The Retro-PES Corner

@Lexypoooo: Good one. Honestly my issue there is that I like them all, but am far from loving any. If you combine its amazing edition of the ML, superb soundtrack and unique visuals - love it or hate it, it's really one of a kind -, PES10 has to be one of the best of the bunch. Gameplay-wise, I like PES11 a bit more than the rest, though playing PES10 with weaker teams is a superior experience.

One of my most successful ventures lately on PES2: I brought Greece, one of the weakest NTs in the game, to the World Cup - ahem...International Cup! - finals. Despite having a group comprised of Brazil, Italy and Northern Ireland, we won it after winning 2-0 vs Brazil, 1-0 vs Northern Ireland and drawing 2-2 vs. Italy on the last fixture.

Round of 16 vs. Uruguay - 1-0 win with a goal scored on the 118th minute of the match!
Quarter-finals vs. England:

5OI3rFM.jpg

The CPU posted this screenshot on Reddit to complain about Human Cheating in PES. No wonder! As you can see, I was totally immersed with that Greece '04 spirit and built a team based on a solid defense and merciless counter-attacks. But most of the time I just spawned the square button to clear the ball to the often hopeless frontmen duo. Whoever thought tiki-taka is more fun than this should be sent to a gulag...

Semifinals vs Paraguay - 2-0. Wasn't expecting to meet Paraguay on that which has to be one of the weakest WC semifinals ever...Our boys made sure that Roque Santa Cruz, one of their best players, got injured on the first few minutes of the match - and was therefore subbed off immediately - so we pretty much got a tranquil path to the finals against an unimpressive opponent.

Finals vs Argentina - Bielsa's Argentina would be tough nut to crack. Unsurprisingly, they ended the match with 62% ball possession and many more shots on goal, having completely dominated us from start to finish. However, we scored first; five minutes later Claudio Lopez ties it and just five minutes before the end, Ortega dribbles half of our team, gets one-on-one with the keeper and scores the 2-1, winning Argentina the title.

Hey guys. Some time no see. But I still read you more or less regularly.

I've been playing some WE 10 lately.

The game is interesting and I think one of the less explored of it all, since later Pes 6 had all the fame in the world. Here anyway you can definitely feel the jump from the past but still retain some more Pes 5 feel around compared with his european incarnation Pes 6.

I'm doing the Nippon Challenge. Plenty of varied games and tactical variety even among the low stats national teams I've met until now.

Anyway, you can breath all the depth and the directness of the Ps2 era.

What PES game do you guys think has the best player individuality in hands of AI? I speaking about individuality, let difficulty alone

What PES game do you guys think has the best player individuality in hands of AI? I speaking about individuality, let difficulty alone
I feel like the PS2 games nailed this in terms of getting players to play close to their persona, Gerrard would shoot from range, Ronaldinho would go on runs etc.

As far as the creativity & unpredictablity of the AI, Nothing comes closer than PES 2017 in that regard to me.

@Madmac79: Hey Mad, how's it going? Never played WE10, but as per your description is sounds a bit like PES08 PS2 with that PES5/6 kind of "combo".

@Pavel08: I'm with @MafiaMurderBag, any PES PS2 game won't let you down on this regard. I can't pick an undisputed best out of that bunch, they're all so good.

I'd forgotten how WE6FE/PES2 etc give you full control over the direction arrows for the defensive phase/attitude, whereas from PES3 onwards you could only chose high/medium/low. Pretty cool and tactically realistic. Not too happy there's no manual GK cursor though, I like a bit of manual repositioning and saving. No huge deal though, at least there's manual player switching.

@miguelfcp Hey Miguel my dear. Stressful moment tbh. Trying to ease my mind from this corona outbreak. I hope you guys and your countries are ok from it. It also came to my mind that in Greece is happening a lot of heavy stuff lately. Hope my good pal @slamsoze is fine as well.

Talking about lighter things, yeah your description is on point, WE 10 feels a bit like Pes 08 ps2, especially in the variety of the games, even if it's obviously less refined than it. There are a lot of little unique things (at least in my eyes) like the ball which feels a lot more free and random than both Pes 5 and 6 (in fact I've had some few not particularly disturbing glitch due to it) and the fouls, which in some games are still in a very good number (less than 5 but more than 6). The fouls/collision system feels indeed like halfway between the two chapters.

It also has the qualifying round for the International Cup. Once I'm done with the Nippon CHallenge I'll probably play one :) .

@miguelfcp Hey Miguel my dear. Stressful moment tbh. Trying to ease my mind from this corona outbreak. I hope you guys and your countries are ok from it. It also came to my mind that in Greece is happening a lot of heavy stuff lately. Hope my good pal @slamsoze is fine as well.

Talking about lighter things, yeah your description is on point, WE 10 feels a bit like Pes 08 ps2, especially in the variety of the games, even if it's obviously less refined than it. There are a lot of little unique things (at least in my eyes) like the ball which feels a lot more free and random than both Pes 5 and 6 (in fact I've had some few not particularly disturbing glitch due to it) and the fouls, which in some games are still in a very good number (less than 5 but more than 6). The fouls/collision system feels indeed like halfway between the two chapters.

It also has the qualifying round for the International Cup. Once I'm done with the Nippon CHallenge I'll probably play one :) .
Cheers mate. Wish you the best too. I am more inactive due to job and family business the latest days. Things are stiil not a serious as in Italy, although just by mofing coincidence there is a huge spread this week in the region i live and the next one.
All in all , things are not perfect, but it could be much worse.

@Madmac79: Your country is getting hit hard, hope you and yours will be safe. I've already took care of business and sent the people responsible for the outbreak in Wuhan to the gulag. Chairman Xi is comfortably enjoying himself in a secluded villa playing loads of retro-PES games.
As the virus has recently spread to Portugal, people here are beginning to panic, which is surprising given we're usually very lax in these situations.

That all sounds very good, I'll have to play it. It's amazing that only more than a decade later I'm finding out about these gems, back then I was convinced WE/PES was always exactly the same game except for the different nomenclature...
Have you played more of J-League Club Championship 2008? I believe it was you who first spoke about it here on the Corner about that game and I was very impressed after playing a handful of matches there.
---
After my many PES2 International Cup ventures, which culminated with that stupendous performance using Greece's NT, I'm on PES5 now trying to replicate that success with even weaker teams. Latvia to the top, as well as the likes of China, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia...
Usually I play 20 min. matches on PES5, this time around I'm playing 15 min. and this might be a coincidence, but the AI seems to be attacking much better than on those 20 min. games. Can anyone confirm whether this is a thing?

@miguelfcp In the last period I've been using Pcsx2 as a kind of random diversion. I'd load up a different game depending on my spirit and do a bunch of matches with it. Once you recover more or less the full list, you realize that there truly are football games for a lifetime.

Lately I've been more focused on We10 (as already described) and J-L We 9 Asia Championship: despite my love for the Pes5/WE9 dinasty I've never gave it a proper playthrough (despite hearing a bunch of great things on it years and years ago) so I decided to start a Nippon Challenge here too to also unlock level 6 and verify how many differences there are (if there is any at all) between this last chapter of the 9 dinasty and the rest of the bunch.

But, WE 2008 also easily entered in my rotations more than once. Awesome game for sure. Can't still tell differences with Pes 08 tho- I'd need to unlock level 6 here too. And maybe play a JL.

In other words, interesting that the more time seems to lead to better attacking in Pes 5. I've always played on the standard 10 minutes so I wouldn't know. Hope you'll keep reporting about it!

@miguelfcpIn other words, interesting that the more time seems to lead to better attacking in Pes 5. I've always played on the standard 10 minutes so I wouldn't know. Hope you'll keep reporting about it!
When I did my CL series on PES 5, I played all group games on 15 minutes & all knockouts on 20, The final on 30...

The experience was unforgettable. It really felt like a different game, A Premier football simulation. The game has so much more time to shine, You psychologically play less frantically & the game ebbs & flows more realistically whereas in 10 minutes, its like the game is Elvis being whisked away off the stage just when the audience wants more... "Ladies & gentleman, PES 5 has LEFT THE BUILDING."

I've heard the anology from game devs that tried to strike a balance between fun & realism in 10 minutes and that therfore the objective can not be realism because if so, The player wouldn't be able to be productive in such a short space of time & I think that's been taken to a whole new extreme if you play FOX-PES online. They're not trying to make the vanilla game a football game anymore, But rather a fun game based on football.

When I did my CL series on PES 5, I played all group games on 15 minutes & all knockouts on 20, The final on 30...

The experience was unforgettable. It really felt like a different game, A Premier football simulation. The game has so much more time to shine, You psychologically play less frantically & the game ebbs & flows more realistically whereas in 10 minutes, its like the game is Elvis being whisked away off the stage just when the audience wants more... "Ladies & gentleman, PES 5 has LEFT THE BUILDING."

I've heard the anology from game devs that tried to strike a balance between fun & realism in 10 minutes and that therfore the objective can not be realism because if so, The player wouldn't be able to be productive in such a short space of time & I think that's been taken to a whole new extreme if you play FOX-PES online. They're not trying to make the vanilla game a football game anymore, But rather a fun game based on football.

Damn, I remember your series pretty well but I forgot about the longer matches. I must try it at this point.

@Madmac79: Even if for some outrageous reason no one ever released any more football games, there'd still be more than enough entertainment to keep one busy.
Wait, WE9 Asia Championship, never heard of it! And it turns out, there's a WE8 version of that as well...well, two more added to my ever-growing list...:D

As for J-League 08, I played very little of it but the major difference between that and PES08 PS2 is the low-low stats of J-League players which makes the game shine even more. They're not horrible attributes in an AMADOR-like way, but are far from brilliant.
The J-League stadiums are fantastic to play in. I tried a ML; "tried" is the right word for navigating the Japanese menus is a pain. Anyway, after inadvertently releasing one of my players, I managed to buy a very decent player from I believe LaLiga's Almeria: it got me thinking that this could be an interesting challenge, bringing more quality, foreign players to Japan and increase the competitiveness of the league on a ML save. It's on my list.

No, I meant the opposite: I'm finding that on 20 min matches, the CPU is less offensively skilled when compared to 15 min. games. I hadn't played 15 min matches on PES5 for a long while now so I'm playing more until I form an educated opinion though.

@MafiaMurderBag: If there is a game that handles anything above 20 min matches, it has to be PES5 for its unique characteristics. There's something about this game that makes it an addictive experience like no other. It's thinking man's football. You have to always be on your toes tactically - individual and collective actions -, technically, physically.

Anyway, PES5 could have been the beginning of something great, the first step towards achieving the most ambitious football simulation possible. More than a decade ago I found out that I could play the full length of a real-life NBA match on NBA2K (48 minutes) and get ultra-realistic results not just when it comes to the action itself, but also when looking at the match stats. It's 2020 and the modern football scene is still stuck on the same-old 10/15 min matches, only unlike in PES5, you don't even get an adequate number of fouls...

...and my underdog national teams challenges keep going. After failing to get Latvia to World Cup glory in PES5 for the 247th time, it's time to go all-in and turn the odds in my favor on the 248th attempt.
This means, every Latvian player grows a moustache. I went on Edit Mode and assigned moustaches for all 23 players of this NT.
...oh, you're laughing? Well, right after the makeover the International Cup draw gets us on a group with Spain, Morocco and China - on my previous attempt I faced England, Senegal and Turkey, so this is a major improvement. It's a known fact: moustaches are bearers of good fortune. China is pretty horrible (perhaps as bad as Latvia) and Morocco is a bit better but not brilliant. Spain is utter trash as we all know. :COOL:

First match vs. Morocco. All 11 moustaches show up and we almost win it. Right after scoring the 2-1 on a penalty around the 85th minute, I sub off one of my strikers for a CB and our only semi-dangerous winger (one of the few in this team who is not terrible) for a SB. On the next play, I concede the 2-2 on a free kick - the final result. Morocco are indeed the favourites to grab the 2nd place of the group behind Spain so this is far from a bad result anyway.

Up next is vs. Spain. Please retro-PESers, pray for Latvia.

@miguelfcp I don't know if shorter matches makes the AI attacking any better, but after playing this game for a very very long time one thing is for sure, we don't know shit about how cpu plays in certain situations in this game.:DD:DD One way to know this is playing with 2 teams over and over again in different modes of the game, I tested it recently, I usually play with weaker teams but decided to test it with 2 top teams. AC Milan (me) vs Chelsea (CPU), I tested on 4, 5 and 6* in exhibition, league and cup modes, 10, 15, 20 min. matches, without changing any tactics of my team and the AI's and the stats are the standard PSD stats of FLS Patch.
No conclusions, exhibition mode, in one match they watch me as I score over and over again, the next in the same mode they're all over me, cup mode the same, league mode the same. PES 5 is a mystery. and I know something else for sure, never ever a video game has brought me this amount of joy. My favourite video game of all time.

Last edited:
Retro friends, help! I've played those games probably thousand hours in my life, yet I can't say for sure: do yo guys remember handballs in Pes5/We9?

This was the first time four of us played a tournament. Me, my nephew and my two cousins.

My younger cousin, the most talented of us all, got to the finals with two of his teams. However, he was beaten by my nephew in the final so he didn't win the tournament by our rules (in such a case nobody wins).

This was the first time four of us played a tournament. Me, my nephew and my two cousins.

My younger cousin, the most talented of us all, got to the finals with two of his teams. However, he was beaten by my nephew in the final so he didn't win the tournament by our rules (in such a case nobody wins).

you play this on ps2 or pc?

Actually I followed a tutorial on youtube in Brazilian Portuguese. You can see on the screen what he is doing and do the same. I will try to find it.

Back
Top Bottom