FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

Yeah feel stupid now. Just won my last league match 7-1. It was a slaughter. 3 goals in the final 10 minutes. I'm going to bump it up to World Class but I'm frightfully scared of CPU cheats kicking right in. Any advice?

Lost to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the FA cup. I made a HUGE mistake by fielding all my youngsters in midfield and having Vela- Bedntner upfront. It was a CRAZY match with chances at both ends. Lost in penalties BUT this was a match I should have won with ease. But Arsenal are still top of the league despite having lost twice allready.

Guffers, it depends on which team u are and also the league u play into..

my team, for example, is Ajax.. I already scored a 8-1, and also some 5's and 6's.. and I play in World Class (on ps2, I dont know if there's much difference of difficult between old/nextgen).. of course, I scored a lot of goals against weak and middle teams from Holland, and in international competitions my max was 4-0, against Fiorentina..

its like, the CPU always scores easier.. if they enter the box, ur chances of defending low a lot.. ur goalie, no matter whats his ability, seems to get stupid, I dont know.. at the same time that CPU goalie gets wiser when u come closer or even from long range...

u just have to keep them far from ur defence.. getting a good defensive tatic, with some nice CBs, midfielders that help when u are not with the ball..
its pretty much it, not any "7-head monster" ;p

just saying again, I play on ps2 so it can be some differences, but I hope I could help ;x

I play in World Class (on ps2, I dont know if there's much difference of difficult between old/nextgen)..

Last PS2 version of Fifa I played was 07, on that I could win 90% of matches on legendary no problem, I can't even do that on Professional on the next gen version so yes the versions are very different and comparing them is pointless IMO.

I'm in my second season with De Graafschap. Last season I finished around mid-table in the Eredivisie but got to the final of the Dutch Cup, losing to double-winning Feyenoord. For the final I pushed the difficulty up to Legendary, having played mostly on World Class so far.

At the moment I'm sort of hovering between the two difficulty settings. On WC I find it too easy to dominate possession, but on Legendary I'm having a really hard time creating chances even against the weaker teams in the league. Still, it makes it really satisfying when I finally find the net. I'm going to try and stick it out on Legendary and hope I can scrounge enough points here and there to stop my reputation with the board from plummeting too much.

I signed a couple of players in the summer; a Greek defender called Kyriazis who has settled in nicely, adding some height to the defence, and I also brought former PSV/Vitesse midfielder Remco van der Schaaf back home from English football.

I've been able to construct a nice looking 3-1-4-2 since their arrival, a system I'm really enjoying playing around with at the moment. I was using 4-1-3-2 for a while but a frequent weakness was my small fullbacks being dominated in the air by taller attackers arriving at the far post... the switch to three centre-backs (including Kyriazis' aerial ability) seems to be helping out there.

I usually play with the commentary turned off, but for the bigger games (vs Ajax, PSV etc, or big cup ties) I turn on the Dutch commentary for that televised feel. I haven't a clue what they're saying, it's fun :)

Im now top of the Coca Cola League 2. I managed to sign some great players like Amr Zaki. Only a few games left until the end of the season. :)

Well nerf, in truth i think the Dutch commentary is better than the English one...at times Youri Mulder (especially him) and Evert Ten Napel are very funny.

I personally haven't had any commentary turned on since the day after release. If I had to turn any on though it'd be the Dutch.

I've played Master League forever.
Never play Maneger Mode.
This year i've change to EA game and i'm sooooo wondered with this mode!!!
I'm having problems to win games. Most of them ends in draw...really hard for me to score a goal. Guess i'm not used with the game. (plaing in leggendary)
But i'm loving FIFA09 MM!!!!!!
Wonder!!!!

Last edited:
How do you change the difficulty? Do you just go to the general settings and change it in there? Couldnt find any options in the MM menu's yesterday.

I'm in January with Arsenal currently 3rd behind Aston Villa and Manchester United, playing on Professional but I'm almost at the point where I can play World Class, however, I still lose a few games and draw.

I've signed Xavi to replace Denilson, Giovinco to aid the midfield out with speed, because Rosicky gets tired easily. So I have Walcott and Giovinco, who make a huge impact during the last 20 minutes of the game with their high speed.

I've played Master League forever.
Never play Maneger Mode.
This year i've change to EA game and i'm sooooo wondered with this mode!!!
I'm having problems to win games. Most of them ends in draw...really hard for me to score a goal. Guess i'm not used with the game. (plaing in leggendary)
But i'm loving FIFA09 MM!!!!!!
Wonder!!!!

Glad your enjoying it Pedrollo... Scoring is difficult especially if your used to PES, but stick with it...

I started a MM with Charlton last night, and instantly upgraded the fitness from level 3 to 6. Everything else is the same though.

I dipped into the transfer market straight away. I had about £4m to spend. I sold Todorov for £500k and brought in:
K.Doyle (Reading) £1.9m
S.Sodje (Reading) £200k
M.Mancienne (Chelsea) £250k
F.Campbell (Spurs/Man Utd) £480k

I haven't had the best start so far...

Charlton 0-1 Cardiff
Plymouth 2-0 Charlton
Charlton 4-1 Coventry
Charlton 1-0 Notts Forest
C.Palace 2-1 Charlton

I've since signed Possebon (Man Utd £300k, couldn't get him on loan), and Jonathan Greening (WBA £600k) as the midfield is a little low on experience. I'll see how it goes, but in the winter window I might look to bring in a young goalkeeper, and maybe a left back as I don't like Youga (if you've seen him play you'll know why!) Any recommendations are welcome.

I'm not sure what my best team is yet, but at the moment I'm going with this:

GK: N.Weaver
RB: Y.Moutaouakil
CB: Mancienne / Sodje
CB: Hudson
LB: G.Basey
RM: Ambrose / Sam
CM: Holland / Greening
CM: Myself (from my BAP career) / Possebon
LM: H.Bouazza
ST: K.Doyle / A.Gray
ST: L.Varney / F.Campbell

I'm starting to wonder if I should have saved my money on Doyle as he's yet to score, though youngster Danny Uchechi has scored 3 as a sub... I guess that's all part of the game!

and maybe a left back as I don't like Youga (if you've seen him play you'll know why!) Any recommendations are welcome.

Pedro Botelho, you'll find him at UD Salamanca but he's actually an Arsenal player, 19 year old Brazilian LB who can play pretty much every position on the field which is very useful, has great delivery and freekick as well as defensive attributes, he can play LB/CB/LM/LF :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_Roberto_Silva_Botelho

For lower league teams, the best players to sign are players who can run really fast such as Clarke from Accrington.

That's boring though, it's like playing PES and signing Babangida every time, fun when you're 12 but football games (and I how I want to play them) have advanced beyond the "run down the wing with super fast players then cut back for a goal".

That's boring though, it's like playing PES and signing Babangida every time, fun when you're 12 but football games (and I how I want to play them) have advanced beyond the "run down the wing with super fast players then cut back for a goal".

Well it's what I do when its the last 20 minutes of a game I sub on Walcott to out pace their team, but I don't cut back unless I'm desperate for a goal, usually I would cross it or move towards the centre and have a crack.

But I was just recommending a fast player, because when I was playing against a big club, my slow striker couldn't do anything to take them on, but Clarke was at least able to beat a few. But it was a different situation, depends how you'd like to play the game. :))

I have 4 fast wingers who can play either side, and feel no guilt for having one or two attempts at a cutback each MM game. I have around 15 chances overall on average a match, and the cutbacks usually get attempted when the AI God Mode kicks in, usually between 70 and 90 minutes.

Call me a realism whore but I play FIFA like I'd expect to watch a match. I've even twice in '09 MM let the CPU team equalize in a high-scoring Cup match so it's more dramatic... :BSCARF:

lol, I always sign fast wingers too ;p
in my team I have Sinclair, from Chelsea, which is very fast.. and Marquinhos, from Vitoria (Brasil), this one is awesome too..

and I agree with u proxi.. I play FIFA like I'd expect to watch a match. [2]

Last PS2 version of Fifa I played was 07, on that I could win 90% of matches on legendary no problem, I can't even do that on Professional on the next gen version so yes the versions are very different and comparing them is pointless IMO.

Same here - the game was far too easy before. I am having a hell of a time figuring this game out. I am playing as Liverpool on Professional and my last 3 cup games were against one star teams. Each game has gone to penalties and I've scored a total of 1 goal over 3 games...

Maybe I just suck at this game reading some of these scores - I haven't scored over 3 in a game yet.

I'm actually proud of my MM as Bradford at the moment!! Into my second season, managed to get them up to League 1 by finishing second in the league, also won the Johnson's Paint Trophy, hazzar. I am thinking I should change the difficulty from Professional to World Class though, because I am finding it way too easy to break through defenses like Man United and Chelsea, where I should find it really difficult. I mean, I am only winning them by one goal to none but still I think it should be a bit harder? Or maybe I'm being too fussy, I dunno.

started a MM with my mate and we chose villareal, its so much fun, the feeling of scoring a goal like in past PES games is back, great game

I have a question for all MM players who have played through a season or two so far.

I am 3/4 the way through my first MM season playing as Liverpool and I have had the setting on overcast just about the entire season to see if I could get some weather effects. So far... a big fat NOTHING.

I am sorry if this has been posted here before, but has anyone had ANY weather in MM? I hate to say it, but I am getting bored of MM already as it seems like the exact same thing as last years.

Thanks

Don't think so YoungGun, the only MM change will be player number editing won't it? And you won't need to start again just because of player numbers, surely.

Erik, I haven't had any weather in MM yet either, despite being on overcast since day one. I was wondering if it was the stadium I play in (in the lower leagues you only play in 2-3 stadia a year). I've seen weather in friendlies, nowhere else though IIRC.

Something strange happening with my MM game at the moment (I said I wasn't going to play it again after the goal scored against me in the play-off second leg, where my goalkeeper kicked it against the guy's back and it went in, but I switched the 360 off after the game and thank God it hadn't saved the result)... Anyway, replayed it and won, played Leeds in the final and won 1-0 in the last minute, on professional.

I was getting fed up of winning every game on professional, and seeing the ridiculously good football played by the CPU (as lower league teams) on world class. But now that I've been promoted to the Championship (and my team are now 3-star), I've noticed that the results I've been getting on professional were actually realistic.

I was expecting to walk the Championship on professional but so far I've won 1-0 at home to relegated Hull (they gifted me a penalty at the death), lost 2-0 to Charlton away and drew 1-1 with Derby away - all three teams were 3-star. In League One they were all around 1-star, so of course I was going to beat them all (but on world class they play like superstars). So professional seems to be the best fit for me, with a team whose star-level is around the same as the others in the league that is.

I'll have to stop doing transfers, it's way too easy to bring in great players who have been transfer-listed, boost your star rating, and then stroll each game. On professional you get a decent, open game whereas on world class you can't move, you're pressured for 90 minutes.

EDIT: There's one thing I think desperately needs adding for next year and that's either the ability to change stadium assignments or the ability to "upgrade" your stadium. There is an option in the staff section to upgrade your stadium size and bring in more money (it costs millions of pounds as well), yet your stadium magically appears to be the exact same stadium.

I'm sick to death of the ground they've assigned to Tranmere now, for a start it's nothing like Tranmere's ground, and secondly it's the only stadium you get to see when you play in League One.

Last edited:
Erik, I haven't had any weather in MM yet either, despite being on overcast since day one. I was wondering if it was the stadium I play in (in the lower leagues you only play in 2-3 stadia a year). I've seen weather in friendlies, nowhere else though IIRC.

I was wondering if it was the stadium I played in as well but it looks to be just something that is not in MM. I started as MM in Germany as well for a few games because I figure there would be snow and rain but there wasn't anything there either. Although I only played about 7 games total.

If this is true, it's a massive disapointment. Obviously MM and Be a Pro are going to be different applications running on the hard drive but I can't for the life of me figure out how they wouldn't add weather into MM. The gameplay really is much improved but it's like playing the same game as last year.

Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom