FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I suppose we are going to see teams in lower leagues/with lower stats not having the first clue about defending. But of course everyone is using Barca and teams like that so far so we can't tell. I wonder if anyone who played the beta with lower rated teams can confirm.
I know @Matt10 did in the beta. I saw some videos of career guys (not YouTubers, people like us) playing the beta and enjoying the changes, with all of the shit turned off (looking at you, "Competitive Mode"). They made it look pretty good - slower, more deliberate, with the AI trying a few more things on the way to goal (slightly worried that poor teams spam long balls to the channels, though).

The best thing, which @fernadez mentioned, was seeing AI teams genuinely play in the way that the tactics dictate. His clip of Man City's pressing shows this pretty well - it adds a whole new layer to the gameplay because you just can't find a pass when you come up against such an aggressive press (and importantly, NOT EVERY TEAM DOES IT, which makes for a career mode with some variety).

Add to that the changes they've made with attributes adding individuality - i.e. if defenders have a high "defensive awareness" they'll track runs, or double-mark a danger man - and it seems like an improved game.

It's much closer to real football than the other game, IMO - being able to burst past defenders with the right players, defending not being "hold X to win ball" but involving you tracking the man and deciding when to make your tackle instead, shots being much more varied, lots more error (in all things - passing, shooting, you name it)... and in the career mode (where you just see a top-down view of the match), I think tactically the game looks pretty solid. The way the game flows, defensive reaction etc.

Add to that the added depth to career mode, which is pretty exciting - check out Firmino collapsing because he's been "overtrained":

...and I'm in.

Except...

All of this will be pointless if Legendary is still a piece of piss, and if Ultimate is still "99 attributes for all AI players". So maybe I'm not.

Add to that, you've still got the core engine issues. Skatey players... Jelly legs... Players hitting absolute bullet passes with zero backlift (for the sake of responsiveness)... 1v1 defending... Barely any fouls... (Basically, Frostbite.)

I can live with that, but not the game being far too easy. You can't fix that. Making the AI faster than you via sliders isn't a fix.

So you think the awereness thing will just be an online thing then? Because in the few videos out there are only top teams indeed and I haven't noticed anything of the sort.
It's my guess for now. We'll find out. The game is already perfectly set up for that though. Ratings in fifa are exponential. This means that a player rated 99 is not just 1% better than someone rated 98. On an exponential curve he could be twice as good.
So... As far as I know, this is part of the new attributes settings, and they're available offline (in-fact, they're on by default). It's called something like "New Attributes" in the settings, and it boosts all the areas that are required to make these changes more noticeable. (Basically, giving teams "chemistry boosts".)

You can switch this off by changing it to "Classic Attributes".

In EA's defence, it does seem like they know offline players don't want half the new stuff, and everything comes with a "switch". So you can turn off "agile dribbling", "competitive mode", etc...

But - the flip-side of that is, all the gameplay add-ons will always be for the online guys. I don't see there ever being a day where a new gameplay feature is added for career mode guys...

Watching the IGN video and yeah you're right, You can't un-see the wiggly tentacle like legs, It's utterly immersion breaking.

Furthermore, It's 2020 and the goalkeeper must still insist on wearing the same colour jersey as the Opposition?

Why is there no contingency for this? I played FIFA 16 last night and the referee wore black alongside my opponents so needless to say that kinda of really spoiled my match.

What must it take for just a simple option like this in the kickoff hub? I don't believe that EA doesn't want to make another kit texture for keepers because of a financial reason and there's no excuse not to let the user override the referee kit selection as those kits are already in the game but their automated system doesn't always work correctly.

Two random quotes:

1. (Last year) "AI defending was seriously overpowered".
2. "But when you're on the attack? It's like you're playing on Semi-Pro difficulty at best. For context, my first match on Legendary with Competitor Mode enabled finishes 8-5".

Yeah, if some random clueless idiot believes that (1) is true and EA takes him seriously you end up with (2).
I stopped reading at 1. Completely opposite mentality.

Ratings in fifa are exponential. This means that a player rated 99 is not just 1% better than someone rated 98. On an exponential curve he could be twice as good.
Just saying, but in the older PES games, stats used to work exactly that way, too.

A bit disappointing that the new stadium of Freiburg is still missing.

Last edited:
Question for all those who have it.
This would weigh a lot on my decision whether to buy it further down the line

Is there any improvements presentation-wise in the bottom leagues?
Thats where I usually play, on manual, increasing all the errors drastically, to have a feeling of crap low tier football.
But up until now all the teams had only two kits to pick from, bad quality ones too.
Also - a lot of teams from down the bottom are not even being called by their name during match. Its just silence.
Immersion and balls breaking for me.

So if bottom leagues are still piss poor - i have no problem skipping it altogether.

Just saying, but in the older PES games, stats used to work exactly that way, too.

A bit disappointing that the new stadium of Freiburg is still missing.
suppose licensing issues as currently not even quite sure when they are allowed to use the new stadium

I know @Matt10 did in the beta. I saw some videos of career guys (not YouTubers, people like us) playing the beta and enjoying the changes, with all of the shit turned off (looking at you, "Competitive Mode"). They made it look pretty good - slower, more deliberate, with the AI trying a few more things on the way to goal (slightly worried that poor teams spam long balls to the channels, though).

The best thing, which @fernadez mentioned, was seeing AI teams genuinely play in the way that the tactics dictate. His clip of Man City's pressing shows this pretty well - it adds a whole new layer to the gameplay because you just can't find a pass when you come up against such an aggressive press (and importantly, NOT EVERY TEAM DOES IT, which makes for a career mode with some variety).

Add to that the changes they've made with attributes adding individuality - i.e. if defenders have a high "defensive awareness" they'll track runs, or double-mark a danger man - and it seems like an improved game.

It's much closer to real football than the other game, IMO - being able to burst past defenders with the right players, defending not being "hold X to win ball" but involving you tracking the man and deciding when to make your tackle instead, shots being much more varied, lots more error (in all things - passing, shooting, you name it)... and in the career mode (where you just see a top-down view of the match), I think tactically the game looks pretty solid. The way the game flows, defensive reaction etc.

Add to that the added depth to career mode, which is pretty exciting - check out Firmino collapsing because he's been "overtrained":

...and I'm in.

Except...

All of this will be pointless if Legendary is still a piece of piss, and if Ultimate is still "99 attributes for all AI players". So maybe I'm not.

Add to that, you've still got the core engine issues. Skatey players... Jelly legs... Players hitting absolute bullet passes with zero backlift (for the sake of responsiveness)... 1v1 defending... Barely any fouls... (Basically, Frostbite.)

I can live with that, but not the game being far too easy. You can't fix that. Making the AI faster than you via sliders isn't a fix.

So... As far as I know, this is part of the new attributes settings, and they're available offline (in-fact, they're on by default). It's called something like "New Attributes" in the settings, and it boosts all the areas that are required to make these changes more noticeable. (Basically, giving teams "chemistry boosts".)

You can switch this off by changing it to "Classic Attributes".

In EA's defence, it does seem like they know offline players don't want half the new stuff, and everything comes with a "switch". So you can turn off "agile dribbling", "competitive mode", etc...

But - the flip-side of that is, all the gameplay add-ons will always be for the online guys. I don't see there ever being a day where a new gameplay feature is added for career mode guys...

That's also what I am really worried off. That Legendary would be too easy even against bigger teams. I see players like Kante just not marking any one in the middle and just standing and staring so we could get a big lack of midfield battle. That's my main concern right now.

Nope. They'd have mentioned it by now if that was in (because a co-op mode has been added to FUT)...

(Thank God for Parsec on PC, and Share Play on PS4, which gives you a perfectly functional workaround.)
I'm just looking at parsec. Is it possible to get it working with sider? I've so far only managed to get it to work without launching pes with sider.

I'm just looking at parsec. Is it possible to get it working with sider? I've so far only managed to get it to work without launching pes with sider.

Should work fine. I've played both PES 2019 and 2020 (with sider) on Parsec as recently as a few weeks ago. Not a huge fan of Parsec personally, but that's just me. Based on my experience, Moonlight Streaming + ZeroTier has yielded the best results in terms of latency/performance for my guest. That's assuming you have a Nvidia card.

Should work fine. I've played both PES 2019 and 2020 (with sider) on Parsec as recently as a few weeks ago. Not a huge fan of Parsec personally, but that's just me. Based on my experience, Moonlight Streaming + ZeroTier has yielded the best results in terms of latency/performance for my guest. That's assuming you have a Nvidia card.
Yep, got it working on my test at home - needed to launch PES with sider, then add the sider.exe as an allowed app in Parsec on my host - then it allowed the guest gamepad to be detected.
I've got Radeon 5700XT, I've not heard of Moonlight Streaming + ZeroTier.

Sorry for hijacking a FIFA thread

Reason #541 why football games will always be shit from now on:

People are delighted about this (most notably the account holder that posted it, which is a Career Mode focused account, and you'd think they'd want realism).

Look at the attributes. Look at the OVRs.

Absolutely stupid.

Reason #541 why football games will always be shit from now on:

People are delighted about this (most notably the account holder that posted it, which is a Career Mode focused account, and you'd think they'd want realism).

Absolutely stupid.

"... going way over there normal potential".

Now there's an appalling phrase. In relation to anything.

Absolutely stupid.

I've wanted a career mode where I can pick a lower league team and struggle to achieve promotion for years and years, but oh well. Winning the CL with 11 forty year olds worth trillions it is. 😄

Yeah it looks pretty ridiculous, however the guy also posted this (2nd tweet):

While this is certainly more realistic of guys on their late 30's still having all those high stats, it generally looks like it's completely broken even before release lol.

Wow.

That's telling...

I think the next gen stuff is going badly and they're really stretched with Covid. Worrying.

If the "1v1 AI" gimmick from last year is still there I'm not buying it. Basically ruined Fifa 20 for me. Dribble past one player and you're always through against the keeper.

What is this 1v1 thing everyone goes on about? Genuine question.

Last year's focus was to promote more individual skill, therefore put the player in more 1v1 situations, which basically was interpreted as teammate AI not defending anyone. The animations it triggered were primarily from the defensive line where they would stand absolutely still, until a player reached teir "zone" to wake them back up.

This is why when we were working on sliders, the focus was higher marking so that there were less situations that could be just 1v1, it was manufactured in a way via the lines + marking to get players tighter together.

If it helps, FIFA 21 has helped the defensive line to be much more active. The issue I had, and submitted feedback in the closed beta, was that the central midfielders needed much more attention to their defensive duties. Trying to balance controlling two center mids is quite the chore.

Last year's focus was to promote more individual skill, therefore put the player in more 1v1 situations, which basically was interpreted as teammate AI not defending anyone. The animations it triggered were primarily from the defensive line where they would stand absolutely still, until a player reached teir "zone" to wake them back up.

This is why when we were working on sliders, the focus was higher marking so that there were less situations that could be just 1v1, it was manufactured in a way via the lines + marking to get players tighter together.

If it helps, FIFA 21 has helped the defensive line to be much more active. The issue I had, and submitted feedback in the closed beta, was that the central midfielders needed much more attention to their defensive duties. Trying to balance controlling two center mids is quite the chore.
Not really a fan of the "1v1" defending in FIFA 20,but!
It keeps games quite on the edge,I think games are much more unpredictable,a crap team,if you're not focused enough,can hurt you with a rare chance or two.
So basically I'm against it,but I find it challenging,and tbh I haven't felt that FIFA 17-18-19 were that challenging,unless you bumped it up to insane toughness slider wise.
I'm not against it,hope they find a way to make ai defending a bit tougher too (wings)

What is this 1v1 thing everyone goes on about? Genuine question.
Last year EA marketed the "AI is programmed to defend as more 1v1 instead of a unit cause it's exciting". And that feature wasn't false advertisement I tell you.

If you dribbled past one AI player and just kept running, that 1 player would run behind you the whole field and no one else would ever challenge you. So basically, if you dribble past one player in midfield you're through against the keeper.

So you've played the beta, is the 1v1 defensive AI still there?

Back
Top Bottom