Road to World Cup 2010

Getting better

"It's okay, it's getting better you could say, I'm beginning to digest it a bit better," he told RTL.

"The first handball honestly was like an awakening. With the first handball, I didn't even know that it touched me, it's after that I had a bad reflex, on the second. I swear I don't even know the first touched my hand.

"I have had many calls from players, coaches, people I had lost touch with, who have supported me who have told me that all this really didn't matter, that this had all gone too far and that I was totally in tune with them.

"But people who should have come forward to defend me and perhaps smooth over what is happening in France and especially smooth over what is happening in England, well I did not see anyone.

"You know when you think that you will be supported... but there was no support and honestly that really shocked me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5714635,00.html

Getting better

"It's okay, it's getting better you could say, I'm beginning to digest it a bit better," he told RTL.

"The first handball honestly was like an awakening. With the first handball, I didn't even know that it touched me, it's after that I had a bad reflex, on the second. I swear I don't even know the first touched my hand.

"I have had many calls from players, coaches, people I had lost touch with, who have supported me who have told me that all this really didn't matter, that this had all gone too far and that I was totally in tune with them.

"But people who should have come forward to defend me and perhaps smooth over what is happening in France and especially smooth over what is happening in England, well I did not see anyone.

"You know when you think that you will be supported... but there was no support and honestly that really shocked me."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5714635,00.html

he's still a cheating bastard:R1

why is he playing the "victim" card ? He plays football for 20 years im sure by this time he should know his hands from his feet "bad reflex" and all. I just think hes a cheat and would do it again if he had a chance, let's face it he's days are over.

i was thinking yesterday... trapattoni got kicked out of world cup 2002 by a corrupt ref (with italy), got kicked out of euro 2004 by that fixed 2-2 between denmark and sweden (always with italy), and now he missed his big chance to reach the world cup with ireland coz of a foul.....
talking about bad breaks :CONFUSE:

get rid of your famous holy water bottle, trap! it doesn't work at all! :P

First of all, I'm English, so seeing Ireland go out was pretty hilarious, given all the years that England have been taunted by those plucky Irish folk; 'hand of god', cheering the opposition to England etc etc
All in good nature, of course.
So as you see, if you believe me, I'm not bias for Ireland :)

What henry done was bang out of order - obviously.
Henry has always been a very calculated individual. He likes to play himself up as this role model figure. A real sportsman - a man's man.
Occasionally, the mask slips and we see the character within.

The thing that bothers me with Henry, is not so much that he cheated - we all know he's a cunt for doing that - but it's the way he carries on like some self-righteous noble man afterwards.
Sitting down next to Dunne, like some pal... who does he think he is?

Saying afterwards that he 'wants the game to be replayed', because it was unfair to Ireland etc.
Saying he felt so bad and knows it was so wrong.
Again, playing up this honest noble character.

It's easy to do that when you know damn well that the game will not be replayed.
Why didn't you own up at the time... you know, when you were running around the pitch celebrating the goal.
Why didn't you instantly stop and tell the ref you handled the ball if you felt that bad?

I know why. Because he doesn't actually give a shit about Ireland and is only saying these things afterwards because of the attention, as he cannot stand the media and fans depicting him as anything other than this noble, honest man that he has built up for himself.
I've seen the mask slip a fair few times.

All it takes is a few glimpses of people's nature to see who they really are.

All I have to say is, as an Irishman who went to both the game in Dublin and the game in Paris, it was pretty sickening. If you are beaten by a better team then fine, but what Henry did - I mean did he really have to do it? Henry has already won the world cup, and he's now been to the world cups at 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010. What about a player like St. Ledger who has never even played in the Premier League or Keith Andrews, who has never played European (Club) football. The French will qualify for a world cup almost every time, whereas us Irish can only dream about it every decade.

If the French had beaten us fairly over the 2 legs then that would be one thing, but for them to win in such a manner is hard to take. If they had held out for the 0-1 and penalties they probably would have won anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGfyV_mgUk

Completely agree with Steevio. I'm amazed people have been taken in by his acting over the years.

Zidane was the real star. Without him France have withered much as when Platini left that midfield of Giresse andTigana.

The greatest irony would be if the French do get knocked out of the WC by a moment of cheating. Delicious irony to most.

Yes Henry add alot but Puyol do a big obstruction, Henry try to turn arount Puyol and puyol run on the left for block Henry and never play the ball.

It's very funny this propagand agaisnt Henry...

Come on ALBICELESTE2010, Argentina win a WC with the hand of god.

1 - Maradona
2 - Aguero
3 - Messi
4 - Raul (a true cheater, all now that)
5 - Henry (Henry never score with hand goal)

Hand goals top 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzfxCYwSMw

Last edited:
Albi celeste, i have seen performing the magnificent France midfield of the '80's.
I can assure you that Giresse, Tigana, Fernandez and Platini where each of them as important as the other...Platini was the star because he scored quite a lot...but surround Platini with 3 other players and that midfield (and Platini) would have collapsed totally.

I can't understand all the fuss about Henry and France....i'm hoping more and more that France wins the World Cup...

I understand that the Irish people are disappointed, but if France play a brilliant World Cup the rest of the world will have forgotten what happened.

Take the magnificent Holland team in 1974...one of the most brilliant teams ever seen in the World Cup...who still remembers that they only could perform in that World Cup because of a blatant referee mistake. Otherwise Belgium would have participated. Who outside Belgium (and maybe Holland) still knows that....and with hindsight it was a blessing that that referee made a mistake...otherwise the world would never have seen one the most brilliant teams in the history of football...

There are a fair few people in Argentina who found the way Maradona claimed that goal despicable.

It was a cheat. I'm not proud of it. I'm disappointed by the way some of our players roll around on the grass trying to mow it and Messi should not have done what he did against Villareal.

But no Argentina supporters unless they are in the church of Maradona deny it.

But the fact is there is no need to be so defensive of Henry. Yes it was a shoulder block but there is no need to clutch his face (indeed many footballers seem to have a strange idea of human anatomy :)).

Indeed large sections of the French press and populace know him to be a cheat and would have liked a replay and fair play to the, but with a pathetic ruling body(FIFA/UEFA) and manager (Domenech) what can one do.

It would be nice to see the FFF drop him but I doubt it.

Gerd I was too young to watch them live as it were and can just about remember the '86 edition (magnificent QF against Brazil) but my father had aN early VT recorder (rather chunky and clunky) from which I've watched old tapes now transferred to DVD.

It was a superb midfield (sorry I forgot Fernandez ;) ) so fluid and artistic. Perhaps you'right but Platini was a talismanic figure for the team to rally round.

No one in the current French team fills this role perhaps Ribery and maybe more likely as that central midfield general ,Gourcuff can grow into this role.

van Persie is out for five months for all followers of the Oranje just in time to be match fit and fresh for the WC.

i agree ALBICELESTE2010, but why add again agaisnt Henry, i think it's enough now, all people forget but Robby Keane do 4 hands ball and want replay the game, it's fair play ? All players make a mistakes like that, the referee don't see it, that all.

PS: Aimé Jacquet speak about Domenech yesterday and says four years it's enough, need leave.
But i think it's too late now, Jacquet need saus that after Euro 2008.

First of all, I'm English, so seeing Ireland go out was pretty hilarious, given all the years that England have been taunted by those plucky Irish folk; 'hand of god', cheering the opposition to England etc etc
All in good nature, of course.
So as you see, if you believe me, I'm not bias for Ireland :)

What henry done was bang out of order - obviously.
Henry has always been a very calculated individual. He likes to play himself up as this role model figure. A real sportsman - a man's man.
Occasionally, the mask slips and we see the character within.

The thing that bothers me with Henry, is not so much that he cheated - we all know he's a cunt for doing that - but it's the way he carries on like some self-righteous noble man afterwards.
Sitting down next to Dunne, like some pal... who does he think he is?

Saying afterwards that he 'wants the game to be replayed', because it was unfair to Ireland etc.
Saying he felt so bad and knows it was so wrong.
Again, playing up this honest noble character.

It's easy to do that when you know damn well that the game will not be replayed.
Why didn't you own up at the time... you know, when you were running around the pitch celebrating the goal.
Why didn't you instantly stop and tell the ref you handled the ball if you felt that bad?

I know why. Because he doesn't actually give a shit about Ireland and is only saying these things afterwards because of the attention, as he cannot stand the media and fans depicting him as anything other than this noble, honest man that he has built up for himself.
I've seen the mask slip a fair few times.

All it takes is a few glimpses of people's nature to see who they really are.

Well said m8.. those are exactly my feelings too.

Pot 1 - South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain.

Pot 2 - Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3 - Algeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4 - Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland

I hope France lands on South Africa's Group.. that would make more fair imo... I dont agree with the hosts getting an automtic first seed spot... imo it should all come down to Ranking and History, wich South Africa in this aspect lacks both.

Charlize draws Ireland for 2010 Cup

2009/12/03
OSCAR award-winning South African actress Charlize Theron, 34, put up another good performance when she pulled “Ireland” during a rehearsal for the World Cup draw.
The actress was pulling Fifa’s leg over Ireland’s failed bid to become the 33rd team at the 32-nation Cup.
Ireland had asked to be allowed to participate after being ousted in the play-offs by France, which clinched its place with a goal from striker William Gallas after captain Thierry Henry had handled the ball.
Theron, who will co-host Friday’s draw with Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke, pulled the “Ireland” ball out of the bowl instead of France.
“Yes, she did, but it was only a joke,” Valcke told reporters.
Friday’s draw will determine which teams will meet each other in the first round of the World Cup

http://www.dispatch.co.za/article.aspx?id=364241

Funny joke to FIFA boys. I love you Charlize. Well done. I hope you do it again tomorrow. :LOL:

Last edited:
FRANCE got they luck (again)

KAKA will face RONALDO and DROGBA in group G

and GERMANY face SERBIA in group D

"easy" group for ITALY, ENGLAND and SPAIN

Last edited:
I can see Portugal not making it put of their group.

Spain must be careful, Chile can be the surprise in the WC, I think Chile will defeat to Honduras and Switzerland, and we will quialified to the next round playing with Spian, but I don't like being the 2º, cause is Brazil in Group G

Spain must be careful, Chile can be the surprise in the WC, I think Chile will defeat to Honduras and Switzerland, and we will quialified to the next round playing with Spian, but I don't like being the 2º, cause is Brazil in Group G

Maybe Brazil won't be first cause is a tough group, but I hope Brazil and Cote d'Ivoire to go trough.
Bad luck for Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire this wc should have an African surprise.
To be honest most groups are tough and wc is the players and team moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom