FIFA 09 Manager Mode Thread

I have won quite a few games now in MM. Luton Town are now 8th and my scouts found a great player. Enzo Rodrigues Ortiz (20 year old RF from Mexico). In his debut game he scored a hat-trick and hit the post twice! Absolutley brilliant player. I also managed to win my second round Johnston's Paint Trophy match against Tranmere Rovers on penalties. 4-1. :)

Seems a bit easy Proxi :SS
It seems it doesn't it, when reading through the posts I've made. I do have struggles at times in some games, but that's when I'm in the room with someone else like me lass who's doing other stuff and we're nattering and I'm not giving the game full attention. When it's just me and game I concentrate more. Can't with the beloved around :P

I'm thinking of going up another difficulty notch later. I do win the league, with Spurs. That is worrying. But, I do have the odd game where I'll play out of my skin and still lose in the Carling Cup or against the worse end of Prem opposition. It is the ODD game though.

Ah fuck it, I'll go up a notch later, I surely won't get relegated, I mean.. *cough*

Spurs are too good to go down

:CONFUSE:

Right now, the thing that is annoying me the most is that the scout is only finding crappy midfielders. He can find both defenders and attackers at around 82-84 but as soon as i tell him to go find midfielders he find me some 66 to 74 players whom have no place in my team what so ever. The scout is upgraded fully but he doesn't seem to understand what a good midfielder is. I NEED ME SOME SHOOOOTIN' MIDFIELDERS!!

Mostly semi. I have through pass on manual for obvious reasons. Shooting is too hard for me on manual.

I found that getting the large sponsor money with lower league teams is very annoying (€350.000 for 1 game!!??) and makes buying new and better players dull. Therefore I always scratch the last number of my cash to make it more interesting. Say you have €8.000.000 to invest, that'll become €800.000. This make it much more realistic and fun at the same time.
Grtz
Scorp1o

I found that getting the large sponsor money with lower league teams is very annoying (€350.000 for 1 game!!??) and makes buying new and better players dull. Therefore I always scratch the last number of my cash to make it more interesting. Say you have €8.000.000 to invest, that'll become €800.000. This make it much more realistic and fun at the same time.
Grtz
Scorp1o

Yep, I would also limit your staff fitness level to 4-5. As Tranmere I've upgraded it to 5 and I haven't had to rotate since mid-season.

I am playing for Hamburger SV. I am in the middle of second season.
My first season was awsome, i was first and i had about 20 points more then second team. I had about 50 GoalDifferent. I was fourth in Deutsche Pokal (domestic cup). I qualified to Champions League, and I got pwned from Inter Milan (4:0) and Aston Villa (2:0). I didnt play next matches yet... Today, in half of second season, i am first and second team has about 10 points less then me. My best player is Quaresma. I am really unrivalled in Bundesliga...

Playing WordClass, GoalKeepers Word Class to...

For my Grimsby manager mode I only buy players <23 in age, <65 in overall rating and less than <150k in value. It still gives me a fair amount of scope and I've signed some very exciting young players I never used before. Being a League2 (well now League1 after promotion) I like signing players that can play many different positions because smaller teams have smaller squads so need flexibility, I also don't upgrade my fitness coach beyond 5 so that I have to use squad rotation for midweek matches :)

Well, I've gone up to Legendary now, from around the 5th or 6th game in my 3rd season. In pre-season I signed Chiellini & Miguel Veloso, selling off Zokora & Woodgate who were getting on a bit!

Got knocked out of the Carling Cup third round by Chelsea, I didn't really see any difference in the match AI. Turned the game off, went back to it later on. Suddenly I can really sense the change in AI. Actually had to hold off Aston Villa from beating me a lot more badly than 1-0 at home. Simmed a game against West Brom and lost 2-1 away, then played Everton at home and drew 2-2. It was getting tough.

However, and this sounds strange... But I was playing at home to Manchester United and was under the cosh for 75 minutes, didn't get a chance never mind a shot in, and then paused to get some food and got totally distracted. I was an hour away then went back, unpaused the game and straightaway scored two nice goals and it could have easily been five! What the chuff?

I then went onto beat Blackburn 1-0 at home, Juventus 5-1 away in the CL (on sim) and then scored a backheel in a 4-0 win at home to PSG. Last game before I turned off was a 2-0 league win at home to Chelsea, which could have easily been a draw but all the same the AI seemed like World Class. I'm 16 games into the Premiership now and lay 3rd behind Arsenal top and Fulham (!) second!

I feel I'll probably start MM again at some point but not yet as I'm loving my teams shape and squad at the moment, everything gels. The fact I started on WC but after building a very good squad have only now gone to Legendary, makes me feel like a bit of a David Pleat.

Just started a MM with Leverkusen in the Bundesliga.
Controls are like this.
Passing: Manual
Through Passes: Manual
Shooting: Semi
Crossing: Manual
Lob Through passes: Manual.

As u can see i'm playing with "fully" manual in World Class. So hopefully this should be very entertaining.

Played my first match agains Borussia Mönchengladbach away and the game ended 0-2 to Leverkusen. I was the better side and controlled the whole match. Patrick Helmes was on fire and scored both of the goals and hit the post twice. Gladbach were also unlucky, striking the post once and missed a penalty by hitting the crossbar.

First game went well and i'm hoping to play like this in every match.

I've made 1 sining so far by snapping up Arshavin on free transfer.(Sorted the Free transfer before starting off ;))
I made an offer for Insua wich they rejected. I really need to strengthen my defence. Otherwise the team looks good.

This is the formation i'm gonna use. A classic 4-4-2 with Kiebling and Helmes up front, Arshavin and Barnetta on the wings, Vidal and Renato Augusto CM. And Castro and Kadlec as wing backs and Rolfes and Friedrich are my centre backs. Rolfes is the Captain.

2 be continued if u want me to share this adventure. ;)

Well, I guess Im going to say something about my MM too ;x

I started one 2 days ago with Ajax, playing on World Class level..
used the friendlys to get used to the game, as I was playing PES before.. had some dificulties at first, lost some games, but after some matches I remembered what is like to play FIFA and started to do well ;p

at the first season I tried to do some "cleaning" at the team, selling older players and keeping the new ones... so I sold some 30 y.o. players, and signed up some 18/20 yo.
I used 4-3-3 formation, with like 2 triangles at midF and Att.. got kicked off Dutch Cup at 2nd phase, but at the Eredvise I could make it all the way to champion =D

now Im at the beginning of 2nd season.. still on Ajax, some new players came in, now I have a good squad with 26 yo as max age..
Im first at Eredvise and also doing well at ECC (UCL), being leader of my group (Sporting CP, Anderletch, OL Marseille) with 12 pts in 4 games.. but I gotta say its being difficult to play both competitions, had to sacrifice my main players at the Eredvise..

well, just to finish, I continue to use that 4-3-3 formation, but also use a 3-4-3 one, almost the same of the other, but with more offensive power..

here goes my main squad:

GK: Stekelenburg
RB: Oleguer
CB: Vermaelen
CB: Sakho (signed from Paris SG)
LB: Emanuelson
CDM: Sno
RCM: Aissati
LCM: Sankhare (also signed from Paris SG)
RF: Suarez
CF: Huntelaar
LF: Bellote (my player)

how do you sort out the free transfer fiasco properly?? everytime i do it, it removes them from their national teams which i play with my brother often.

how do you sort out the free transfer fiasco properly?? everytime i do it, it removes them from their national teams which i play with my brother often.

Do the free transfers, save the squads, start manager mode, save manager mode, quit manager mode, reset squads to default, save squads. You now have a manager mode filled with free transfers and squads with national teams containing the appropriate players.

You can also keep two separate squad files, one with the free transfers done called "Manager" and one with national teams filled called "Default" or whatever, that way if you tend to restart manager mode often you won't have to keep redoing the free transfers.

Im with some doubts so I gotta ask.. what u mean by "free transfer fiasco"?

its like to get some players out of their team so u can start the MM and buy them from "free agent"? or Im far from the real meaning? ;p

Im with some doubts so I gotta ask.. what u mean by "free transfer fiasco"?

its like to get some players out of their team so u can start the MM and buy them from "free agent"? or Im far from the real meaning? ;p

What he means is that there are a number of players that are in the national teams but aren't available as free transfers when they should be because their club team is not in the game (Arshavin is a good example), so before starting manager mode you transfer them from their national team over to the free transfer pool, the list is here I plan to create a list of all the free transfers from the full 40 national teams but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Due to the fact signing these players on a free is easy when at a Premiership side, I'm considering putting all the players from the "free agents squad" onto some faraway sides before starting a new MM, whenever that may be. Feels like cheating really, just snapping up Arshavin on a free when I begin MM. He's my best player and I feel it's been handed on a plate. I'd much rather sign him with my precious cash. I have a massive conscience.

I started a manager mode with Serie B team Avellino.
After roughly 15 matches i'm currently 9th (thre are 22 teams in Serie B).
I'm doing better than Avellino IRL, they are 22the in Serie B with only 2 points...

I signed 4 of them right at the start, and felt like a cunt, but then Tottenham are in the poop right now, so desperate measures I guess. I'm halfway through Season 3 and there's still 8 of them unsigned. It is good that the AI teams have signed most of them (and in general have a significantly higher rate of transfer deals too), but I still think starting a MM and being able to snap up Arshavin & Akinfeev (who was the best keeper in the game from the end of Season 2 onwards) for free at the very start is pretty sneaky.

I started a manager mode with Serie B team Avellino.
After roughly 15 matches i'm currently 9th (thre are 22 teams in Serie B).
I'm doing better than Avellino IRL, they are 22the in Serie B with only 2 points...
Basement club, only 2 points so far... That rings a bell.

hehe proxi, I feel that way too.. I used to do that on PES, signing players whose team wasnt selected to the ML (as there is a 16 team limit on each league, and only 4 leagues).. and I felt a little "bad" for doing that, getting very good players without much effort..

I really prefer to do as u said, so I can later buy them..

but I need to say, EA should have put Zenit on the game.. UEFA Cup winner last season should be on the game..

but I still think starting a MM and being able to snap up Arshavin & Akinfeev (who was the best keeper in the game from the end of Season 2 onwards) for free at the very start is pretty sneaky.

Personally I agree but each to their own, as I mentioned above I set myself personal rules to play by to make the game more challenging and a smidge more realistic :)

Just seen this thread :)

Ended my first season on Saturday. I finished 2nd with Spurs in the Premiership behind Chelsea. Lost 3 games, won the Carling Cup too.

My team now is :

Gomes
--
Hutton
King
Woodgate
Bale
--
Quaresma
Modric
Diego
Dos Santos
--
Aguero
Ibrahimovic

Subs :

Cesar
Corluka
Gattuso
Veloso
Lennon
Arshavin
Bent

Awesome game. Ibrahimovic is now rated 95 overall, and is worth £59m
Aguero is class too. Pace and finishing all the way. Quaresma's crossing ability is unreal, the swerve and dip on them is amazing, and his dribbling skills are awesome too. Cost me £18m from Inter.

Loving it.

Just finished 2 horrible games with Grimsby Town in my MM. I'm loving this game but feel there are still minor instances where the AI wrestles control from you. Its not as blatant as it used to be in PES but I'm certain its still there.

eg. I was playing Middlesborough in my 3rd round FA Cup tie. I certainly did not expect to win this match but managed to hold it to 0-0 right throughout. Then in the 88th minute a fluky bounce gave my striker a chance in the box and I'm up 1-0!! I'm stunned, I instantly push the tactical options to Ultra Defensive and settle in to defend for a couple of minutes. Straight away the CPU scored from the very next attack. It felt exactly like PES used to, like my controller was broken. There was NOTHING I could do to stop it. They just played several inch perfect passes and scored from a glancing header. (You know, one of those headers where your player doesn't even jump to compete no matter how early and how many times you press the buttons. Straight out of Fifa 08.)

Middlesborough then went on to smash me in extra time and it finished 3-1. I was ready to smash my 360 to pieces. But I get myself together and convince myself its a fluke. So I jump straight back into a League 2 game (I'm sitting at 2nd after 4 straight wins) and start instantly dominating play. But every chance I get either misses by inches or hits the bar. Its 0-0 at half time. The CPU is playing really rough and gets a player sent off. I quickly pop in 2 goals straight after half time and feel like I'm cruising. I'm still dominating possession and am loving being up a man. But, the CPU still manages to score a goal a man down. 2-1. No big deal I figure, continue to play short passes, contain the ball, continue to slam on shots that miss the target slightly. Then I'm elated as the CPU gets another player sent off!! I figure I'm home and hosed. Not so. Its like they are not even at a disadvantage, even though every player they have is fatigued beyond belief they continue to press like mad men and equalise! I'm pretty annoyed by this point.

Then in the 89th minute they shoot straight at my goalie, he parries it into the legs of one of my defenders and it goes in. OWN GOAL. I lose 3-2, up 11 men to 9. The final shot count is me 18 shots, 13 on target. CPU 7 shots 3 on target. I turn the console off in disgust. I'll play again but this kind of cheesy balancing on part of the AI drives me insane.

I'm gonna reply the same thing as i did about PES: thingsd like that happen IRL...

I played a match against Albino Leffe in my Avellini MM. I dominated the whole match, Albino Leffe got two red cards when defenders fouled attackers that were through on goal...i had lots of opportunities bit i couldn't score and then they had one counter-attack...0-1...that happens.

Did you watched Richardson's freekick against Fulham saturday...that ball touched the woordwork 3 times...if this would have happened in a video game, people would complain...sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

PS: i have to admit that in PES AI was cheating way too much...

Did you watched Richardson's freekick against Fulham saturday...that ball touched the woordwork 3 times...if this would have happened in a video game, people would complain...sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
Very true, and it's strange you brought this up too because only last night I had a shot hit both posts in MM and an opponent online hit both posts too from a free-kick, with my keeper then diving to get it, parrying it onto the post and straight in. It happened at high-speed. Very silly. Very Spurs.
Gomes
--
Hutton
King
Woodgate
Bale
--
Quaresma
Modric
Diego
Dos Santos
--
Aguero
Ibrahimovic

Subs :

Cesar
Corluka
Gattuso
Veloso
Lennon
Arshavin
Bent

Awesome game. Ibrahimovic is now rated 95 overall, and is worth £59m
Aguero is class too. Pace and finishing all the way. Quaresma's crossing ability is unreal, the swerve and dip on them is amazing, and his dribbling skills are awesome too. Cost me £18m from Inter.
We have a few similar tastes man! I'm nearly finished on Season 3, and here is my team.

Akinfeev
-----
Sergio Ramos (RB)
Chiellini (CB)
King (CB)
Agger (LB)
-----
Corluka (DM)
Modric (CAM)
Quaresma (LM)
-----
Lennon (RW)
Arshavin (SS)
Aguero (LF)

Subs:-
Garay (CB)
Jesus Navas (RM)
Miguel Veloso (DM)
Dos Santos (LW/RW/CF/CAM) - he's my whore
Bojan (CF)
Rafael Da Silva (RB)
McGeady (LM/RM)
Bale (LB)

Arshavin is on 95, Aguero 91 and Corluka is 94 albeit has to wear a bonnet or his points bleed out.

Currently lying 3rd in the Premiership with 6 games left 4 points behind Arsenal, 2 points behind Fulham (WTF). Still in the FA Cup, scraping past Man Utd & Chelsea on the way. Playing Chelsea (sick of the sights of them) in the CL quarters too, won 3-0 at home in the first leg. The AI is beginning to slightly annoy me, as even teams worse than me can have passing moves lasting 30+ passes through the tightest of spots and I can never retrieve the ball. Right now it's a case of hoping they don't score and me attacking on the break.

However, I'm still getting significant changes to the AI following a system reboot. I don't like to quit matches at all but I got gang-raped against Villa on my first game last night, I was 4-0 down at half-time to 4 unstoppable striking moves, my defenders were in so much awe they'd even stop and watch, one of them even allowing Carew to walk through him. And I'd had more possession and shots at half-time too, so I got annoyed and rebooted the PS3. Played Villa and it was totally different. Balanced play, missed shots by both of us and I drew a game any team could have won.

My MM with Notts County is a struggle I'm currently 3rd from bottom and no win in four, my other MM which I play 2vAI with a mate has got a little odd, it seems the old switch on the "AI help mode" I found in 08 has kicked in...

Back
Top Bottom