen or perhaps Agbonlaslut. However, Dos Santos is doing great things down the left hand side, and I fancy popping him in the middle every so often against teams with slow CBs. Adding to the fact his stamina ain't brilliant yet means he sits the odd game out and Gilberto is crap cover. Danny from Zenit / Portugal might be on the cards, I hope I can somehow get him from somewhere.

5th match of the season, and it was a big game at home against Club Brugge, the number 3 in the competition. They began very patient and defensive while I attacked and attacked and ... get countered :( 0-1 home loss and a dissapointing 3/15.

Playing as Newcastle in my MM.

Only just played my first game against Bolton, got a 3-1 win away from home which was a good start. One thing that really impressed me was how they were really in your face and direct like in real life. I took the lead after Cahill made a mistake for them, then Davies got a typical headed equaliser. But I managed to get in front again through Jonas, and Owen sealed my win late on with a goal on the counter. Great match.

Made three signings so far; Arshavin, Tymoschuk and Armand have joined to fill in the gaps in the first team. Got a decent looking line-up now.

Playing a 4-4-2 diamond. Given; Beye, Coloccini, Taylor, Armand; Jonas, Tymoschuk, Arshavin, Duff; Owen, Martins.

Looking forward to my next match at home to Boro. Arshavin will hopefully be amazing. :P

I have started Manager Mode with Luton Town in the Coca Cola League 2. Played 3 games in total:

Lincoln City 1-0 Luton Town
Luton Town 2-1 Gillingham
Accrington 1-2 Luton Town

I still need to arrange some transfers for my team but otherwise its been fantastic. :)

I've started again, following the free agents fiasco being sorted out! And I took advantage by snapping up Arshavin & Danny. In brief, I've simmed half the games, to get to where I was in my first MM, to erase the memory of it. I've managed to stay in the Carling Cup, beating Fulham and Derby. However, league form has now gone to shit.

10th at the moment, following defeats to Liverpool heavily, Man Utd and the worst of all, at home to Arsenal. They dominated the first half but couldn't shoot, I then took over in the second half, hitting the woodwork twice and having a header knocked off the line by Gallas he struck it against his own crossbar then it flew out. However, 5 minutes to go, a crazy fumble from Gomes following an out-swinging corner saw Fabric-Arse smack the ball against the post and come out, only for it to rebound off Gomes' big hairy back and go in the net. Typical Arsenal, they took off Adebayor instantly by the way, bringing on some French slave probably, the hypnotist cunts, I hate that club.

Anyway... heh. I'm having trouble finding a good formation, that's probably why I'm struggling, I tried signing Super Mario Gomez again but he rejected this time! So I now have two out & out strikers Pavlol & Bent, along with a bunch of "attackers" who play around them and I haven't got things gelling yet, just call me Juande. Giovani, Lennon, Bentley, Arshavin, Modric and Danny. I might get rid of Bentley & Jenas come January, try and get Gomez again and stick to having Modric / Arshavin in the spot behind the strikers, with Gio / Danny on the left and Bentley / Lennon on the right.

Just played some more matches. I drew against Darlington. Lost to Rotherham in the League Cup in the 89th minute.

Darlington 0-0 Luton Town
Rotherham United 1-0 Luton Town (English League Cup First Round)

Just started one with Aston Villa, World Class

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Chelsea (Couldn't break through there defence)

Arsenal 0 - 3 Aston Villa (they dominated the match but I played great counter attacking football)

Just signed a striker L.Lopez for £6m

Loving this game!

I've just won the Premiership & FA Cup, after earlier grabbing the Carling Cup. Played Man Utd in the final game of the Premiership, drawing with them at home to keep them in 2nd place by just 1 point! However, it was the second game in a row against them where I had 3 players sent off. No other sendings off all season, just 3 in the Carling Cup final against them (all in a 15 minute spell), and 3 on the final Prem game. Out of the 6 red cards I'd say 2 were bad enough tackles for a yellow card. Only 1 of the 6 were the result of a second yellow card. Madness.

My leading scorer was Arshavin with 21 goals in all competitions. He was 4th overall in the table ahead of Berbatov in 5th and behind Rooney in 3rd, Anelka in 2nd (!) and Robbie Keane top with 29 goals!!

Anyway, following the sale of Darren Bent to Hull City, I've snapped up a 17 year old CB starlet called Eric Meier (I think that's his name) with an overall rating of 83, and am currently in the process of signing another striker before the window closes.

Chaps,

I have just sent a scout to Africa on a short trip to check on strikers - (basically cos it was the cheapest option!) - such a cool idea.

As i'm 1860 munich, in the transer market the only players I see are other bundesliga.2 ones, how can I see players from other leagues?

many thanks, loving it already and i haven't started the saeson yet

db

Have you tried going to the Detailed Search option (it's the Triangle button on PS3 to bring up the mini menu), then creating a new search for FOR SALE players using the filters? I've had to do that before. If it still doesn't show anything, try it again but change the filter for location from ANY to a particular league and it might work then.

I'm currently in my first season with Girona in the 2nd spanish league. As Chris Bauer says in the generic thread, reaction times are slow, shots balloon over and over, but it's really fun trying different tactics and approaches to games.

I'm currently 1st in the league, though I got knocked out of the Cup in extra time.

I play all manual (passing on semi) in Professional, as I don't like the strength cheats in World Cup difficulty. When I reach La Liga then I will put it in World Class to emulate the quality jump.

I try to play patiently, 6 minutes per half matches, and try to build up play a lot. There are matches that I have 70% possession and 7 or 8 chances. I'm improving my definition.

By the way, let the Physicil Condition bar to 5, it forces you to rotate a little your squad and to me it makes the perfect balance between tiredness and form.

I've scored many nice goals, some headers and some intrincate passing. It's great when you score your first goal away and know you can play the "italian" style, packing your defense and running to space.

By now, I'm enjoying this game as I had never enjoyed playing virtual football. Hope it lasts some months!

I lost quite a few games now:

Notts County 4-3 Luton Town
Luton Town 0-2 Barnet
Luton Town 0-0 Dag & Red
Aldershot Town 1-0 Luton Town
Luton Town 1-0 Rotherham United

Im currently 18th in the Coca Cola League 2. I only managed to sign one player in the transfer window. C. Eris. A 34 year old attacking midfielder from a K-League club for £54,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started with Arsenal last night. My results so far:

Arsenal 0 - 0 Everton
Chelsea 0 - 1 Arsenal
Arsenal 1 - 0 Portsmouth (Last minute goal from Vela)
West Brom 1 - 4 Arsenal
Colchester 1 - 3 Arsenal (did the classic youth team in Carling Cup)

Sold Eboue and brought in Upson

Halfway through Season 2.

Brought in McGeady from Celtic and sold off Danny the Portugese brick-footed attacking midfielder. Danny had been on the left wing but I felt he was too much of a Danny La Rue than a Daniel Craig. McGeady now floats down the left however he's done crap in his first two games, booked in both and injured in the second of them haha.

I'm 2nd in the league at the moment behind Man Utd who have Rooney, Berbatov AND Ronaldo in the top 4 of the scorer's league. Arshavin and Cavenaghi are starting up front for me and are doing well, Arshavin with 13 goals. Bought Miguel Veloso and Sergio Ramos, selling off Alan Hutton & Tom Huddlestone. I now have Ramos on always at right-back and Corluka defensive midfield, with Zokora able to step in at DM or RB and Veloso ready and willing to embrace the pitch at DM in a full-on Pantene moment. Daniel Agger has been brought in from Liverpool and Michael "Have A Penalty On Me" Dawson has been given to Hull at a lower price than expected.

Somehow (and I plead non guilty to being labelled a hacker-downer), I've managed to get Woodgate booked 12 times by mid-January. I can't quite grasp how it's happened, I do think it's quite unfair and perhaps Kate Lawler is secretly refereeing all the Spurs matches.

Done surprisingly well in the CL, I've beaten PSG & Inter at home & away, beaten Olympiakos at home and still have to play away. I was surprised to play Inter and find Jefferson Farfan there on the left wing with Gilardino playing up front with Zlatan.

Like BillyBoy I started as a Low team in Coca Cola League 2 as Wycombe

In Total i sold 8 Players and bought 1 But i found a rubbish player on the bench put him on the field and he's grown to an overall level of 59 (From 45!) in just 5 League games and 1 cup

Results so far.

Barnet 0 - 1 Wycombe Win
Chester 1 - 1 Wycombe Draw
Wycombe 2 - 0 Brentford Win
Port Vale 1 - 0 Wycombe Lost
Wycombe 3 - 0 Rochdale Win

Cup

Tranmere 3 - 2 Wycombe (Only just lost =( )

Indeed, as I'm nearing completion of Season 2, I simmed a league game against Newcastle but beforehand viewed player stats and rankings for the the season so far. NUFC had signed Paulo Ferreira and Roque Santa Cruz which I thought was good transfer sense for AI. Also noticed Duff was missing, and after a quick scroll around he's back at Blackburn.

Was out of the League Cup in the third round against Barnsley!

I won the Premiership again, 7 points clear of Chelsea who pipped Man Utd to 2nd place by a point on the last day. 4 games from the end I lost 3-0 at home Man Utd, which was crazy but the AI wasn't cheating I was simply no match for their forward line. Before the match it said Berbatov was top performer, Ronaldo was 2nd top performer and Rooney top scorer. They played upfront in a trio, with Tevez behind! I got 2 players sent off too, which is so weird, my only 6 red cards in the first season occured when playing in 2 games against Man Utd.

Anyway, I fucked them 4-0 in the FA Cup final.

What was gutting though is the top scorers league was as following

Drogba - 53 goals
Rooney - 31 goals
Crouch - 31 goals
Arshavin - 27 goals
Defoe - 22 goals

I had the FA Cup final & the Champions League final left to play for the season and I thought maybe I could get Arshavin up to 2nd place. He's a fucking legend. So, FA Cup Final. I start with him as support striker. HAT-TRICK IN 23 MINUTES. I was off my tits. 1 goal needed to equal Crouch & Rooney's totals. However, 30th minute, over heads Rio Ferdinand with his tumour of a left foot flying towards Arshavin's legs and the Russian is down, down and upset like I was. I was close to feeling like when I went to see Spurs at Sheffield Wednesday FC, and my then-idol David Ginola was took off injured at half-time. Arshavin hobbled to the side of the pitch. He came back on after 5 minutes and I'm elated. I'm doing the 5 goals in THIS game, never mind the fucking CL final!

Nemanja_Vidic.png

He.. ^.. is a nob. One flimsy tackle on the Russian from that guy above and he was down again. And this time it was all over. He's subbed off for Bojan and I'm sniffling even when scoring a deflected half-volley. "He best not be injured for the CL final, the clumsy cunt", my lass had to endure my rage.

I was off to bed after that game but following saving the game I wanted to see if Arshavin was available for the CL, and he isn't, he's too fucked by that clumsy degenerate Rio De Injureo.

I've never woke up so upset.

Last edited:
My Fifa09 arrives in about 15 minutes, but I already have my game planned out. I'll be playing as my team Juventus, and will aim for top 3! More news to come...

Back
Top Bottom