The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79: I remember them in PES3, I don't think it exists on PES5 (so far haven't gotten any...).

-------

...and my underdog national teams challenges keep going. After failing to get Latvia to World Cup glory in PES5 for the 247th time, it's time to go all-in and turn the odds in my favor on the 248th attempt.
This means, every Latvian player grows a moustache. I went on Edit Mode and assigned moustaches for all 23 players of this NT.
...oh, you're laughing? Well, right after the makeover the International Cup draw gets us on a group with Spain, Morocco and China - on my previous attempt I faced England, Senegal and Turkey, so this is a major improvement. It's a known fact: moustaches are bearers of good fortune. China is pretty horrible (perhaps as bad as Latvia) and Morocco is a bit better but not brilliant. Spain is utter trash as we all know. :COOL:

First match vs. Morocco. All 11 moustaches show up and we almost win it. Right after scoring the 2-1 on a penalty around the 85th minute, I sub off one of my strikers for a CB and our only semi-dangerous winger (one of the few in this team who is not terrible) for a SB. On the next play, I concede the 2-2 on a free kick - the final result. Morocco are indeed the favourites to grab the 2nd place of the group behind Spain so this is far from a bad result anyway.

Up next is vs. Spain. Please retro-PESers, pray for Latvia.

lcqrQbW.jpg

Never stop believing, my friends! I told you, this is the power of the moustache.
More fouls than shots; ladies and gentlemen, I present you PES5. Defensively we were absolutely brilliant and we scored on our only shot on goal, a free kick from 35-40 yards out. Never scored any as good as that and probably will never do it again.

So after this incredible win we had 4 points and the first place of the group before the final fixture against China. We'd be qualified for the next round unless we lost that match and China scored four more goals than us, which was almost impossible particularly given how crappy they are. In the end, we won it 2-0 and the second goal was so ridiculous that I'm literally beginning to believe in the power of the virtual moustache: China's CB gets the ball on their box, tries to pass it short to a teammate, another one gets in front of the passing lane so it hits his leg, the ball gets a weird bounce, hits the post past a helpless keeper and it's in. Curiously, China was harder to beat than Spain though.

y02GaDa.jpg

On the round of 16 we faced Ecuador. Not the strongest team but, in theory, they were much better than Latvia.

qqKyFk7.jpg

To the quarter-finals we go! C-can we do this?
Again I ask all Retro-PESers to send positive vibes to our Latvian friends.

@miguelfcp I investigated a bit, and reading on an old thread on soccer gaming, apparently there are, even if super rare :O . I asked because I had one whistled against me yesterday on JL WE9 AC, on an arm stop of Makaay that I couldn't capture fast enouh (damn replays..).. it came as a total shock (since I also thought Pes 3 was the last one to have them) but also with a weird sense of familiarity, so I wasn't sure if it was a feature they reintroduced just for this edition or if it was always there.. but apparently it was, I've even have ones back in the days and I consciously forgot about it, lol. Speaks volume about the ridiculous quantity of little details buried in this game.

Good luck on your latvian task, anyway! Sounds like a super tough one.
I often wonder if it would be possible at all to win a ML with a super bad team like this.

@Madmac79: Had no idea, interesting. Speaking of those little details as you say, I recently witnessed that situation when a player gets injured but the play continues, then the CPU intentionally kicks the ball off the pitch. The volume of my TV wasn't that high, but I believe I was booed before I gave the ball back...? :D Anyway, why do they remove these great little features?

Thanks man, it is. The interesting bit is that some players have some nice attributes. For example, both of the CBs I use have 78 and 77 defense I believe; the problem is, both have 60-something speed and agility - one even has 60 Acceleration! Globally only one player is good enough for the international level, Verpakovskis. The rest might have one or two interesting attributes but generally are very poor. So, the key here is to play according to their few qualities and try to disguise their problems.

@miguelfcp I investigated a bit, and reading on an old thread on soccer gaming, apparently there are, even if super rare :O . I asked because I had one whistled against me yesterday on JL WE9 AC, on an arm stop of Makaay that I couldn't capture fast enouh (damn replays..).. it came as a total shock (since I also thought Pes 3 was the last one to have them) but also with a weird sense of familiarity, so I wasn't sure if it was a feature they reintroduced just for this edition or if it was always there.. but apparently it was, I've even have ones back in the days and I consciously forgot about it, lol. Speaks volume about the ridiculous quantity of little details buried in this game.

Good luck on your latvian task, anyway! Sounds like a super tough one.
I often wonder if it would be possible at all to win a ML with a super bad team like this.
IIRC we had this debate some years ago here in the topic and we concluded that there are also on PES5, not sure for 6, but very rare.
In your case did the players or the ref do the animation of handbal? The one that they look like they clap their hand in the air?

@Madmac79: Had no idea, interesting. Speaking of those little details as you say, I recently witnessed that situation when a player gets injured but the play continues, then the CPU intentionally kicks the ball off the pitch. The volume of my TV wasn't that high, but I believe I was booed before I gave the ball back...? :D Anyway, why do they remove these great little features?

Thanks man, it is. The interesting bit is that some players have some nice attributes. For example, both of the CBs I use have 78 and 77 defense I believe; the problem is, both have 60-something speed and agility - one even has 60 Acceleration! Globally only one player is good enough for the international level, Verpakovskis. The rest might have one or two interesting attributes but generally are very poor. So, the key here is to play according to their few qualities and try to disguise their problems.
For this i am sure. The give back fairplay existed in PES5. And the booooh in case the human player doesn't return the ball for a proper fair-play. CPU is politically correct and plays always the fair-play :P

I have had what i believed to be a hand ball about a year ago and it must have been in PES2008 because that is all i play.

The reason i say ‘i believed‘ is because, we had a corner and scored. But the ref blew the whistle and gave a free kick to the other team. There was no replay which would suggest offside and it did not look like a foul on my part because no one went to ground. In that case i just imagine it was a hand ball or even a push.

Also, how hard is PES2008 on psp! I am away at the moment so playing it a lot but i cannot win a game. Doing similar challenges to @miguelfcp using random countries in a World Cup but i cannot even get out the group stage. It may be because i find the controls a bit fiddly. I may have to drop the difficulty down to Regular.

I also found out how to check the CPU line up during the select line up screen by pressing the ‘Start’ button.

@miguelfcp yeah, no idea either. They probably wanted to simplify the game or something. They never needed a good reason to remove stuff after all :D . I remember such thing like the give the ball back fair play-feature to be even in Fifa until at least 16 but it slowly disappeared as well (can't remember exactly when tho).

@slamsoze I have no memory of such a debate but I believe you of course :D. By the way yes, for the brief second I could realize what was going on I can tell they more or less all did the animations in which they touch their arm.

Fascinating if it's still present in 2008 or other later chapters as @geeeeee said above. Is it possible it never left in Ps2 but it simply became an even more super rare event?

What PES game do you guys think has the best player individuality in hands of AI?

2010 :))
-

read through the pages since my last post early autumn, its that time of the year, the latest (if bought) pes title is long forgotten, wondering now if and what title to install again, it would be 6 or 4 i think.. (6 has cam tool, 4 requires less stat edit)

@miguelfcp yeah, no idea either. They probably wanted to simplify the game or something. They never needed a good reason to remove stuff after all :D . I remember such thing like the give the ball back fair play-feature to be even in Fifa until at least 16 but it slowly disappeared as well (can't remember exactly when tho).

@slamsoze I have no memory of such a debate but I believe you of course :D. By the way yes, for the brief second I could realize what was going on I can tell they more or less all did the animations in which they touch their arm.

Fascinating if it's still present in 2008 or other later chapters as @geeeeee said above. Is it possible it never left in Ps2 but it simply became an even more super rare event?
I have neither full memory, but i remember it a little bit, cause i was in the wrong side, i insisted that they didn't exist after pes3. :)
I think it was either you or @mattmid who proved me i was wrong!

@slamsoze @Madmac79 I do vaguely recall a conversation about handballs. I'm pretty sure they are in PES4 (haven't played that one in a long time but I'm almost certain they were in that) and 5, but I honestly can't recall seeing one in PES6 (PC version at least) and that's the game I've played most over the years. There could be some minor one's like @geeeeee mentioned where there's a free kick and it's not entirely evident what it was for - perhaps they only gave attacking handballs? Maybe that was the inspiration behind the current real world ridiculous rule! :LOL:

In PES6 they also took out the giving the ball after an injury too I think. I'm sure it's in the WE between 5 and 6 though (10 or is that 9?)

As I've said before I swear they sat down in a meeting before starting each new version with a list of great new things to add and made sure they took away something great that was already in the game for each one they added!

I'm playing PES 2012 for PS2. The gameplay is very different from PES 6 even though it might look the same on the outside. I will write about it in detail after I finish the tournament I'm playing now. I suppose PES 2014 is similar to 2012, it shouldn't be very different.

I was watching this clip

It looks very good. Moves so smooth!
The sprinting animation + dribbling look great.
I wonder what happened to PES, really. It felt smoother and more human than now.

I wonder what gameplay mods the clip above uses. On my game, everyone runs at the same speed.

@slamsoze @Madmac79 I do vaguely recall a conversation about handballs. I'm pretty sure they are in PES4 (haven't played that one in a long time but I'm almost certain they were in that) and 5, but I honestly can't recall seeing one in PES6 (PC version at least) and that's the game I've played most over the years. There could be some minor one's like @geeeeee mentioned where there's a free kick and it's not entirely evident what it was for - perhaps they only gave attacking handballs? Maybe that was the inspiration behind the current real world ridiculous rule! :LOL:

In PES6 they also took out the giving the ball after an injury too I think. I'm sure it's in the WE between 5 and 6 though (10 or is that 9?)

As I've said before I swear they sat down in a meeting before starting each new version with a list of great new things to add and made sure they took away something great that was already in the game for each one they added!

Thinking about it I have also seen blatant handballs by defenders in PES2008 which werent given. Like you say maybe they only give attacking handballs.

Regarding injuries, in 2008 you still get players rolling around on the ground as play goes on. But it is up to you if you want to kick it out or not. Because I am a fair kind of guy, i keep playing on and take advantage of the space on the pitch :P
Anyone ever play 2014 but for the PS2? Didn’t even know they released it on the ps2 but saw a YouTube video of it and it and the gameplay looked solid.

Personally I have found that anything after 2008 on the PS2 is not as good against the CPU. There are less fouls, the CPU attack is all about dribbling and when you tackle the CPU on harder levels it still gets the ball before you, and for some reason the pitch looks thinner and longer to me with lots of space in the midfield.

I have tried the later versions many times because of the Champions League and Europa League License but I cannot get on with it.

I'm playing PES 2012 for PS2. The gameplay is very different from PES 6 even though it might look the same on the outside. I will write about it in detail after I finish the tournament I'm playing now. I suppose PES 2014 is similar to 2012, it shouldn't be very different.

It will be good to read your views Meazza.

While we're on the subject of injuries in Retro PES, Here's a couple of my old tweets demonstrating the slight variation in injury events.

In PES 5, We would get drop ball situations when you refused to kick the ball out of player when a player stayed down

The first Fox Engine PES retained the players carted off on a stretcher which unless in mistaken, we haven't seen since.

@cosmo: The right retro-PES game to install is...all of them! Anyway, PES4 is underappreciated in my opinion. Yes the game is very fast and the shooting is a bit weird but overall it never fails to entertain me.

Now that you guys speak of it, I do remember at least on one PES game where only attacking handballs are given, though as you say there aren't any replays or even yellow cards. I'd bet it is on PES08 PS2, but I'm 99% sure I've seen it on PSP PES as well.

@ballsinwater: I have played it's "brother", PES14 PSP - which as far as I know is the exact same game. It has tremendous value for being the very last of the PS2 PES games ever released, that alone makes it a must-have in my view. However, at least on the PSP it has less stadiums than PES11 for the same console (again, why do they remove things like that?) and you can tell that there was less attention paid to the database part of the game.
Gameplay-wise I don't see much difference between any PES from PES09-14 PSP, don't know if this applies to the PS2 but it should. I find these more arcade-y than, say, PES08 PS2; they're absolutely fun and challenging nevertheless.

@Meazza84: I'm also very interested on reading about your experience. Played a bit of it for the PSP and very much liked it.

@Madmac79: I remember them in PES3, I don't think it exists on PES5 (so far haven't gotten any...).

-------

lcqrQbW.jpg

Never stop believing, my friends! I told you, this is the power of the moustache.
More fouls than shots; ladies and gentlemen, I present you PES5. Defensively we were absolutely brilliant and we scored on our only shot on goal, a free kick from 35-40 yards out. Never scored any as good as that and probably will never do it again.

So after this incredible win we had 4 points and the first place of the group before the final fixture against China. We'd be qualified for the next round unless we lost that match and China scored four more goals than us, which was almost impossible particularly given how crappy they are. In the end, we won it 2-0 and the second goal was so ridiculous that I'm literally beginning to believe in the power of the virtual moustache: China's CB gets the ball on their box, tries to pass it short to a teammate, another one gets in front of the passing lane so it hits his leg, the ball gets a weird bounce, hits the post past a helpless keeper and it's in. Curiously, China was harder to beat than Spain though.

y02GaDa.jpg

On the round of 16 we faced Ecuador. Not the strongest team but, in theory, they were much better than Latvia.

qqKyFk7.jpg

To the quarter-finals we go! C-can we do this?
Again I ask all Retro-PESers to send positive vibes to our Latvian friends.

International Cup Quarter-finals

Ky9yYe5.jpg

yep, this is the end. My Latvian friends fought bravely but Croatia was far more efficient. Not even the moustaches saved us this time...

Next challenge: Slovakia.

@geeeeee That's brilliant :LOL:

This is the sort of cut scene I can imagine the Konami of the time having in retro PES.

Hahahaha.....This is from Greece. Additional to that we are a third world country, there is an extra tip here:
The away team in Yellow-Black is "Ergotelis". The home team in crimson red is AEL (Larissa). I assume that as happens in many stadiums in Greek league, the medics are usually local citizens of the city of each home team , resulting them being fans of the home team. Some times they are acting more as stealth hooligans than the real hooligans themselves.
This explains this behaviour to the injured player, who is from away team. Basically this and the fact that they were a little bit more goofy!
It is also obvious and comical, on 00:11 of the video the first medic with the green t-shirt, the first action he is doing is not to go care the injured player, but runs to the home team player (AEL) who is angry and screams, and tries to calm him down in order to protect him from taking a booking yellow/red card for complaining intensively.

Last edited:
The right retro-PES game to install is...all of them! Anyway, PES4 is underappreciated in my opinion. Yes the game is very fast and the shooting is a bit weird but overall it never fails to entertain me.

do not feel it this time around.., made we9le up and running, enjoy it more atm :THINK::D

PES 2008 PSP

Found something interesting regarding AI scripting. We all know it exists, but just how much? This may be just a fluke, but during my current Master League with the Spurs, the games seem more free flowing. So what I do is start my Master League game normally, then after it starts, I quit. I then reload the save and start the game again, but this time play it. I don't know if restarting the game "tricks" the AI to avoid or minimize scripting, but so far is seems to be working through 10 games. Before I could hardly ever get wins by more than 1 goal, or losses. I have lost 5-1 to Liverpool, beat Fulham 4-2, beat Everton 2-0, and lost to Arsenal 2-0. The other games of been close or ties. But the main thing is how the game plays! It just looks like the players are playing to their trues abilities.

Again, I could be totally wrong about this, but to me it feels different!

Hey all.

Is there a way to get PES6 to work on PC with a DualShock 4 at all?
Pairing it with Bluetooth (directly from Control Panel/Settings). No third party programs whatsoever. Works really fine, but you need to configure the layout in setting and you can't see the battery indicator.

Fellow retro-PESsers, was there snow in PES4? I remember it on PES5 but am almost sure it didn't exist beforehand.

Last edited:
Id like to share the work I did on Winning Eleven 6 J league I translated as much as I could including all player names there was some issues with the club team names due to text space and you will notice during the match intro 2 teams have a bit of a mess up in the team photo scene but otherwise its good to go.

I did this on PCSX2 (the game runs a lot better than any other pes title weirdly) and included the option files its decent game worth a couple of games on at least if you are looking to play something different plus the AI are pretty good to play against so just download throw it on PCSX2 and play no need for anything else

https://mega.nz/#!slo0AK6A

KEY FOR DL - tk9FrpXV5YQe1VyKKUedjIC1wj_tF0h15MIFW4MIeik

JLEAGUE2.jpg
JLEAGUE4.jpg
JLEAGUE3.jpg
JLEAGUE1.jpg

JLEAGUE.jpg
JLEAGUE6.jpg
JLEAGUE5.jpg
Hi, is there meant to be a option file with this or is it just a .bin file because i've got the game working (after it not working with a european bios) but none of the players names are in english

As promised, I will write about my experience playing PES 2012 for PS2. Here are the goals from the tournament we finished yesterday, the video can serve as a good example of the gameplay:

(I will focus on the differences between PES 6 and this particular game.)

1) dribbling: It's both easier and more difficult in an odd way. It's more difficult because it's harder to pull off some moves that are easy in PES 6, like shielding the ball by turning your back to your opponent. So when you aren't running with the ball you should use R2 a great deal more when you are facing your opponent compared to PES 6. But the easy part is when you sprint with the ball: it sticks to your player's feet like glue, especially when he changes direction in full speed, so much so that the animations look funny because of that. You can clearly see that in several occasions in the video above. Even not so gifted players like Matri or Abate seem to be unstoppable when they have a little space to run.

2) defending: It's way more difficult. I haven't yet figured out what exactly I should do to stop an opposition player. It's difficult because it's unpredictable. The best way for me was to either wait and barely move at all or to do the opposite and press with as many players as I can at the same time. One-on-one defending is extremely difficult to pull off for me. The defenders won't focus on the ball when you press X, they would sometimes keep a little distance from it (or they can't get the angle right) so it becomes very risky to do because if you press X and the opposition player dashes forward you are likely to stay way behind him and allow a big goal chance. And since the ball sticks to their feet like crazy there isn't much you can do if you allow a lot of space. If anybody has mastered the defense in this game, please teach me.

3) shooting is pretty similar, but there is one thing I particularly like: the animations of the net when you score a goal. I'm in love with those beautiful nets. 😍

4) passing: first-touch passes are slower so it's more difficult to do a one-two pass successfully, which I think is probably good for the gameplay.

(I haven't played any PES on PS2 after PES 6, this was my first time so I don't know if this PES is the same, similar or different from PES 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 or 2014.)

I hope this was interesting. I got so interested in playing these games that I would like to try as many as I can and play many interesting tournaments to test them.

If you liked the video consider liking and/or subscribing because each subscriber is a great motivation to me to continue. :)

Back
Top Bottom