Middlesbrough FC - Throw Down The Anchor!

Stuart said:
u'll have to become a Toon fan then m8 ;)

And its local :mrgreen:

Now hey we'll have less of that blasted talk in here young man ;)
Now shoe! shoe! :mrgreen:

*prays Stu doesnt go as he's the only person in here*

The new improved team is shaping up nicely. Unbeaten in pre-seasons so far and the team is clicking together very well by the sounds of it. The lack of pace seems to have been forgotten and the passing movement sounds delicious. Theres a report from Forest today if anyone if interested...

Nottingham Forest match report

By Martyn Rush
Date: 27/7/2004

Middlesbrough tore a moribund Forest side apart at the City Ground tonight, putting 4 past Paul Gerrard in a scintillating display of passing football......

BORO SOAR PAST JET-LAGGED FOREST

Middlesbrough tore a moribund Forest side apart at the City Ground tonight, putting 4 past Paul Gerrard in a scintillating display of passing football.

Forest came into this game off the back of a disastrous pre-season tour of the USA, and seemed jet-lagged, sluggish and completely out of shape and ideas. Boro were their antithesis, disclipined, organised and showing the kind of crisp passing football that will take the Premiership by storm next season.

The game started at electric pace, the 12,000 home fans in fine voice, but it was Boro who looked the more dangerous, Mark Viduka latching onto a loose ball and ramming a cross into the box, unfortunately it fell to Forest colossus Wes Morgan, not the ever-dangerous Hasselbaink.

Hasselbaink was at his clinical, razor-sharp best, and he opened the scoring, taking advantage of a hapless defensive error to be one on one with Paul Gerrard. There was a delicious inevitabilty as Hasselbaink slipped the ball into the net for a satisfying 1st goal for the club.

Boro looked like they could score at any time, and were completely in control. Forest on the other hand, only saw salvation in their midfield dynamo Andy Reid, the one shining light in their team of darkness.

It was Boro's all action left back Queudrue who added an easy 2nd to the tally, placing home a loose ball after a Mendieta corner with his right foot, to the delight of the sizeable travelling army, crammed into a small section of the Bridgford stand.

On a bad note, the ticket-only policy for this game caused massive disruptions and delayed lots of Forest fans entries into the ground, which probably dimmed the 12,690 attendance.

But in the half-empty cavernous City Ground, Boro went into half-time with a comfortable lead, Forest having only threatened with a couple of dangerous crosses.

Forests podgy but threatening left-flank, consisting of Gregor Robertson and Andy Reid's crosses caused headaches for Schwarzer, who seemed to have no command of the box or his defence. They lacked confidence in him, which is a niggling worry.

Parlour showed his true class in this game, flying in for tough tackles, before getting up, beating a player and passing a swirling ball to the flanks. A complete midfielder.

Viduka also shone, showing what true strength he had, before being brought off for Joseph Desire Job, probably in lieu of the Newcastle match. Job had an instant impact.

Boro were so dominant, even George Boateng fancied his chances, a scuffed shot hitting the post before Job slammed home with his first touch, sending the Boro fans into raptures.

The Boro fans were entertaining themselves, with the back row especially vocal, putting Forest's notorious A block to shame.

On a negative side, Parnaby was again injured. If he is ever to cement his position in the team, he has to stay fit. Luckily, sub Anthony McMahon came in and performed brilliantly, a truly attacking full back.

Boro's 4th, and best, came through Hasselbaink, a goal you cannot imagine any of last season's strikers scoring. A loose ball in the box, ice cool Jimmy swiveled and powered the ball into the bottom corner ruthlessly. A real predator.

Following the 4th, Boro played some superb football, knocking the football around as Forest chased shadows. Southgate especially, showing his class.

Forest finally scored courtesy of Westcarr in the final minute, drawing sympathetic EIO's from the Boro crowd. In short, Forest were shockingly bad, compared to say, Rotherham, and it seems another long hard season awaits them.

But as for Boro, fans can draw massive encouragement from this game as we completely annihilated them and killed them off, showing our ruthless side, and also with the performances of Queudure, Southgate, Boateng, Mendieta, Parlour, Viduka and Hasselbaink.

Minor complaints possibly could be attributed to Schwarzer, who pulled off some remarkable saves but looked shaky, Downing who seems to have lost his driving force to take men on (Forest's defence was just asking for it tonight).

But all in all, a display to be proud of, one that bodes well for the titanic season ahead, setting us up nicely for Mallorca next Wednesday. See you there.

Man of the Match: Franck Queudrue, simply stunning all round display.

By Martyn Rush

Unbeaten in Pre-Seasons eh Boro? I'm stunned........

And that had to be a Boro fan that wrote that....please tell me it was...was it you???

Not that I want to diss Middlesbrough, I hope they come in 2nd this season and win another Carling cup....come on PARLOUR!!!

No it was a guy from the Boro fanzine as it was the only review present at the time, however there is a Forest review available now ill see if i can get my hands on it.

EDIT: I cant get hold of it, the site wont let me copy the text...
Forest Review

You mean this report from the Forest site?

Nottingham Forest: Gerrard, Louis-Jean, Robertson, James,(Commons 69mins) Morgan,(Hjelde 64mins) Doig, Reid, (Beaumont 84mins) Jess,(Gardner 73mins) Impey, Johnson, (Taylor 64mins) King (Westcarr 84mins)
Subs not used: Ward, Perch, Bopp, Cash, Biggins
Scorer: Westcarr 90mins,

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Parnaby, (McMahon 37mins) Queudre, Parlour, Ehiogu, Southgate (C), Boateng, Mendieta, Hasselbaink, Viduka, (Job, 60mins) Downing
Subs not used: Morrison, Wheater, Peacock, Turnbull
Scorers: Hasselbiank 10mins, 66mins, Queudre 20mins, Job 61mins,

Referee: R Oliver

Attn: 12,690 away: 919

Middlesbrough gave Forest a harsh lesson tonight as their superior quality gave them an easy win. But Forest didn't fold even when they went four goals down and got one back just before the final whistle.

Just a look at the Middlesbrough teamsheet was enough to send a shiver up the spine. Full of big names, it showed that McClaren was treating this game seriously.

With injury worries before the season even starts Joe Kinnear is still not sure who his starting line-up will be at the start of the season. He put a full team's worth of players on the bench, which surprisingly included Jon Olav Hjelde, who is currently looking for a club.

It was a bright start from both sides, looking more serious than a pre-season friendly, with Middlesbrough showing their superiority early on.

But Forest were not without chances. A long range shot from Jess was on target and forced Schwarzer to put the ball over for a corner. Reid was on target seconds later and this time the keeper tipped the ball round the post.

Middlesbrough took the lead far too easily when Robertson made a mistake, letting Hasselbaink in and he made no mistake putting the ball past Gerrard.

After a lull in play Boro increased their lead. The ball from Mendieta came off a Forest player. Queudre picked it up on the far post and slotted past Gerrard.

The crowd was momentarily brought to life when Hjelde warmed up in front of A Block and was given a loud and warm welcome.

King should have scored when the ball was crossed to him on the near the post. But instead of getting his head to the ball he tried to reach it with his foot and failed to make contact.

He did better minutes later when the ball came to him in front of goal. Schwarzer managed to parry the ball out but Johnson slipped and was unable to follow up.

Middlesbrough's superior passing prevented Forest from getting much of the ball towards the end of the first half.

A rare break gave Forest a late chance but Reid's effort was cleared by Queudre just before the half time whistle.

The first half started very slowly and Forest had their first chance 12 minutes in following on from a free kick. Robertson put the ball back out to King who produced an overhead kick that only just went over the bar.

Middlesbrough substitute Joseph-Desire Job got himself a goal within a minute of him coming onto the pitch. After some scrappy defending by Forest the ball came back out to Job and he slotted into an empty net.

Forest's substitutions were less successful with Boro getting their fourth goal just after Taylor and Hjelde came on the pitch. Hasselbaink picked up a weak punch from Gerrard and when the ball landed at his feet the Boro player had no difficulty in putting the ball in the back of the net.

Kinnear made a series of substitutions, bringing on some of the younger players for the final minutes.

And they finally got a consolation goal just before the final whistle. The ball came across the face of goal. Westcarr reacted quickly and confidently slotted the ball home.

Much appreciated (again) loz. IE wasnt letting me do it. I thankyou :thumbup:

Boro, looks like you'll be watching alot of footy this season ;) . . .as if you dont already.

Should be some quality fights for the top half of the table and spots in Europe. I cant fucking wait for this shit to get started.

Hey, i`m a a born boro-fanatic.. Just to let u know ;) I`m kinda worried about juninho, his defenitly not the same anymore, but i don`t want him to leave either..

JeJe said:
Hey, i`m a a born boro-fanatic.. Just to let u know ;) I`m kinda worried about juninho, his defenitly not the same anymore, but i don`t want him to leave either..

Good to hear from you mate :)

I love Juno and want him to stay at the club, even after he retires as an embassador for the club sorta role, and to help the club out coaching etc. He's got a few years left in him but he just doesnt fit into my starting 11 anymore. What bugs me are the people who think Boro is all about Juninho. But hey he's still usefull to have coming off the bench in the 2nd half.

Looks like we'll be playing with Tony McMahon as our RB for the first few games to with parnaby and reizieger injured :l

Too bad we couldn`t keep mills.. Certanly one of the best players last season. Haven`t seen McMahon in action so far, but parnaby is decent (how bad is his injury? Will he make it to Newcastle?).. I`m really looking forward to see how Downing perfroms this season, i really believe he can make a breakthrough.

To be honest im glad we got shot of Mills, he attitude stunk once he found out we wouldnt meet his wage demands. He had a brilliant first half of the season then went downhill from there.
Parnaby's injury doesnt look to bad but we wont know if he'll make the geordie game till next week. Same with Reizieger he was taken off injured and was in pain, but he was able to watch the second half yesterday so theres hope.
Ive got faith in McMahon if he does step in mind, i saw him in the Youth Cup a few times last season and he was a good strong player but obviously lacks experience.

I'll be keeping my eye on Downing. He's got bags of potential but hasnt shone out in that many first team games (bar Man Yoo away and one of two others) but in saying that he hasnt had a run in the side. I think we'll see alot more of him, with so many games this season (fingers crossed we progress in Europe) we'll need our squad. Zenden is only on a one year deal as well, which, in my opinion, is too see how Downing progresses and if he comes on to a first team standard we wont need to keep Zenden. I beleive what McClaren is trying to do is buy experience now while we blood the youngsters and the future could look very good for us. Especially with Peacock, Morrision, Bates, Graham and the rest of the youth side. Sergio doesnt look to bad either but i dont know if we've signed him yet

As you may understand i don`t get much "boro tv" here in Oslo ;) So i haven`t seen the outstanding youth side everyone talks about yet, but i`ve read some really promising things (written by boro fans..). I have to say, things have never looked better for us. I`m considering a Boro World-subscription this season as well :D

Lol Boro World isnt brilliant. Ive got a years free subsciption that runs out soon and it isnt really worth it. Mind you if you want to listen to the games on radio then yeah go for it.
The Boro fanzine FMTTM is a good read as well, check their website (and forums) out and if you can afford it, subscribe to that (shameless advertising :D). Good to keep you up-to-date with the goings on around the club and what the fans think.

Do you get over here often to see us?

Boro said:
Do you get over here often to see us?
So ur in the squad? That`s one good fan ;)

I`ve only been there once. Leeds game 99/00 - 0-0.. No goals, 2 or 3 chances, fantastic game.. I was in heaven.. I managed to spend about £300 in the retail shop, hehe. I will return, soon.. I always go to london in february, but boro never plays in london while i`m there.. But in norway they show loads of PL games (3-5 a week), and every now and then they choose boro. In fact they`re showing both of their first games, newcastle and arsenal.. can`t wait! A link for the "The Boro fanzine FMTTM", please?

I honestly dont know mate. My heart is saying Boro my head is saying draw. I dont think we'll lose it though. But then again you'd expect me to say that and i wouldnt expect you to say you'd lose either. I think they'll be goals so ill put my head on the line and say:

Boro 2 - 2 Newcastle

And i think the scorers will be Jimmy and Mendi, and Shearer and Robert.

How bout you?
(less than 2wks to go :D)

Juninho has defo had an offer from Celtic, he's pondering the move as i write . . . .

Why is Juninho gonna struggle this season? Was he set to be a 2nd string player?

Yeah he isnt gonna get in the starting line up, well not for the major games but with injuries or fatigue maybe. He's too much of a luxury, if we play him it leaves the defence open.

Id love him to stay as he's good to have on the bench, but in a way i want him to go. We've got too many fans we support Juninho ahead of the team, and cant seem to grip the idea of him not being in the first eleven. Its quite ridiculous the amount of stick McClaren is getting from fans for not playing him when its quite obvious he isnt a player we can have in our starting line up any more. So at least by getting rid of him we'll shead the Juninho Before Boro feeling. Although then again everytime we lose we'll get comments of "oh we wouldnt have lost if we hadnt sold Juninho".

As for Juninho as a player, he has lost the spark from his first spell. He's still a good player and can still play well in the Attacking Mid role, but cant beat his man as well as he used to.

so if he goes then so be it, but id like him to stay.

Juninho just isn`t the kind of player you place on the bench, and as boro says, that`s probably where he`ll be this season (if he stays). He`s been my idol for almost 10 years now, so it`ll be hard to see him go..

Chaps, how is Jerrell Floyd Hasselbaink going to do for you this season? How has he looked in pre season? I'm pondering putting him in my dream team if he has had a new lease of life at yours. He didn't have the best year with us last year.

Get him in there. Guarenteed starting line up. Pre-season he's got a few assists and i tihnk two goals including a stunning turn and shoot shot. Id put money on him getting at least 15-20 this season. Infact id bet he'll get our winner tommorrow ;)

Boro, R u going tonight? I`ll be cheering from oslo, i`m usually the only boro fan at the pub, but hell, it`s all about making the most noise! I`m so exited, woke up with a good feeling today (in other words, we can`t loose;)) .. Come on BORO!

Here in Canada a national sports channel is showing Boro vs. Newcastle tomorrow morning Vancouver time. This will be my first time watching Boro play but I've been a fan for a while. They work with whatever they got and it's defintely a goal for all the small clubs to become. Hope the new signings will make Boro into a well-known club across the world and best of luck to succeed in the UEFA Cup.

Hell yeah im going this evening! Cant wait! The buzz from football is definatly bak ive been singing boro songs all morning

COMON BORO

Back
Top Bottom