FIFA 12 slider settings & discussion

There does seem to be an issue at times with CPU defenders letting you dribble down the pitch unchallenged. I posted this in the GC forum so hopefully EA are aware but who knows.

I've noticed this too, does it also happen in tbe default game before the sliders have been tweaked? I changed slider settings before I ever played a game so I wouldn't know.

Just bought this on the PC, have people settled on what are the best slider settings yet Any general consensus?

I'm settled on mine, as I mentioned above but altering to 44 for sprint speed and acceleration. But I think it's all down to taste, some prefer it to be completely different. My settings, particularly in broadcast camera, make the game look realistic (to me, anyways) in terms of how the game itself is paced and especially how fast players move in relation to the ball.

That said, some will prefer a faster game, some slow, it's all relative. You can change the slider settings during a match by the way, if you want to play around with them to see what effects they all have. This is great because you just un-pause the game for an immediate view on what your settings do, then pause the game and change it back or tinker around with it if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Is there anything for CPU tackling? Like others have said there just isn't enough CPU fouling in FIFA 12.

I don't think so, no, but I might be wrong. You're right though, I don't win many free kicks, though one AI player did get sent off against me for a professional foul.

I quickly offset that advantage though, I rushed my keeper out to meet an oncoming striker and he brought the guy down outside the box, resulting in a red card to my keeper :(

Is there anything for CPU tackling? Like others have said there just isn't enough CPU fouling in FIFA 12.

Maybe try messing with the marking slider?

My impression though is that the lack of fouling is related to fundamental problems with gameplay at a deeper level, related especially to TD, player movement mechanics, and the new aggression settings of the AI.

Unless it's patched I imagine a lack of fouls and physical play may be characteristic of FIFA 12. Typical over-reaction by EA to issues with previous FIFAs.

I don't think so, no, but I might be wrong. You're right though, I don't win many free kicks, though one AI player did get sent off against me for a professional foul.

I quickly offset that advantage though, I rushed my keeper out to meet an oncoming striker and he brought the guy down outside the box, resulting in a red card to my keeper :(

Done that more than once. No choice really one the AI beats you to death on the counter.

Are you sure these sliders actually work? CPU passing error to 60 and Wigan finish the first half with 98% pass completion. All it seems to be doing is making the ball bounce more.

Also any way of stopping the CPU from waltzing around with the ball? Wigan's centre-backs were spinning in circles, more than happy to want to hold onto the ball rather than play an obvious pass. Rodallega pretty much wanted to walk the ball into the goal.

Wigan finished with 94% pass accuracy despite being set to 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely works for me. CPU with average teams hardly get above 75% pass completion with their error set to 60. To be fair, I've set user error to 60 too. I'm only on semi pro. Played a cup game against Preston they were terrible passing and making mistakes all over the pitch against my city.

Then played a game against united and was out played by them as time went on. I don't remember their pass completion to be very much more but their attacks were really much more potent.

Great game offline, am enjoying it.

I really like that you can adjust the sliders at will. I'm currently working on sliders for rainy games where pass are slower and miss their target a bit more. Being able to tweak it all depending on the conditions is a great feature. I'm surprised they didn't hype it more before release.

Next match I played against Racing Santander. Set the CPU passing accuracy to 100 and the first half finishes with their success as 86%.

But still seeing the CPU literally walk from one side of the pitch to the other. Diving in with a tackle does nothing as it just spins away, jockeying them does nothing as they'll continue to just walk around with the ball anyway.

Also there's no way of increasing stamina drain? There's never a reason to make subs due to tiredness as the energy balls are nearly always full around 60 mins anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it works for me too. Have you set passing error for both yourself and CPU? I didn't realise at first you have to set it for yourself and CPU separately.

I played as Man Utd v Norwich, and there were some passages of play where both teams frequently gave the ball away. I didn't check the stats but it felt pretty realistic in terms of possession turnover. If you jockeyed the Norwich players they'd panic occasionally and totally mis-hit a pass.

The error does affect the height and bounce of the ball but this has a massive effect on the speed of build up play. I'm also finding that passes can go too far ahead of players, with their targets stretching a leg out to get the ball but just missing it etc.

Bear in mind that I'm shite at the game and struggling on Pro level. I've heard that Legendary for example pretty much overrides everything in order to win, so perhaps all this stuff isn't affecting the top difficulty levels?

Has anyone tried altering the 'player run frequency' slider? I tried in in one game, both at 0, 50, and 100, and though there was a difference it was quite subtle. AI players still got forward on 0, but on 100 they'd have a few more men in attack. It did make a difference to playing the AI, who felt more potent on 100, but surely setting this to 100 is far, far too great a difference.

I'm not entirely sure the exact mechanics of what this slider does. Any ideas?

Repost from the general discussion thread;

Might be in tandem with the custom tactics settings for player movement. I just wasn't getting any movement from my attack (liverpool, organised attack risk/shooting/etc at about 50/60 and slider setting at 50). Changed the rating for all to max and every other player started making a run forward when I was dribbling towards him. I still haven't altered the wingback frequency so maybe with that aswell you can get some decent movement up front. However if the AI wins the ball back I'm screwed with my current defending skills.

They deffo work. Ive noticed a lot of heavy touches which is nice from the likes of kuyt and Adam, but better control from Suarez, Gerrard and Johnson.

Corking game this.

--------------
MATCH
---------------
Half Length: 10/15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Legendary
Game Speed: Slow

---------------
PLAYSTATION/XBOX CONTROLLER
---------------
Auto Switching: Manual
Auto Switching Move Assistance: None
Passing Power Assistance: Off
Pass Assistance: Manual
Through Passing Assistance: Manual
Shot Assistance: Manual
Cross Assistance: Manual
Lob Pass Assistance: Manual
Save Assistance: Manual
Analog Sprint: On
Defending - Tactical Defending

Camera Settings : I use height 0 and Zoom 20 for a real nice view of the game.

---------------
User/CPU Game Customization
---------------
Sprint Speed - 50/50
Acceleration - 50/50
Shot Error - 0/55
Pass Error - 0/75
Shot Speed - 51/50 * bumped down by 2.
Pass Speed - 60/50
Injury Frequency - 60/60 * More games I get in more I can adjust this.
Injury Severity - 55/55 * bumped down by 10. Players were being injured for a bit too long.
Goalkeeper Ability - 40/40
Positioning:Marking - 75/50
Positioning:Run Frequency - 40/30
Positioning: Line Height - 30/25
Positioning: Line Length - 35/30
Positioning: Line Width - 30/30
Positioning: Fullback Positioning - 45/65 * need FB to stay in D more.
Power Bar - 65/- * recently bumped up to 65 from 40. Since it's pressure censored it can vary for user I am sure. 65 works very well for me.

I have no played a game other than on Legendary Difficulty. These also won't work on CPU vs CPU games and you need to use Full Manual controls.

Last edited:
I've heard that Legendary for example pretty much overrides everything in order to win, so perhaps all this stuff isn't affecting the top difficulty levels?

Has anyone tried altering the 'player run frequency' slider? I tried in in one game, both at 0, 50, and 100, and though there was a difference it was quite subtle. AI players still got forward on 0, but on 100 they'd have a few more men in attack. It did make a difference to playing the AI, who felt more potent on 100, but surely setting this to 100 is far, far too great a difference.

I'm not entirely sure the exact mechanics of what this slider does. Any ideas?

I've switched to using only Legendary and the sliders can absolutely still be used to alter the cpu.

When it comes to players runs, I've set both human cpu to 100. The effect is certainly more subtle than many of the other sliders. But don't forget to use the attacking bias using the D-pad. Set this to maximum attack and players definitely get forward more, although they don't just charge forward if you have the ball in a defensive area, they wait for play to move forward before going with it, but I definitely get 4 or 5 guys around opposition box using it. And obviously, use LB to trigger runs.

I've also taken to setting passing error quite high, around 70-80 for both human and cpu, varying a little depending upon which teams are playing. It's great in stopping the awful pixel-perfect passing style from FIFA's pre-sliders editions, yet good passing teams like Arsenal can still pass well. It allows me to use assisted ground-passing, knowing it will have some natural errors, just like the cpu teams. I still use manual from through-ball and long passing.

The only problem is getting cpu teams to cross, shoot and score more. I fear that by increasing their passing error, it creates far more natural error in their defensive and midfield areas, which is good, but they rely on perfect passing in the final third. Unfortunately, cpu teams just don't seem to do speculative passing, crossing or shooting in the last 3rd, they rely on perfect passes (this is on Legendary), meaning I'd have to reduce their passing error back towards 50, meaning they play far too perfectly elsewhere on the pitch...pfff... Setting cpu teams custom tactics to have 100 for crossing, speculative passing and shooting doesn't seem to help.

There's a good game in there somewhere, I'm just not yet able to tease it out. I'll perhaps need to play with individual player stats to see if I can get them to play better in attack but without having to give the whole team a low value on the passing error slider.

I hope EA give use a greater range of sliders next time, and with the ability to save sliders settings, so we can switch between them depending upon which teams are playing.

Last edited:
Well at least in this game there's some hope for a better game with the sliders instead of the fixed game play in previous editions.I've witnessed some shooting form the outside but it comes from certain players probably stats determine this.

They deffo work. Ive noticed a lot of heavy touches which is nice from the likes of kuyt and Adam, but better control from Suarez, Gerrard and Johnson.

Corking game this.

What slider do you mean? Is there anything that affects general ball control too? I am noticing a lot more now the differences between players in terms of ball control though :)

My passing error is currently set to 65, when I combine that with playing on semi assisted it's really hard. But I do notice the AI giving the ball away more, with weaker teams, than I've ever seen before in a FIFA game on 65. I can only imagine what it's like set to 75-80. Surely players will be barely able to hit any passes at all?!

Also don't know what to do with the player run frequency. I'll probably stick it on about 75-80. Set to 100, it tends to make games play a bit too end to end, but I do like the increased AI aggressiveness in terms of player support. It's just that I don't want to set it too high and leave me able to counter attack teams too much.

I'm still over the moon with the acceleration and sprint speed sliders, they've revolutionised the game for me. Before, I would always try and slow the game down to a realistic looking speed, but now both sets of teams move far slower in terms of turning on the ball etc, and I don't have to purposefully slow things down now. The pace of the players feels perfect, it's as if it gives everyone a bit more weight to them and emphasises their touch on the ball rather than acceleration speed. Lovely. :BOP:

What slider do you mean? Is there anything that affects general ball control too? I am noticing a lot more now the differences between players in terms of ball control though :)

My passing error is currently set to 65, when I combine that with playing on semi assisted it's really hard. But I do notice the AI giving the ball away more, with weaker teams, than I've ever seen before in a FIFA game on 65. I can only imagine what it's like set to 75-80. Surely players will be barely able to hit any passes at all?!

Also don't know what to do with the player run frequency. I'll probably stick it on about 75-80. Set to 100, it tends to make games play a bit too end to end, but I do like the increased AI aggressiveness in terms of player support. It's just that I don't want to set it too high and leave me able to counter attack teams too much.

I'm still over the moon with the acceleration and sprint speed sliders, they've revolutionised the game for me. Before, I would always try and slow the game down to a realistic looking speed, but now both sets of teams move far slower in terms of turning on the ball etc, and I don't have to purposefully slow things down now. The pace of the players feels perfect, it's as if it gives everyone a bit more weight to them and emphasises their touch on the ball rather than acceleration speed. Lovely. :BOP:

I dont know if its connected to pass error mate, but i have noticed players make some horrendus first touches. It maybe inherent to the player.

I dont know if its connected to pass error mate, but i have noticed players make some horrendus first touches. It maybe inherent to the player.
I have seen some nice first-touch errors so far. Players reaching out to control but not managing to bring it in, or heavy touches from high balls. I saw one when the ball was nodded down to a player in stride, he lunged out to reach it with his foot, the ball flicked up into the air off his toe and he had to chest it down to finally bring it under.

I guess it's possible that more inaccuracy on passing could emphasise this because they are having to control less perfect passes more frequently? Maybe.

I have seen some nice first-touch errors so far. Players reaching out to control but not managing to bring it in, or heavy touches from high balls. I saw one when the ball was nodded down to a player in stride, he lunged out to reach it with his foot, the ball flicked up into the air off his toe and he had to chest it down to finally bring it under.

I guess it's possible that more inaccuracy on passing could emphasise this because they are having to control less perfect passes more frequently? Maybe.

I think so yeah. With the shooting error up on the cpu i have seen instances, like last night for example, where i was playing kaiserlautern and their player attempted a shot from the corner of the box. He misdirected it, weakly and it bobbled across the 6 yard box where their striker made a lunge for it, got a toe to it and forced Reina into a reflex save.

So i guess you are going to get lots of different instances of that with the error sliders.

Yeah I think I agree with you both on that now. Smalling hit a pass to Nani, it bounced and bobbled like he'd toe punted the ball, bounced up, hit Nani on the knee and it flew off him for a throw to the opposition :))

I know I keep bleating on about slowing the players down with the sliders but their inability to turn like lightning due to having their acceleration reduced means first touches are more noticeable. A defender with poor technique for example might miscrontrol the ball, but now he can't recover the situation in quite the same way he could before the slider settings were altered. His acceleration meant he could be lightning fast in reaching his heavy first touch without giving the ball away, whereas now I'm seeing players unable to do this and suffering for poor technique. The same goes with passes that go astray, players used to be able to accelerate unrealistically and catch the ball at short notice, now poor passes are being punished because players can't reach them in time, resulting in a lot of players stretching out for the pass and missing the ball. Looks really realistic.

Yeah I think I agree with you both on that now. Smalling hit a pass to Nani, it bounced and bobbled like he'd toe punted the ball, bounced up, hit Nani on the knee and it flew off him for a throw to the opposition :))

I know I keep bleating on about slowing the players down with the sliders but their inability to turn like lightning due to having their acceleration reduced means first touches are more noticeable. A defender with poor technique for example might miscrontrol the ball, but now he can't recover the situation in quite the same way he could before the slider settings were altered. His acceleration meant he could be lightning fast in reaching his heavy first touch without giving the ball away, whereas now I'm seeing players unable to do this and suffering for poor technique. The same goes with passes that go astray, players used to be able to accelerate unrealistically and catch the ball at short notice, now poor passes are being punished because players can't reach them in time, resulting in a lot of players stretching out for the pass and missing the ball. Looks really realistic.

What are all your slider settings at?

Difficulty, Control Method?

I'm playing on full manual, world class difficulty with 10 minute halves. Nearly everything is spot on, but i don't feel like the CPU apply any pressure at all. I can pretty much stroll to the edge of their box and get shots away. I'm going to bump it up to legendary and see if it's any different, but i'd also like to know if there is anything i can do with the sliders to make them pressure me. It seems daft because i was one of the biggest moaners about pressure being too high in previous games, but they seem to have gone too far in the opposite direction.

I increased CPU marking to 70 but noticed no difference. I've not messed too much with the other defensive sliders as i don't really know what they do. Anybody else having the same problems?

What are all your slider settings at?

Difficulty, Control Method?

Well I'm not very good at the game so playing semi assisted on everything, manual through pass, on slow, against Professional Level. I've gotten used to the tactical defending controls so I've kept them as default on the pad, and play alternate button configeration.

Slider settings are largely as mentioned above, and set for both myself and the CPU so it doesn't unbalance the gameplay. The only ones I change are;

Sprint speed; 44
Acceleration speed; 44
Pass error; 65 (though I'm going to experiment with increasing this to 70)
Player run frequency; 60 (again, gonna tinker around and try increasing this some more)
Injury frequency; 80 (as recommended by Placebo)
Injury severity; 65.

I also play on broadcast camera, lowest height setting and maximum zoom. Looks just like on the TV :))

Well I'm not very good at the game so playing semi assisted on everything, manual through pass, on slow, against Professional Level. I've gotten used to the tactical defending controls so I've kept them as default on the pad, and play alternate button configeration.

Slider settings are largely as mentioned above, and set for both myself and the CPU so it doesn't unbalance the gameplay. The only ones I change are;

Sprint speed; 44
Acceleration speed; 44
Pass error; 65 (though I'm going to experiment with increasing this to 70)
Player run frequency; 60 (again, gonna tinker around and try increasing this some more)
Injury frequency; 80 (as recommended by Placebo)
Injury severity; 65.

I also play on broadcast camera, lowest height setting and maximum zoom. Looks just like on the TV :))

Hmmmm.. I'm playing on World Class/Legendary.. & the differences are very subtle. The pass error seems to work in places tho & it's bit more realistic.

Isn't injury frequency bit high? I had it on 60.. & injurys seemed to happen alot.

It's all down to taste, I haven't properly tried the injury frequency but the beauty of it is you can alter all the sliders on the fly, from the pause menu during a match. All settings are down to personal preference.

That said, I'm a bit disconcerted about the scores of games I played tonight. 3-3 followed by 4-3 etc. I did increase the player run frequency from 60 to 70, then reduced it down to 65, but maybe the extra space from slowing the game down is making scores too high?

That said, I shipped 4 goals as Spurs v West Brom and even on Pro level they hammered two long shots straight in. Two great strikes. The other goals were awful defending from me, but still, maybe the space the players now have is creating more goals than it should? Anyone have any ideas?

Also played Bolton, ended 3-3, Bolton played the long ball game constantly which was amazing to see. They scored off two set pieces, including a scrambled goal following a free kick on the half way line that they simply lumped into my penalty area. Felt really realistic again. Plenty of long balls went astray, some reached Davies up front, and he bullied my CB just as he does in real life.

Back
Top Bottom