Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread

It's in May mate, just over a month away. IGN has a countdown timer to it.

Isn't this what we've been discussing? The 700 euro price tag was used as an example if you wanted to buy a game too, and whatever else, which would be about right

im aiming for about 700e for november (extra controller and pes6 with a bit of luck)
The 499e price sounds about right compared to the xbox360. add in 1 game, 1 controller and mayby an extra memorystick and your quickly near the 700euro's

console = 499e/599e
game = 60e?
gamepad = 50e?

Theres no way I'm paying any more than 500 euros. Considering that all the good games probably wont be launch titles, I'll need to pay for its own online suscription, will need another pad, graphics wont be significantly better than X360, and God knows what other stuff we'll have to buy to make the most of the hardware that you have.
Maybe if this console came out before the X360, then people would have bought it even if it cost an extra £100 more than the X360 did. But now, how are they gonna convince gamers who already have a X360, already have experienced next gen gaming and already enjoyed Xbox Live, to buy another console that costs a lot more than the last?

Did Sony really think this through? If BluRay was so expensive, they shouldnt have used the damn format in the first place.

Taken from Engadget:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe VP George Fornay mentioned that the PS3 will cost between €499 and €599, which is around $613 and $736 USD. He excused the price with the fact that it's a real steal for a Blu-ray playback system, but we're not so assured. Of course, Europe always gets a little screwed when it comes to console pricing, with the premium Xbox 360 going for €399 there while it rings up at a mere $399 here. If that logic holds, we might see the PS3 for $499 in the states, which happens to match up with the current buzz going around the developer community. It's always possible that Sony is just throwing out wild and crazy numbers to make us all surprised when the console hits for the regular $300 Sony price point, but it's looking less and less likely.

$399 = £227

Right, I'm gonna tell my cousin in America to order ;)...it's true though, us europeans are always shafted :(

EDIT: One of the only companies which charge a fair price is Apple....their US prices is similar to the UK's (even though it's all expensive anyway). Apple actually makes their money from the Hardware...why can't these other companies do the same?!

Last edited:

rockykabir said:
Apple actually makes their money from the Hardware...why can't these other companies do the same?!
Because not very many people are willing to pay $1000 or more for a console........................if they did cost that much, there would be a much bigger PC gaming market as you could get a nice PC(without a monitor since consoles don't come with TV's either) with that kind of money.............

Last edited:

$399 = £227 for XB360
$499 = £284 for PS3

There's your sums Rocky, read the article again. But as they also say about Europe getting shafted, look at an extra 50 quid on that.

deftonesmx17 said:
Because not very many people are willing to pay $1000 or more for a console........................if they did cost that much, there would be a much bigger PC gaming market as you could get a nice PC(without a monitor since consoles don't come with TV's either) with that kind of money.............

Sorry, I didn't make my post clear...

I meant to express why don't companies charge the same price in all regions. i.e. $399 in the US and £250 in the UK for example.

Apple do this yet their main profit comes from the Hardware market.

These corporations are ripping us off. The government should intervene tbh cos I've had enough! :shock: :mrgreen:

Holio said:
$399 = £227 for XB360
$499 = £284 for PS3

There's your sums Rocky, read the article again. But as they also say about Europe getting shafted, look at an extra 50 quid on that.

lol...I misread the article I posted :mrgreen:

But yea...fact still remains....we'll be shafted severly :(

You got to remember Rocky that VAT differs around the world. Thus they companies may plan to sell it at such a price, then depending on where it is sold the VAT will be added on. The US also has different Sales tax in each state, thus things can vary in price from state to state and on different items.

I still hope the prices arent much, I would much prefer expensive accesories than console, because I'm not buying and my parents are LOL! And so you get the story....

But is it really? That link you've posted is from the same website where I got the info regarding the price of the PS3, and that apparently was from the top dog at SCEE.

Whats the truth? Guess we won't officially know till E3, but my thoughts about the PS3s price still remain the same

499€-599€ according to playfrance in french radio interview Sony Computer Entertainment France and Sony Computer Entertainment Europen vicepresident George Fornay has said its a bit high for games console but pretty decent for blue-ray player

According to Joystiq.com (and in contradiction of an earlier article today) George Fornay, president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe accidentally announced the price of the PS3. Fornay says the Playstation 3 will be €499 and €599 which is equivalent to $613 to $736 dollars here in the U.S. Hopefully the price ends up dropping from there because they might just end up going the way of Atari if their system starts off that high, but what do you get for all that extra cash? Well in Fornay's eyes you will get a cheap Blu-ray compatible playback system. Sony has always tried to make their own medium but for some reason they don't stick; remember the Mini disc and it already seems that UMDs are going the same route. While a Sony exec made the statement we can never tell until the final price will be announced.

from what i understood from this post is that the "basic" ps3 will cost 499e and a "blu-ray" ps3 will cost 599e. Although its more logical that whats meant is between these prices

So whats the point of the online service suscription?

They said that there will be a basic online service which is free, as far as I know they've never said what the 'basic' service entails? Dunno where you saw that Nick...

New Brothers in Arms 3 Scans

15317_bia3_1.jpg

15317_bia3_2.jpg

15317_bia3_3.jpg

15317_bia3_4.jpg

15317_bia3_5.jpg

15317_bia3_6.jpg

Yesterday, European gaming media outlets were reporting SCEE VP George Fornay as saying that the PS3 will cost between 499 and 500 euros.

However, SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples said that Fornay "didn't actually ever mention a price," and that the interview on Europe 1 radio was "a very wide-ranging discussion about consumer electronics in general."

Sharples continued, "[Fornay and the interviewer] had been talking earlier about the price point of Blu-ray disc players, which are looking to sell around the $1000 mark. The interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500 -- not euros -- is about right [as a price for the PS3]. George explained that with all of the high-definition and Blu-ray disc functionality of the PS3, that a $500 price would be very cheap and a very good value."

"At no point did he ever refer to a specific price for [the PS3]. He was referring to a 500 dollar price that the interviewer had questioned to him, explaining the relative value of the PS3 console in relation to Blu-ray disc players on the high-end and consoles on the low-end," Sharples said.
He added that pricing for the PS3 will be announced at E3 "at the earliest."
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2690&Itemid=2

Last edited:

Better, cuz i aint even purchased a HDTV yet and if the PS3 is at that price ($500-$700) then i'm prolly not going to get one.

should be $399 and maximum of 499!
600-700 is an overkill

Back
Top Bottom