PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

Re: PES vs. FIFA - The Thread

The Gameplay is somewhat better, or seemed better, but tbh the animations were awfull, the way the players move feels like 80 yr old grandma running. Dribbling and other Exotic Moves are introduced, okay and it is good to be introduced but the animation during game is not at all graceful.

No doubt they are trying to improve somewhat.

If he is talking about FIFA then I would strongly disagree, if he is talking about PES then I would also strongly disagree. I think both games do a great job with the general animation.

For me, FIFA edges it because the players plant the foot and shift the weight, whereas PES spins slightly on an imaginary axis, albeit a quite realistic one.

I like the slower more deliberate turn , because in real life thats what players do, they dont magically go from 180 degress to 360 by suddenly twisting on a surface, the ball is contolled, the weight is adjusted, the turning movement is made, the weight is re-adjusted and the ball is played (done in a quicker movement obviously)

FIFA does a good job of this.

Seeing as TG is posting it twice, I'll post it twice :p

In all the videos I've seen so far I've been totally impressed with FIFA 08, however, I have to admit in that one the way that their shoulders are moving up and down when they run (as if they're in a car going over a series of bumps) looks terrible... That's the first video of FIFA 08 so far that I've been seriously unhappy with. I could believe that the GK AI is only bad for some goals because of the difficulty level, but there's animation there that doesn't look right at all.

EDIT: I take it back, completely. Was just watching England v Israel, and that's how they move. I must be used to seeing PES, which isn't motion-captured and makes it look like ultra-light robots running on air.

Last edited:

In Fifa the players do not pass the ball realistically, one would have thought that with all EA's motion capturing they would have got this right but after watching the gameplay videos clearly they haven't. In Fifa the players push the ball, In PES they pass it.

This surely has to be the first thing to get right in any football game and Fifa doesn't get it right.

People say you cant try and play PES and Fifa the same way, on one hand that makes sense but on the other hand it makes no sense.

When I play PES I play try to play like they do in real life and I able to do this because the game allows me to.

e.g. I start a game with Roma with the intention to play like they do in real life, this includes a lot of intricate passes, on occasion Totti playing at the top of the diamond but dropping off into an AM role (meaning not playing with a proper CF, Vucinic etc) with Mancini and Taddei bombing on and getting into goal scoring positions. Both FB getting forward on every occasion and De Rossi/Aquilani play centrally and getting forward when they can. In PES6 I can do this, also I can set the team up (tactics etc) and then let the CPU play each other and they will play this way.

Can the same be said for Fifa?

In PES every player feels different.

PES has its faults no doubt like the way the players don't actually make contact with the ball (on last gen anyway). Or how when you play against certain people with no skill they'll just respond by running down the wing and pulling it back. They get away with it because the game allows them to.

And the way you don't actually have 100% control over penalties. A lot of other faults have probably already been mentioned.

PES is the better game IMO.

PS: This is a bit off topic but does anyone else get pissed off when you see PES tournies and everyone just uses the same teams, Brazil, Barca, Chelski etc? I get so annoyed by it, they is nothing wrong with using these teams but what about the other quality teams in the game? It gives me the impression that they are not good PES players because if you were then you good play will with any team.

Hands up if you read all of the above :lol:

Can the same be said for Fifa?
Yes.

There's even a "player runs" button for when the players are stuck in daydream-land and don't get into a decent position for you. That should be in all football games, IMO.

There could be more tactical options though, I grant you. Apparently FIFA 08 has some more tactical bits and bobs.

In PES every player feels different.
I can't argue with you there, but I'm hearing from two different sources (Placebo and my contact) that the same can be said of FIFA 08. And not just different players, but different playing styles for different kinds of teams.

PES has its faults no doubt like the way the players don't actually make contact with the ball (on last gen anyway). Or how when you play against certain people with no skill they'll just respond by running down the wing and pulling it back. They get away with it because the game allows them to.
Don't think I'm a fanboy; FIFA has its faults too. What you describe, "certain people with no skill" winning via an exploit, was possible in FIFA 07 and UEFA CL. All you had to do was pump the ball forward with a long-ball, or an extra-long through-ball, and nine times out of ten it was on a lone forward's foot, ready to score. This has to be fixed for FIFA 08.

PES is the better game IMO.
I can understand why, I'd say it was the most complete, but I much prefer the direction FIFA is going. Full manual control (implemented very well and with on/off options), thirty leagues, tons of competitions, deep management mode. I've been waiting years for those things to appear in PES.

PS: This is a bit off topic but does anyone else get pissed off when you see PES tournies and everyone just uses the same teams, Brazil, Barca, Chelski etc? I get so annoyed by it, they is nothing wrong with using these teams but what about the other quality teams in the game?
Everybody does (apart from the twats themselves). Another reason I'm looking forward to FIFA 08; online leagues with your friends, so that I can be Tranmere, and my mates can be similarly matched teams - or even, I can be Sunderland, they can be West Ham, Portsmouth, Tottenham etc... I can't wait.

Hands up if you read all of the above :lol:
discsec.gif

I'm about to slap that kid in the back of the head. His lipstick is better than mine.

Last edited:

A fair and honest response, this evo web isn't it? :lol:

Regarding the PES tournies thing, it as if one player picks Barca then the other player thinks "oh shit...erm... I'll go Chelski they have a good defence."

Why cant they have confidence and be Roma, Valencia etc...

A fair and honest response, this evo web isn't it? :lol:

Regarding the PES tournies thing, it as if one player picks Barca then the other player thinks "oh shit...erm... I'll go Chelski they have a good defence."

Why cant they have confidence and be Roma, Valencia etc...

Confidence to choose Roma, Valencia huh? I choose Twente no matter what. ;)

Though I prefer FIFA I still play PES a lot but I'm tired of the arcade and most likely I won't play PES2008 that much if it hasn't improved a lot which I find very unlikely. FIFA08 looks amazing and will most likely be my choise for the next year.

Err it helps if you actually clarify which game you're talking about regarding which point?

Was talking about FIFA 08 PC, after playing lot of demo, but the next-gen FIFA 08 is on the contrary very good (looking at game videos.)

Cactuz, you are outta here!

Anyone posting or PM'ing offensive personal attacks on other members will be perma banned.

I personally prefer Fifa to PES (Ps3) for the first time ever. Both are enjoyable but with the pass/shoot assists switched off Fifa really makes you feel like you are in complete control

Yes.

There's even a "player runs" button for when the players are stuck in daydream-land and don't get into a decent position for you. That should be in all football games, IMO.

There could be more tactical options though, I grant you. Apparently FIFA 08 has some more tactical bits and bobs.

I can't argue with you there, but I'm hearing from two different sources (Placebo and my contact) that the same can be said of FIFA 08. And not just different players, but different playing styles for different kinds of teams.

Don't think I'm a fanboy; FIFA has its faults too. What you describe, "certain people with no skill" winning via an exploit, was possible in FIFA 07 and UEFA CL. All you had to do was pump the ball forward with a long-ball, or an extra-long through-ball, and nine times out of ten it was on a lone forward's foot, ready to score. This has to be fixed for FIFA 08.

I can understand why, I'd say it was the most complete, but I much prefer the direction FIFA is going. Full manual control (implemented very well and with on/off options), thirty leagues, tons of competitions, deep management mode. I've been waiting years for those things to appear in PES.

Everybody does (apart from the twats themselves). Another reason I'm looking forward to FIFA 08; online leagues with your friends, so that I can be Tranmere, and my mates can be similarly matched teams - or even, I can be Sunderland, they can be West Ham, Portsmouth, Tottenham etc... I can't wait.

discsec.gif

I'm about to slap that kid in the back of the head. His lipstick is better than mine.
jack i concure that is a very fair and honest posting, cheers mate

Cactuz, you are outta here!

Anyone posting or PM'ing offensive personal attacks on other members will be perma banned.

Way to go, Mr Inconsistency. Go take a look at the WE/PES next-gen thread, full of personal attacks against anyone daring to criticise the worth of that worthless game, yet they remain unbanned.

:applause:

I personally prefer Fifa to PES (Ps3) for the first time ever. Both are enjoyable but with the pass/shoot assists switched off Fifa really makes you feel like you are in complete control

Have you played them both?

I think what JayD is getting at, is that there's no next-gen FIFA available for PS3 yet...

I thought there was? Weren't all the trick videos and stuff from the PS3 version, as they said something about its the first next gen football game for the PS3?

Yeah but it's not out yet, until September 28th, so how can he have played them, unless he's been to a game show or something? That's his point.

Yeah thats what I think he has done, I remember seeing his name before, he has played it somewhere, be it a game convention or beta demo or what not :D Thats whay I meant I think he has :D

So what happens to us (rejects) with PS3's, with regards to leagues we'll be setting up here then seraphs21?, maybe we can set up a different league for both consoles? or maybe we can put up a poll to have an indication/idea on how many on here are getting it on the ps3, so we can get a vague estimate on how many will presumably sign up for the leagues..if it'll work at all..etc.?.. i kinda liked the way it was all set up and well organised last year even though there were a couple not playing games (well more than a couple), but the avatars, the league table, win/loss stats (%) etc were all very well done, it actually made me go try out 07 (on the 360 pods) with initial intentions to buy it if it was any good, just to get involved with the league , but i just din't get a hang of the 360 controller, felt akwardly horrible, and just threw me off it totally, to me it felt like peeling an orange with my feet (and thats me being modest), so i got the ps2 version instead sadly... so there's just no way i'm getting this or any footy game on the 360, which means i wont get the chance to pawn Jay online ;) ..lol..... but i dont think there are a lot of peeps on here grtting this on the ps3 judging by 90% of the gamertags i'v come across (looking through the thread) but thats got to change, because i'm off to the PES2008 thread to commence a converting session, wish me luck :mrgreen:...

EDIT: oh s**t... *wears bullet proof vest*

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom