FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Apart from that, they changed the button to switch players to R1. I mapped it back to L1, and guess what, it doesn't have any effect. What on earth is this?
Scratch that too. As it turns out, it's just a visual bug in the menu... You need to keep L1 and R1 mapped the wrong way there, then it's correct when playing.

So I was finally able to play my first match, and it's pretty similar to FIFA 20 in general. The AI was very effective on Legendary, I ended up losing 2-5...

So after playing a few matches I am glad I did not pre-order (except I paid for a "demo", yay). It is just too similar to FIFA 20. I would rather have them to skip a year or two and then come up with a proper next gen thing with a new engine.

Right, they never said they were addressing either of those, so I'm not sure why so many on here expected it to be the case? Frostbite FIFA is crap movement system, been like that since 18 (still unsure if Liked 17's movement).

I really dont know how to answer you, because all my feelings over these years (after Fifa 17) are just a false optimism :LMAO:

For those who asked questions earlier (@manmachine, @rockstrongo, @normazimuth, @Madmac79, @PRO_TOO) - I've tried to answer as best I can in the video below (from 1:37:50 - the video should fast-forward there automatically):

(Apologies for the mic quality, my PC nearly melted from having to cope with FIFA, streaming, and maintaining connection to a Bluetooth headset...)

For those who asked questions earlier (@manmachine, @rockstrongo, @normazimuth, @Madmac79, @PRO_TOO) - I've tried to answer as best I can in the video below (from 1:37:50 - the video should fast-forward there automatically):

(Apologies for the mic quality, my PC nearly melted from having to cope with FIFA, streaming, and maintaining connection to a Bluetooth headset...)
Nice one Chris,much appreciated 👍

Got to say, overall, I'm really sad. It's a better game but there are still so many core issues I can't get past.

It's very challenging, at least - so I'll give Career Mode a go. But defending is so broken it's silly. It just doesn't feel like football to me - laser-accurate, bullet-fast passing etc... You can't near an opponent (nor can the AI) because of how useless defenders are... And there are zero fouls.

The better bits (the difficulty, the AI's patterns of play, the Career Mode changes) just NOWHERE NEAR balance out the worst bits (the 1v1 defending and the magnetic players and animations). IMO.

I'm just hoping they've been keeping next-gen FIFA secret for so long because the gameplay is better (and they can't tell us because they need to sell current-gen copies first) - and not because they're having major issues porting this gameplay, because I don't want it.

So sad.

My sliders are on speed: 20 and acc: 37 and its still to fast.
Trying to find balance between good speed and realistic player physics.
Default looks like speed fest. So ugly. Totally maded for fut and skillers...

But there are some good things. Its fun a lot of new options for stadium setup that makes game less repetitive and boring. Love artifical turf option.
Goal movement when ball hit post is amaizing also.
Mud is much better in options and it looks better.
Love custom goalnet colors (if you choose Nantes and even if you change stadium to other you will have yellow net color).

Got to say, overall, I'm really sad. It's a better game but there are still so many core issues I can't get past.

It's very challenging, at least - so I'll give Career Mode a go. But defending is so broken it's silly. It just doesn't feel like football to me - laser-accurate, bullet-fast passing etc... You can't near an opponent (nor can the AI) because of how useless defenders are... And there are zero fouls.

The better bits (the difficulty, the AI's patterns of play, the Career Mode changes) just NOWHERE NEAR balance out the worst bits (the 1v1 defending and the magnetic players and animations). IMO.

I'm just hoping they've been keeping next-gen FIFA secret for so long because the gameplay is better (and they can't tell us because they need to sell current-gen copies first) - and not because they're having major issues porting this gameplay, because I don't want it.

So sad.

Your impressions pretty much line up with what I experienced it sounds like?

Gameplay aside, why are the turfs even worse than last year. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but it looks like I'm playing in a movie from the 40s. I tried selecting the different shades of "green" in the options, but they're all equally terrible.

My sliders are on speed: 20 and acc: 37 and its still to fast.
Trying to find balance between good speed and realistic player physics.
Default looks like speed fest. So ugly. Totally maded for fut and skillers...

But there are some good things. Its fun a lot of new options for stadium setup that makes game less repetitive and boring. Love artifical turf option.
Goal movement when ball hit post is amaizing also.
Mud is much better in options and it looks better.
Love custom goalnet colors (if you choose Nantes and even if you change stadium to other you will have yellow net color).
What pass speed do you use?
I always use quite low for the ai (and myself) 15-30 ish for CPU, usually takes away the worst speed issues

I couldn't even get more than 30 minutes into a Aston VIlla and Liverpool match before just closing the game defending in this game is just...... Anyway I might give it some more time but so far its too much like 20 for me so I can't see myself even touching this years game.

Where you buying from mate if you don't mind me asking?

I have a friend working in a game store. That means that Championship Edition (not that I play FUT) etc. is on it's way and will be here in two days. Normal price is 80 euro. I will pay 33,5 - I guess it's possible for a resell for the desperate FUUUUT'ers if it's isnt for me. Still enjoy PES manual this year, but really awaits the data update for playing ML. FIFA can be tried with a fine career mode until then.

I have a friend working in a game store. That means that Championship Edition (not that I play FUT) etc. is on it's way and will be here in two days. Normal price is 80 euro. I will pay 33,5 - I guess it's possible for a resell for the desperate FUUUUT'ers if it's isnt for me. Still enjoy PES manual this year, but really awaits the data update for playing ML. FIFA can be tried with a fine career mode until then.
I just found it for £25. But seems too good to be true - so it probably is! :LOL:

Gameplay aside, why are the turfs even worse than last year. I thought it couldn't get any worse, but it looks like I'm playing in a movie from the 40s. I tried selecting the different shades of "green" in the options, but they're all equally terrible.
The cynic in me says dumb it down current gen to sell next gen.

A few first impressions:

I've only played two games of kick off but I really like how this feels. This isn't the same all guns blazing, animation locking, zero awareness FIFA 20 shite. Players have weight to them and leaves the least agile ones to lose the ball on sharp turns and makes making subtle movements with the smaller players so much more satisfying. The little touches your players will take when setting up their next move is so smooth and so realistic rather than with the last game where you were basically playing pinball. I feel the passing is much more varied with only the best pulling off the through balls and pin point passes, it's a lot easier to lose the ball with worse ball players but it hasn't felt frustrating. Players will get into the ball more to block clearances and put you under pressure. I think height and positioning is very important in terms of winning headers. No more 5'6 lads jumping from behind a 6'2 defender to get a clearance. It feels like a much better version of FIFA 20.

Only bad things I'd have to say at the minute is the player positioning can be a bit dodgy for both you and the AI and can sometimes have teammates sticking by one another and leaving a bit of space. Another thing is I just feel a lot stats are flat out wrong.

Meh, It's a mixed bag compared to 20, but why would anyone be so kind and compare it to 20? The problem with this game is that 1v1s and the crap player movement/animations are so blindingly obvious they should come with an epilepsy warning. Something like "warning: Animations may cause unexplained confusion and jerking movements of a body part and the midfielders disinterest in defending may cause sleepiness or other unusual feelings". Those 2 things just kinda define the experience and overshadow absolutely everything else, good or bad.

I don't think I'll enjoy a fifa game ever again as long as 1v1s are a thing. I'll just ask a simple question every year. Are 1v1s still a thing? Or, are rigid crap tactics still a thing in pes? And if the answer is yes, I can happily ignore both games and carry on with my life. Simple solution, no dramas or arguments. Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. :)

But since I have another 9 hours or something maybe some extreme slider adjustments for the line settings may help...

Last edited:
I think the worst thing with 1v1 after playing 4 seasons of FIFA 20 isn't the defending itself,CPU ping pongs it outside/inside the box and you have to player switch/cover franticly!
For me it's the cleared corners/CPU hoofing it up and my non controlled players not reacting to that until I take control of them,and giving the CPU an advantage everytime,top that off with player switching being kinda bad too (when the cpu mixed short and long passes and you have to switch cursor a bunch of times)

Last edited:
"year change but fifa never" - Platon

as a Pro Evo "Fanboy" i try every year new fifa games, so i had 6 kickoff games with my 10 hours trial...

Presenation great, stadiums great, atmoshphare great, gamemodes great... but the gameplay... stupid animtation, still ice skating, the feeling is so bad...

not my game this year, like the last years but maybe with next gen i will give it a new try. iam open minded for PES and Fifa but for me in terms of gameplay, fifa failed again.

M'y first 6 matchs on kick off
-FUMA
-6 minutes
-Speed : Slow
-Competitor mode : off
-no sliders yet
-Legend

PSG VS Liverpool // OM Vs OL

Benfica de Lisbonne Vs Betis Seville // England Vs France

Dortmund Vs M Gladbach // United Vs Everton

My first impressions.
I really appreciate the pace. There are some battles in the mitfield, it's nice. AI is better than FIFA 20 on attack and defence. In FUMA, when you make a mistake in the last 20 m, you paid it cash. I have 5 penaltys against me... All saved n'y my GK! They are human but vert good : Mandanda, Lloris made realistic but very kind saves!
I was good on FIFA 20 in defence, but Yesterday I Lost two matchs 5-1 and 4-0!

AI is brillant. Ball physics is really good, more curved on long ball and many variety on shoot animations. It's a massive step forward.
The speed on slow is good but a bit too high for me. I will play with sliders soon.

For now, it's a very good game. More harder than FIFA 20 on legend.
The graphics are almost the same with massive aliasing on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
I really waiting for my PS5 ans my Xbox Séries X to see better animations. Because of high speed dribbling sometimes, it's look unreal and arcadish.
But I really enjoyed my first Two hours and a half with FIFA 21!

Sorry for my bad english, I'm French so WE sucks so much in English!

So my very early impressions at the moment are a little bit mixed. I think there are some definite positives which are great and can make a big difference. However, I fear some old issues might spoil it..again.

I want to be constructive so I'm not hating on the game. I actually think it could turn out to be quite good if some adjustments are made. I just want to explain it and provide some examples and pray it can be fixed.

I should say, I'm not so much a 'mechanics' guy, I can overlook certain flaws of the game if it makes me have to think when I play it - so that's mainly the focus for now. I also look at the way the game comes as a base. I have attempted to fix any issues I'm talking about below also. If I've noticed it, I've tried sliders, settings etc to try and fix it before writing about it. If right or wrong, I've moved beyond the idea that it will come perfectly out of the box and we can just play. For me, it will be a result of getting the right combination of settings, sliders and possibly mods down the track.

Positives:

+ The AI feels deeper. There's much more variety in their play which results in more organic, unpredictable moments. They hold the ball a little longer and 'think', they don't just pass, pass, pass. This shouldn't be understated - it is a big deal. It feels less 'soulless' than FIFA 20.

+ The 'skating' feeling has definitely improved. Is it perfect? No, but it's an improvement in my opinion, players do feel a little more grounded compared to what they have previously.

+ The shooting ball physics feel really good, it's not as 'floaty' as last year. There's more punch and gravity to shots.

+ The game in general feels smoother which isn't all that descriptive, but it does feel different and better to FIFA 20.

+/- Midfield/positioning - this is where things get a little bit frustrating. I need to have a midfield in a football game. There's actually nothing I hate more than just constant end to end. I do think there's a midfield in this game - but I think it could be much better with the elimination of 1v1. I think the midfield resistance has improved compared to FIFA 20 (so in that regard it is a positive), but it's still not at the level I feel it should be - especially on Legendary. So for me this is both a positive and a negative and I'll explain a little more about why in the negatives.

+/- 1v1 - It's a positive in the sense it's not quite as bad as before. Teams do defend a little more as a team, but it's a massive negative that it exists at all. We have a on/off setting for so many things, why can't we just SWITCH 1v1 OFF!

Negatives:

- The 1v1. This is the biggest problem with the game in my opinion. It just creates many positional problems throughout a match which really pull you from the immersion and ruins so many of the positives. To be fair, it's less of an issue than last year and the defensive line is more active, but the midfielders really do switch off and it leads to many problems.

The fact that it exists means the overriding instruction for the AI is to have it's own target. This just doesn't hold up to basic football logic and creates many times where a player is being marked in order to satisfy the '1v1' and they will ignore danger and ignore marking 'dangerous, logical space' as a result.

I've provided a couple of examples below of what it can lead to.

For the sake of comparison I want to show how it should look - so I've used FIFA 16 as an example.

In the 21 clip you'll see Xhaka and Ceballos just completely uninterested in what is happening in front of them. They just stroll along and stand watching.

In the FIFA 16 examples, you will see how the central midfielders are active and engaged, moving to cover dangerous areas. You'll see Ceballos tracking a run deep into the box and you'll see both of them condensing space on the wings, adjusting their position based on the position of the ball. All of this results in far less 'isolation play'

....which brings me to the other negative of 21...the collision system.

- The collision system There's not a proper battling for the ball and it's just far too easy to get beyond a player. Defenders often put their hands out and do a whole lot of nothing at all, and you can just keep running away. The 1v1 problem makes this collision issue far worse, because often once you're beyond that player you generally don't have other players around you to have to beat. The 1v1 means if you've beaten someone, the AI by philosophy won't mark you or react quickly enough (which you'll see in the next video). It leads to so much space and it results in too many long vertical runs through space with a defender or two chasing you.

Again, I've provided a video example, showing you how this can happen and have compared it FIFA 16. There's just a small example of 16, but it shows how you have to consider physicality and you can't just twist your way out of danger with most players like on 21.

So these are just my very early impressions, I hope with more play and more tinkering it can be fixed or reduced (or in an ideal world EA fix it). I think overall it's not all doom and gloom, but this 1v1 feature is really holding the series back.

Last edited:
So for me legendary is always to clean. No exception in fifa 21. On legendary no fouls. Now on workdclass (and bumping acceleration slider of the cpu to 52). Playing 15 minutes in game (10 min game). Cpu already received yellow and now makes a second foul! Very excering. Legendary yesterday was so boring! Try it guys!!
Finished the game now 2 yellow cards for the cpu nice! I think the best way to play this fifa is on worldclass maybe pick a weaker team when it is to easy also increaing the cpu acceleration can help.

Last edited:
Talking about good stuff (atmosphere, graphics etc) that little touch custom goalnets is fantastic. It makes game much less repetitive. I mean check Court Lane. Even with artifical turf and custom goalnet its different stadium.

KogCVtU.jpg

5O5BZl9.jpg

Also i like when ball hit post goal movement

And after scoring goal now you can shoot ball into goalnet

So second game, now with matt10 sliders for shorter halves (only changed all the sliders that have to do with positioning: marking, heigt, wide, run frequency etc.) And there you have it: midfieldplay! My cam (ziyech, chelsea) was in the midfield to pick up the ball and looking for a troughball. Yes i think this game can be tweaked to a game where you can have fun with. (Don’t talk about good offline footballgames to me last years. Just looking for a little fun)

Nice solo goal from my CB to make it 5-0, while still in the 1st half.
I just thought "let's give world class difficulty a go", but that wasn't a great idea after all.

Last edited:
Nice solo goal from my CB to make it 5-0, while still in the 1st half.
I just thought "let's give world class difficulty a go", but that wasn't a great idea after all.

I think, no, you must have played it wrong and don't take fun out of this game.
You must pass around, back and forth as if there is a midfield battle between you and cpu even if you have the chance to go forward quickly easily. So the game looks having good midfield battle gameplay. :CONFUSE:
Naa.. joke .

Back
Top Bottom