Road to World Cup 2010

From memory ( I may be wrong) but did it not matter in that game either way as Ireland would still have finished second and Georgia would still have finished last.
As I said I could be wrong but there would have been absolutely no point in replaying that match...

You're right (even if this result could had change the others Ireland games) BUT a big part of this topic is about the lack of fair play of France & T.Henry.

So, if i understand right what Nick Cave say, it s more about anger/hate than fair play?

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20091120_153005_ferguson-soutient-m-hansson.html

Ferguson supports Mr. Hansson

Martin Hansson, referee at the center of controversy after the game between France and Ireland, has received unexpected support from the coach of Manchester United, Alex Ferguson. "The referee could not see the hand of Henry. The referee gave a fantastic match, it was a wonderful performance. But this leads to the question of technology. Until FIFA change my mind, there is nothing to do. There they had to convince, "said the Scot. This is not bother to ask his opinion every player or coach in the land. You get the same answer, which is that technology can play a role, it can help referees'

Last edited:
So cheat on Georgia is ok? that's your words?

"truth, honesty, courage"

If you want to put words in my mouth, fine...

I pointed out that no one blatantly cheated in that game, the ref called it as he saw it, the same as the France game, I assume...

The whole issue is Henry cheated, as clear as day and admitted to it, eventually.
Ireland requested a replay as did many people but unless France insist to FIFA it be replayed, it will not be replayed.

In my opinion the Georgia game has little or no relevance in this case...

Roy Keane intentionally crippled a player, does that also mean Ireland can't ask for a replay?... :ROLL:

You're right (even if this result could had change the others Ireland games) BUT a big part of this topic is about the lack of fair play of France & T.Henry.

And I'm not arguing against fair play, I'm making a statement of fact, the same way Ireland arguing about the so called precedent being set is wrong too, that was a technical error in the game by the referee, this was not seen by the referee so has no relevance...

Last edited:
In my opinion the Georgia game has little or no relevance in this case...

Why? what's the problem? explain

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20091120_153005_ferguson-soutient-m-hansson.html

Ferguson supports Mr. Hansson

Martin Hansson, referee at the center of controversy after the game between France and Ireland, has received unexpected support from the coach of Manchester United, Alex Ferguson. "The referee could not see the hand of Henry. The referee gave a fantastic match, it was a wonderful performance. But this leads to the question of technology. Until FIFA change my mind, there is nothing to do. There they had to convince, "said the Scot. This is not bother to ask his opinion every player or coach in the land. You get the same answer, which is that technology can play a role, it can help referees'

Why? what's the problem? explain

Gladly..
The Georgia game has no bearing on the France game, The referee made a call on what he saw, apart from an Ireland player raising his hand for whatever reason right or wrong...

The France game was exactly the same, except Thierry handled the ball clear as day and later admitted it, also it meant Ireland were out of the world cup, though that is not the point either...

I'm not stating anyone is right or wrong...

And I'm not arguing against fair play, I'm making a statement of fact, the same way Ireland arguing about the so called precedent being set is wrong too, that was a technical error in the game by the referee, this was not seen by the referee so has no relevance...

FAIR PLAY 4 GEORGIA !!!

so it's a conspiracy now?

roswell-topper.jpg

Georgia game / French game = referee made a mistake = the same

Last edited:
:SHOCK: Are you on wind up, do you not understand what I'm writing, I'm not saying Georgia weren't hard done by, in the same way I'm not saying Ireland weren't either.

They are two very different cases that have little or no relevance to each other...

because?
why this is so different?
Say the true, like Roy Keane!!!

http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/95197/roy-keane-en-veut-plus-aux-irlandais-qu-a-henry/
Roy Keane regrets the complaints of his countrymen after their elimination from the World 2010 by France.

Last edited:
Can't remember an incident in recent memory that sparked such a backlash like this.

Henry says he's not a cheat but I remember him diving against Spain at the last WC.

But this incident looks more unfortunate than premeditary.

And has UEFA or FIFA had any say on this yet?

I'm actually confused on where my opinion stands on this whole issue. :P

Edmundo, i think you misunderstood me, or i expressed myself clumsily...
I am somebody who has a tendency to support the underdog...for example, for some stupid reason i don't like the national team of Brazil...because they always win...
But.

All the people want to see the stars at the WC...remember the reactions after the 2002 WC where a lot of big teams went out early and where teams like Turkey and South-Korea played the semi-finals (and where my country, Belgium, should have beaten Brazil if not for a referee mistake). Everybody was disappointed of this WC (i loved it).

Fact is that people, sponsors and FIFA want big stars to play in the WC: Henry " cheated" (i don't agree), Messi had a hand of god, Ronaldo constantly dives,

Can you imagine a WC without Henry, Ronaldo and Messi ?
Imagine players like Eto'o, Essien could not participate in the first African WC.

That is not realistic.

I am against diving, "cheating"...but let's be honest...and realistic.

It's a shame that Ireland can't participate, but as a neutral i prefer watching France.

In 2002 Belgium could have won against Brazil...but 99% of the neutrals prefer watching Brazil.

PS: i still think Henry is not a cheat...he's a fair player who what a wrong reaction or reflex and he's embarassed now. Nothing worse.

Can't remember an incident in recent memory that sparked such a backlash like this.

Henry says he's not a cheat but I remember him diving against Spain at the last WC.

But this incident looks more unfortunate than premeditary.

And has UEFA or FIFA had any say on this yet?

I'm actually confused on where my opinion stands on this whole issue. :P

FIFA have said there will be no replay...

The Referee did not see the incident so the game stands, no error was made in the game as far as the rules stand, the fact he handled the ball means nothing apart from he cheated and everyone saw it, bar the officials.

He could have picked it up and thrown it in the net it would still be the same... :P

Because what?

why this is so different?

I have explained that several times now, I don't know how else I can put it or simplify it...

Say the true, like Roy Keane!!!

I'm still not sure what Roy Keane has to do with this :CONFUSE:, the guy was a decent footballer, with a bad attitude and slight god complex, he also seems to be a poor manager.
My feelings for the man are immaterial and I can't say I care one way or the other to be honest...

All the people want to see the stars at the WC...remember the reactions after the 2002 WC where a lot of big teams went out early and where teams like Turkey and South-Korea played the semi-finals (and where my country, Belgium, should have beaten Brazil if not for a referee mistake). Everybody was disappointed of this WC (i loved it).
Spain and Italy were robbed in 2002.

Some of the refereeing decisions South Korea got their way were bordering on stupidity.

Turkey were unlucky though, weren't they leading Brazil 1-0 before Rivaldo's famous play-acting?

I'm still not sure what Roy Keane has to do with this :CONFUSE:, the guy was a decent footballer, with a bad attitude and slight god complex, he also seems to be a poor manager.
My feelings for the man are immaterial and I can't say I care one way or the other to be honest...
He's on about Keane's reaction to this incident.

I have explained that several times now, I don't know how else I can put it or simplify it...

you explained nothing, you just say that Georgia doesn't deserve a re-match, because it's Georgia and nobody care...

the guy was a decent footballer, with a bad attitude and slight god complex, he also seems to be a poor manager.

HATE

again:
The former captain of Manchester United and the Irish selection no longer supports the complaints of his countrymen. "Ireland has had its opportunities in the two matches and has never taken. But it's the usual reaction of the FAI:''We were robbed, we was robbed'' 'tackle the current coach of Ipswich Town.

"I am more annoyed by my supporters and my guardian by Thierry Henry. How can we let a ball bounce within 6 meters? How can a defender can be left Thierry Henry interposed between him and the goal? If the ball is in the six meters, where the devil is my keeper? "Says one who had slammed the door of his selection a few days of the 2002 World Cup.

In addition, Keane believes that the Irish Congress should put its own house before seeking to replay the match against France. "I remember one game against Georgia, when Ireland won a penalty on one of the worst decisions ever changed the course of a match. I do not remember hearing the ISP asking the match be replayed, "tackles the old defensive midfielder.

He say the true.

:D Man, I wish my written French was not worse than my spoken French which is bad enough... :LOL:

still no argument...

Last edited:
you explained nothing, you just say that Georgia doesn't deserve a re-match, because it's Georgia and nobody care...

That's about the only thing I NEVER said...

HATE

again:
The former captain of Manchester United and the Irish selection no longer supports the complaints of his countrymen. "Ireland has had its opportunities in the two matches and has never taken. But it's the usual reaction of the FAI:''We were robbed, we was robbed'' 'tackle the current coach of Ipswich Town.

"I am more annoyed by my supporters and my guardian by Thierry Henry. How can we let a ball bounce within 6 meters? How can a defender can be left Thierry Henry interposed between him and the goal? If the ball is in the six meters, where the devil is my keeper? "Says one who had slammed the door of his selection a few days of the 2002 World Cup.

In addition, Keane believes that the Irish Congress should put its own house before seeking to replay the match against France. "I remember one game against Georgia, when Ireland won a penalty on one of the worst decisions ever changed the course of a match. I do not remember hearing the ISP asking the match be replayed, "tackles the old defensive midfielder.

He say the true.

Why the HATE comment, and what are you trying to say about Keane, he's not asking for a replay, he's happy with the result?...

If his second hand movement was not deliberate then I must be Father Christmas.

As for Keane he was a model of fair play. Sad to see he is still so bitter.

Gerd it's not a matter of who we prefer to watch playing at the WC. It should be about fair qualification.

Argentina under the clown Maradona could have failed to qualify and it would hurt me greatly but that's the rules of the qualification.

Ireland were cheated out of it and France being at the WC cast's a taint over the whole tournament and the motto 'FIFA Fair Play'.

As for Henry his baldfaced shamelessness trying to say I'm not a cheat is staggering. As is his PR motivated backtracking in the press.

Nice to see FIFA.com and uefa.com match reports expunging the incident as if nothing untoward had happened. Pravdaesque.

Bloater and Pratini are shameless and FIFA has long been a body riddled with corruption,take Havelange for instance.

The number of decisions that went for Brazil against Belgium in that game were incredible.

And we all know what happened 2002. The referee was found to be 'bent'.

What a sad state the game has sunk too. As I said the number of players who play by the rules can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Gerd it's not a matter of who we prefer to watch playing at the WC. It should be about fair qualification.

The number of decisions that went for Brazil against Belgium in that game were incredible.

I agree with those things.

It is a matter of fair qualification, but (to take your example about Belgium), we oin Belgium (and most Argentinians) were gutted that something unfair happened, but the rest of the wordl was happy that Brazil was stil in the tournament.

Let's suppose that the 4 semi-finalists in South-Africa would be: Australia, Slovenia, Greece and Algeria....90% of the football fans around the world would be disappointed...

Brazil - England would be a dream final.

Barcelona - Man Utd was the dream final for the CL, while i was over the moon when Porto and monaco played that final a couple of years before...

The thing is commercially Porto - Monaco was a catastrophe....FIFA and UEFA want big clubs as long as possible in competitions. I don't agree, it's not fair, but that is a fact...

Calm down brunnonce, i repeat R.Keane do 4 hands during this game, Henry says do Dunn at the end of the game "I cheat"

Maradona, Messi, Aguero and Vata out OM for Coupe des clubs Champions few years ago with hand goal too.
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/football/blog/footito/article/3037/

376,http%3A%2F%2Fa323.yahoofs.com%2Fymg%2Ffootito_fr%2Ffootito_fr-842377932-1258639687.jpg%3FymIVuOCDaox4GpGU

Thomas i saw a post macth interview where he said he would say sorry because he didnt do it on porpouse(where is clear that he did , he evan looks at the ball and gives it a second touch)! and now he is trieng to come clean on this because FIFA already said there no chance of a remacth or anything like that...

To tell u the truth i was not pro on a remacth.. imo this is football shit happens. but the part that made me mad was how henry made that move in porpouse and denied it after the game.

anyway, imo ireland lost the qualification becasue of missing 2 clear goal chances...

Last edited:
Bloater and Pratini are shameless and FIFA has long been a body riddled with corruption,take Havelange for instance.

As if Argentina never has an "outside" help huh?

1978 rings any bells?

Im not proud of that win agasint Belgium and most people here were schoked too.

Did I say that Argentina had not ?

There was a penalty against France in the group game. But FIFA set the rules on Argentina starting their group B game after Brazil when you should have scored more past Poland instead of hitting the woodwork.

What about Codesal allowing Klinsmann's dive to result in a penalty in 1990 ?

How did S.Korea get so deep into their home tournament ?

Havelange himself said the WC was fixed in '66 and '74 to ensure the home team went on to win the Cup for example the nonsensical sending off of Rattin in the QF in 66.

This is the problem as I said with most football fans. They are hypocrites.

If it goes for your team,who cares. But when the boot is on the other foot , there is a huge beating of the chest.

New retrospective punishment for all teams, and video technology is a must to clean up the game.

If players knew a big stick was coming when they cheated or it would be pointless to try to fool the officials knowing they had recourse to video technology then the game could start to be cleaned up.

Wenger for instance asking for a replay but quite happy to be oblivious to the fact his own players such as Pires, Eduardo for instance were quite happy to cheat as it benefitted his team.

Managers as a consequence also need to be included in the punishent as I expect many do encourage their players not to be scrupulously fair.

And now this match fixing scandal admittedly in second tier football....

Back
Top Bottom