PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I tried a quick five mins top player man ual pass advanced shooting. I was Liverpool playing Palace.
I know it's way to early to judge but I normally struggle on this level
End of 1st half I was 2 nil up but I noticed when I was sprinting through the AI wasn't catching my fast player up. Could be a one off

game seems broken since update?

local multiplayer and the game seems faster but more importantly collision system seems all over place, players bounce and telepport of each other its so fast. also some ridiculous scrambles for the ball and weird lapses in ball control thorughout game

anyone else noticed this? so so odd

I was thinking to do a little experiment. Over the last few pages we discused a lot of interesting things if it comes to little tactical tweaks and settings.
I was wondering could we, collectively, improve @Lobbedball experience, using just the points we talked about.
Every one of us use a bit different tactics and I wonder, could we spot something from his approach/settings, that could lead to his matches feeling different?

@Lobbedball , you said you play
15mins, TP, manual.

What about the rest?
Formation
Attacking style
Defensive style
Fluid formation (?)
Advanced tactics

Could you check and list all the details on all of them?

And could you describe what exactly pisses you off right now?

Of course - its all providing you'd like to do something like this. No pressure. :LOL:

Things like player ID - cant do much about them ones, but if you suffer from no build up, wings spam, too much AI passing precision, or AI going behind your defense frequently, together we might get some ideas how to tackle it.
Would be interesting to see how powerful these tools are.

After 5 Games on SS i finally won my first game
I've had 3 L and 2 D,my last draw was a 3-3 game Vs a very good Fiorentina,where I scored in the 93rd minute.

I beat Genoa 2-1,a game where I had 65% possession.

What I love about the SS is that CPU doesn't chase you like mad men,and they change/adapt game play constantly,which I have to do as well.
Love that you can control your players,giving them space if your playing it right,small touches when having a defender on your back etc.
Also being able to draw free kicks, challenging players that have a yellow card etc

I moved over to play short passing when facing teams below/equal to you.
Smarter/better teams still needs to be handled with care.
Can't praise this enough right now,loving every game.

Last edited:
Right now using the correct "contain" instruction makes lots of diference. Also, pass distance is very important for attacking diferent teams. This game is GOLD!
Exactly. It can be a minor little setting that makes our team, or AI, to be head wrecking. Its worth a shot.

This morning I tried SS level. I did get a bit furstrated because I didn´t won a match. But after the session, I couldn´t find a reason not to like this dificulty. It´s much more balanced now. It´s hard, but I keep felling I have a chance if I play the correct "cards".

I´m with Huddersfield, and I have Rushford on loan, some Laucaro Martinez upfront, and this morning I brought in Joaquin from the youngsters (I really don´t mind about the regens, it´s like nostalgia being able to play with the players I saw growing up IRL). Schedule hasn´t been easy, I´ve been trying a more patient approach so I don´t get caught in counters. It´s amazing though, to watch CPU using a lone striker. Some of them are strong and very hard to keep up with. It makes me think in bringing on a better CB from the market wich is currently open. When I need, I move Rushford to the ss position, and boy, what a diference that makes! Suddenly I have more depth while attacking, and force CPU to be more cautious. Still hard to score but I always feel I´m so damn close!

Later at some matches I sub in Mounié, and I already won a goal on a corner... Joaquin with the crossing and Mounié, rather stronger and better heading, scores a satisfying tactical goal.

This morning I tried SS level. I did get a bit furstrated because I didn´t won a match. But after the session, I couldn´t find a reason not to like this dificulty. It´s much more balanced now. It´s hard, but I keep felling I have a chance if I play the correct "cards".

I´m with Huddersfield, and I have Rushford on loan, some Laucaro Martinez upfront, and this morning I brought in Joaquin from the youngsters (I really don´t mind about the regens, it´s like nostalgia being able to play with the players I saw growing up IRL). Schedule hasn´t been easy, I´ve been trying a more patient approach so I don´t get caught in counters. It´s amazing though, to watch CPU using a lone striker. Some of them are strong and very hard to keep up with. It makes me think in bringing on a better CB from the market wich is currently open. When I need, I move Rushford to the ss position, and boy, what a diference that makes! Suddenly I have more depth while attacking, and force CPU to be more cautious. Still hard to score but I always feel I´m so damn close!

Later at some matches I sub in Mounié, and I already won a goal on a corner... Joaquin with the crossing and Mounié, rather stronger and better heading, scores a satisfying tactical goal.
Leave Joaquin alone!
He's a Betis legend!
He shouldn't be up in Yorkshire
Sounds like your enjoying it pal.
No Cunturipa for you?

I really don´t mind about the regens, it´s like nostalgia being able to play with the players I saw growing up IRL
Im the same. I actually like regens. They have detailed looks and commentators say their names. There is nothing more annoying to me than to play with a team, where commentator doesnt say a single name.

I was thinking to do a little experiment. Over the last few pages we discused a lot of interesting things if it comes to little tactical tweaks and settings.
I was wondering could we, collectively, improve @Lobbedball experience, using just the points we talked about.
Every one of us use a bit different tactics and I wonder, could we spot something from his approach/settings, that could lead to his matches feeling different?

15mins, TP, manual.

What about the rest?
Formation
Attacking style
Defensive style
Fluid formation (?)
Advanced tactics

Of course - its all providing you'd like to do something like this. No pressure. :LOL:

Things like player ID - cant do much about them ones, but if you suffer from no build up, wings spam, too much AI passing precision, or AI going behind your defense frequently, together we might get some ideas how to tackle it.

I’ll bite, try to make this as short as possible.

Biggest change: game length. Now on 20 before on 12. It's another game now.
Superstar is the 'best' level for me. Top Player feels weird, Legend is just crazy.
Formation: You should vary often, because the AI adapts to your playing style (in ML at least). I usually start with a 4-2-3-1 as a base which I can change into a 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 depending on the situation.

In my experience the 'Advanced Instructions' are more important than the Attack and Defence settings. I usually start with 'Centring Targets' and 'Hug the Touchline' in Attack and 'Deep Defensive Line' and 'Swarm the Box' in Defence, but I vary this often during a game (up to 5 times). If I am in the lead in the dying stages I pull my CMFs back to become DMFs and assign them the 'Defensive' instruction. I hardly ever play Gegenpress because it is draining your players and it leaves you vulnerable at the back

If you want to play attack style put your support range all the way up and play long ball. Make sure you have blazing fast winger, best with 'Pinpoint Crossing' trait. For possession support range should go all the way down and look for players with high containment and passing stats.

Defensively I usually play a 4-5 bar line height and 5-6 Compactness. Again, as the action unfolds, you should change this.

When dealing with strong AI forwards (Vardy, Zaha etc.) you should mark them, even double mark them. I haven't figured out yet what advantages and disadvantages man marking has, but I am ok with it.

I don't play fluid formation anymore. I had the feeling it was confusing my mates too much.

The general key is to be willing to change things on the fly and change them often. Yes, it interrupts the flow, but it's so rewarding when you see how your mates implement your decisions (which can of course also be wrong sometimes).

One last thing, specifially for @Lobbedball: Rather than looking for the obvious and not finding it (Messi Speed Dribbling, Ronaldo Power, Hazard being deadly etc.) look for the lesser known players and how they sometimes come up with amazing stuff. I've not heard much of Borja Valero before but he has turned into by far the most important player in my Inter squad. Everything runs through him, every attack and every first line of defence. He is simply amazing on the ball, a wonderful passer, has great vision etc. His only flaw: he is a bit old and runs out of steam early. So my last tip: in ML try to find quality (+80) players so you have every position covered at least twice. This allows you to rotate and vary.

This game gets so deep now. Every single decision is tactical. Even when buying players, you´ll have to take a look at their best positions and mentalities, or they might not fit on your tactics and play like a rookie. Some players are more defensive, some are more attacking. Some are slower, but their positional awereness is amazing. We might build the perfect tactic, but if some player´s awereness is weak, it might all go down the drain. I believe it´s a problem on my team. I have enough players on defence to avoid counter attacks, but they are not that sharp on positioning and decision making, so when the CPU hits the gas, someone will eventually screw up a marking leaving the whole team praying for the best.

Leave Joaquin alone!
He's a Betis legend!
He shouldn't be up in Yorkshire
Sounds like your enjoying it pal.
No Cunturipa for you?

Ahah I´m affraid not.

I love some regens because that´s when my team starts to show some individuality. It might not be that noticeable to our eyes, but then you notice that Joaquin shows up at the right places at the right times, his dribbling is way better then the rest of the team, his crossing always brings danger to the oponent, etc... He´s like that guy that I can always trust to put in a long ball, as he will get it right and if he is one on one with the defender, then it´s time for the CPU to start praying eheh. He´s a crucial player now, as Rushford got injured for the next couple months.

Lost to inter om a 89 min goal.
Funny thing,i havent felt cheated yet on the goals I concede!

Like @xicpanad says ,when you get to know your players,you'll know both strength and weaknesses,and adapt situations accordingly.

Love the pressure from Inter, sometimes they back off,sometimes, obviously when I'm not paying attention they step up and press you ,trying to play out of that pressure,very tricky!

When they start to go up, I like to leave a winger supporting the striker. I usually use Rushford as a LM because while he attacks quite well, he supports the defensive move as well. But when I´m a goal down or CPU tries to push the attacks more often, I like to leave him as a LW or a SS. That way he stays closer to the striker, and when I can, I´ll throw a long ball to him and catch the defense off guard. Normally this leads to one on one situations with CPU defenders so there´s always a chance to get a goal in.

Like @xicpanad says ,when you get to know your players,you'll know both strength and weaknesses,and adapt situations accordingly.

Yes, absolute key. You need to study them in depth, assign the right training routines (don’t use ‘Balanced’), know their special skills and where to put them, and, more importantly, where to not put them. Don‘t expect a team of players who are all superstars in real football to automatically work in PES.

I can not believe people here are still playing any kind of games vs Com.

At any level it is ridiculously boring. Rinse and repeat..Bland, shallow. Absolutely empty.
There is nothing that can help the "vs Com" game now. Not the jerseys, patches, gameplay patches.

So bloody boring.

The fact is that cpu does not make some of their players shine, change tactics, make fouls..NOTHING.
Even if there is some trace of that, it is not noticeable at all.

On other side myClub got better fortunately.
Otherwise, ML and anything related to cpu games is worthless.

Yes, absolute key. You need to study them in depth, assign the right training routines (don’t use ‘Balanced’), know their special skills and where to put them, and, more importantly, where to not put them. Don‘t expect a team of players who are all superstars in real football to automatically work in PES.
Yes,very true!
Also having smart transfers,I need to look carefully if I'm signing any players.
Will make some moves next season.
I usually start building a squad season two

I can not believe people here are still playing any kind of games vs Com.

At any level it is ridiculously boring. Rinse and repeat..Bland, shallow. Absolutely empty.
There is nothing that can help the "vs Com" game now. Not the jerseys, patches, gameplay patches.

So bloody boring.

The fact is that cpu does not make some of their players shine, change tactics, make fouls..NOTHING.
Even if there is some trace of that, it is not noticeable at all.

On other side myClub got better fortunately.
Otherwise, ML and anything related to cpu games is worthless.

Hmm, funny thing is we are all talking about these exact things. Looks like you need to try it more and probably with a diferent approach. But hey, it´s not for anyone to be honest. It has its flaws yet, but there are moments were players shine, there are teams playing diferently, and change of mentality throughout the match, and also fouls, plenty of them to be honest. Game is very good for me now, still not great, but very good.

15mins, TP, manual.

What about the rest?
Formation
Attacking style
Defensive style
Fluid formation (?)
Advanced tactics

Advanced formation is:
Possession
Support range medium
Frontline pressure
Hug the touchline
What pisses me off is the fact that dribbling is non existent, you can t use pace to out mustle a defender like in previous pes, you have to play a passing game or a move to get past,and messi just isn t messi,he s just a player slapped with a 94 rating in the game,i can see nothing significant from messi in this game other than taking good freekicks and long shots, as dribbling takes you no where in this game.
Other thing, wing crosses are bugged, everytime the ball is knocked out of a defender never my attacker touches it...i dont even know what s happening but wing play is only fruitful for low passea inside the box after a right back overlaps and gets inside the box, this is resulting in too many same old goals with no variety, and that s if i score it would be the only way to be done from.wing play

Last edited:
What in the name of fuck have they done to this game? I updated it yesterday with the new stadiums and my goodness the game is like its on steroids.

Its way way to fast even on normal speed. The CPU is overly aggressive and seems even worse with its one touch ping pong passing. I just played Rangers vs St Johnston and they were back heeling it around the area for fun, I couldn't keep up.

GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol u made me laugh man, yeah that is funny to see a lowely team play backheels galore

Basic shooting, wtf? I'm missing A LOT of chances, the FUMA- people must scratch their heads when facing me online lol. Could have something to do with the fact I'm using pretty crappy teams though... which, again, could show that stats do matter.

Last edited:
Just had the best game of football since probably years. A 2-2 draw with Everton. Just whole play was suberb. Top player, pa1, adv through ball and advanced shooting.. I went 1 nil up with a shot from 20 yards, I dominated the 1st half with possession. In second half it was a different game. They equalised via an open net from a rebound. They then missed a penalty. On 71 they scored to make it 2-1. On 85 I countered an attack and put a great through ball for mane to chase ",out paced the last defender to score low into far post. On 89 Everton hit the angle via an header followed by a long shot wide on 91. What a game

LOL.. I was just about to report the complete opposite. The biggest difference after last week's dlc, was that the game has definitely slowed down. Day matches now feel like playing in rain. And after today's patch, it feels like its even slower.. daytime matches feel awesome. Doubt its just the teams used... because I used a variety.. and its now the slowest the game has ever been. The other thing, after today's patch (and I only played about 5 games on superstar), but it seems like there are a hell of lot more interceptions. I mean.. yeah my PA0 is not great, but I intercepted a heap of the pc.
Here is a game I had moments ago, on PA0, Basic Shoot, Superstar 20mins, 0 default speed (look at stats at end):

There is another patch? Cant wait to try it for myself! It looks smooth.
Look how CPU bought for that pass fake at 7:06! Thats is new for me.
I know that we must avoid talking about fifa here but, this game looks amazing only to watch! Its so much more football comparing to that mess that fifa is. Fifa has stagnated. Its too gamey. Dont know how to express myself. I hope you guys get it.

I really need to put some time into advanced through ball I think... Played around with it in training mode and love the variety of passes it allows, but in the fast pace of a match I end up cocking it up all the time as it's not become muscle memory yet. I mostly play co-op online which isn't really the place for experimenting and giving the ball away like that :LOL:.

I do love an L2 manual pass though and regularly use these even though I'm on PA1. Picking out a long ball with one of these, combined with the great ball physics... Probably the the best thing in football gaming for me and a big reason as to why I keep playing despite the shortcomings.

For people struggling with dribbling... Double tapping R1 (sprint) is probably the most useful move in the game especially if the player has high acceleration. It's all about timing, wait for the defender to commit and then burst past them. It usually works better if you are just jogging (LS only) before it so the change in pace is more pronounced, although you can do it while sprinting or standing still as well. Continuing to tap R1 and running in a straight line will allow you to get away from slower players... If you turn even slightly then you lose a lot of the speed which is a bit silly.

The feints can be useful but I haven't really gotten into them myself, occasionally use them for a first touch. Spoony Pizzas on Youtube has some excellent tutorials explaining them and pretty much every other game mechanic in great detail for anyone interested in learning that side of the game.

It's not as easy as the old PS2 games to dribble through teams and score individual goals, but the top dribblers are certainly capable of it in 2019 if you have the mechanical skill with the controller. In PES6 you just had to do a few 45 degree turns, double touches by wiggling the LS and you would have skinned like 4 players with Ronaldinho... The 8-directional movement made it very simplistic and limited (but great for the time).

Last edited:
Advanced formation is:
Possession
Support range medium
Frontline pressure
Hug the touchline
What pisses me off is the fact that dribbling is non existent, you can t use pace to out mustle a defender like in previous pes, you have to play a passing game or a move to get past,and messi just isn t messi,he s just a player slapped with a 94 rating in the game,i can see nothing significant from messi in this game other than taking good freekicks and long shots, as dribbling takes you no where in this game.
Other thing, wing crosses are bugged, everytime the ball is knocked out of a defender never my attacker touches it...i dont even know what s happening but wing play is only fruitful for low passea inside the box after a right back overlaps and gets inside the box, this is resulting in too many same old goals with no variety, and that s if i score it would be the only way to be done from.wing play
What about attack?
Maintain possession or flexible?
Defense - aggressive or conservative?
Compactness, defensive line?
There is a lot of things there are most of them have affect on the matches.

I noticed that keeping your team in shape is crucial as AI will see and expose all the gaps.
So personally I have Maintain Possession when attacking. Flexible messes things up a bit.

I dont like to use too much of a defensive options together.
Frontline pressure makes you vulnerable to AI long passes. Instead I just have defense on Aggressive, with All out defense mindset.

At the start I had frontline pressure, aggressive AND gegenpress together, but that was just nuts.

Im switching to Frontline pressure only if I have nothing to loose, plus I go up a notch with arrow UP for more attacking mindset.
I dont go two arrows up anymore - this was usually resulting in AI getting another few goals instead of me chasing them up.

You could try lowering support range few notches if you are not finding many passing options when on build up.

Adv tactics I have same as you - hug the touchline.
Defensive - deep defense line and wing back.
As much as different attacking tactics seems to suit different people, personally I think Wing Back is huge if it comes to minimising AI low crosses.

As for crossing - it was nerfed big time, comparing to 2018. Especially on manual its not easy to get a proper cross into the box.
Im not scoring many of them myself.
Most of my manual crosses, when holding direction down, were heading too far away from goal, making it almost impossible to score a header.
Recently I started noticing that holding direction bit more towards the goal↘️ seems to improve my crosses.
But I need to test it more.

I've seen few clips from people in here and their crosses were fantastic. They were scoring a lot of goals, all on manual.
So, obviously, we're doing something wrong there and there is a room for improvement. But I wont give you many decent crossing tips as mine are also shite. :LOL:

I do have to say tho - this is a nice change for me, comparing to 2018, where 80% of my goals were from crosses. Crosses and headers were too OP last year.

As for dribbling Im slowly but surely discovering new ways to go past players and I really enjoy dribbling lately.
Body feint with right trigger to one direction and then going another is a fantastic weapon.
Same with L1 close control that @rockstrongo sold me recently.
Also, stopping with R2 and then bursting another way is doing wonders.
Dribbling is not as straight forward as it used to be, but as much as Id agree with you (that its not existent) few months back, I have to say I was wrong. I just didnt know what to use and when.

Dont know what else to say. Cant do much about player ID. I need to try this SS on manual myself. Maybe on higher difficulties better players will be able to surprise me.

Really hope that you will find your sweet spot there, because underneath the surface its a really solid game. Just takes more effort to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom