FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm particularly interested in how the AI plays and whether there's clear distinction between AI teams and AI players within a team.

Do different AI teams play with genuinely different tactics and are these different tactics actually effective in their own ways, or does the game resort to a limited set of "go to" moves to get a goal (eg. the horrible PES 70 yard laser-guided ground pass straight to the always unmarked striker, perfect control, turn, shoot into top corner, no matter the players' stats).

Do different AI teams play differently in defence - ie. some are very organised whereas others are a bit looser/more disorganised. Or is it just effectively the same defence you are playing against every match, with different coloured kits?

Do AI teams play to edited tactics you configure for them, including individual player instructions?

Do lower rated AI teams stay low rated (for the entire match) when you play against them with a higher rated team, or do they get a rubber-banding boost to create a more level playing field?

Do AI players play to their individual stats, so you can see difference in strengths and weaknesses within a team, or is it simply the overall team overall rating determines how well they play, not the abilities of the individual players, with strength and weakness across the pitch?
eg. if an AI team has a low rated RB and a high rated LB, can you tell the difference when attacking down each flank?
eg. some AI players play very accurate passes but other AI players in the same team with lower passing stats misplace passes (and does the AI ever misplace passes?)
eg. a highly rated striker may be lethal in front of goal but a low rated striker in the same team will more likely mess it up ~(do the AI ever really mess up shots, miskicks, etc?)

Would be very interested to see if AI do genuinely adjust their tactics and approach according to current scoreline (or if AI is losing, does it just do the PES thing of giving itself a boost and handicapping your players - ie. it's nothing to do with tactics, all to do with cheap cpu cheating).

Do the AI dribble and try different things, or all just ping-pongy ground passing?

Any headed goals? Is crossing a worthwhile tactic?

Last edited:
I'm particularly interested in how the AI plays and whether there's clear distinction between AI teams and AI players within a team.

Do different AI teams play with genuinely different tactics and are these different tactics actually effective in their own ways, or does the game resort to a limited set of "go to" moves to get a goal (eg. the horrible PES 70 yard laser-guided ground pass straight to the always unmarked striker, perfect control, turn, shoot into top corner, no matter the players' stats).

Do different AI teams play differently in defence - ie. some are very organised whereas others are a bit looser/more disorganised. Or is it just effectively the same defence you are playing against every match, with different coloured kits?

Do AI teams play to edited tactics you configure for them, including individual player instructions?

Do lower rated AI teams stay low rated (for the entire match) when you play against them with a higher rated team, or do they get a rubber-banding boost to create a more level playing field?

Do AI players play to their individual stats, so you can see difference in strengths and weaknesses within a team, or is it simply the overall team overall rating determines how well they play, not the abilities of the individual players, with strength and weakness across the pitch?
eg. if an AI team has a low rated RB and a high rated LB, can you tell the difference when attacking down each flank?
eg. some AI players play very accurate passes but other AI players in the same team with lower passing stats misplace passes
eg. a highly rated striker may be lethal in front of goal but a low rated striker in the same team will more likely mess it up

Would be very interested to see if AI do genuinely adjust their tactics and approach according to current scoreline (or if AI is losing, does it just do the PES thing of giving itself a boost and handicapping your players - ie. it's nothing to do with tactics, all to do with cheap cpu cheating).

Talked for me! Basically I'm interested in hearing everything AI/tactics wise. Can't bring myself to play games where the CPU is so limited in patterns and situations. If there are truly innovations or at least some decent degree of variety and plausibility in this sense, I'm ready to close an eye on other flaws.

Last edited:
So, just to clarify guys because I'm not quite sure how it exactly works -

To get it earlier on PC to play 10 hours you have two options to choose from -

Origin (£14.99 a month) or yearly subscription for £80+
or
Steam that costs £3.99 a month ? And you can still get FIFA 21 on Steam then? Is it the same thing or what?
I'm just asking as the price difference is noticeable and I wonder if we still get the same products (including FIFA 21 of course) from Steam either?
DId anyone subscribed EA Play through Steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/subscriptions/ea

Last edited:

Do different AI teams play with genuinely different tactics and are these different tactics actually effective in their own ways

Good questions, but I would personally rephrase them into: "Are the tactics options available representative of how football is played on the pitch" because frankly the answer might be a resounding "yes!" but still not make the game good because of how tactics primarily serve the online game/fut.

Much like the deep defensive line in pes. Will cpu teams use them if set? Yes. Does that play good on the pitch? Well...errr....
There are different tactical options, cpu teams will use them and appear to play differently. But how all these options play out can be a bit of a problem, case in point the ridiculous "pressing" tactic in the past couple of iterations.

In 21 I hope pressing is more realistic, and defensive tactical options are not so passive so you fall asleep keeping the ball. Teams will use their assigned options no problem there I suppose.

or
Steam that costs £3.99 a month ? And you can still get FIFA 21 on Steam then? Is it the same thing or what?
I'm just asking as the price difference is noticeable and I wonder if we still get the same products (including FIFA 21 of course) from Steam either?

ea play 10 hrs at 3.99 also on origin app o store..game already pre-loaded

My EA play/acces has been so worth it for the past years
Just to play FIFA 17/18 (which I don't physically own anymore)
Cough...Titanfall 2 ... cough!
@PRO_TOO
played titanfall2 already...

EA aint got nothing in their portfolio i'm super interested in. bring a new fight night and i might change my opinion. EA access is the same as MS gamepass to me: plenty of software, but mostly not what i'm looking for. i'm missing some quality here!

@Chris Davies i was just thinking loud! :D not paying 4 bucks for a fifa21 demo (but there is more in EA access you could have fun with). from the videos i saw (waiting for more impressions here) its not much different to last year. i guess i have to wait (and pray) for "true" ng sports games next autum! both titles (all the sports titles!!)!

Last edited:
What time is it up on Steam?

Don't know why I do this to myself, but here we go again.

" It's been confirmed that you’ll be able to begin your first 10-hour trial of FIFA 21 through EA Play from 4pm in the UK on Thursday 1 October. "

So it seems it's arriving on Steam in 2 hours.

I'll probably get an EA play on Steam as well to try it for 10 hours which is fairly enough to find out again how shitty this game is. I've got FIFA 20 and I barely played I think about 50 hours in total since its release? So 10 hours is fine. Nothing to get hyped about, but let's the tradition takes its place again.

or

EA Play = $4.99
EA Play Pro = $14.99

EA Play = 10-hour trial of the full game (starting today)
EA Play Pro = Access to the full game without any restrictions/timer (starting today)

Just a heads up, Origin is still required even if you buy it through Steam.

EA Play = $4.99
EA Play Pro = $14.99

EA Play Pro = Access to the full game without any restrictions/timer (starting today)

Well explained mate. Thank you :-) I'll get stick to a standard EA Play plan definitely. Let's start refreshing Steam at 4pm :)) This is quite stupid that you know you won't enjoy it but still can't wait for it. Autumn = FIFA/PES, so maybe this is why..

Wonder which stadium (s) they've left out in BL?
(BM and Allianz i know)
15/17 in Bundesliga)
16/20 For La Liga (camp Nou we know why)
Serie A 1 stadium...
3/20 in Ligue 1.

Elland road not in yet mate from epl
Yeah,saw that,they even explained why (Corona)
But the had a trailer this (or last week) with "Total Bundesliga experience" but can't figure out why they've missed out on one stadium.

Elland road will be in later on if I'm not mistaken.
Lovely stadium,too bad EA won't create that atmosphere properly though:)

simple reason: only 1. bundesliga grounds are included, and the promotion process is still undergoing once the list of stadiums included is finalised. therefore no promoted teams (that do not have their stadium already incuded) gets a ground that year, but the following year (regardless of them possibly being relegated)

example: paderborn (Stadium included in 21, 2. bundesliga side)

missing this year: bielefeld. (promoted, stadium not included)

+ Freiburg missing due to ongoing legal issues with their stadium: it's not clear when they are going to move into their new ground, and EA obviously did not want to waste ressources on the old ground which is still used. (which is sad, a classic ground in germany it is)

simple reason: only 1. bundesliga grounds are included, and the promotion process is still undergoing once the list of stadiums included is finalised. therefore no promoted teams (that do not have their stadium already incuded) gets a ground that year, but the following year (regardless of them possibly being relegated)

example: paderborn (Stadium included in 21, 2. bundesliga side)

missing this year: bielefeld. (promoted, stadium not included)

+ Freiburg missing due to ongoing legal issues with their stadium: it's not clear when they are going to move into their new ground, and EA obviously did not want to waste ressources on the old ground which is still used. (which is sad, a classic ground in germany it is)
So grateful for your answer,had no clue!
Cheers man!
Ps,I agree on old stadiums Vs new stadiums,no(hardly no new) new stadium can match an old one.
Still miss my teams old 14 k stadium Vs our top of the line 30 k stadium/shopping mall

Reactions: OPM
hey @Chris Davies
i would like to know the following:

- will you use os fifa sliders?
- will you have a match or two with slower game speed and/or on full manual?
- how is the weight of players and footplanting (skating)?
- any improvements to overall and ball physics?
- differences to fifa20 (gameplay only)?

you know what i'm looking for...! ;)

thank you.
I think i'm your man.
I play with sliders, FUMA, slow speed but not in FIFA 20 because of the bugs on slow speed.

Taking about stadiums, there will be custom goalnets per team.
Example Ajaccio use generic stadium, you can see colored net.
20201001_161941.jpg

I just hope that EFL teams will have proper colors. Three colored stripes in the middle only (Sheffield Utd for example).

Its great adition to make game more realistic,and refresh.

EA Play = $4.99
EA Play Pro = $14.99

I can't find it in the EA play hub. Shouldn't it be there since yesterday to pre-load?

EA Play = $4.99
EA Play Pro = $14.99

Is it me or are they basically charging a fiver for a demo for the people undecided who want to try it

Back
Top Bottom