The Retro-PES Corner

Still ping ponging between J-L WE9 AC and WE10. I find these two games so complementary! Whenever I want slow build up and battle for the space I go for the first, when I want to defend and to have some more freedom/lightness I go for the second.

My adventure on the Nippon Challenge in WE10 unfortunately ended in the group stage of the World Cup.

Nice draw against Greece (here : a nostalgic Nakata-Nakamura-Inamoto-Nakamura exchange for my first goal), a loss against Ibra's Sweden, then a teary and useless victory against Mexico.

On JL WE9 AC I was eliminated from the Nippon Challenge even before the World Cup stage (must have been in the Kirin Cup or something) cause scoring in this game with a normal/modest team seems to me harder than even regular Pes5/We9. Anyway, I played some cups and unlocked the 6 stars level, then subsequently launched a J-League Master League. I choosed Tokyo Verdy, which I already experimented with in a Cup; green kit which reminds me my beloved custom team, and a nice trident in a big, talented brazilian forward I just identified as Washington (was kinda popular back in the days), plus another brazilian guy, small and relatively agile (Gil) a japananese lefty I couldn't identify.

Played two games: one win and a draw. The game plays very nice and kinda relaxing with all this JL low attributes. The ML is also differently structured to better replicate the real JL which is a nice variation on the theme (even if there still are WEFA competitions, which I find a bit odd.. but since it's J-League implanted in Master League and not a complete replica of the whole thing, I guess I'm good to go. Would have been nice for them to invent another fictitious competition since in the Pes "universe" we should be in the other side of the world tho).

Bonus video, which also underlines one of the reasons why I'll always love these games (and this editions in particular):

flying control to mislead the defender and volley, unluckily saved by the keeper. Without doing complicate combos of any sort.. it felt so natural and contextual. It, once more, gave me that "anything can potentially happen" sensation that will probably never make me quit for good the Ps2 gen.

Are you playing these Ps2 games with Pcsx2 emulator?

I feel like there is an input delay that doesn't help me enjoy them.

Anyway the huge plus to these games is the CPU plays so much better than latest Pes games. They make realistic mistakes, they score some absolutely beautiful goal, they are tough to crack in defense but even then i never ever feel cheated by CPU. It's refreshing stopping to watch a replay of CPU plays, because they are so natural you could say it's another human player controlling them.

You really notice the lack of focus on improving CPU AI in latest Pes games.

Last edited:
Are you playing these Ps2 games with Pcsx2 emulator?

I feel like there is an input delay that doesn't help me enjoy them.
Someome posted a video some pages ago and there are some details from @Madmac79 a ton of pages before, that shows how to tune the emulator settings for best optimisation. I think someone also posted a devkit build of the ps2 emulator with better and more stable bios. @Madmac79 sorry if my memory mixeas you up again!! :)
Indeed no PC emulator can be the same as a physical console in total performance. For the ps2 case at least.

Yeah @Ameppe I'm playing with the pcsx2 emu (the DEV version which is way more performing than the normal one) exactly as @slamsoze said above. The experience (at least in my not so new pc) is not as good as the regular installed games, but I found them more than playable anyway.. of course it depends on your subjective sensibility so nothing wrong if for you it isn't the same. Yeah I completely agree on your second paragraph, IA wasn't perfect but you could clearly see an aim in trying to approximate the real thing or at least to give you a real field sensation and not some fake challenge based mostly on how people play online (as it sadly happens nowadays).

Slam I can't remember posting the tune of the Pcsx2 (although it could be) but the discovery of the Dev version here surely goes to @fmicablues7 as I clearly remember him posting it first in this topic :) .

@Meazza84: Nice write-up man. I agree with everything you wrote, so it probably confirms that the gameplay is the same on PES12 PSP. The dribbling reminds me of PES3 honestly, where any player on an inspired day can wreck havoc. Yes, it benefits us the players, but the CPU as well.
Regarding defending, does R2 still trigger jockeying like in earlier PES PS2 games? Obviously I don't use it on the PSP - there is no R2 :D - but could come in handy for you on the PS2.
As far as my experience goes on PES PSP, I find it even more important on these games to create a great formation/tactics. I always employ a dynamic 4-4-2 flat with a high defensive line, where the three lines of defense (defense, midfield and both strikers) are very close to one another, in order to reduce as much space as possible. I utilize the :square: to bring a second defender more often than usual but not recklessly, particularly when I sense an opportunity to trap an adversary. Still, it took me a long while to get somewhere near "decent" and I can't say I've "mastered" defending at all, probably because the attacking AI in this game(s) is always a challenge.

I bet you'll find it very different to PES08: especially the dribbling part, because in this game the players don't keep the ball "glued" to their feet at all. Now when compared to any from PES09 to 14, at least on the PSP there's little if anything different about each on the gameplay part. I've gotten PES11 PS2 recently (the most recent I had for this console was PES09) and though I played very little, it seems to play almost exactly like the same version on the PSP, so I bet the rest follow the same pattern.

@Madmac79: That Japanese midfield...:WORSHIP: A while ago I did a PES4 league with NTs using Japan and Inamoto was strangely one of my favourite players. If you look at his statsheet you won't see anything special - particularly his horrible speed and I think agility as well - but ingame he's so fun to utilize; he was the "rock" behind all the creatives like Nakata and Nakamura.

Man, you're making me want to play that WE9 Asia Championship so bad! How's the attacking CPU with all those weaker J-League players?

If you guys find that PCSX2 tune I'll add it to the first post of the thread.

@Meazza84: Nice write-up man. I agree with everything you wrote, so it probably confirms that the gameplay is the same on PES12 PSP. The dribbling reminds me of PES3 honestly, where any player on an inspired day can wreck havoc. Yes, it benefits us the players, but the CPU as well.
Regarding defending, does R2 still trigger jockeying like in earlier PES PS2 games? Obviously I don't use it on the PSP - there is no R2 :D - but could come in handy for you on the PS2.
As far as my experience goes on PES PSP, I find it even more important on these games to create a great formation/tactics. I always employ a dynamic 4-4-2 flat with a high defensive line, where the three lines of defense (defense, midfield and both strikers) are very close to one another, in order to reduce as much space as possible. I utilize the :square: to bring a second defender more often than usual but not recklessly, particularly when I sense an opportunity to trap an adversary. Still, it took me a long while to get somewhere near "decent" and I can't say I've "mastered" defending at all, probably because the attacking AI in this game(s) is always a challenge.

I bet you'll find it very different to PES08: especially the dribbling part, because in this game the players don't keep the ball "glued" to their feet at all. Now when compared to any from PES09 to 14, at least on the PSP there's little if anything different about each on the gameplay part. I've gotten PES11 PS2 recently (the most recent I had for this console was PES09) and though I played very little, it seems to play almost exactly like the same version on the PSP, so I bet the rest follow the same pattern.

@Madmac79: That Japanese midfield...:WORSHIP: A while ago I did a PES4 league with NTs using Japan and Inamoto was strangely one of my favourite players. If you look at his statsheet you won't see anything special - particularly his horrible speed and I think agility as well - but ingame he's so fun to utilize; he was the "rock" behind all the creatives like Nakata and Nakamura.

Man, you're making me want to play that WE9 Asia Championship so bad! How's the attacking CPU with all those weaker J-League players?

If you guys find that PCSX2 tune I'll add it to the first post of the thread.
THe most recent was this by @Meazza84
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/the-retro-pes-corner.78697/page-235#post-3503191

The older one, I cannot search now but it was something similar with settings to 3D renders,openGLs and this kind of Shyte!!!! :D

When you're too good at dribbling...

(...sadly I was the defending team... :D )

---

On another of my underdog NT challenges on PES5, I took Slovenia to the World Cup semifinals!
It's a tall, strong, but slow and, except for Nadje, Acimowic and a couple of others (these are their PES names, don't care about their real ones), a technically poor team. I decided to set up a kind of 4-3-1-2 with four CBs (two of them as false SBs), three DMF/CMFs to do the dirty work and support Nadje, who's way above average technically with a bunch of +80 passing stats who plays as a roaming AMF. Acimowic - another quality player is the SS and Siliak, a very decent "matador" up front. Basically, it's seven players working to support the only three good players in our team.

Our group: Italy, Cameroon, Japan. With a glorious record of 1 goal scored in three matches and 0 conceded, we advance to the following round alongside favourites Italy.
Round of 16 was against...France. Oh well. We manage to hold on to the 0-0 until the end of the 120 minutes. Trezeguet had the game's only clear cut chance on the 120th minute and our keeper makes a wonderful save, to penalties we go and...we win!
Quarter-finals...England. God damn it. Again we draw it and Ashley Cole becomes the first player able to score a goal against us...through a header. Four CBs, all of them taller than 1,90m, were unable to stop the much shorter opposition LB on the aerial game, after a clean sheet in four games against the likes of Italy and France. PES5 is always unpredictable...anyway, just minutes later we score our second goal of the competition, tie it and...we go to penalties again!
Lampard had to score the fifth penalty to win them the game but...he misses the goal entirely! Two penalties later, we score and England misses, so we win it again on the PK shootout!
Semifinals against...Italy. Here we meet again. Pirlo scored the first with a fantastic long range shot and we were never able to get one back. Eventually, Totti scored the 2-0 and our hopes at reaching the final collapsed.

Still, this was yet another memorable run. As usual, I grew fond of some of these players. I hesitated on starting Macanicic or whatever his fake name is because there was a certain 21-year old...Sami Handanovic, yet I chose him anyway and the guy saves almost everything on his way, including certainly more than half a dozen penalties against England and France.

Now I might go for an even harder challenge and pick...China :shiver:

And something like this..

Basically with these my i5 GPUless laptop was ok, but I was a greedy b@st@rd and wanted to have more quality ,so I went “2xnative and 4xnative” which was too much for my poor PC.

Last edited:
Much appreciated @slamsoze, helpful as always. Oh and thanks also for the answer to my snow question, I was almost sure it was introduced in PES5.

Added both videos to the first post.

Football writer and journalist Jonathan Wilson is currently playing a PES tournament to replace live football in his life.

Bizarre to think I own this man's books, he's a serious football person, and here he is playing PES 5 or 6, with a classic teams mod. That's insane, to me, given how niche this is / we are.

Much appreciated @slamsoze, helpful as always. Oh and thanks also for the answer to my snow question, I was almost sure it was introduced in PES5.

Added both videos to the first post.
You are welcome. This was my constant flaming post on pes forums back in 2004. As a player who had came basically from ISS snes and KCEO ISS on N64, I was angry that snes could have snow and the PES series on PS1 and PS2 couldn’t.:)

You know @miguelfcp basically we ISS KCEO followers who supported until the “terrible”ISS3 , we are a subgroup inside pes fans groups, like a group of masons inside a group of masons or a heresy.
And among time we had constantly two sentences to moan on the pureDNA PESfans.
1) Snow
2) Coin flip pre kick-off!

Last edited:
@slamsoze: They add and remove things over the years just to have something to add and remove later on...:COOL:
that analogy...:D are you talking about ISS on the PS2? I kind of liked some parts of that game. Does it have snow? I don't remember it. I know it has a wonderful intro song.

Just incase for those who have missed it as I haven't shared them in here, Here's the first 3 episodes of my new series, Champions League 08-09 via PES 6.

Going from PES 2010 to PES 6 was interesting. PES 2019 feels ultra fluid compared to 6 on the animation front but 6 is just so responsive.

Nonetheless, 6 is still one of the most fun PES's of all time no matter how many times in my life I've played it.

@slamsoze: They add and remove things over the years just to have something to add and remove later on...:COOL:
that analogy...:D are you talking about ISS on the PS2? I kind of liked some parts of that game. Does it have snow? I don't remember it. I know it has a wonderful intro song.

The ISS3 on PC i don't remember to be honest. The ISS64,98 had for N64 and maybe 99,9% the ISS2000 for N64. Their counterparts for PSX i do not know if have SNOW and to be honest they were titled so confusing, that except for ISS 98 that is clear on N64 and PSX, for tge rest ISS titles i cannot tell for sure which title of N64 pairs with PSX. For me it was the ISS saga for SNES-N64 and finally the ISS3 for PC, for my knowledge at least. As for ISS3 i think you have reviewed it in a blog of yours. It has some good features and some questionable and arcadey ones.
It is like KONAMI had an U-18 development team and told them : "Ok guys you are not mature enough to fit in the main development squad, so toy with something until you grow up enough"!

Hello all,

I am glad I found this page as I also still like to play the old PES games and enjoy them more than the newer ones. Even though I played PES 2020 on PS4 and I don't think it is that bad, but it is just not the same anymore... I thought it was me but now I see there are many others feeling the same about old vs new PES

Yesterday I played PES 3 on PC for the first time, it brought back a lot of memories to play with the players from that time. I used to have it on a PS2 when it was released. So great to see stuff like the Vendetta patch I found on the internet. I played 4 games against the CPU and could not even win one, 2x with Inter vs Benfica (1-1 and 0-0), another two with Chelsea against Arsenal (1-2 and 0-0). Three red cards were shown to CPU players (I did not remember they showed the red card so quickly, or was it just a coincidence?!) but I hardly managed to have a real scoring opportunity and only scored 2 goals in 4 games (playing 15 min each game on the 2nd hardest level).

I also recently saw the PES 6 CL 2008/09 videos on YT and downloaded the patch that is linked there called "The Korean Patch". Great work, although I don't like that the OF I downloaded with it has a couple of players that were not in the real squads like Johan Cruyff in Hamburg :SHOCK::LMAO: I also noticed it was a Korean patch by the fact the Korea team was very strong (I would even say, overrated) and made it to a WC final against my team. But I have made a couple of corrections in the OF like reducing stats from players like Figo, Adriano, Maldini or Sheva that had stats based on their prime but in 2008/09 were not that good anymore for a more realistic 2008/09 feel. Definitely look forward to playing some more games with this.

also recently saw the PES 6 CL 2008/09 videos on YT and downloaded the patch that is linked there called "The Korean Patch". Great work, although I don't like that the OF I downloaded with it has a couple of players that were not in the real squads like Johan Cruyff in Hamburg :SHOCK::LMAO: I also noticed it was a Korean patch by the fact the Korea team was very strong (I would even say, overrated) and made it to a WC final against my team. But I have made a couple of corrections in the OF like reducing stats from players like Figo, Adriano, Maldini or Sheva that had stats based on their prime but in 2008/09 were not that good anymore for a more realistic 2008/09 feel. Definitely look forward to playing some more games with this.
Yeah I had to correct a few things from that patch before a I started, It's not the best Patch for PES 6 but it was the only one I could find for 08/09. They even feature some random current players like Griezmann for Athletico & Harry Kane for England.

Something tells me the patch makers are very young...

@Madmac79

Soon to say mate.

I suspect it isn't really much better than the rest of the bunch in this regard- but I'm not 100% sure. I had a lot of good games, when I spammed cups (so even against very good teams like Barça, Brazil etc.), where the CPU did egregious things.. it sometimes made me even believe it was seriously improved compared with Pes5/WE9.. but I also had plenty of 0-0 and matches where the CPU used the old bad patterns.

We'll see anyway- all this low attribute teams clashing with my own mediocre one should provide quite a different experience anyway :) .

I am really enjoying playing my ML PES2008 PSP version. It has taken me a whole season to finally work out the best controls to use. I was using the stick but was finding myself getting quite frantic when under pressure and misplacing passes. So i decided to go with the D-Pad and so far my team is playing better.

I just had my best and most tense game so far. 12th game of the season and we (Leeds) are playing Cardiff. We are bottom without a win and Cardiff are 4th and only about 3pts off second place. We managed to win but only just. After we went 2-0 up there were a number of fouls going in from both sides.

Check the stats. I love the fact that they dominated possession and we were able to play on the counter attack defending with our lives, especially after they pulled one back.

1584332081218.jpeg

1584332284664.jpeg

Oh and there are definitely hand balls in this game. With virtually the last kick of the game Cardiff hit a cross into the box and their man was open. The ball kind of hit him and dropped kinda funny, i thought that i would have a bit of defending to do but then the ref blew his whistle and the player flung his hands up in disgust. There was no one around him and no offside replay so it had to be hand ball.

Just thinking also in this game we cleared one off the line at 2-0. There was so much happening in it.

I would like to ask you PSP players, do you play with the stick or the D-Pad?

I also recently saw the PES 6 CL 2008/09 videos on YT and downloaded the patch that is linked there called "The Korean Patch". Great work, although I don't like that the OF I downloaded with it has a couple of players that were not in the real squads like Johan Cruyff in Hamburg :SHOCK::LMAO:

i don't see cruyff in hamburg with this patch.

@geeeeee PSP is how I play PES 2008. Love having the handheld option to play anywhere! I know the lack of commentary and stadiums are a negative, but the pure gameplay makes up for it compared to the later PES PSP games.

But to answer your question, I use the stick. I tried using the d-pad but just wasn't comfortable long term for me. I also only play as a "locked player" so defending is easier when you are just controlling 1 player.

@geeeeee: I was a d-pad kind of guy before switching to the stick, yet though I used it for years, that stick is horrible, it's so not ergonomic. Eventually I switched back to the d-pad and my left hand is forever thankful for that :D

Look what I found: a list of the footballing "personalities" of each PES5 referee:

---------------------------------------------------
| Referee name| Country | Fouls | Cards |
| 1-Mario Pedrotti| Italy | ** | ** |
| 2-Martin O'Brien| England | * | * |
| 3-Jose Trueva| Spain | *** | * |
| 4-Johann Weikath| Germany | * | * |
| 5-Francois Seraphine| France | ** | ** |
| 6-Johan Jansen| Holland | * | ** |
| 7-Alberto Carlos| Brazil | ** | ** |
| 8-Cart White| USA | *** | *** |
| 9-Piere Enume| Cameroon | ** | ** |
| 10-Kazuki Ito| Japan | *** | *** |

Thanks @Special4988 and @miguelfcp for the info on what you use.

Definitely i will continue to use the dpad on the PSP but will use the stick on the PS2.

I am loving this game more and more as my imagination takes hold of me. In one game i brought down and fouled one of Brighton’s players. He was taken off. Later on in that game a Brighton player fouled my player that had done the original foul. To me and my imagination that was all about retaliation. Lol that sounds like a rap.

I also find that there is quite a lot of freedom despite there only being 8 directions and, supposedly, on rails. For example I love playing a long ball into space along the left wing for my striker, Nketiah, to run onto. He then has a race with the defender to get it and it is great to see little battles like that.

In fact Nketiah is excellent for us with his running and chasing down defenders. The complete opposite to Bamford who is struggling a bit. He only got rated 4.5 in my last game, which we won, and he touched the ball 8 times in 90 minutes.

shooting on pes4 is really something haha, and on we9le the sprint is scripted facing goal scoring opportunity, the last important put-away ball from foot always goes the extra mile what garbage

installed pes3 (again) :OOOH:
lets see how that goes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom