Forza Motorsport 3

Re: Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)

For some reason I really don't like the screenshots, I just think "they're nowhere near the standard of Gran Turismo", but when I see the game in action I think it looks amazing. Weird.

I remember Forza 2 looked so much better in action than the screenshots. I'm sure Forza 3 will be an amazing looking game, but GT5 will probably edge it graphically, especially as they have a bit more power at their disposal with the PS3.

However I've always thought Forza as a series is more rewarding to drive than GT. I just love the feel of the car physics and grip. It feels right.

The 'Fujimi Kaido pure awesomeness in C Class DTM c**kpit view' video looks a bit pants. The AI cars in front all zoom off in a perfect straight line right up each others arses with no attempt to swerve around each other and overtaker. There isn't really much of a sense of speed as well apart from the downhill area of the track.

I remember Forza 2 looked so much better in action than the screenshots. I'm sure Forza 3 will be an amazing looking game, but GT5 will probably edge it graphically, especially as they have a bit more power at their disposal with the PS3.
I thought Forza 2 looked pretty rubbish in action to be honest, I've still got it here and when I play it I feel like I'm "missing out" almost. When you see the graphics in GRID (which is stunning), or PGR 4 (especially with the weather in there as well), it doesn't compare. I was praying that Forza 3 would have the same graphics as those games.

But saying that, the reason is because so much CPU power is being used up by the driving engine - the tire deformation looks amazing for a start. Speaking of the driving engine:

However I've always thought Forza as a series is more rewarding to drive than GT. I just love the feel of the car physics and grip. It feels right.
Agreed 100%. Gran Turismo 4/5 felt so sterile to me when it came to the gameplay, it felt like I could never really stretch the car to its limits. It felt a bit like taking a shopping trolley around Asda to me.

The 'Fujimi Kaido pure awesomeness in C Class DTM c**kpit view' video looks a bit pants. The AI cars in front all zoom off in a perfect straight line right up each others arses with no attempt to swerve around each other and overtaker. There isn't really much of a sense of speed as well apart from the downhill area of the track.
Is the AI in GT better this year (that's a genuine question not a snide remark, I haven't seen many videos)? I remember a lot of complaints, some from ClassicD and myself many moons ago, about the AI in GT never changing or doing anything different.

I agree on the "sense of speed" bit though, even watching the videos linked to above I don't think that looks improved from Forza 2 which is a shame. It's as if they just need to make the scenery move by a little bit faster...

Rob check these video's out.. can feel the sense of speed... Especially in the in car view.... These vids are amazing...

http://www.taxigamer.com/Xbox_360/F...403/Gameplay_A_Lap_Around_Sedona_Raceway.html
Yeah those vids are pretty impressive... The physics look nice and the graphics are more than acceptable.

Sense of speed looks a bit better than 2 but I think it still looks too "smooth" even in the cockpit view, it's good that we have one now though.

Is the AI in GT better this year (that's a genuine question not a snide remark, I haven't seen many videos)? I remember a lot of complaints, some from ClassicD and myself many moons ago, about the AI in GT never changing or doing anything different.

I agree on the "sense of speed" bit though, even watching the videos linked to above I don't think that looks improved from Forza 2 which is a shame. It's as if they just need to make the scenery move by a little bit faster...

I seriously doubt the AI in GT5 will be any different. I'm sure they claimed it would be more human like in GT4 but I never saw it. The closest I think I came to seeing anything remotely human was the AI cars occasionally spinning out but it felt really terribly scripted rather than an error.

The speed thing... the other day we drove to Bolton and I kind of had a day dream moment thinking about things (I'm the passenger not the driver) and then when I came back to reality I had the feeling we were driving really slow as the cars around us and scenery didn't seem to be zooming along but we were doing 70mph. Then when we pulled off the motorway and were doing 20mph it felt like we were going at 1mph. It was a snails pace slow.

Is there any news about Forza 3 online? Mainly, is there still 8 cars in a race or is there more now? (this goes for offline too)

Forza 2 was a blast online but it would be better if more cars were involved.

Still 8 I think I read somewhere :(.

(cue jonney coming and saying "PC raecr's haev up to 32 palyers onlnie cuz pc gaemers r hardcroe seriuos innit")

Im surprised Jonney is still here with the amount of shit you lot give him :LOL:

Fair play to him for not taking it all seriously :)

Just wink at the end to make it all ok of course ;)

And I thought GT has the 'driving on ice' feeling to it

The difference in the videos/trailers and what actually happens in game have always been very different with Forza. This year will see it's best handling and most realistic driving simulator yet. The work that has gone into every bump and corner of the tracks, and how that relates to the cars and more specifically the tyres is staggering. Michellin claimed last week they've seen nothing like this before in a computer game, and not even the F1 teams have gone as far with their setup as Turn 10 have here.

The difference in the videos/trailers and what actually happens in game have always been very different with Forza. This year will see it's best handling and most realistic driving simulator yet. The work that has gone into every bump and corner of the tracks, and how that relates to the cars and more specifically the tyres is staggering. Michellin claimed last week they've seen nothing like this before in a computer game, and not even the F1 teams have gone as far with their setup as Turn 10 have here.

So what is the point of showing cars driving sideways in all directions to make the game look like ridge racer if you can't do that?

The cars don't look like they have any weight to them as they slid left and then shift right. It's as if they're weightless and driving on ice with bald tires. In the youtube video below you can clearly tell when the weight of the car shifts from one side to the other and then just after that the car starts to drift.
In the forza vid, especially the first white car, the car seems to drift left and right with no force behind it. There's no tell tale sign of the weight being shifted to 'swing the car hard left and then yank it right to get the back end out'. It's just starts to slip and slide almost automatically as you approach the corner.

YouTube - perfect double drift

Just had a quick go of the demo...

I just dont know what to think about games any more! Seems the more 'real' they get, the more fun gets sapped out of the experience.

Yes, it looks good and is basically a direct rip off now of GT (front end wise, music etc) - but didnt get any sense of 'fun' at all and turned it off after 3 goes without blinking an eye.

Where is the MP aspect of the demo too? Thought it had at least leaderboards in?

I guess the real fun is buying, building and winning cars in the full game, customising them to your personal tastes and going online to battle others.

Demo's usually give a decent impression of the full game, but as we've found with both PES and FIFA, the final product should and usually is a whole lot better. I played Dead Space demo and thought it was utter gash. After reading some reviews a few months later, I chose to buy the full game and absolutely loved it.

Hmmm... always dangerous demos arent they? Meant to be there to suck the user in - and as you say, arent always 100% of the finished product - so it could put people off.

I'll still get it, but it just feels a bit sterile - GT5 is sterile enough for a console racer, I dont think we need 2! I guess its just a straight choice now as the games are so seemingly similar - if you have a PS3 its GT5, 360 then Forza3 - and you'll get virtually identical experiences from each.

Add to that GT5 has now been put back to March 2010, by which time there'll be plenty of DLC's and patches available for Forza 3 :LOL:

You're right, too, demo's can be very dangerous at times, and certainly put off many prospective buyers.

Few decent summaries so far on Forzanet and the like :

Well, after practically no sleep and staying up till the wee hours of the morning I finally got my hands on the much anticipated Forza Motorsport 3 demo. If any of you are fans of the Forza Motorsport series you know that this game is going to be big. How big? Like super massive black hole big. With that in mind here are my initial impressions of the game.
Physics:
The cars themselves actually do feel heavier. Why this is I can't really say, since how do you exactly convey "weight" or "mass" to the player through a little plastic controller? It's not like the controller itself gets heavier or anything, or that the thumb sticks get harder to push around. What it is exactly I can't tell but in the end the fact that it is present gives this game a whole new dimension of awesomeness. No longer do you have cars that seem like they are just floating across the tarmac with absolutely no weight to them and changed direction as if they had rocket boosters mounted on each side of the car. No, this time around you feel like the car has weight to it.
There is also a whole new set of tire deformation physics that in my opinion will differentiate this game from Gran Turismo. The tires themselves visibly deform on screen when you go over bumps and around corners. This deformation is modeled into the way the car feels and handles. Ever tried taking a turn quickly in real life over a slight crest? Remember how the car feels like it is lifting off of the ground but you can still maintain control because the tires are still in contact with the ground? Well, there is actually a sense of this happening in the Forza 3 demo. It is hard to explain but when you take some of the corners on the track that go over the crests, the cars feel like they "lift" off the ground only to snap back as the weight settles back down.

Very very cool.
New Features:

There is a new clutch feature that is mapped to the left bumper of the xbox 360 controller that adds a new dimension to the game. Though there is a slight learning curve to using this efficiently it is in my opinion no where near as difficult as driving without ABS for the first time. The one thing I found annoying about the clutch is how difficult it was to brake and use the clutch at the same time. I thought long and hard about this but it beats me as to where to move the clutch on the controller. As it is I would say the clutch is in the best place possible though at the same time ironically difficult.
Autobrake is one feature that I just hate. I get the concept and all but when I tried it the lack of control made me feel like I was caught in a relationship with a successful business woman (not that I don't like successful business women ). What this feature does as most of you who follow the game know is brake for you automatically as you come up to a turn. Some people thought that this would lead to an unfair advantage for those who use it but I can honestly say you are definitely slower while using the feature. One thing to keep in mind is that it seems like this feature uses the in game racing line as a guide and as we all know that line isn't always the fastest. So no worries of 11 year old kids in Bugatti Veyrons lapping you here.
PI system:
The PI system seems to be better now, though with the limited set of cars and no ability to tune them it will be hard to determine anything concrete about it until the full game comes out.
Graphics:
The new graphics engine is rock solid. It is an absolute step up from Forza 2 which in comparison shouldn't be on the same console. The cars are every bit as beautiful as the screenshots and videos we have seen. The environment is crisp and detailed and really adds to the sense of immersion that the developers were undoubtedly trying to produce. The whole time I was playing I did not notice a single skip in frame rate or any noticeable aliasing that detracted from the environment. I'm sure there will be some of you that don't agree but all I have to say to that is screw you.
Summary:
All in all I have to say that Forza 3 is shaping up to be every bit as great as we expect it to be. Thank you Turn 10 for putting so much effort into the game, it really is paying off.

Fairly enjoyable, not a real petrol head so I just look for fun, maybe it's just me but the loading time seems really long? Also only 1 track x 2 laps? Seems a bit limiting even for a demo.

^ It's been a niggle for quite a few folk, too. Much better to include a fastest lap session or similar, but no, just the 1 track. Limited, like you say.

Hasn't stopped some guys getting a bit carried away with it all :

This post probably won't be well organised as I am just writing as it comes to me.

In Car View: Many games have in car view, but it never really holds my interest. I use it briefly to test it out but usually end up going back to hood/bumper view as I find it to be more distracting than anything. Grid was like that for me and Race Pro has the same issue. I can't put into words what exactly I didn't like about them, but part of it had to do with limiting view and making it a lot harder to hit an apex (for me anyway) than using the bumper or hood views.

What ever turn10 has done differently works. At no point while playing the demo did I think "Hmm, I'd be faster in hood view because..." While I did switch views a few times just to see how different angles looked, when I was actually racing I stayed in cockpit view. Whatever you did Turn10 I love it and plan to use cockpit from now on.

Rewind: I was never a fan of rewind, but I admit in my first few races I used it. Mostly because the AI kept hitting me up the rear and it was frustrating, so hey at least it does what you intended, stop the rage quit. When it comes to general usage, It's going to be very useful for learning specific troublesome corners, particularly on the longer tracks.
The one and only thing I don't like about it is that I can't choose where to restart from. I would have much preferred to have a live rewind feature similar to Grid/Dirt 2 that allows me to stop at a chosen point rather than it automatically rewind to specific points of the game's seemingly random choosing.

The Clutch: I won't say anything about it's overall addition as the clutch is really a personal thing, I chose to use it. What I don't like was the choice to stick it on the LB slot. I think it would have been better suited to the A button. I never use the e-brake except when I try and drift and that would have probably been better mapped to the LB slot so the A button was for the clutch. It's a lot easier to hit the A button and X/down shift with the thumb than it is trying to brake and down shift in the current layout. The more I play with the controller the quicker I am adapting to it, sooner or later I probably won't care, but on immediately picking it up it feels awkward. Alternatively it could have been mapped to the Y button, not as easy to hit but it's not like the look back button is needed when you can just hit back on the RS instead.

Physics: The physics are better. There's more sense of weight to the cars, you can feel what the car is doing even through the controller. When I touch the grass or knock the wall, every thing happens how I would expect it to. I don't feel like the car is going to over steer when it shouldn't and when I brake too heavily or too late, the car under steers and it feels completely natural and above all else, improved over Forza 2.
When I jumped in the Porsche, I immediately felt the difference from the Ferrari. Right from the first corner I knew that if I didn't concentrate a bit more than in some of the other cars, the Porsche would stick me in the wall backwards. It truly felt less forgiving to slight lapses and heavy footedness.

Controls with controller: One thing I felt straight away is that the controller felt much more accurate this time around. In Forza 2 I didn't have confidence going into some corners that I would hit the apex as the LS didn't seem as accurate as I would have liked. A good example of that is the left hander at Mugello where the track splits from the longer and shorter variations. I never felt confident at speed on that left hander when using the stick, but I did using the wheel.

So far the controller has felt perfect to me. At no point did I feel the controller wasn't giving me enough accuracy to take the corner as fast as I feel I can. It was much more natural and flowing as it should be.

Controls with wheel: I also used the MS wheel to see the difference and to be honest, it felt just as natural with the controller as the wheel did. The brakes don't seem quite as sensitive without ABS on any more which is an improvement for my heavy left foot. The only thing that might slow you down at first is the A button clutch. I don't have huge hands to reaching for the A button on the wheel while turning or changing gear is a stretch, but it's something I will have to get used to until I can afford the clubsport pedals for the Fanatec wheel. All in all the wheel feels exactly like it should and operates perfectly.

Graphics: Well, I'll leave this one to Homer.

droolinghomer712749giff.png

Hmmm... always dangerous demos arent they? Meant to be there to suck the user in - and as you say, arent always 100% of the finished product - so it could put people off.

I'll still get it, but it just feels a bit sterile - GT5 is sterile enough for a console racer, I dont think we need 2! I guess its just a straight choice now as the games are so seemingly similar - if you have a PS3 its GT5, 360 then Forza3 - and you'll get virtually identical experiences from each.

get a pc and your laughing mate. GTR EVO FTW!!!:WORSHIP:

Had a blast before, is it just me or is the handling a bit GT-esqué now? :SHOCK:

First thing I noticed was the graphics. Haven't been impressed by any of the screenshots, nor the videos, but I couldn't believe it when I saw the game on my 360. Incredible.

Second thing was that the handling feels stiffer now; perhaps that's because I'm used to playing with modified cars in Forza 2 but I don't know, it definitely seems a bit GTified to me.

Third thing was the AI, which seems pretty good, but on the hardest difficulty the highest I've finished is 5th! I'm glad it's harder now but Jesus Christ I couldn't get near them!

I really like it, I just hope the career is a bit better this time around, and that the tracks don't get repetitive as quickly as they did before. That's the killer for me, perhaps they're considering some track DLC this year (which I would definitely buy)...

EDIT: Oh I meant to say, compared to Forza 2 it does feel like you're going faster now when you really put your foot down - with the decent cars at least. I was quite surprised by that. I really like it, I just hope they've done things to help the feeling of repetitiveness...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom