FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Last year's focus was to promote more individual skill, therefore put the player in more 1v1 situations, which basically was interpreted as teammate AI not defending anyone. The animations it triggered were primarily from the defensive line where they would stand absolutely still, until a player reached teir "zone" to wake them back up.

This is why when we were working on sliders, the focus was higher marking so that there were less situations that could be just 1v1, it was manufactured in a way via the lines + marking to get players tighter together.

If it helps, FIFA 21 has helped the defensive line to be much more active. The issue I had, and submitted feedback in the closed beta, was that the central midfielders needed much more attention to their defensive duties. Trying to balance controlling two center mids is quite the chore.
Thanks for the explanation Matt.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but does anyone know or has their been any word about how online play between current-gen and next-gen will work?

Like, 99% of PS4 discs are supposed to run on a PS5 right. So will a PS4 FIFA 21 player be able to play with a PS5 FIFA21 player as normal?

And then what about the "upgrade". If you upgrade to the PS5 version of FIFA21 then online play with PS4 will definetely not work, I'm presuming. So Is the upgrade permenant? Or can you flip back and forth between both versions?

So you've played the beta, is the 1v1 defensive AI still there?

Not as bad, but it's there right in the center of the pitch with the central midfielders at times. Honestly, the resistance is so much stronger, that you barely notice it. If you are truly trying to exploit it, maybe - but the individual strength of players are less buggy imho.

In terms of positioning, it's very dynamic. Even here, look at how the CPU (RCL) collapses (radar is best) their lines on top of my players - shutting down passing lanes.

BCQ79y.png

On the opposite side, the CPU faces us with a less aggressive approach. We give them space. This pass actually was chipped over the head of the player for a throw in.

YlxP7a.png

The gameplay is so dynamic with the runs and positioning. Teams attack you with much more variety. Little chips in the midfield, direct passing straight to a forward. Over the top hoof it up for a pacey winger. It's incredible. The best part is you feel like you are playing less against a robotic CPU, but rather a human controlling players that are experiencing the same thing as your controlled players. They are impacted by fatigue, their decision making on and off the ball, etc. Just wait till you face against that first CPU opponent that strings two or three passes from the backline, only to send a long ball down the flank that is too far ahead for the winger to chase. The dynamic gameplay in this game - of course I speak of the beta - is truly one of the best FIFA has ever produced. I hope it's the same in the final version.

Not as bad, but it's there right in the center of the pitch with the central midfielders at times. Honestly, the resistance is so much stronger, that you barely notice it. If you are truly trying to exploit it, maybe - but the individual strength of players are less buggy imho.

In terms of positioning, it's very dynamic. Even here, look at how the CPU (RCL) collapses (radar is best) their lines on top of my players - shutting down passing lanes.

BCQ79y.png

On the opposite side, the CPU faces us with a less aggressive approach. We give them space. This pass actually was chipped over the head of the player for a throw in.

YlxP7a.png

The gameplay is so dynamic with the runs and positioning. Teams attack you with much more variety. Little chips in the midfield, direct passing straight to a forward. Over the top hoof it up for a pacey winger. It's incredible. The best part is you feel like you are playing less against a robotic CPU, but rather a human controlling players that are experiencing the same thing as your controlled players. They are impacted by fatigue, their decision making on and off the ball, etc. Just wait till you face against that first CPU opponent that strings two or three passes from the backline, only to send a long ball down the flank that is too far ahead for the winger to chase. The dynamic gameplay in this game - of course I speak of the beta - is truly one of the best FIFA has ever produced. I hope it's the same in the final version.
This sounds very positive and gives us hope Matt! Is the jogging animation still an issue?

Sounds good, Matt. I hope the gameplay is there, since career mode was actually quite nice last season and should be even better now.

I hope they do something about the lack of momentum in future Fifa's though. It still looks a lot like ballet dancers playing football in Fifa and a lot of it has to do with everyone being able to turn and accelerate on a dime even full speed.

This sounds very positive and gives us hope Matt! Is the jogging animation still an issue?

It doesn't show up as early, if anything they will go into a very slow sprint - which you can feel just gets heavier and heavier.

Sounds good, Matt. I hope the gameplay is there, since career mode was actually quite nice last season and should be even better now.

I hope they do something about the lack of momentum in future Fifa's though. It still looks a lot like ballet dancers playing football in Fifa and a lot of it has to do with everyone being able to turn and accelerate on a dime even full speed.

Agreed, the momentum and shuffling is off-putting at times. Especially when playing on 60 FPS. I can't stand it because it just makes everything look so twitchy.

One of the saddest things about the design is that when you lower acceleration via sliders, you can start to feel some momentum and decent turn of direction. Problem is the stamina depletion is virtual non existent and it's too easy to sprint past players because they can't get to the same level of top speed early enough.

BCQ79y.png

YlxP7a.png

Ffs just when I had given up on Fifa and started to really like PES 2021. Need to try it out now then I guess.

The thing is your defence doesn't do any of those things when being attacked against which makes the whole thing a sham.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but does anyone know or has their been any word about how online play between current-gen and next-gen will work?

Like, 99% of PS4 discs are supposed to run on a PS5 right. So will a PS4 FIFA 21 player be able to play with a PS5 FIFA21 player as normal?

And then what about the "upgrade". If you upgrade to the PS5 version of FIFA21 then online play with PS4 will definetely not work, I'm presuming. So Is the upgrade permenant? Or can you flip back and forth between both versions?

It's not cross-platform between PS4 and PS5. I believe the FUT market is shared between to the two, but not the game itself (in terms of gameplay). You can upgrade from the PS4 version to PS5 (disc to disc and digital to digital) and transfer your FUT progress from the PS4 to PS5.

BCQ79y.png

YlxP7a.png

Don-t Do That Don-t Give Me Hope.jpg

It's not cross-platform between PS4 and PS5. I believe the FUT market is shared between to the two, but not the game itself (in terms of gameplay). You can upgrade from the PS4 version to PS5 (disc to disc and digital to digital) and transfer your FUT progress from the PS4 to PS5.

But if 99% of PS4 titles are supposed to work on PS5, then for online functions to not carry over with it would be quite the exclusion

I ask because it would make the transition to next gen a lot smoother if I could still play with people on my friends list, who haven't yet upgraed to the Ps5, in online modes of games like Fifa

But if 99% of PS4 titles are supposed to work on PS5, then for online functions to not carry over with it would be quite the exclusion
But you're not playing a PS4 game, you're playing a PS5 game.

Getting a PS4 game "upgrade" in the case of games like FIFA means you're trading the PS4 version for the PS5 version. That's why they specifically say you're getting a PS5 version for free, as opposed to "you can play it via backwards compatibility".

So you are swapping your PS4 game (that connects to the PS4 online infrastructure) for the PS5 version (which connects to the PS5 infrastructure).

I imagine what will happen is that you'll have access to both - the PS4 version and PS5 version - when collecting your free upgrade (as opposed to "deleting" your PS4 version). Which would mean you could still play PS4 friends, IF you booted the PS4 version.

Don't think there will be one.

I've just looked into that Express article, and the tweets are here:

What the guy says is, "how many retweets to release FIFA 21 tomorrow" - NOT the demo.

The Spanish FIFA account then says 10k, which is a really stupid thing to do, because they're not going to release the full game early are they.

EA and Konami have just been desperate to kill off the demos haven't they, mission accomplished sadly by the looks of it. One of the best/worst bits of the year was trying that new game for the first time and experiencing the searing joy/disappointment!

EA and Konami have just been desperate to kill off the demos haven't they, mission accomplished sadly by the looks of it. One of the best/worst bits of the year was trying that new game for the first time and experiencing the searing joy/disappointment!

There is a potential silver lining. FIFA and PES demos are generally better received than their initial retail launch (at least on places like Evo-Web). Not having a demo removes that several week period where FUT kids are screeching at the top of their lungs on Twitter about how the game is too slow and "realistic." As we've all seen in the past, the developers have a tendency to tweak the gameplay accordingly for their day one patch. Perhaps not having a demo delays that inevitable process a tiny bit more. As in, retail 1.0 is what the demo would have been.

That, or we're completely fucked either way.

WestHamEsports.jpg

The biggest brazilian sports site (globoesporte) reported that this tweet was made by the West Ham E-Sports twitter page, and was deleted soon after.

no demo ..official

We aren't releasing a demo for FIFA 21. Instead we've made the decision to focus our development team's time on delivering the best full game experience for current & next-gen consoles. We look forward to EA PLAY members jumping in 10 days from now and launching the game Oct 9.

Back
Top Bottom