PES 2008 (PS3) - Official Topic

So here’s ny contribution to the PES 2008 vs. FIFA 08 discussion.

I’ve been watchting a lot of videos of both games but i haven’t actually played either, so you must keep that in mind when you comment my post – there’s a chance that i’m completely wrong, and i can’t really argue with you guys, who have played the game.

I’ll start with Fifa.
First thing i noticed was that the gameplay was quite slow and that the attacks were build up slowly. The pace seemed quite realistic and from what I saw, it’s quite hard to break down the AI defence.
The athmosphere around the matches was great and this is where Fifa always beats PES. In PES the crowd noise is quite bad and you can’t hear the songs clearly etc. etc. But in Fifa you hear the supporters chant and you can even hear the stadium speaker yell out the players names before kick-off. A nice little detail.
The gameplay in Fifa looked more realistic than ever before and the player movements without ball were just like real life. It’s also clear that scoring isn’t as easy as in the previous versions of the game. The opponent defence was very strong and defended the goals without nonsense.
But everything wasn’t great. First thing I noticed was how the ball seem to stick to the players feet like glue. No passes went astray and the players first touches were never bad, and that’s not realistic. Also every player seemed as though thay had the technique of C. Ronaldo. I couldn’t tell the difference!
Furthermore the AI looked quite scripted – yet again, I’m afraid. I was watchin a game between two COM-controlled sides and every attack was build up in the same way. The midfielders passes the ball to the wings, who crosses the ball. Every attack was just like that, and in a game I saw between Valencia and Man Utd, I didn’t see a single regular shot - always headers. Also there was no one-on-one situations, something that usually happens a couple of times in a match IRL.
Lastly the keepers were quite bad and didn’t move in to the right position to save headers and such.

All in all FIFA looks lige a good game, and I really like the more realistic touch, but I can’t – of course – be sure until i try the game.

And now it’s PES’ turn.
In opposition to Fifa, the gameplay is quite fast in PES and maybe a little bit arcardeish, i’m afraid. I can’t say for sure until i’ve tried it myself, though. The passing was quick and the game was very fluent. The player animations were very good, but not as good as Fifa IMO. I think it’s because Fifa uses 360 degrees control, while PES-players still get the shitty eight angles.
Compared to Fifa the players made more mistakes in PES – like they do IRL. Some passes went astray and some first touches were quite bad. Also the ball has it’s own life and doesn’t stick to the players feet.
The mayor thing that I noticed in PES was the great variety in the AI gameplay. It didn’t seem scripted at all and the AI attack used many different tactics – longs balls, crosses, shots from outside the box, through passes etc. etc. That’s a great thing.
Furthermore the keepers are very realistic. They position themselves well and comes out to collect crosses and corner kicks.
But, of course, PES has it’s mistakes too. First of all, the players seem more “robottic” than in Fifa, because Konami for some stupid reason haven’t implemented the 360 degree control. Also the dribbling looked a little too easy when using players like Ronaldo and Giggs.
I must say, I don’t like the very fast pace of the game. For me it’s a little too fast, but I think that Konami must have thought a little more about the entertainment this time.

When I compare the two games, I get two totally different games. PES is much more about the attack, while Fifa focuses on the defence. PES has the better goalkeepers, but Fifa is better in terms of player animations when moving without ball. It also seemed much harder to score in Fifa than in PES. But Fifa was relly dissapointing, when it came to the way the players moved with the ball. It looked like there was 22 Ronaldinhos on the pitch and the ball stuck to their feet like glue.

My conclusion so far is that both games definately are worth buying, and I think i’ll buy both, because they compliment each other well. If you want the slightly faster and more attacking-minded football experience, then play PES, but if you wan’t the slower and more defensive game, where it takes a little longer to set up attacks, then play FIFA. Both games are very good and realistic in it’s own way.
I’ll admit that i’ve been a PES player for the last 3-4 years or so, but this tim I really think that EA have produced a great game, while PES continue to add new exciting stuff to their already great gameplay.

Basically I think it’s a question about, whether you want the game that tries to reinvent itself every year, and not always with the luckiest outcome, or the game that has the basic game engine and keeps on adding new features and realistic animations. But hopefully EA will continue working with the 08 engine and not start all over, like they did, when they were making FIFA07.

By the way.. I’m very sorry for my poor english. I’m danish and i’m very tired – it’s almost 2 AM over here! ;)

no great news if you think of PES6 had support to play 2vs2 from 4 different IPs, it is certainly a step back and so stupid if this is true. maybe they still could not fix the lag issues and found removing 2vs2 support as a solution.

I still consider it great news if true - because I didn't expect it to be in the game. And I don't consider it at step back because the 2vs2 from four different IPs never worked properly.

2vs2 is definitely the way to play PES imo.

Found this on ps3only.nl:

A couple of days ago Georges Fornay, President of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of SCE Europe, told the press that there will be an exclusive Pro Evolution 2008 PlayStation 3 bundel in the future.

Today the price and release date of that bundel has been announced. According to a french retailer the bundel will be in the shops on the 14th of november with a price tag of €429,50. It'll be a 40 GB model, one controller and off course our beloved game PES 2008.

http://www4.fnac.com/Shelf/article.a...0081309&Origin

Anyone know about the editing features for the PES on PS3? i mean i know its not gonna be as good a PC but reckon that there will be more to edit? editing faces seems a bit more advanced but what about kits? reckon we can import more realistic kits than the ones imported into the ps2 ones?

does anyone know if the game will have multi-platform support or not? like PES6 had pc vs. ps2 multi-platform support? cause if the game will be the same for all 3 platforms it is a "must have".

I can't wait to see a demo of some form, simply to (hopefully) dispell some of my fears. I have no doubt that the game will be good, they always are (I couldn't comment on the 360 version however) but from some of the videos I've seen some really poor goalkeeping yet again. It would appear that the old "fall back into the net parry" is back for one.

I've not bought a fifa since perhaps ps1 or early ps2, but with a ps3 and a lack of games, I did get fifa 08.

Whilst it's not as fluid as PES, it has some really innovative features that if implemented correctly in future versions would be great.

strictly in terms of goalkeeers, it would appear that there is a decent variety of "moves". By this I mean variations in dives etc.

I really hope PES does this, seabass mentioned new moves in terms of old things being redone, and not just actual skills e.g flip-flap/elastico.

I guess we'll know soon, but I really hope PES is a case of evolution and in the right departments.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see a demo of some form, simply to (hopefully) dispell some of my fears. I have no doubt that the game will be good, they always are (I couldn't comment on the 360 version however) but from some of the videos I've seen some really poor goalkeeping yet again. It would appear that the old "fall back into the net parry" is back for one.

I've not bought a fifa since perhaps ps1 or early ps2, but with a ps3 and a lack of games, I did get fifa 08.

Whilst it's not as fluid as PES, it has some really innovative features that if implemented correctly in future versions would be great.

strictly in terms of goalkeeers, it would appear that there is a decent variety of "moves". By this I mean variations in dives etc.

I really hope PES does this, seabass mentioned new moves in terms of old things being redone, and not just actual skills e.g flip-flap/elastico.

I guess we'll know soon, but I really hope PES is a case of evolution and in the right departments.

I would totally agree ive got fifa on my 360 and while its not as fluid as pes the keeper animations are excellent being a keeper myself its the first thing i look for and so far pes hasnt come close to getting it right :mrgreen:

So here’s ny contribution to the PES 2008 vs. FIFA 08 discussion.

I’ve been watchting a lot of videos of both games but i haven’t actually played either, so you must keep that in mind when you comment my post – there’s a chance that i’m completely wrong, and i can’t really argue with you guys, who have played the game.

I’ll start with Fifa.
First thing i noticed was that the gameplay was quite slow and that the attacks were build up slowly. The pace seemed quite realistic and from what I saw, it’s quite hard to break down the AI defence.
The athmosphere around the matches was great and this is where Fifa always beats PES. In PES the crowd noise is quite bad and you can’t hear the songs clearly etc. etc. But in Fifa you hear the supporters chant and you can even hear the stadium speaker yell out the players names before kick-off. A nice little detail.
The gameplay in Fifa looked more realistic than ever before and the player movements without ball were just like real life. It’s also clear that scoring isn’t as easy as in the previous versions of the game. The opponent defence was very strong and defended the goals without nonsense.
But everything wasn’t great. First thing I noticed was how the ball seem to stick to the players feet like glue. No passes went astray and the players first touches were never bad, and that’s not realistic. Also every player seemed as though thay had the technique of C. Ronaldo. I couldn’t tell the difference!
Furthermore the AI looked quite scripted – yet again, I’m afraid. I was watchin a game between two COM-controlled sides and every attack was build up in the same way. The midfielders passes the ball to the wings, who crosses the ball. Every attack was just like that, and in a game I saw between Valencia and Man Utd, I didn’t see a single regular shot - always headers. Also there was no one-on-one situations, something that usually happens a couple of times in a match IRL.
Lastly the keepers were quite bad and didn’t move in to the right position to save headers and such.

All in all FIFA looks lige a good game, and I really like the more realistic touch, but I can’t – of course – be sure until i try the game.

And now it’s PES’ turn.
In opposition to Fifa, the gameplay is quite fast in PES and maybe a little bit arcardeish, i’m afraid. I can’t say for sure until i’ve tried it myself, though. The passing was quick and the game was very fluent. The player animations were very good, but not as good as Fifa IMO. I think it’s because Fifa uses 360 degrees control, while PES-players still get the shitty eight angles.
Compared to Fifa the players made more mistakes in PES – like they do IRL. Some passes went astray and some first touches were quite bad. Also the ball has it’s own life and doesn’t stick to the players feet.
The mayor thing that I noticed in PES was the great variety in the AI gameplay. It didn’t seem scripted at all and the AI attack used many different tactics – longs balls, crosses, shots from outside the box, through passes etc. etc. That’s a great thing.
Furthermore the keepers are very realistic. They position themselves well and comes out to collect crosses and corner kicks.
But, of course, PES has it’s mistakes too. First of all, the players seem more “robottic” than in Fifa, because Konami for some stupid reason haven’t implemented the 360 degree control. Also the dribbling looked a little too easy when using players like Ronaldo and Giggs.
I must say, I don’t like the very fast pace of the game. For me it’s a little too fast, but I think that Konami must have thought a little more about the entertainment this time.

When I compare the two games, I get two totally different games. PES is much more about the attack, while Fifa focuses on the defence. PES has the better goalkeepers, but Fifa is better in terms of player animations when moving without ball. It also seemed much harder to score in Fifa than in PES. But Fifa was relly dissapointing, when it came to the way the players moved with the ball. It looked like there was 22 Ronaldinhos on the pitch and the ball stuck to their feet like glue.

My conclusion so far is that both games definately are worth buying, and I think i’ll buy both, because they compliment each other well. If you want the slightly faster and more attacking-minded football experience, then play PES, but if you wan’t the slower and more defensive game, where it takes a little longer to set up attacks, then play FIFA. Both games are very good and realistic in it’s own way.
I’ll admit that i’ve been a PES player for the last 3-4 years or so, but this tim I really think that EA have produced a great game, while PES continue to add new exciting stuff to their already great gameplay.

Basically I think it’s a question about, whether you want the game that tries to reinvent itself every year, and not always with the luckiest outcome, or the game that has the basic game engine and keeps on adding new features and realistic animations. But hopefully EA will continue working with the 08 engine and not start all over, like they did, when they were making FIFA07.

By the way.. I’m very sorry for my poor english. I’m danish and i’m very tired – it’s almost 2 AM over here! ;)

What do you exactly mean by 360 degree controls? Because when dribble slowly in Fifa08 i can only choose 8 directions to move in also....

PES 2008 is the best football simulation ever. I played both, PES and FIFA. If you know football, than there´s no other choice than PES.

hi,
i would like to know if it is possible again to change the in-game-menu-language to english in all the version for the different countries (germany, french...). as they have different covers in each country and with the last game of the serie (pes6) not making this language selection option available, does anybody know.

as i hate the german translation of the menu and the commentary i would like to see such language selection being in the game.

worse, in pes6 it wasnt able to play with an german option file and a english copy of the game, is this back to normal too?

thanks

How soon do you guys think after release will there be an option file available to download for pes 2008 for ps3? I always liked milanista and mikes files best for ps2, Are they going to work on a pes 2008 version?

Totally agree - if this was implemented in the same way it was with Sensible World of Soccer I would NEVER get bored!!

Here, here. I've been saying this for ages, but Konami doesn't care at all. It would be soooo easy.
And rafau you say maybe next year? I say LOL dream on... better getting the new SWOS I know that's what I will do.

I barely play PES these days, the game just seem to have stalled since the last 2-3 years and I'm guessing it will be the same with PES2008.
Well, it will probably still be fun for some 2 player action anyway.

So, YET ANOTHER multiformat PS3 game suffering from slowdown (if the Seabass interview is to be believed.

Those PS3 hardware bottlenecks are really starting to punish Sony now aren't they.

I wonder if Sony are going to release a RAM cartridge for games so it can keep up with 360, SEGA did it with Saturn when it started to struggle with Arcade games.

Last edited:
So, YET ANOTHER multiformat PS3 game suffering from slowdown (if the Seabass interview is to be believed.

Those PS3 hardware bottlenecks are really starting to punish Sony now aren't they.

I wonder if Sony are going to release a RAM cartridge for games so it can keep up with 360, SEGA did it with Saturn when it started to struggle with Arcade games.

I remember many times when I played the new WE before PES it always felt that way, when the PES was released it was always faster. Maybe its a case of the game trying to be slower for less pinball like football.

Seabass actually confirmed that they couldn't get the final version of PES2008 running on PS3 without slowdown. According to the interview this was the only difference between it and the 360 version.

Back
Top Bottom