PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

Re: PES vs. FIFA - The Thread

virtua fighter is much better than tekken.

I will buy both games.. FIFA looks more like real football when watching the gameplay videos... I don't think anyone can argue that. however, I have always perfered the PES/WE gameplay. FIFA has improved drastically since 2007 but still was behind PES in gameplay.. and I think the main and maybe ONLY thing holding it back for me is the button lag and responsiveness with the gameplay.. if it has the same responce time as PES it would be a lot closer to the PES gameplay and in some cases better.

FIFA 08 looks to win in graphics, licenses, animations, sound, teams, modes, online.. etc..

the only category I would say PES has the advantage is gameplay which ironically is the most important part.

However, I don't think Konami has put in enough effort on next gen like EA has yet. I'm willing to play FIFA 08 primarily this year for the first time that I can remember and put up with and get use to the button lag issues because everything else is so next gen on FIFA.. even the tricks look very promising on FIFA.

ps. vf is much better than tekken.. and I would agree in the past that VF = PES.. FIFA = tekken both VF and PES takes time to master and the overall gameplay by far much deeper and more enjoyable.. in the past you could button mash your way to victory in both FIFA and Tekken

Last edited:

I didnt say Metal lol I said Rock :) like Chilli Peppers and Oasis etc..

Kylie Minogue is better than Danni....

...the same as PES is better than Fifa.

Because one is intrinsically better than the other; a more beautiful experience, more depth, more talent and because she just is.

Unlike Danni, Fifa has taken big leaps lately (whereas she just has new breasts). Fifa has a better engine than it ever had, yet, yet, go on the other thread and you find a lot of guys clutching at straws, desparate to convince themselves about Fifa 08.

There is no doubt the PES series has stalled in recent years, probably not moving forward since 2005 (some would say 2003), but Konami Tokyo just get the mechanics of football that little bit more than Ea Sports.

In PES, the players have a little bit more weight to them, a little bit more character, and it always felt that bit harder to score than in Fifa.

Fifa 07 on the Xbox was a good game. Animation was good. Graphics good. Presentation excellent. I enjoyed the game for a couple of months, at a time when I was fed up with PES6.

Fifa 08 looks very impressive in videos. The options are better. The presentation will wipe the floor. And the management mode is more complete than the masterleague. Playing with correct kits, licenses and leagues is a massive bonus in HD- although the Option File editors of PES 2008 will be working harder than Danni Minogue at a free plastic surgery convention.

I predict playing with Fifa 08 will be very good, looking forward to the game very much. But because of the response times and perhaps something else which I can only describe as style, because of these two things even if I'm totally absorbed in the game and having a great time.......

....IT STILL WON'T BE PES.

and that's why PES has a cult following and Fifa doesn't.
To date that is; things change.

Last edited:

I was thinking about something the other night... Which is more realistic (genuine question, I'm finding it hard to think about)?

PES (auto) passing - you hold a direction, you tap pass, and the ball is automatically given enough power, enough weight and enough of an intelligent direction to reach the player in as good a position as possible

OR

FIFA (manual) passing - you have 360 degrees to choose from, you aim, you have to hold pass for long enough to give it enough power, you can add loft/hit a low pass by holding down one of the top buttons, you can accidentally hit it behind a player, underhit or overhit it, or even purposefully overhit it to get it into space

Now FIFA actually lets you choose either, which is good of them really (a lot of games companies will replace features rather than let you have a choice - no names mentioned!). But the reason I've been thinking about this is that one of the FIFA producers said himself in an EA blog entry a few days ago that, and I quote, "things that are easy for a professional football player to do should be easy for a user to do". But is that absolutely right? A professional footballer would also want to dink the ball into space rather than direct to feet all the time. But saying that, if you're Gerrard or whoever, the chances of you kicking the ball straight to the opposition are lower than other players around you, and so perhaps it is actually more realistic to use a system that does a lot of work for you. But then, is it fair that your pass gets intercepted when you have actually done nothing wrong yourself?

Just a (long-arsed) thought.

Last edited:

Jack,

I don't know, but I just had a game of PES6. Quite enjoyed it and tried some manual passes using the right-analogue and the button beneath it. Pretty good you know. You have to aim the pass, and its not easy, I probably missed 4/10 passes. I don't know if that's what you call manual passing, but its pretty hard work. In a footy game, do you actually want to guage and aim every pass, or do you want a bit of help. What comes naturally to Xabi Alonso and Michael Carrick is a pain in the butt for most players and afterall, although we call them "simulations", these footy games don't really approximate actual football that much as video games, do they?

Yeah, there is a manual passing option in PES6, but as Trace_Allstar has said, it's not actually 360-degrees - meaning that there's times where it's not very accurate, meaning there's no point in using it really (the whole point is for extra control). When I first played FIFA 07 I was made up that so many passes were going astray, because I adapted to it and became quite good at the game. But as you say, perhaps what comes naturally to certain players should be done for you. Hm.

And I agree with your last line especially, but that is what I am most looking for, hence why I'm loving how "manual" FIFA is going (not to mention all of the physics stuff they're implementing, such as the "Reynolds Effect" - whatever the hell that is).

Jack, I like the sound of all that Fifa stuff too. But responsiveness is so important. You must be able to turn, trap and pass in an instant, no lag.

I guess what everyone wants is to be able to play football like that Milan side in 1989, or Liverpool in the late '80s, or Rikaard's Barca (at their peak), and to feel like they have actually earnt it, with their own skill.

Buy FIFA, play it for a whole month before PES appears and then judge for yourself. Wouldnt write FIFA off, too many just assume it will be rubbish because of some of the others.

I doubt he's going to buy something he's pretty sure he won't like. You can tell me over and over that X game is amazing and incredible, but I'm not going to buy it if my views are (and have been for years) that it's not going to be my kind of game. You have to respect that people are entitled to their own opinions, DJ.

Demos are great - especially in the age of broadband. I can download every demo off Xbox Live now and try things I never would have tried before ("skate." has been the first skating game I've ever tried - although to be honest I still think they're boring and ridiculous, but it doesn't always work out like that. I usually hate games like Gears Of War, and the demo won me over completely). Plus, they're free. No need to go and buy something without having any experience of how it plays, which is mental in this day and age in my opinion (especially when they're £40-£50 a throw).

And if they don't produce a demo, well... They can get fucked. Especially in the minds of people who don't like the idea of the game anyway.

Last edited:

JB... I know people are entitled to their own opinions and ive never once said they shouldnt be. I am just saying an easy thing to do is to get both then make a decision based on which one does it best for you.

Sorry mate but the "easiest thing to do" isn't spend £80 and then take one back. The demos for both should be out shortly. If not, you can even rent them.

JB... I know people are entitled to their own opinions and ive never once said they shouldnt be. I am just saying an easy thing to do is to get both then make a decision based on which one does it best for you.

I am actually going to buy Fifa! Despite what I said about PES-in-the-blood, I think Fifa 08 is worth a punt, as long as super Jermaine Pennant is a black man (and not looking like Screech from Saved by the Bell), will be good to see official kits and some nice graphics.

I will start with Liverpool versus Barcelona, and give you my impressions (whether you want them or not!;)

FIFA is winning the battle for me based on reports, videos and general hype at the minute.

I really enjoy playing both titles, so i have no grievance.

As some people have said though, FIFA always wins the hype award, every year. They're very good at that - I haven't downloaded a PES2008 video in almost a month, because every one I see I think "oh my God, that looks awful", and it totally puts me off. PES looks like a video game, FIFA looks like a real match. But Konami are consistent, it's only in the last year that EA have done anything like a decent job with FIFA. I loved UEFA CL, I really did (I'm trying to buy it back actually so I can "complete" it), but with EA you can't be sure whether it's going to be another leap forward or the exact same game.

The reports are good, but I still say (and many back me up) if you didn't like UEFA CL, you won't like FIFA 08.

UEFA CL was a massive step forward for EA Sports. I played the game to death, so hopefully I'll love FIFA 08.

I just got a 36o and have UCL on it - Its so difficult for me after so many years as a Playstation player and PES Player.

I like the speed of the game and the general feel. Setup of the game - Commentary and atmosphere are amazing.

I don't like the sprinting system.

And the reaction times are getting on my wick - but I am staying with it so I get used to it for the new Fifa. I am more excited about Fifa for some reason.

I will still buy PES but Fifa seems to offer so much more from everything I have read - Just hope it is all true.

FIFA is winning the battle for me based on reports, videos and general hype at the minute.

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry bud but this happens every year, then as soon as everyone's played the game it gets slated in the reviews and the people who play it slag it off believing the next version will me miles better.

Regarding Jack's pass assistance question;

Its fairly simple, let people decide, as fifa does, how much assitance you want in the game. I played it for a bit without any assistance but i just couldnt get enough accuracy AND speed to have a decent collection of passes. So i turned up the assistance a bit and that let me have enough control over the aim/power which let me pass it about faster as i didnt have to aim as precise as before.

- in PES different players really do have different skills (and as some previews say they put even more attention to this). On the FIFA games it feels like every player is the same. -

exactly, in the new 08 demo i did some amazing super ronaldinho skill with Rio Ferdinand, mm verry realistic

That's FIFA current-gen. Most people know FIFA current-gen is poor. But the next-gen engine is made by different people, the game is totally different. You can only pull off tricks with talented-enough players. Besides, Rio could actually be capable of doing that in real life - maybe not a lower-league player but certainly one of the Premiership's best players.

I'll have to put "FIFA 08 current-gen and next-gen are TWO DIFFERENT GAMES" in my sig actually, it's frustrating that people don't know they're different (not aimed at you Cristiano). Like the people who still think that Championship Manager is made by the same people and have never heard of Football Manager.

It's a Commodore Vic20 management game :)

1167757489-00.png

(don't confuse the graphics with PES2008 "next gen" hohoho ;))

I'll give a brief summery of what I think of both games:

PES6

+ Perfect ball physics
+ Perfect control/ball and player interaction and physics
+ Great dribbling
+ Fast flowing passing, and long ball passing
+ Great animation
+ Good player likeness and licenced kit likeness
+ Good Editing
+ SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

- Poor shooting, CPU takes control in alot of cases
- Lack of teams, leagues and online modes
- Poor graphics interms of stadia, crowd, textures
- Unlicenced kits look awful
- God awful presentation (commentary, music, menus)

FIFA 07/UEFA CL

+ Perfect shooting (I play around with it in the title screen, it's perfect)
+ Decent amount of teams, leagues and online modes
+ Great graphics (crowd, textures, lighting)
+ Great presentation (music, commentary, menus)

- Awful passing, I appreciate this analogue passing but it's just slow and lathargic
- Awful dribbling, players feel drunk/on drugs, slow and lathargic
- Disjointed animation, animation freeze and set animations ruining the dribbling
- Floaty ball physics
- Useless keepers
- Team mate AI
- Disrespect for kit licences
- God awful player likeness/chimpanzee/bonobo
- IT JUST BORES ME TO ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Last edited:

PES6

+ Perfect ball physics
+ Great dribbling
+ Great animation
+ Good Editing
+ SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

FIFA 07/UEFA CL

- Awful passing, I appreciate this analogue passing but it's just slow and lathargic
- Disjointed animation, animation freeze and set animations ruining the dribbling
- Floaty ball physics
- Useless keepers
- Team mate AI

{|=](*,):freak::rolleyes:

If you swapped a few things around, mainly the "SO MUCH FUN" and "IT JUST BORES ME TO ZZZZZZZZZZZZ" points, I'd almost agree with you. :lol:

PES6

+ Perfect ball physics
+ Great dribbling
+ Great animation
+ Good Editing
+ SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

FIFA 07/UEFA CL

- Floaty ball physics
- Useless keepers
- Team mate AI

I'd have to say I agree with some of that, but not these points:

PES6 -
Good editing? It's got worse in the last year with less choice of colours for logos etc!
Perfect Control/great dribbling? It's ok but not great surely?
Fast flowing passing? It feels like pinball it moves too fast sometimes!
So much fun! - but it hasn't changed for years so it feels tired after a few months now.

FIFA -

Perfect shooting? It's not perfect, but not as random as pes either.
Decent amount of teams? They couldn't find many more teams to put in it now could they? Fair enough 07 was limited but we know 08 will include many more.
Awful passing/dribbling - Don't agree at all.
Bores you to ZZZZ? We can tell that by you comments!

I do think you've hit the nail on the head with a few things though...

useless keepers - not useless, just not a patch on pes
disrespect for kit licenses - why won't EA sort out the keepers kits and the refs too? It's a real shame they don't fix such basic elements.

Back
Top Bottom