Road to World Cup 2010

You'll find plenty of Argentines outside of his church who see him as an embarrasment to the country.

We'd rather haveSorin,Zanetti,Redondo, Ginobli, Pichot as role models thanks.

Now u got my support! :D

There u have my favorite player ever, not specially because of his skill but for his personallity and atittude. I think more players should look up at players like that... If players of nowdays had 10% dignity as Sorin had/have the football world would be a lot better.

Henry is a cheater (and liar) along with many other footballers.

What is crucial in this ,is he has cheated a whole nation.

All of this could have been avoided if fools like Bloater and Pratini had taken the advice to implement technological aids for referees three years ago.

I agree about that Henry proved himself as a cheater to me.. and by no means im saying he is the only one, there are many many other players like that, problaby most...

IMHO he lost A GREAT oportunity to get remembered as a honest person, imagine if he came to the referee and said: "hey i handed the ball" ... i know this is a "dream land" kind of thiking but imo this was a good oportunity to show honesty and how people should behave in the day to day basis, afterwall players are rolemodels.

I think at least the behind the goal referees that are used on Europa League should already been implemented in these playoff macthes and also on the WC... i think they would have spoted that hand ball.

Evra : «Titi est déçu»

Coéquipier de Thierry Henry en équipe de France, Patrice Evra a parlé jeudi à son capitaine et rapporte à L'Equipe de samedi que «Titi est déçu» par les réactions suscitées dans l'Hexagone par sa main lors de France - Irlande, mercredi (1-1 a.p.). «Qu'on l'attaque en France, c'est dur», traduit le latéral gauche, qui rejette l'idée qu'Henry pourrait mettre un terme à sa carrière : «Ça, c'est n'importe quoi. Titi est déjà prêt pour l'Afrique du Sud. Le gars a mal car son peuple l'attaque mais il est solide. Il a déjà la tête en Afrique du Sud. Dans quelques jours, on sera passé à autre chose.»

Google translation :

Evra: "Titi is disappointed"

Teammate Thierry Henry in the France team, Patrice Evra spoke Thursday at his master and to the team on Saturday that "Tweety is disappointed" by the reactions in France by his hand in France - Ireland, Wednesday ( 1-1 aet). "Whether the attack in France, it's hard," reflects the left side, which rejects the idea that Henry could end his career: "That's everything. Titi is ready for South Africa. The guy was wrong for his people but the attack is solid. He has his head in South Africa. In a few days it will be passed on. "

i can't wait for youtube video "Leave Henry alone"

There's no one else on here and I'm bored. I was hoping he would at least believe his own eyes but alas it was to no avail... ;)

Just sweep it under the carpet like FIFA wants ?

Sorry my comment was aimed solely at Hubneo and his wittering rubbish, not at you Nick.

I'm not saying the discussion should end just listening to him argue nothing round and round and throwing the race card out there when it's irrelevant is pointless.

Brazilian players of course are a model of fair play too. Rivaldo in 2002 ? Offside goals against Holland in 1994 ? :THINK:

WTF have this thread become? A way to dug up old stuff and bash nations? I've seen people bashing grandparents, races and nations wtf!?!?

Seriously what does that have to do with what beboq said? He didn't even mention Brazil.

I wish somebody dropped an anchor and sink this thread.

We all know footballers will do whatever it takes to win this days, football become a dirty business and players like Sorin are in extinction.
No matter what nation, most of players are not fair play models, they think there is too much in stake, and if think about it, there is.

WTF have this thread become? A way to dug up old stuff and bash nations? I've seen people bashing grandparents, races and nations wtf!?!?

Seriously what does that have to do with what beboq said? He didn't even mention Brazil.

I wish somebody dropped an anchor and sink this thread.

We all know footballers will do whatever it takes to win this days, football become a dirty business and players like Sorin are in extinction.
No matter what nation, most of players are not fair play models, they think there is too much in stake, and if think about it, there is.

Sauce, they just cant forget about us.... for them it aways comes down to: Brazil! :D

Sorry my comment was aimed solely at Hubneo and his wittering rubbish, not at you Nick.

I'm not saying the discussion should end just listening to him argue nothing round and round and throwing the race card out there when it's irrelevant is pointless.

Shame on you fish!!!

OK guys. If this gets more personal than the current situation, I'm going to have to suspend this discussion so this thread remains as a WC discussion thread. Clearly there is a difference of opinion that won't change, so try to keep it civilized and not an opportunity to bash players/nations!

Bottom line is Henry does not play this game fair. Players like him ruin the beautiful game. Henry you've lost a lot of respect :COAT:

edmundo, we are having a surreal discussion...because i actually agree with you, that if those underdogs win fair and square i would be happy for them (for any underdog).

Where we disagree is the fact that i think most people (i used the 90% as an image, not literally) don't like the fact that the stars get eliminated... I don't want to sound pretentious, but look at this forum. How many English football fans are fans of clubs outside te big four do you think...
I once started a premier league thread where people could discuss about English football without having to go to these awfull club threads...it is barely used. Now and then this thread resurfaces but only very occasionally...

I respect you a lot as a person, i hope your not exasperated by our discussion.

PS: off-topic, perhaps a mod should sticky that thread...

PPS: After all what is said about Henry, right at this moment i hope France can win thje world cup. In june i will suport some african country, but right now i really hope France can win and that Henry may win the golden boot. I was never a particular fan of him, but i sure he basically is a fair player.

Last edited:
Remember the days when clubs ran the game, players earned a decent wage and played for the side they always loved as a kid if they were lucky...

Ah, brought a smile to my face.

Supporters like me live by and for a gesture of love once in a while, a rejection of money to continue playing for the club you love, a Larsson refusing to celebrate his goal against Celtic, Etxeberria playing for free at Bilbao, Di Canio not scoring because of fair-play or returning to Lazio to play almost for free because the club had serious money problems.

Overall Henry is a model :) - but because of this he will not be one in the list i mention 10 years from now when we'll have another argument about fair-play. As brunnonce said, he could have become "Legend" that night. Apparently his reflexes told him going to his last WC was more worth it. Prolly is..

When I brought up Rivaldo it is not having a go at Brazil. I dislike the way di Maria rolls around on the pitch for instance. It just underlines the fact that all of us are culpable to an extent as fans , right through to managers and the players.

When it's for us it's alright , when it isn't we'll scream blue murder.

Sadly football today has become win at all costs because of the monies involved.

m7m_teddy bring up all these examples but they are becoming rarer and rarer. It's a bit off topic but a players loyalty is now usually to his bank balance .

I doubt any player would renounce his salary like Redondo did at AC Milan.

Brunnoce re Sorin he was an excellent wingback though never the same after 2006. But what is worthy is his work to help better the lives of underprivileged kids as well as being an educated man a poet and philosopher.

Unlike hypocrites such as Maradona who prefer big empty gestures.

There are plenty of decent footballers out there but more and more seem so out of touch with reality nowadays.

There's a saying in English 'cheats never prosper' but in the sphere of football it seems otherwise.

Maybe we will have to wait for a truly catastrophic 'error' in a World Cup, though Spain and Italy in 2002 can already claim to be victims of that or a new generation of administrators who do not live in the past and are more amenable to the idea of technological aids for the referee and his assistants.

Last edited:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20091121_144856_la-federation-s-avoue-vaincue.html

The FAI admits defeat

The Irish Federation acknowledged Saturday in a statement posted on its Web site have failed in his attempt to replay the playoff against France after the controversial hand Thierry Henry (1-1 aet, Wednesday). On Friday, the FAI announced its intention to maintain his complaint despite the end of inadmissibility that he had officially opposed FIFA. A little later, the FFF had argued that the decision of the FIFA "(was) authority and (needed) to the two federations.

it was just about the result?

it was just about the result?

It was about football and according to the FIFA rules the fact Henry handled the ball was immaterial, if the referee saw it he would have disallowed the goal and possibly booked him but I doubt it, and that would have been it, he didn't so that's it.

There is no rule for retrospective justice or act's against fair play I'm afraid, until they change the rules and laws of the game this could/will happen again and again...

Last edited:
It was about football and according to the FIFA rules the fact Henry handled the ball was immaterial, if the referee saw it he would have disallowed the goal and possibly booked him but I doubt it, and that would have been it, he didn't so that's it.

There is no rule for retrospective justice or act's against fair play I'm afraid, until they change the rules and laws of the game this could/will happen again and again...

Well, actually, and no one remembers this, there has been a replay in FIFA World Cup qualification before, but under slightly different circumstances. For the last world cup, Bahrain and Uzbekistan played each other for the right to face Trinidad and Tobago and it's safe to say murky dealings were afoot. The Uzbeks won the first leg 1-0, but during the match the ref made a big blunder. He correctly gave the Uzbeks a penalty, but an Uzbek player encroached as/before it was taken (and scored), and then the ref made a catastrophic error - he awarded an indirect free kick to the Bahrainis, when legally he should have ordered a re-take of the penalty. The Uzbek players pointed this out to him at the time, but he ignored them, so they pointed it out at the end of the game. The whole situation escalated and FIFA decided to replay the whole match (also delaying the second leg). Bahrain drew the replay in Tashkent 1-1, and then in Bahrain it was 0-0, so they (Bahrain) went through.

It ended up looking like the most spectacular fudge and it's hard not feel for the Uzbeks who were cheated out of a 1-0 (and pretty much 2-0) lead. And the right to face Trinidad and Tobago for the last berth in the World Cup.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

Well, actually, and no one remembers this, there has been a replay in FIFA World Cup qualification before, but under slightly different circumstances. For the last world cup, Bahrain and Uzbekistan played each other for the right to face Trinidad and Tobago and it's safe to say murky dealings were afoot. The Uzbeks won the first leg 1-0, but during the match the ref made a big blunder. He correctly gave the Uzbeks a penalty, but an Uzbek player encroached as/before it was taken (and scored), and then the ref made a catastrophic error - he awarded an indirect free kick to the Bahrainis, when legally he should have ordered a re-take of the penalty. The Uzbek players pointed this out to him at the time, but he ignored them, so they pointed it out at the end of the game. The whole situation escalated and FIFA decided to replay the whole match (also delaying the second leg). Bahrain drew the replay in Tashkent 1-1, and then in Bahrain it was 0-0, so they (Bahrain) went through.

It ended up looking like the most spectacular fudge and it's hard not feel for the Uzbeks who were cheated out of a 1-0 (and pretty much 2-0) lead. And the right to face Trinidad and Tobago for the last berth in the World Cup.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

Yes, the difference there was a technical error by the referee, unfortunately a blind referee and assistant referee are not a technical error... :D

Last edited:
f947c51f88.jpg

Back
Top Bottom