FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

EDIT: There's one thing I think desperately needs adding for next year and that's either the ability to change stadium assignments or the ability to "upgrade" your stadium. There is an option in the staff section to upgrade your stadium size and bring in more money (it costs millions of pounds as well), yet your stadium magically appears to be the exact same stadium.

I'm sick to death of the ground they've assigned to Tranmere now, for a start it's nothing like Tranmere's ground, and secondly it's the only stadium you get to see when you play in League One.

I agree 110% - The last time I played in PS2 the stadium got bigger as you upgraded unless you were in a liscenced one of course. There are so many things that EA should have done that maybe they didn't have enough time to get to - it's still no excuse though to miss the easiest parts of the "total football" experience when it's already on the old gen platforms.

I'm getting quite comfortable on Legendary difficulty now, having played a full season on it. It's still a nice challenge but I did manage to guide De Graafschap to the club's first ever major honour last night. My second season resulted in 9th place in the Eredivisie, two places below last year, but this was made up for by a return to the Dutch/KNVB Cup final, where last year we had lost to Feyenoord.

This time Den Haag were the opponents, who had shocked Ajax on penalties in the semis but couldn't continue that momentum into the final. It was all one-way on the day, goals from man-of-the-match Resit Schuurman, Jason Oost and Hugo Bargas bringing a convincing 3-0 win. That now puts us in the UEFA Cup Qualifiers for next season, a two-legged affair against Grasshoppers Zurich.

It would be nice if the MM was expanded more in terms of 'atmosphere'. Occasionally you'll get these very odd journalist questions about haircuts and cooking tv shows and whatever, but De Graafschap just won their first trophy and entered Europe for the first time, and I had no questions on the subject, no messages from the board etc. I think there might have been one of those cheap-looking newspaper headlines, that was it.

Having fun though.

jesues christ, im playing passing on manual, thru ball assisted, shooting semi, crossing semi and i fucking suck with espanol. All i do is tie or lose and i only have 1 league goal in 7 games. Any advice? i cant seem to ever cross to an open man, should i be using the jostle button on headers? when i scored today at lunch i almost broke the windows with my scream. Luis garcia slotted one home. it seems the keepers are super human as well

jesues christ, im playing passing on manual, thru ball assisted, shooting semi, crossing semi and i fucking suck with espanol. All i do is tie or lose and i only have 1 league goal in 7 games. Any advice? i cant seem to ever cross to an open man, should i be using the jostle button on headers? when i scored today at lunch i almost broke the windows with my scream. Luis garcia slotted one home. it seems the keepers are super human as well

Hm, what setting for build up are you using?
Are you having trouble creating chances, or just scoring?

I was having trouble with scoring on semi, but now I can score long range efforts by letting go of the running button (r1 in my case...) and pressing L2 before shooting.

On 1 on 1, try using r2 or tapping the shoot button, sometimes aiming at the near post.

If you have problems with creating chances, try to lure the opposition into your own half and then build up from there, tryig to exploit gaps in the defence.

Also, when running with ball, if a player of your team makes a run try to run into the space he left open, this works well in breaking the opposite defence.

Oh, and also, try passing in semi first... It might help.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips, im stilling having trouble and the only goals i socred, the very few, are one on ones.... im terrible at crossing, its soooooooooooooo hard. can people give me more tips, manual passing it seems its impossible to do give and go's....

Found a few dissapointing things after my first seaoson completed. I checked the best 11 after the season ended and saw some players I put in for like 2 games with a high rating. That is a really bad stat bug. There was also no mention of me being the season champ with 2 games left. And there was no mention of it in the last game either. Just some newspaper that read I was champ. That is the worst champ celebration I have seen in any football game.

thanks for the tips, im stilling having trouble and the only goals i socred, the very few, are one on ones.... im terrible at crossing, its soooooooooooooo hard. can people give me more tips, manual passing it seems its impossible to do give and go's....

Have you tried bending the cross with the right stick? I have improved my scoring from crosses using that method.
Also, try not to cross at full speed, try varying your crossing type (high, low, early)
Make sure your forwards are ready for crosses, and are open. Try crossing into space instead of into the strikers. See where they are running to.
It's really a shame that you can't practice these kinds of moves...

Can anyone recommend me both right and left fullbacks that are STRONG and good in the air? Preferably fast too. Using MU at the moment, and at the higher difficulties the CPU exposes both of my fullbacks (Evra and Neville) in the air so much that most of the goals they score are from headers. Those two are absolutely helpless in the air, and get muscled off the ball easily as well. I'm covering them with O'Shea and Brown for now but obviously they're not long term solutions... luckily I'm in the January transfer window and willing to spend some money.

So any suggestions? I'm thinking Riise for left back since he's strong and can go forward effectively as well. Thought of Richards from Man City and putting him at RB (which he has done before) but that's not his natural position and it's not like Man City will sell him to me either. Chimbonda maybe?

Richards would be my first choice for the right side.
For left side... Chiellini? I believe he has played as left back... Or maybe Abidal. Grosso is an option, too...

I started a MM with Bari from Serie B of Italy..
I won the Serie B, out on 2nd round of the national cup for Fiorentina (Mutu rox) in 2008-09 season
In the next season, in the 1st division, I won the Serie A and win the national cup..
In 2010-11, my new team is Lyon from France Ligue 1.. I won the Ligue 1 unbeaten, with 38 victories, won the UEFA Champions League and won the 2 national cups..
Now Im in 2011-12, and Im with Basel from Axpo Super League of Switzerland..
Lets win the UEFA Champions League.. ;D

OBS: I play in Fast Game Mod, World Class players and goalkepper, PS2 Version of FIFA09, Control Config #4

My team Luton Town finished top of the Coca Cola League 2 with 87 points at the end of the season. They were promoted to Coca Cola League One but I decided to move to Napoli in Serie A. Completely different experience. The teams are far tougher to break down and when attacking make fewer mistakes. Lost 2 games now against AC Milan and Juventus. Currently 6th with 14 points and about to play Lazio and then a Cup game against a Serie B team. Havent arranged any transfers but I have Mohammed Zidan and Alexandre Pato in my sights for January along with a new defender and midfielder. :)

I think it's funny how a lot of people in here post about how they win everything, go unbeaten for a season, have a striker who scores shitloads of goals etc.

You are just making it too easy for yourself and what you achieve is not actually an achievement because must be too easy.
If you could do this stuff with all manual controls on World Class, I would be impressed.

If you are going to play a Manager Mode I think you should limit what players you can sign based on whether they would go there in real life, play on all manual and play on either Professional or World Class.

You could also try starting as a League One/League Two club in England and whack the difficulty up to World Class or Legendary. If you find that too easy (automatic or manual controls, it doesn't matter), then you're better than Jesus.

I play on Professional with manual controls for everything apart from shooting and passing. Eventually I will make it all manual but even with this configuration my first season with Luton Town was very difficult. I was 21st at the end of November but due to some good scouting I managed to get a good striking pair and midfield otherwise I couldnt afford anyone. At Napoli even on Professional I still lose quite a few games especially against the big clubs like AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Roma etc. The players I target are those I believe who would fit well with the club like Zidan, Pato, Zokora etc and I enjoy the game like this.

I started a MM with Bari from Serie B of Italy..
I won the Serie B, out on 2nd round of the national cup for Fiorentina (Mutu rox) in 2008-09 season
In the next season, in the 1st division, I won the Serie A and win the national cup..
In 2010-11, my new team is Lyon from France Ligue 1.. I won the Ligue 1 unbeaten, with 38 victories, won the UEFA Champions League and won the 2 national cups..
Now Im in 2011-12, and Im with Basel from Axpo Super League of Switzerland..
Lets win the UEFA Champions League.. ;D

OBS: I play in Fast Game Mod, World Class players and goalkepper, PS2 Version of FIFA09, Control Config #4

wow great achievement...(sarcastic) way to go =p whats next now? have a player scoring 100 goals in a season?

I dont understand the enjoyment of winning everything so easy... get it more difficult challenge yourself...

I love building youth squads, Similar to the Arsenal theory, I havnt started one yet, im waiting for the update so my save wont be useless. I'll probably start in the 2nd div of Italy, or (if there is) 2nd div of Brazil, Hoping to manage United to the CL :DD

Just had a freaking cracker of a FA Cup final. I'm United, and facing none other than Liverpool in the finals, which obviously is enough to get the tensions running. It was a very tense and well fought match, with both teams missing chances and cards being aplenty. Tied 0-0 at regulation time, I was nearing the end of the first half of extra time when my late-season acquisition Pascal Chimbonda does this off a Corner:

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2068162

I nearly jumped off my chair screaming at that scrappy headed goal, the funniest thing is I can see that happening in an actual match, it looked very realistic with Reina choking and everything :D Held on for the win in the second half of extra time, bringing the cup home. Final stats, 12 shots and 5 on target for me, 8 shots and 2 on target for Liverpool, with 50/50 possession. Won the league, won the FA Cup but was eliminated from both Carling Cup (2-0 loss to Blackburn with my reserves) and Champions League (losing to Arsenal in shootout in the quarter finals, after going 0-0 on both legs!). All this on Semi pass/shooting and manual everything else on World Class.

I can say that I've enjoyed this game more than I enjoyed any of the WE/PES titles in the past now. Matches are so deadly accurate if you know how to play properly and scoring a well-worked goal in this game is just priceless, better than automated shooting of WE/PES.

If only if they sorted out the bugs this would be 10/10. :)

I play with QPR for 4 seasons and i have won shampionship and premiership. my club has 4.5 stars and we have won uefa cup:D

Hi guys am new here and i just want to tell you about my manager mode am doing on fifa 09 so far. hope you enjoy

I decided to go Everton in my manager mode, the first game i played was against wigan it was a great game but fellaini scored a header in the last minute to win the game for me. I then signed Mountinho from sporting lisbon which turned out to be a really good buy for me. Scoring 10 goals this season so far.

My next game was against liverpool and i truely OWNED! them 5-1 it was a terrific score for me and then. i started to go on a great run.

am now have 10 ganes left in the season and i hope to win the league.

Im have just recently started my MM with Aston Villa!

first game of the season just Drew 0-0 with Middlesbrough

and iv just sold all my reserve players and brought in

A, Gamberini ovr84 (CB)
A, Turan ovr79 (LM)
Bojan ovr79 (ST)

my second game was better then my first.. ended up winning 2-0 against west brom.
ill let you know how well i do in some of my next games. =]

Last edited:
im on a pritty good streak at the moment ..

aston villa 2 - 1 arsenal
aston villa 2 - 0 chelsea
aston villa 2 - 0 blackburn
aston villa 0 - 0 cheltenham (4-3) penalties
aston villa 1 - 0 sunderland

iv had alot of luck and im top of the league but i dont think ill be there for long

Im playing as Hereford united on legendary - first season, only 8 games gone.
Ive lost about 6, drawn 1 and won 1. Needless to say the board are playing up. Just started to find my feet on it now though and playing much better, so i hope i dont get sacked before i have chance to turn it around.
Played a lot with liverpool for a while and started to find it easy on legendary, so this is a good challenge.

:SHOCK:

i dont no whats happening i had such a good start now i just cant win!

aston villa 1 - 1 fulham
aston villa 1 - 2 portsmouth
aston villa 1 - 1 man city
aston villa 1 - 0 north hampton
aston villa 0 - 0 stoke

just cant score =0

:SHOCK:

i dont no whats happening i had such a good start now i just cant win!

aston villa 1 - 1 fulham
aston villa 1 - 2 portsmouth
aston villa 1 - 1 man city
aston villa 1 - 0 north hampton
aston villa 0 - 0 stoke

just cant score =0

You've scored 4 in your last 5! :D

Everton manager mode update

i just finished my first season today, i finished third in the league and am really happy with my finish as i get champions league football next season.:BOP: I beat Chelsea on the last day of the season 1-0 to earn a champions league place and the loss chelsea had lost them the title:P.

So now i have signed Bojan,and Turan which has been a real succes to me. Turan has been a real threat to the oppisiton every game and couldnt stop scoring he scored 20 goals since signing it January which really impreesed me and now i can wait for next season

Hope u enjoyed that little update :D

I'm getting towards the end of my fourth season with De Graafschap. The third season was a bit disappointing, exited Europe at the qualifiers and struggled domestically, finishing in the bottom half of the table.

With a new formation this season has gone much better. I'm using a 4-3-3 that becomes a 4-1-4-1 without the ball, adopting a defensive mentality. It's the first time (in FIFA) that I've used the team mentality setting, or whatever it's called, where you set one of the five stages between ultra-defensive and ultra-attacking. I find 'defensive' is working well for me as a starting point, increasing it if I need to chase a goal.

This has resulted in the fewest goals conceded in the league (and the most draws) but I'm well in the hunt for Europe - 6th with a handful of matches remaining.

Ajax transfer-listed Urby Emanuelson so I snapped him up, he's been very effective as the only one of my defenders given license to get forward. He leads the team in tackles & short passes, second in assists and even managed to score once on an overlapping run.

Back
Top Bottom