FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I don't know if i can post this video but I've seen FIFA 21 beta on Legendary and "Competitor mode" On
The man didn't play well but the gameplay is far better than FUT ones.
Also, AI made a lot of tricks on Competitor mode, like professional players:SHOCK:
There is a strange noise at 16"31:LMAO:
Enjoy
[HIDE][/HIDE]

I don't know if i can post this video but I've seen FIFA 21 beta on Legendary and "Competitor mode" On
The man didn't play well but the gameplay is far better than FUT ones.
Also, AI made a lot of tricks on Competitor mode, like professional players:SHOCK:
There is a strange noise at 16"31:LMAO:
Enjoy
[Hidden content]
Yeah this looks better but it's not so hard to look better from a shitty FUT match on steroids..
This is the same video that someone put here 2-3 weeks ago on 1080p60 and it's the only one that i kinda liked so far.I remember it from the blue pitch lines which look ridiculous by the way..
Everything else i have watched looks complete shit.This one here is the only decent one.We'll have to wait to play the demo and see for ourselves.
Although this competitor mode looks total trash even in this video.The cpu constantly spamming tricks and skills even with players like Fabinho is far from realistic.

Lol listen at that honest lady in the beggining and what she's saying..
And we expect from these people to create a good realistic football game..

"Driving and shooting games"..
Explains end to end Call of Duty action and drifting around the pitch.. :LOL:

This is exactly what I mean when I say, "we look at the game in the way that art critics look at art".

They aren't hiring people, or planning, to create a football game. That's the secondary objective.

The main objective is to create an experience that gets your blood pumping, that puts you into ecstacy (or rage), that ticks every physical and psychological box they can use in order to manipulate you into getting addicted and handing over your credit card to make sure you've got a better chance of winning, and feeling that incredible high...

...using your love of football, and your devotion to your favourite team or favourite players, to reel you into it.

Just like the way social media is designed to be as addictive as class-A drugs - as this former Google product manager says - games developers do the same thing. If she's worked on something like Call of Duty, I mean, she has the experience to design what EA want.

There was an article (which, annoyingly, I can't find) that lists every psychological trick EA use to get you addicted to Ultimate Team. Everything, from when you open a pack, is designed to fire endorphins. The heartbeat thumps (designed to increase your heart-rate), the flashes and sparks as you "walk" down the tunnel (which you only get when it's a "special" player, which subconsciously keeps you coming back - like when a notification pings on your phone and triggers your "gotta read that" response)... The fireworks and confetti at the end (to make you feel like you've achieved something by giving them money).

They're knowingly, purposefully, using all of that on kids, too.

Yet we (I) judge the gameplay every year (and will again this year) by comparing it to real football...

...and the worst thing of all is that, in my honest opinion, I think it comes closer to real football than PES does right now, so I'll swallow all of it (without giving them any Ultimate Team money)... They win. They get my money, and they get the kids' money, because there's nothing better for either of us.

like when a notification pings on your phone and triggers your "gotta read that" response
tenor - 2020-09-07T155121.353.gif
You tricked me!!!

...and the worst thing of all is that, in my honest opinion, I think it comes closer to real football than PES does right now

As much as it hurts saying it - I agree.
And why is that?
IMO, apart from the obvious (atmosphere, stadiums, commentary), Fifa still gives you more freedom and variety in outcomes. No matter how long you play it - you will always find completely random moments that you have never seen before. Unfortunately - this feeling is long lost in Pes.

Lol listen at that honest lady in the beggining and what she's saying..
And we expect from these people to create a good realistic football game..

See, I don't agree with this...
I mean I get this is corporate drivel to showcase that EA welcomes talent. Keep in mind that it's EA that has a vision for what FIFA game they want (not this lady), they can hire Maradona in her position and believe me the game would still play like it does now.

I'm sure EA is fine with what they are doing (just look at the best selling titles and FIFA is still top 5 after like 9 months). I think everyone here agrees and has for the past 2-3 years that FIFA is not a realistic game and EA is completely fine with that, they dont want to switch the formula....
People just keep beating a dead horse with this issue.

Also, lets not forget just for comparison:
"This year for eFootball PES 2020, we called on the help of one of footballs greatest players. We enlisted in the expertise of legendary midfielder Andrés Iniesta to shape eFootball PES2020 with a renewed focus on immersion and authenticity".
So, who do you hire for a good realistic football game then?

TL;DR: the game is catered (and will be) to online play, the lady's background doesn't really affect gameplay ... In my humble opinion.

More career mode videos, including gameplay... Doesn't look good.

(Worse than that, everyone beats the Legendary AI.)

Some of the CPU defending looks good,or most of it tbh,except what has plagued this series since FIFA 18?
Defending the wings,just giving up etc.
That's rubbish.

Still looks so bad when handling the ball,lots of street moves,and ball being glued to the foot.
Footplanting?
Passing on a string without body adjustments.
None can be solved by setting it up properly.
Or do they have skill moves (or what's it called) enabled.

Liked the defending though

Doesn't look promising, but if possible 20 looked even worse iirc.

I'll try to ignore most of this stuff and wait until Matt or some other trusted fella will deconstruct it. If I'll have to force myself pick up a new game for the year, will be this or nothing at all for me.

Watching the ign video, trying to look at positioning and tactics but it's so damn hard taking my eyes off the players legs. It really is sooooo DISTRACTING! Is there really not a single person at EA who will look at the game and say "hang on, this looks silly guys".

At this point my new theory is that they mo-capped the ministry of silly walks sketch.

tumblr_b2948c4c03b919395bd9bbc2bea98fff_499ca09e_500.gif

Last edited:
Watching the ign video, trying to look at positioning and tactics but it's so damn hard taking my eyes off the players legs. It really is sooooo DISTRACTING! Is there really not a single person at EA who will look at the game and say "hang on, this looks silly guys".

At this point my new theory is that they mo-capped the ministry of silly walks sketch.

View attachment 58783
Yeah. It's really sad. That and the AI's passes without any backlift (is it only AI players who can do this - cos I don't think you see it in player vs player matches).

Sadly it seems that - for both football games this year - my only hope that they've been beavering away on true next-gen versions for next year.

If they haven't been, and this is EA doing the best they can do, then... Yikes.

Two random quotes:

1. (Last year) "AI defending was seriously overpowered".
2. "But when you're on the attack? It's like you're playing on Semi-Pro difficulty at best. For context, my first match on Legendary with Competitor Mode enabled finishes 8-5".

Yeah, if some random clueless idiot believes that (1) is true and EA takes him seriously you end up with (2).

Last edited:
EA took the decision. The arcade game is the path...

They know only 0,001% (or even less) people like football simulation/realism in videogames.

Or modding come true in FIFA 21 or I'm afraid I'll remain in FIFA 20 "season update" for the next year.

Well if that's the state of things, I'll stay with 2020 as well. Nonsense gifting money for this stuff.

Anyway, I wonder what happened to the positioning awereness stuff, that was admittedly the only thing catching my attention in the trailers. I guess it was so unnoticeable the guy doing the review didn't even realized it was there :D ?

Well if that's the state of things, I'll stay with 2020 as well. Nonsense gifting money for this stuff.

Anyway, I wonder what happened to the positioning awereness stuff, that was admittedly the only thing catching my attention in the trailers. I guess it was so unnoticeable the guy doing the review didn't even realized it was there :D ?

Most people haven't got a clue about football so they end up believing that AI defending is bad/op when they can't hit 2 buttons and score.

However the same people will be frustrated when conceding goals, so the defensive awareness stat will be EAs "solution" down the road. It will be a pay to win solution. A gold van dijk card with 100 awareness will block everything if you can spend a couple of thousands. Or at least make defending more manageable.

I suppose we are going to see teams in lower leagues/with lower stats not having the first clue about defending. But of course everyone is using Barca and teams like that so far so we can't tell. I wonder if anyone who played the beta with lower rated teams can confirm.

Most people haven't got a clue about football so they end up believing that AI defending is bad/op when they can't hit 2 buttons and score.

However the same people will be frustrated when conceding goals, so the defensive awareness stat will be EAs "solution" down the road. It will be a pay to win solution. A gold van dijk card with 100 awareness will block everything if you can spend a couple of thousands. Or at least make defending more manageable.

I suppose we are going to see teams in lower leagues/with lower stats not having the first clue about defending. But of course everyone is using Barca and teams like that so far so we can't tell. I wonder if anyone who played the beta with lower rated teams can confirm.

So you think the awereness thing will just be an online thing then? Because in the few videos out there are only top teams indeed and I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

So you think the awereness thing will just be an online thing then? Because in the few videos out there are only top teams indeed and I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

It's my guess for now. We'll find out. The game is already perfectly set up for that though. Ratings in fifa are exponential. This means that a player rated 99 is not just 1% better than someone rated 98. On an exponential curve he could be twice as good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom