FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

Haha thanks Nerf! I've since lowered passing down to 75, it's the only way I can get the CPU to misplace passes as well unfortunately. That video though was particularly scrappy leading up to the goal though!

Rooney10, yeah it does. Try pausing the game and changing the sliders in the options mid match. With my speed and acceleration both set to 44 for both the user and CPU, it means players take far longer to accelerate and so generally their body movement speed is far slower than on default. I had to reduce full on sprint speed too in order to balance things out, so it wasn't possible to outpace people too easily at full speed who can't accelerate as fast after the sliders. It's important to change sliders but make sure the game remains balanced.

We seem to have the same sort of idea of things we want in a football game LTFC, would you mind posting your sliders for you and the CPU up?

I don't have the game yet, but when I do I want to get right into as much of a realistic game as possible...

Seems like the sliders are a godsend btw, EA implemented something right for once!? :P

I barely touched them in the early release, just passing error upto like 100 for the CPU (just to test) and in one game all it done was make the ball bobble, but in the other they couldn't make a pass at all... maybe I should have tweaked more before getting all angry over the game.

Ah well, I'll get it someday.

I've raised my injury setting sliders significantly now as I don't feel there are enough injuries on the previous 80 for occurrence, I'm now trialling 95/95 for occurrence and 50/60 for severity with the AI having severity slightly higher as they don't seem to be getting enough injuries anyways, what I'm hoping to end up with is something like 3-4 players injured at any one time and at least one of them being long term (2 months or more) I think that's a reasonably accurate reflection of what teams usually go through, scrolling through the injury list for the AI teams they probably average something like 1.5 injured players per team with a good mix of longer and medium term injuries in there.

So far this season I've had I think 3 long term injuries (2x3 months and 1x2 months) and about 5 or 6 shorter term (3-14 days) all but 2 injuries were during a match and 1 of the long term injuries was a training one.

Lovely finish, LTFC! I think Pass Error 80 looks a little high for my tastes, but it's good that you're enjoying it. I have mine set to 57/62 at the moment, speed settings both at 48/48.

You can't really go that high for Pass Error. When its really high players pass like junk. The ball "pops up" constantly even on short to intermediate passes rather than just how the cpu places the ball in terms of direction. The higher you go the uglier passes get, not just direction.

I have gone down to 50/50 for speed and acceleration on slow gameplay. I think if you were playing on normal, adjusting the player speed and acceleration seems obvious. I just find that on slow game speed dropping the acceleration and speed slider below default makes the game and players feel awfully sluggish.

I've raised my injury setting sliders significantly now as I don't feel there are enough injuries on the previous 80 for occurrence, I'm now trialling 95/95 for occurrence and 50/60 for severity with the AI having severity slightly higher as they don't seem to be getting enough injuries anyways, what I'm hoping to end up with is something like 3-4 players injured at any one time and at least one of them being long term (2 months or more) I think that's a reasonably accurate reflection of what teams usually go through, scrolling through the injury list for the AI teams they probably average something like 1.5 injured players per team with a good mix of longer and medium term injuries in there.

So far this season I've had I think 3 long term injuries (2x3 months and 1x2 months) and about 5 or 6 shorter term (3-14 days) all but 2 injuries were during a match and 1 of the long term injuries was a training one.

This one has been killing me to find the right spot. I was on 70/65 for both and have since lowered and just general tweaking. I think having injury quite high but the length of the injury should maybe stick around near the default.

having an average of about 3-4 players hurt per club seems quite solid.

Also, quite curious what has yours or anyone reading this. What has the longest injury period you have seen? So far I have seen 2x2 months injuries. I have had about 5 injuries, 4 during game.

For the league mode I've got injuries on 95/60, iirc. Putting it down to 90 seemed to really diminish the amount, although I'm only playing league games so the injuries are only ingame (no training) and the players are always full/healthy as they don't get tired, have no form/morale.

I now average a "sub" injury every game with half being my own and the other half being AI players. Every match there are between to 2 to up 10 players picking up temporary niggles that they run off during the match.

So you end up with a couple of players not being able to give 100% for about 5-10min., a couple of players have to see the physio and one ends up hobbling off to be substituted. I'm not sure how many of the injuries have been down to tackles/collision, but there have been a few. And so far I've played 15 matches. It feels realistic (although sadly there hardly seem to be longterm injuries, but I'm not sure if that's down to the mode...or I need to bump severity up to 70).

if you use manual pass you cant use d-pad?

Because it doesnt offer 360 passing? only 8 directions?

I tried manual passing using d-pad and that was my conclusion? correct?

You can't really go that high for Pass Error. When its really high players pass like junk. The ball "pops up" constantly even on short to intermediate passes rather than just how the cpu places the ball in terms of direction. The higher you go the uglier passes get, not just direction.

I have gone down to 50/50 for speed and acceleration on slow gameplay. I think if you were playing on normal, adjusting the player speed and acceleration seems obvious. I just find that on slow game speed dropping the acceleration and speed slider below default makes the game and players feel awfully sluggish.

I can see how many wouldn't like having lower acceleration and speed sliders, mine is a little sluggish but for me that's great.

It is true that with pass error set really high, you do get the kinds of passes you talk about, but not all the time. Two factors really improve the passing with the error set so high; the passing and technique of the guy on the ball, and using the slow dribble (LB on xbox) left trigger button to pass. The first is of course obvious, I now notice a massive difference between the passes between say a Swindon Town player and a Barcelona one. Also, using the left trigger slow dribble button when passing seems to eliminate a certain amount of the height in passes, mainly because they're taking greater care over their ball control using this modifier than when not using it. It's great, it forces you to use the controls more creatively with worse players to try and keep the ball under control. But each to their own on the slider front, what's good for one person is bad for another, so it's all good.

We seem to have the same sort of idea of things we want in a football game LTFC, would you mind posting your sliders for you and the CPU up?

I don't have the game yet, but when I do I want to get right into as much of a realistic game as possible...

Seems like the sliders are a godsend btw, EA implemented something right for once!? :P

I barely touched them in the early release, just passing error upto like 100 for the CPU (just to test) and in one game all it done was make the ball bobble, but in the other they couldn't make a pass at all... maybe I should have tweaked more before getting all angry over the game.

Ah well, I'll get it someday.

Sure thing, currently it's all set to 50 with the exception of;

Sprint speed 44
Player acceleration 44
Pass error 78
Player run frequency 66
Injury frequency 80
Injury severity 75

And I also set the sliders as equal for both user and CPU. I haven't tried different stats for the CPU, I don't like the idea of it. For me, say, increasing acceleration for the user yet making it slower for the CPU would surely create an advantage? By doing the same settings for both, my game feels nicely balanced with the changes still making a difference to both teams. Pass error for example doesn't just affect me, with it set so high the AI is making lots of dodgy passes and slicing volleyed clearances etc.

All these are changing as I alter them gradually to suit my game, but it makes it so much better for me at any rate. I'm sure others will find it awful and slow, sluggish, but for me, especially on Broadcast camera full zoom, players move and turn far more realistically. Physical challenges feel more balanced to me, and the increased numbers of players staying down on the ground after challenges due to temporary injury is also brilliant.

Righteo, here's a brief clip of my gameplay as seen with the sliders adjusted. All the same as I've mentioned above except I experimented with pass error set to a whopping 80.

I think the video shows players moving at more realistic speeds, passes look bobbly and awkward but note how both myself and the AI frequently give the ball away in this clip. Both teams did manage to keep possession a lot better than this in the game, it's just funny that a particularly scrappy bit of play let to a through pass and goal, where Hernandez plays a manual through ball and Rooney rounds the keeper to score. I played on World Class, and both teams' passing accuracy at the end were in the 70% region, well below the average percentage you usually get on the default game.

Some will think the game looks slow and error ridden but when you play it feels perfect, at least to me anyways!

YouTube - 051011 0285

No foul unfortunately :( But I have been getting a few, even won two penalties last night and missed them both :(

Hmm, on the one hand, that video looks very good, thing is on the other hand, what i just found out on PES 2012. i think what EA should really look at in terms of team individuality but mainly in player individuality and AI intelligence is players 'knowing' their limits. Just seems even in that small clips. the AI could not help but play bad passes, it wasn't trying to think that 'shit, i might not make that pass' let's do a safe one or long ball.

Shame players don't try to play to their strengths.

What I'm gathering, this game is rather unique, looks interesting and playabe but well, strange.

What did you just find out about pes?

What i found is poor players just like in real life, REALLY try to play to their strengths and don't try things they aren't capable of. If their passing, ball control, dribbling etc.. is shit, they will either play a safe pass or just hoof the ball to the striker. This is what i find interesting about hearing feedback about this pass error slider. it's like you can see individuality there but, well stupidity in that players will constantly try this they aren't capable of. I mean for Newcastle, take Jonas for example, would constantly try difficult passes when he knows that he isn't a great passer.

It's still good none the less, much better than the perfect passing crap from before! The 'worry' is that once everyone gets comfortable with tactical defending especially it will become very very easy.

Good to see EA showing potential for once, BUT the key and ABSOLUTE KEY is to harass them to give us proper momentum/inertia and variable ball control. This should be the number 1 priority for FIFA 13,

wow, FIFA 13, doesn't sound good, they should maybe call it FIFA special edition or something :CONFUSE: Can't have 13 in the title :SMUG:

Sure thing, currently it's all set to 50 with the exception of;

Sprint speed 44
Player acceleration 44
Pass error 78
Player run frequency 66
Injury frequency 80
Injury severity 75

And I also set the sliders as equal for both user and CPU. I haven't tried different stats for the CPU, I don't like the idea of it. For me, say, increasing acceleration for the user yet making it slower for the CPU would surely create an advantage? By doing the same settings for both, my game feels nicely balanced with the changes still making a difference to both teams. Pass error for example doesn't just affect me, with it set so high the AI is making lots of dodgy passes and slicing volleyed clearances etc.

All these are changing as I alter them gradually to suit my game, but it makes it so much better for me at any rate. I'm sure others will find it awful and slow, sluggish, but for me, especially on Broadcast camera full zoom, players move and turn far more realistically. Physical challenges feel more balanced to me, and the increased numbers of players staying down on the ground after challenges due to temporary injury is also brilliant.

LTFC

Do you play the game as it was out of the box, Or do you play it with the downloaded update from day 1? I ask this because without the update and straight out of the box the game seems to play with more frequent injuries.

Last edited:
I've put user pass/shot error to 0 as I play full manual.
Injuries are at 70 frequency and 60 severity for both user and CPU.
I've reduced AI acceleration to 45 and added pass error of 65.
That's it so far.

I'm not happy with the way that AI dribbles and twists'n'turns.
It's a very cheap way of rubbing the lack of inertia in our face and that's the biggest roadblock between FIFA and greatness. It always has been and they should really do something about it.

A couple of questions.

1) Is there anything to improve the quality of defending? I don't get how neither my defence or the computer's simply can't hold a line. I just played Everton v Arsenal and we both end up running through each others defence. I've tried pushing the line back, more compact and upping man marking and the only difference i see is in the man marking. That's not great when the other 3 defenders go AWOL though. Happens for both me and the CPU though, as you will see with my example in 3b.

2) I take it there's nothing i can do to slow-down the actual game? I mean i can alter speed/acceleration for the player's running speed but i still i think the game is too fast in general, even on slow 10 minute matches. By that i mean the way players take touches and turns and the way the players instantly react etc etc. It's really hectic to me.

3a) How can i balance the running speed? I'm using 40 for both speed/acceleration and there are times where i feel faster on the ball than without it. This happened with Fellaini and Distin. That obviously doesn't make sense. Is it better to have one of either acceleration or speed higher than the other?

3b) In addition and on a similar point to the above and question 1, here's an example of something that just happened. I brought Anichebe on in the 80th minute and for some reason he had two oppurtunities were he just ran through the Arsenal defence. Anichebe is not a good player really but for some reason he was insanely quick and had the most perfect dribbling first touches. Sometimes it feels that it's a problem with defenders being too slow and attackers being too quick and good at dribbling. I've no problem with defenders being slow, because they generally are, but the balance is all wrong considering how attackers just seem to speed past them on the ball given that the defenders have 5-10 yards on them. Why was Anichebe's dribbling so awesome? Is there any way to change the sliders so you get some dribbling error, bad touches etc?

Last edited:
Had a couple more injuries towards the end of the season which was nice, worst was a dislocated shoulder for Danny Batth after jumping for a ball, out for 7 weeks, and another 11 days with a shoulder injury for Andros Townsend, so pretty happy with these settings right now, AI also get a few bad injuries which is great :)

LTFC

Do you play the game as it was out of the box, Or do you play it with the downloaded update from day 1? I ask this because without the update and straight out of the box the game seems to play with more frequent injuries.

I never played the game out of the box, first time I loaded it up I downloaded the patch when prompted, so I really don't know what it's like pre-patch unfortunately :)

Had a couple more injuries towards the end of the season which was nice, worst was a dislocated shoulder for Danny Batth after jumping for a ball, out for 7 weeks, and another 11 days with a shoulder injury for Andros Townsend, so pretty happy with these settings right now, AI also get a few bad injuries which is great :)

Feel a bit bad, I did a sliding tackle in my CM match and injured Holt of Norwich. Poor guy looked like he'd twisted his arm backwards before hobbling off :CONFUSE:

Started a CM yesterday, playing 5 matches. So far have had 3 injuries, all in-game. Agger got injured in a header collision, falling awkwardly and was out for 2 weeks. Gerrard pulled up (not sure how) and was out for a week and in the penultimate friendly Carroll got tackled and broke his ankle! 3 months out. The AI have had 3 or 4 injuries, not sure for what though. I checked the injurylist for all the prem teams (after the 1st match of the season) and only Rooney was injured (2 months I think). But then I'm not sure if the injuries for the AI develope once everyone plays or that there are a few pre-season aswell.

My settings;
95/60 for the AI 90/70 for me. Seems a very good balance so far after about 20 competitive matches.

Yeah my injuries are set to 80/65 and though the AI have had a few in 7 games, I've yet to have one, so might increase this.

I've found that passing on semi with error of 75 is way too hard for me, so I've relented and moved back to assisted passing then increased the error slightly. I can now pass more comfortably and crap passers of the ball still get it wrong sometimes. It's not made the game in CM any easier, I'm still sometimes having less possession of the ball than the AI and haven't won a CM game yet!

I'm using the same settings as you LTFC. In my first game the computer had 2 red injuries within the first 3 minutes. That was odd.

Here's mine currently, thanks to JDM for the layout ;)

---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 50/50
Acceleration - 50/50
Shot Error - 50/45
Pass Error - 70/75
Shot Speed - 50/50
Pass Speed - 60/60
Injury Frequency - 95/95
Injury Severity - 50/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 50/50
Positioning:Marking - 60/60
Positioning:Run Frequency - 80/70
Positioning: Line Height - 45/45
Positioning: Line Length - 50/50
Positioning: Line Width - 50/50
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 80/70
Power Bar - 60

@ LTFC,

Are you using tactical defending? I just couldn't defend with that on, and my attack is poor aswell, so I went back to Legacy to atleast be able to keep a decent amount of cleansheets and work on my attacking game. Atm it's really nicely balanced for me, the AI can still create good chances and you can't just rush in as they shield the ball aswell. Sometimes you still get the round-the-corner animation (which feels too easy) to win the ball back, but the balance between me losing possesion in their half and the otherway around using Legacy is about equal now.

Played the 3 friendlies and 2 league matches yesterday to start off my CM with Liverpool. Won the 1st friendly 1-0 against Brugge, drew 0-0 away at Marseille and lost the final game at home to Osasuna 0-3. The team were really rattled to see Andy go off.

CM LIVERPOOL season 1
1st league match at home to Sunderland, played well and created some good chances, hitting the post with a great Suarez shot. However in the 70th min. they score from a corner to make it 0-1. I switch my team up and bring on Bellamy and he manages to dribble past to players and slot the ball in the far low corner. Final score 1-1. 2nd match away at Arsenal, comfortable game although Arsenal had more possesion. Downing opened the scoring (60th min) from the left by cutting inside and slotting in it in the far corner. Then in the 70th min. he took the corner that found Gerrard free in the box to make it 2-0. The team were leading 2-0 and just keeping possesion. At first the away crowd were cheering every pass but then the home crowd started to boo, haha. In the 89th minute (was hoping I could recreate the real score again) I conceded a freekick near the sideline near my box, oddly enough my two man wall comprised of Carra and Agger, so obviously Mertesacker (at about 8foot tall) won the resulting cross and they scored. Went up the other end to keep them away from my goal and managed to win a corner and score to make it 3-1 in the 90th min. I thought that was the end of it and eased off, but they still managed to get a goal via some good dribbling from Gervinho and make it 2-3 FT.

As for transfers, everybody wants to buy Carra! Was thinking about selling him so played Coates in the final friendly...0-3 loss made sure I have regected every offer. I've got a 22 mil kitty to spend, but with everything done I'm just keeping quiet and waiting till next year. Well that was until Atl. Madrid came in with a 19.5mil offer for Agger! Decided to stall and try and get Cahill in. Offered 12mil but got regected, then 15,5 and got regected so ended up offering 16mil and a decent contract to seal the deal. However by that time Madrid had withdrawn their offer so with about a week to go I now have an option to sign Cahill, which I don't really want if Agger is staying. But maybe if a good offer comes in for Carra I sell him on and sign the younger option for about 10mil net.

The top transfers so far are; Modric to Utd for 41mil, Di Maria for 31mil to Chelsea, Augusto? to Arsenal for 24mil, Nani to Spurs for 20mil and Hernadez to Juventus for 20mil. Besides Nani and Hernadez the rest seem very real to me.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm using tactical defending, and I think I'm kind of starting to 'get it' now. Like others have said, I tend to use contain everywhere except around my own area. When using contain, I used to use the left stick to bring that player as close as possible to the guy with the ball, but now I often use the L stick to bring the defender using contain to pull him away from the guy with the ball. I then frequently switch players manually and seems to encourage the computer to make more errant passes. I also use R1 second man jockey a lot.

I'm still shit at it but learning that it's all about cutting off passing lanes. Most posession turnover in real life is made not through tackles but passes being cut out etc and this is working really well in this game.

I think this has been posted before, but there is quite a good video from this guy on youtube. It makes a lot of sense and works a lot better, but still takes practice;

YouTube - Fifa 12 | Defending Tutorial | How to defend in Fifa 12 | HD

Incidentally, what camera does everyone use? I've been using traditional Broadcast (height 0 zoom 20) but just switched to the new camera (height 15 width 15) and it feels a lot easier to play. Not sure which one to use now. One is easier whereas the other looks more like a TV broadcast.

Well the sliders are completely broken. I thought it might happen, but I've only just noticed that by reducing the sprint speed and acceleration of players, it totally exposes that the tactical defending is flawed.

Try knocking those two sliders and then just slow dribble with the ball only using the left stick. I've realised I can literally walk the ball 70 yards by evading players at a certain distance that activates the AI to use the contain control. If you maintain that distance, they stand off you until you've walked it into the six yard box. It's a farce. And that's on World Class.

Well the sliders are completely broken. I thought it might happen, but I've only just noticed that by reducing the sprint speed and acceleration of players, it totally exposes that the tactical defending is flawed.

Try knocking those two sliders and then just slow dribble with the ball only using the left stick. I've realised I can literally walk the ball 70 yards by evading players at a certain distance that activates the AI to use the contain control. If you maintain that distance, they stand off you until you've walked it into the six yard box. It's a farce. And that's on World Class.

Well, that's kinda what the sliders are for. It's only Acceleration that you need to reduce that leaves the cpu players impotent. I've only been playing on Legend and leaving human on 50 and reducing cpu to around 45 makes both teams roughly equal, so Legend is perfectly playable. Reduce it to nearer 40 for cpu and you skin them. Acceleration (along with equally increasing both teams passing error) is all I really need to tweak to totally change how the game plays.

Yeah that's what I'm finding now winston, I've increased the player acceleration and movement up a bit and on 47 for both (user and CPU) it seems okay again. I tested it dribbling with Nani and a couple of times he could dribble a safe distance but once he got to the penalty area the Stoke defence held much more firm. Before, you could slow run at an angle, cut back on yourself until a gap appeared, then go into the gap at another angle, and keep doing it until you got into the area and through on the keeper.

At least on 47 or higher it seems reasonable. Players in the box will close you down now and crowd you out, and make standing tackles etc. Makes the game a little too fast for my liking but at least the game's now playable again.

Just a shame the game doesn't compensate for altering the sliders a bit more, but I guess it was to be expected.

These are my current Sliders:

Manual / Slow / Legendary

---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 48/48
Acceleration - 48/48
Shot Error - 50/50
Pass Error - 61/66
Shot Speed - 50/50
Pass Speed - 60/60
Injury Frequency - 90/90
Injury Severity - 60/60
Goalkeeper Ability - 47/47
Positioning: Marking - 95/95
Positioning: Run Frequency - 60/60
Positioning: Line Height - 48/48
Positioning: Line Length - 38/38
Positioning: Line Width - 40/40
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 48/48
Power Bar - 58

Last edited:
Might sound a bit of an obvious question but how come the marking is up to 90 nerf? Doesn't that mean every player should be man marked and reduce the amount of space? I've never tried altering it so I dont know :)

Might sound a bit of an obvious question but how come the marking is up to 90 nerf? Doesn't that mean every player should be man marked and reduce the amount of space? I've never tried altering it so I dont know :)

Positioning: Marking
Increases/decreases how tightly the defenders mark their opponents.

I raise it to try and create a tighter game where ball movement is not as easy/early. You have to pick your moment/angle a bit more than with the default I think.

Back
Top Bottom