FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

Half way threw my first season

just about to play my semi finals game against portsmouth in the english cup which is going to be tough.

ill let u know how well i do at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Well, I'm finishing my second season with SL Benfica.
First Season won the domestic cup and placed 5th on the league. Too many late minute draws...
Second season won the Efa Cup, against Arsenal, 1-2 after overtime. This cup was the most thrilling thing I've experienced in single player football on a console.
Eliminated Graafschap to enter the group stage. Lost 1 and drew 2 in the group stage, winning the last one against... Leyton Orient. Scored 1 goal in the last minute of the last game and qualified.
Then I played Schalke, in the Arena, brilliant. After winning 2-1 at home they scored first and I tought I was doomed but, in the second half, they kept defending and I managed to score twice.
Then it was Fiorentina. Lost 2-1 in the home game, again looking doomed but won 3-1 in the away match.
Celtic was the next opponent. 1-1 away then 2-0 home. Played consistently. Had some difficulties to defend against the long balls to Hesselink but, with the posts on my side, managed to get through.
At this point the teams were: Benfica, Arsenal, Milan and Man U.
Ended up playing Milan on the semi, 0-0 at home and 1-1 away, again, a goal on the final minute, Kaladze tried to clear the ball and it bounced on another defender, leaving Cardozo some space for a low shot at the near post.
Ended up facing Arsenal in the Final and it was a great match. Lots of shots, cards for both teams, quick counters, great performance from both keepers. You should really be able to save full matches.
On the other hand I can't get past 4th place in the league with 3 matches to go...
Only bought Schweinsteiger and De La Red to ensure I always had options for my midfield.

hi all. in previous fifas i would be lots of different teams, but this year i have sticked with teams. first manager mode i did was west ham were i came 5th and 4th in league, but left to go to league 2(i majorley regret that desision). since ive played a bit in league 2 but im not a fan. this was all on pro difficulty.

so today i started a new one at newcastle on pro. ive currently bidded for gareth bale and have put my staff upgrades for my attack midfield and defence to 10 lol. on this game i never sign anyone over the age of like 23 lol, hence why i signed bale. because i know by 2 seasons time heel be around 88. i may sign bojan, an awesome striker whos only aged 17.

ill post a follow up after my transfer period and about 10 games into the season.:COP:

im now 15 games in and am 3rd in the league, ive won 12 drawn 2 and lost 1 if im correct. i have signed gareth bale, theo walcott and a right back named boateng. i never got to sign bojan sadly. ive signed 2 scouts who are 72 and 74, i may loan them out next year i think. its been a good start, but got knocked out of the league cup to accrington lol, after i simmed it. i was at home and was a 4star difference, was just unlucky iguess, lol

they didn't? oh,then what's the purpose of loaning them? this is not cool at all. i loan a lot my young players and didn't notice bout gained experience they brought back.
and for MM,I'm using Reading.nice team.good youngsters. already 5 star,but never won the premiership just yet. the weaker team like stoke,sunderland,QPR with 4 star and less is killing me,more than Manchester U. or Chelsea.

waste of time, they don't gain XP when out on loan, another bug/flaw/glitch from previous Fifa's that they didn't bother fixing unfortunately.

Yeah it's a shame for a little effort the game could be so much better, does not make me confident for FIFA10 TBH, I was hoping getting an FM based head man in would improve this side of things...

hi guys, thankyou for the tips about scouts. i decided to sell these 2 players before i read this. i have got 2 better you central midfielders, john obi michel and another who i have forgot. john is 81 and should gain exp quickly. i have sold owen for 6 million what was a nice bonus, and luckily got an 18 year old forward in his place. who is rated 80.

ill post a follow up of my team another time as i cant fully remember it as just been transfer period, i think i also signed another right back. im currently top by 2 points on professional just after january.

thanks for the help about loaning scouts :))

Yeah if you loan player to another team, they dont get to play. I also think scouted players are too good at start. I have scouted players to Leeds and they all are too good in overall. Then i sell them because i dont want them get too good players.

Yeah if you loan player to another team, they dont get to play.

Not true.

I loaned out a number of young players from my Grimsby team and they played plenty of matches, one played 15 and another 20 (you can see how many matches they played in the contract section), I made sure I used up all their XP points before letting them go out on loan and when they returned, despite having played numerous matches their XP was at 0 and their stats were the same as when they left.

Not true.

I loaned out a number of young players from my Grimsby team and they played plenty of matches, one played 15 and another 20 (you can see how many matches they played in the contract section), I made sure I used up all their XP points before letting them go out on loan and when they returned, despite having played numerous matches their XP was at 0 and their stats were the same as when they left.

Ok, thanks for the info. I was wrong. I loaned players and they were best players in those teams. But they only played against me and even started as sub.

What's with the XP points this time round I have auto off and as before have upped my trainers to 5, but the points I'm getting are stupid, I'm going to have to start again I think... After playing six or seven games I have about 25,000 XP points for some of my players, I have stopped updating them as it is just nuts...

Last edited:
What's with the XP points this time round I have auto off and as before have upped my trainers to 5, but the points I'm getting are stupid, I'm going to have to start again it think... After playing six or seven games I have about 25,000 XP points for some of my players, I have stopped updating them as it is just nuts...

Yeah it's another thing they completely messed up. I guess it's to pander to the 12 year olds who want to buy a player and have him 99 for everything in two weeks.......

well i have finished my 1st season and won the league, lost boths cups. in 2nd season i also lost community shield.

i may be an idiot but winning the league annoys me, because i have no goals to build on(im sure u all think im crazy). what i mean is if u say come mid table, then try to get into europe, then maybe win the league. so now i have changed to world class, and im winning all the games on that, anyone noticed theres almost no difference between pro and world class? exept quicker 1st time passing.

i might start a new mm on legendary, and try to aviod relegation. ive only had 1 game on legendary and im eager to see how a season would end up. but the main thing though, i really need to stop tinkering between manager modes, then again thats the whole fun of it i guess

Last edited:
wow thats pretty strange. ive noticed when i have finished a season there will always be some team say luton who have qualified lol. now placebo has said its a bug from previous games and didnt bother to fix it, its ridiculous, how couldnt they fix this.

ea really has been lazy this past year

Playing as Sunderland, almost halfway through my first season. I'm struggeling a bit in the league, I'm 13th in the table but on my way up. Got knocked out of the League Cup by Arsenal in the 3rd round.

I really enjoy playing with a smaller club. You really have to work to score goals. Just had 2 0-0's in a row in the league, but then BOOM, 5-1(!) against Newcastle in the derby! :)

I made some signings at the begining of the season:

Insua, LB from Liverpool (Was placed on the transfer list)
Rio Mavuba, CM from Lille.
Olivier Dacourt, CM from Inter Milan.
Alanzinho, brazilian LM from norwegian club Stabaek. Really skillful!
Guerrero, CF from Hamburger SV.

My first 11 looks something like this:

GK: Gordon
RB: Chimbonda
CB: Nosworthy
CB: Ferdinand
LB: Insua

RM: Diouf
CDM: Dacourt
CM: Mavuba
LM: Alanzinho

CF: Cissé
CF: Jones

Jones is top scorer with 11 goals, Diouf is second with 3 goals from his RM position.

I've decided to start a MM too.. Difficulty set to World Class, keepers also set to World class. Hope it's not too hard because even on Pro difficulty I struggled a little.

Anyway, let's kick it off:

Yes, unfortunately.. Is also PC version allowed in here or is the thread just for you lucky ones with a next-gen version of the game?

well my newcastle mm is bust lol. i thought the game had broke. it freezes after the match on 60% every time, i was maybe gunna restart but im pretty upset about this MM. some reason everything else works fine.

i did try a legendary MM and got the sack after 14 games hehe.

since my main mm is bust i cant get started, think i need a break and start fresh allover.

currently started at bury but im gunna packk that in. may post in a while, see what happens with my mm

Well, i saved over my aston villa MM by accident. i was going to start a second manager mode with sunderland and i saved over it. Grr, and anyway im starting a fresh new one with sunderland now. i have sold off quite a few players to get in some extra cash to upgrade my staff. After my first match, which i lost 2-0 to man united, i managed to get Tuncay from middlesbrough. ill let you know how i do.

Well my season with sunderland isnt going to bad at the moment i guess, 12th in the league with 13 games played. won 4, drawn 4, lost 5. on 16 points with the leader on 32. im doing well in the English league cup, winning round 2 4-2 against swansea, winning round 3 2-0 to newcastle and winning round 4 3-1 to wigan. so im hoping to try win that. Diouf is my top goal scorer with 10 and is 3rd in the top 20's.

I'm enjoying my Grosseto (Serie B) MM. I'm still only about halfway through my first season, as i play longish matches (around 15 mins). After a slow start, i'm now joint top with Livorno (i'm ahead on goal difference). Ultimately, i want to get promoted to Serie A and see how i fare.
I have a striker, Marco Carparelli, whose finishing stat is supposedly only 35 or something, yet he's the league's top scorer at the moment. Ok, he takes penalties (that stat is somewhere in the 70s) but he's scored mostly from open play. He's a had a sudden surge of form.

Sadly i went out of the Coppa Italia at the first hurdle, losing to Juventus 4-2 on aggregate. Shame, becuase if i beat them i would have faced Triestina, another Serie B side.

What's the deal with negotiating player contracts? Do you have to do that, or will the computer do it? Do you have to do it before the end of the season, or at the end?

Also, does it matter who is captain (does it make a difference tactically)? And which stat makes for a good captain - tactically aware? At the moment i just go with the real life captain.

I'm still playing a MM with Avelino.
I'm also halfway through the first season and Avellino are currently sixth, which is not bad considering the fact that they are last IRL...

I've just beaten the top two of my division (Mantova and Livorno).

I got beaten in the second round of the Cup by Udinese (each match ended on a 1-0 victory for the home team, but they scored two in extra times...bloody Quagliarella...if only i had one player like that...).

What's the deal with negotiating player contracts? Do you have to do that, or will the computer do it? Do you have to do it before the end of the season, or at the end?

If you do it yourself you can decide the terms and get to put them on long term contracts at lower wages (if they'll agree and if your negotiator is high enough) otherwise they'll sign a new contract at the end of the season on the terms of their choosing.

Also, does it matter who is captain (does it make a difference tactically)?

It doesn't matter no.

Back
Top Bottom