FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

alter you custom tactics too aswell as your run frequency and attackers midfielders and defenders will run into the box if you want them too..alhough you will leave yourself wide open at the back

If you're frustrated by lack of movement you have a few options:

1. Increase the 'Run Frequency' slider to something you prefer.
2. Increase your 'Build Up Speed' custom tactic setting and your teammates will make more forward movements in the first two thirds of the pitch.
3. Increase your 'Chance Creation Passing' custom tactic setting to encourage more penetrating runs in the attacking third of the pitch.
4. Change your 'Build Up Positioning' and 'Chance Creation Positioning' custom tactic settings from 'Organised' (stick to the formation) to 'Free-Form' (freedom to leave their positions).
5. Select/Sign players with High Attacking Work-Rate, they are clearly more active off-the-ball. Perhaps you could also combine this with strong Attack Positioning attributes if you're lucky.

Think I've found my ideal set up for this now. Camera plays a huge importance, the game seems to have sprung to life when switching to tele cam (height 10 zoom 7).

My sliders are now set to;

Sprint speed 47/47
Acceleration 47/47
Shot Error 50/50
Pass Error 75/80
Shot speed 49/49
Pass Speed 46/46
Injury frequency 85/85
Injury Severity 60/60
Keeper ability 50/50
Marking 50/50
Run Frequency 60/60
Line height 55/55
Line length 50/50
Line width 50/50
Fullback positioning 50/50

Not a huge change to defaults but enough to slow it down perfectly for that particular camera view, and gives you enough time on the ball but also you're attacked by the AI quite nicely.

I've found with pass assistance set so high, it pays for me to put passing to assisted in the controls. Manual players will laugh at that but I find the more automated passing is, with the pass error set so high, the more you notice pass quality from player to player. Try a 40 yard crossfield ball at full power with my Virtual Pro and it'll balloon into the air, go wide of its target etc. Try the same pass with Xavi and he'll curl a beautiful pass that skids across the turf as you'd imagine he would. Not for everyone but I love it. Shooting, I set to semi, and through pass I set to manual. I also have the game on slow speed.

Tried some Spanish matches with these settings tonight and they were awesome. Beat Athletic Bilbao 3-1 with Barcelona then in the return match, Llorente punished my bad defending with a hat-trick as they out footballed me and won 4-1!

I'm finding on my settings that pass accuracy for the overall team stats really vary. The match I lost 4-1, the AI's passing was on 89% and mine on 80%, but a previous match with two Premier League teams both myself and the AI were around the 75% accuracy mark, which during a 14 minute match translates to a decent number of passes that go astray. The AI also regularly has an equal share of possession after 90 minutes, sometimes more possession than me, and that's something I've never witnessed in a FIFA game before.

Oh, I'm on Professional level too. I'd reccommend trying these settings if you're after a slower, more continental style of game :)

Speaking of pass completion, I've been looking at some stats for last season's Barcelona v Arsenal match and the stats were just as high as you get in this game, something I thought it had all wrong. Xavi finished the real life match with pass completion of 94%, Wilshere 87%, Fabregas 81% etc. That doesn't translate of course if you get the same stats in FIFA with lower ranked teams but at least it's realistic at the top end of the game.

Last edited:
Thanks Placebo :)

Do you find that the CPU marking slider just makes them get closer to the attacker or actually more aggressive in the tackle? 90% of my games with the above settings are tough, but on the odd occasion it still felt like I could still dribble into the area and score with little trouble. Maybe it's because I was using top ranked dribblers, but for the most part I'd be closed down except for say one occasion during the match. Maybe it's just an occasional problem with playing on Professional. Was thinking about altering the marking slider to see if the AI can tighten up in it's own penalty area.

Closer really, one thing it really needed was an aggression slider. I find that I can win free kicks quite easy if I really play for them but most of the time it's 2 or 3 AI fouls per match, maybe I'm clutching at straws but I think it's also related to the advantage rule working pretty well, I wonder how many fouls a match there'd be if the ref didn't play advantage...

My realistic slider's
---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 40/40 (no cheating sprint)
Acceleration - 48/48
Shot Error - 51/51
Pass Error - 57/57 (jump ball)
Shot Speed - 51/51
Pass Speed - 54/54
Injury Frequency - 50/50
Injury Severity - 50/50
Goalkeeper Ability - 35/35
Positioning: Marking - 55/55
Positioning: Run Frequency - 30/30 (or 25/25)
Positioning: Line Height - 45/45
Positioning: Line Length - 55/55
Positioning: Line Width - 60/60
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 65/65
Power Bar - 65

NEED:
aggression slider
fatigue slider

Last edited:
lowering acceleration and speed (48 or 48) has been my key to success (next to changing the camera to broadcast/tele angle:8 zoomed out max)

The positioning sliders have a huge impact (especially run frequency)
However I think they shouldn't have been global sliders, but part of team tactics.

High run frequency help to have an easier built-up. However I'm with EGOeast, modern football does not have that huge amount individual runs.
It's more difficult to find an unmarked player though.

High run frequency (or any corresponding team tactics) should have an (huge) impact on the players' fatigue.

Any news on what the updates are for? Anything gameplay related?

I've found raising run frequency increases the speed of AI build up, so for the moment I'm barely touching it. Line height raised just a fraction has been a nice change in my game, in tele the play looked too stretched out. Now it's more of a midfield battle with both sides squeezed up a liitle more, but not enough to see many one on ones like you'd get in FIFA09.

Re: FIFA 12 slider settings

After bumping the difficulty to professional, I'm finally seeing a little of the dirtier side of the CPU that I didn't notice much if at all at semi pro.

Mainly being, the super quick CPU turn and bursts. Especially the turns.. My sliders for speed and acceleration are both set to 50 default. What dyou guys deem the best to lower the speed of these terms. Any advice please?

Did it help in reducing the super quick twists that they do? I see some leave speed at default whilst some change both down to 47-48..

Don't have enough time to try out those sliders myself on weekdays yet though..

My latest iteration:

On Professional all sliders exactly as posted by JDM with all manual controls except one--through pass switched to assisted.

There is something funny about the manual through ball. I think it has something to do with the nature of through balls--they require the second player to intuit the path of the pass and make a run. With through pass switched to manual, I find the AI teammate rarely predicts the path of the pass, and rarely makes the run. After three quarters of a season of otherwise great gameplay I realized that I had only managed two or three through balls and I had, in fact, not attempted a through ball in such a long time. Maybe it's just in my head, but I find the through ball useless in manual controls--I just go ahead a offer a short pass instead. But as we all know, the loveliest moments in football are the sublime through balls. So, with some regrets, I turned that one control to assisted. Sigh...

I play fifa in full manual controls and the best settings (for now)I've tried are Jdm's...
I changed only user shot speed (52) and cpu pass error (65).
Thanks a lot Jdm , great work!:BYE:

Positioning: Line Length

Specifies how stretched or compact the team will try to keep their line for the pitch.

Referring to the above slider, is this referring to just your back line or each unit of your team in general (def, mid, forwards). Kind of going back and forth and not sure where to place it.

My interpretation of 'Line Length' is that it's the distance between your centre backs and your strikers, when the opposition has the ball. Vertical compactness of the whole team.

On lower values, the gaps between the lines will be smaller. The midfield line will squeeze closer to the defensive line behind them, and attackers will similarly drop deeper when defending.

Haven't fully figured out for sure whether the defensive line also moves higher (to meet in the middle, so to speak), or whether everyone else just squeezes back towards the defensive line. I suspect the former, without conviction.

Thanks nerf, good explanation and theories. I put it at 100 during a game and there seemed to be more room up and down the pitch. So it seems that near default, either plus or minus a bit, may be the way to go.

Yeah I tried setting line height to 55 to see what it does, liked it initially but games tend to feel more counter attack like, with the extra room to run into. Gonna try making it maybe, between 50 and 45 and see how that fares.

What do you guys have your speed and acceleration sliders on? Took placebo's advice and reduced acceleration to both 48 for user and CPU and the quick turns really got reduced. Nice.

Tried manual passing for the first time on Pro. You use this setting with Pass Error set on 0 to replicate the players passing stats most realistically? So far I am finding this year's manual passing to be a shade easier than in the past.

I agree. In the arena the difference between 50 and 51 shot power is definitely not just 1% I don't know how they are calculating the scales but 51 suddenly allows you to hit much harder shots from distance, they also seem a lot more accurate too for some reason.

Try just flicking between 50 and 51 in the arena and see how much difference it makes. It's a shame because somewhere in between the two would be just right for me...

lol so if that makes a huge difference what the hell is 99 like lol

I need to expirement with this stuff

Right, yet again I've spent most of my time tinkering with the sliders, and managed to close up the game a bit more. I had been finding that defences were too deep, allowing for midfielders to run a bit too freely. So, I changed the line height slider to 68/68, run frequency to 55/55 and marking to 60/60. Lovely. The games tonight were transformed from open counter attacking fests to close midfield battles. Absolutely loved it.

The lines between defence, midfield, and attack close the higher the slider goes, so at 68 I'm finding that the midfield is nicely close together, defenders are within touching distance, and full backs are naturally that bit more available to make a run into midfield. Feels more like a proper paced football match where you need to use more close control and look for a pass due to midfielders being much closer to each other. I was concerned it might mean that you could get in behind the defences easier as their line is higher up the pitch, but apart from one occasion where I took a quick throw in, that rarely ever happens.

I also experimented with that 'bug' I found where if you lower the acceleration/sprint speed, it seemed to stop the AI from tackling you when you run diagonally into the box. I found that I could occasionally still do that with the sliders set to 47/47 and even 48/48.

However, it needs more testing, but it seemed like I'd stumbled onto a link between sprint speed and the aggressiveness of AI tackling. I lowered acceleration down to 47 and put sprint speed up from my usual, to 49. It was great. The lowering of acceleration takes away the unrealistic sharpness to player turns on the ball, and is still close enough to the sprint speed slider to not be unbalanced. Oddly, the sprint speed being increased to 49 seems to mean that while the players are still more realistically paced thanks to the lower acceleration, it affects their aggressiveness. I have no idea why but I'm definitely going to have another look at that. With a tiny increase to sprint speed, but lower acceleration of 47, I could diagonally dribble across the AI penalty area at the same slower speed as before but the AI closes off the space you dribble into much more effectively, and aggressively, which is something you'd expect if you try dribbling into a team's penalty box.

So I think I may have fixed the 'non AI tackle' bug while still keeping the game slightly slower and more realistic. Which is fantastic.

The one problem I'm finding however is how overpowered the knock on with the right stick is. It's not an issue when defending, the AI rarely uses it, but with everyone slightly slower I can absolutely tear away from full backs with it. I played a game however deciding to ignore the move altogether, and it was nicely balanced. Using just sprint, I could just about get clear of a full back with the right player, otherwise it was a tight battle down the wings. Really cool.

Anyways thought it might help anyone still playing with sliders!

Back
Top Bottom