• Note for new users: Please keep your posts English or we will delete them. There's a "No English?" area in our Editing discussion forum for those who prefer writing in their native language.

The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
It was a dive, but if he hadn't dived, he would certainly have fallen...this is a hard decision for a referee.
Perhaps the best solution would have been to give both a penalty and a yellow card...

Godotelli

Stroking Silva's Hair
27 July 2012
Manchester
Manchester City
The Bundesliga is using Video Technology next season.

Hopefully it goes well. Been mixed over the results we've seen so far in other leagues/internationals. I worry about how long these decisions will take and how it will effect refs/linesman - will they not blow up/flag things so that they aren't criticised for false-positives?

I want VAR desperately (not least b/c we'd probably be in an FA Cup final right now) but the flow of football is much more important than in other sports.

Godotelli

Stroking Silva's Hair
27 July 2012
Manchester
Manchester City
Wondering what's the point of it if it's down to the ref to ask. Sterling got fouled by Umtiti for a pen (again) and (again) got nowt.

Not sure Varane should have been sent off. He brought him down without making an attempt for the ball but he didn't exactly chop him down.

Cuky

International
23 June 2007
Rab, Croatia
Real Madrid, Hajduk Split
I am a bit confused here. Just watching Levante vs. Real Madrid game and I just can't wrap my head around how VAR has awarded that 2nd penalty for Madrid. I can understand the 1st one, I can understand why it wasn't given for Levante, but that 2nd penalty is a mystery

emaremare

League 2
28 October 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Red Star Belgrade
Well VAR also helped them against AJAX

I think VAR will be killed soon, it is not used to a good goal it is used to help rich clubs. Its a shame greed destroys everything that could possibly be used as a good thing.

Cuky

International
23 June 2007
Rab, Croatia
Real Madrid, Hajduk Split
It is not that it's used to help rich clubs. The problem I see with it is that it is not regulated specifically but left to referees to decide if they want something to be reviewed or not.

Penalty was awarded/not awarded and it looked like a close call? When play stops review it and then get a right decision.
There was a goal, but conceding team thinks it was offside? Lets watch the replay. You already do that if goal is scored and assistant flags it for offside, so why not give the defending team a benefit of a doubt?

How it is now is ridiculous. Sometimes when penalty is not given the moment play stops it gets reviewed even if the ball is already on the other side of the pitch. In other cases the penalty is not given, ball goes out for goal kick or corner and referee just waives to play on.

Top Bottom