The Retro-PES Corner

Some random moments I'd like to share with you guys about my recent Winning Eleven journey:

Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution: was doing random friendlies when one of the most absurd miss I've ever seen by CPU in my gaming journey materialized in front of me:

Most shocking thing is that the guy missing isn't exactly a, uh, scrap. The magic of virtual (and real) football.. anyone can miss!

Winning Eleven 9 JL Asia Championship: Did a few more matches in the ML I started time ago. In the last game I had against Jef United, thanks to a western player with an official face I wanted to identify (just for the record, he was austrian footballer and national player Mario Haas, which I could remember in name back from World Cup 98.. when I discover some known guy "lost" in the east, for some reason it always feels wholesome to me :P) I noticed that some other team like them do at least have players names written in letters behind the shirts, so I guess getting to know your players might still be possible in most cases.

By the way, bonus moments.

Washington in all his glorious 90 in body balance (loving that in this context stats differences like this looks even more pronounced):

And in direct contrast with Zizou's disaster above, one of the best keeper's saves I've seen in the recent past:

And an evocative view at the kick off.

WE9JLAC.jpg

(also, how can you not love the eccentric kits in these games? They probably are half the reason why J-L projected an unending charm on me since the first time edition I saw!)

@Madmac79 Wow, that save was awesome! Haha, love the shoulder check as well.

So I am starting my master league tomorrow(in exhibition mode), but this time with player development. I will manually update every player for my opponents and my team before each game if they have and attribute gains or losses. It actually shouldn't take too long. Once I have their base stats accessible, it will just be a process of comparing numbers.

One neat addition will be when I end up doing international cups in between my master league games, players will be in different eras of their peak. Example, if I am 3-4 years into my ML, Ronaldo and Messi should be absolute beasts, where as the regen(older) players will be a younger, and not as skilled version of themselves. So the shape of national teams could be a lot different than in the base game.

Hi guys, I'm a fan of old Pes like you and I would like to try the exclusive ones for PS2 (Winning eleven 10, 9 Japan Championship etc.). Unfortunately I no longer have the console but it has a PC but I can't run the emulator as I want.
These are the characteristics of my PC:
Intel Core i3-4130 @ 3.4 GHZ @ 3.4GHZ
RAM 8 GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 1024 GDDR5

Can anyone help me out on the setup? Can games on this PC be emulated well?

Hi guys, I'm a fan of old Pes like you and I would like to try the exclusive ones for PS2 (Winning eleven 10, 9 Japan Championship etc.). Unfortunately I no longer have the console but it has a PC but I can't run the emulator as I want.
These are the characteristics of my PC:
Intel Core i3-4130 @ 3.4 GHZ @ 3.4GHZ
RAM 8 GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 1024 GDDR5

Can anyone help me out on the setup? Can games on this PC be emulated well?

Hi! Emulation is very CPU intensive, and your old i3 won't get you the best performance. RAM and GPU are not as important.

Generally a modern i5/i7 equivalent is recommended to get emulators to run flawlessly. Overclocking helps too, and I don't think your model of i3 can be overclocked.

PES also seems to be a bit problematic generally when emulated - perhaps a lack of specific optimisation for these games. It's prone to lag even when a high powered CPU is used.

Having said that, a combination of OpenGL hardware settings and disabling frame-limiting (which weirdly doesn't seem to make the game run faster than 60fps) seems to fix any lag issues I have. I have a 2013 i7 processor though.

emu-settings.JPG
GPU-plugin.JPG

@Madmac: Amazing stuff. The J-League stadiums are delicious, particularly those smaller ones. How's WE8LE compared to PES4?

@reinelt97: Far from it, I'm very average. But one thing that helps a lot is the fact that I know these players like the back of my hand, as well as a few of the best players on the other teams. That's a big advantage, considering the huge effect of player stats on the simulation in retro-PES games, especially PES5.
Oh, and the Kampfgeist mentality is a must! :D (I don't think I'll ever replace this sponsor...)

-------

2 matches to go until the end of the season, and we're up against Copenhagen. ML United gets the first league win of the 2nd half of the season (2-0) and Bruxelles loses their match against Djurgardens, which means we're now 3 points ahead of Bruxelles before the league-decider last fixture against them. Because of our worse goal average, in order to get promoted to the D1, we couldn't lose but a win or even a draw sufficed, right? Well, I was wrong. Turns out Djurgardens made The Great Escape and climbed from near bottom of D2, where they were when the 1st half of the season ended...(take a look):

nS6fIYr.jpg

...to sitting just ONE POINT away from ML United's 2nd place before the last fixture!

So, unless I was too confident on Rosenborg winning the match vs. Djurgardens, I had to win the game against Bruxelles.
It was a fair fight with few if any clear chances on goal on either end from the start. At halftime, it's 0-0 and Rosenborg is winning 1-0. At halftime, we're on the D1 next season. But there's 45 mins more to be played...
...yet our game ends 0-0, neither team able to do much to threaten the opponent's goal. I wait for the final whistle to see whether my players will be effusively celebrating a nil-nil...
...and they do, which can only mean one thing:

ML United is promoted to the D1!!!

b9bcPH3.jpg

I won only one match on the 2nd half of the season but that was enough to secure this historic result.
The main secret of this achieving was winning a lot of matches up until the winter break, which got us a comfortable lead over our competitors early on. Just like on my previous Boavista ML, the CPU stepped up its game massively on the 2nd half of the season and we struggled a lot; however with a few precious draws here and there, as well as some help by the other CPU teams, we somehow held on tight.

Now, what's next? I'll be playing on a league filled with the best Other League sides, whilst still relying on the Minandas and Castolos. We'll be having to double our dose of Kampfgeist :D
No one is retiring yet, so I can't bring in more Defaults (but looking at their statsheets, even if I could, I wouldn't want to...); however, our successful journey is been having a very positive impact mainly on our youngsters, as the likes of Jaric, Libermann, Ruskin and Ordaz have been improving their attributes a lot - Ruskin particularly improved more on just half a season than on almost 15 years of my PES08 ML save.

I've set up three Pre-Season matches up against three of our D1 rivals, Lisbonera, Porto and Esportiva, the three Portuguese clubs, in order to try to figure out whether we're actually ready for the D1 action next year.

Until then, I'll probably temporarily get back on the Underdog World Cup horse, and after winning the World Cup with Latvia (:D) I'll be back home to the Defaults, and to a promising adventure which has been filled with drama and, goes without saying, has been tremendously enjoyable.

@miguelfcp Congratulations, That's some achievement in the first season! :) Just six seasons less than my last try on here. :LOL: Ironically enough it was probably Djurgardens incredible run of form that took those three points from Bruxelles and Athenakos that would have seen them pip you for second place. 16 pts from 7 games, that's a hell of a run from 2nd bottom! It will be interesting to see if they go up next season.

Ive rebuilt shollyms 2012 classic patch to my specs and gameplay plus added more teams he was missing because it was 8 years ago, will post up some pics and videos of the matches im playing , spent 7 hours playing every world cup final from 1954 with my mate and we are now sorted for lockdown gaming

what do you guys use to record gameplay footage?

Ive rebuilt shollyms 2012 classic patch to my specs and gameplay plus added more teams he was missing because it was 8 years ago, will post up some pics and videos of the matches im playing , spent 7 hours playing every world cup final from 1954 with my mate and we are now sorted for lockdown gaming

what do you guys use to record gameplay footage?

I'm using OBS player. It's user-friendly, good and free. :)

Now, firstly, let me say that I love that incorrect decisions are in the game and what a lovely knock down and finish from the AI but SERIOUSLY lino! :LOL:

First two bits are stills, of the point of contact, then a view to see just how far the guy who heads it back is offside, then the action plays out. Also love how the keeper reacts as if the guy's going to head for goal and goes to ground.

@goalgerd I use either Nvidia or the windows built in game bar. I find the nvidia one sometimes seems to hang a bit if I've recorded a fair bit (say 15 mins+) Not always by any means but it has done a few times. Not had that problem with the windows one.

@mattmid what the actual fuck :SHOCK:. I played a lot of Pes 2013 and I have no memory about offside errors of this gigantic proportion. Would like to know if it'll happen more times. Looks really weird.

@miguelfcp I like it more than Pes 4. Some new animations (some I can recognize from WE 9), surely a sharper and more varied AI. I have the memory of a long ass and pretty challenging ML back in the days, maybe I'll revive it somewhere in the future. Congrats on the promo :) !

@geeeeee loved it, very nice try by the AI. 2008 truly manages to make it look humanlike in a lot of occasions. Reminds a little bit (although in a very different fashion) how the cpu tried to lob me from way out of the box in his twin J-L WE 2008 some time ago:

So fun to see the cpu trying so many creative and different solutions :).

@mattmid what the actual fuck :SHOCK:. I played a lot of Pes 2013 and I have no memory about offside errors of this gigantic proportion. Would like to know if it'll happen more times. Looks really weird.

Mad isn't it! As it played out I thought it was going to be one of those where the player goes off celebrating then stops as he sees the flag up, but no.

Absolutely loving 2013 I have to say. So much so that I've started a new 19/20 Youth OF which I'll do for both Pes6 and 13.

Did you play much ML on it? I'd love to get the file full of the youth teams and play one out. I did notice in a brief look at it some nonsense about boots giving boosts to players (Konami, why on why) but I guess you can just not use those.

Can't believe Konami took out the basic league mode though, they are beyond belief sometimes with their decisions!

Hello guys, I'm new here. I played ISS and older PES growing up. What are my options to play the J-league on the pc? I have PES 2013 which is nice but a bit too slow for my taste. Or perhaps it's me who sucks but the passes and shots lack some weight and players are sluggish. I'm also looking to play the Japanese league.

Thanks in advance

Mad isn't it! As it played out I thought it was going to be one of those where the player goes off celebrating then stops as he sees the flag up, but no.

Absolutely loving 2013 I have to say. So much so that I've started a new 19/20 Youth OF which I'll do for both Pes6 and 13.

Did you play much ML on it? I'd love to get the file full of the youth teams and play one out. I did notice in a brief look at it some nonsense about boots giving boosts to players (Konami, why on why) but I guess you can just not use those.

Can't believe Konami took out the basic league mode though, they are beyond belief sometimes with their decisions!

I played several ML seasons back in the days. I remember a lot of fun. Starting with the defaults and climb was both a nightmare and very rewarding at the same time.

You are also correct, unfortunately they filled ML with boots and some other gadget that used to give boosts to your players.. luckily, if my memory serves me well you can safely ignore it all tho :) (unless you see some boost that would be fit for your player, then it kinda comes in handy tbh).

And yes, removing league was the typical Konami nonsense! Never understood what was going on in their mind when they used to butcher nonchalantly that kind of stuff from year to year.

Hello guys, I'm new here. I played ISS and older PES growing up. What are my options to play the J-league on the pc? I have PES 2013 which is nice but a bit too slow for my taste. Or perhaps it's me who sucks but the passes and shots lack some weight and players are sluggish. I'm also looking to play the Japanese league.

Thanks in advance

Ps2 emulation I guess? I don't know many pure J-League projects for pc, except for the most recent versions. Hopefully somebody else might be able to point something out.

For those that like to play retro PES with retro seasons, I uploaded an OF I made for PES 6 that is including Serie A 1990-91 season and a few european cub teams from that year:

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-6-option-file-serie-a-1990-91.82403/#post-3512879

Yesterday I played as Inter vs Milan in this file, there were many world class players in the game like Brehme, Matthäus, van Basten, Baresi etc. Directly after that, I tried the Amador project that I found here for the first time and noticed the extreme difference from the first passes on: Instead of playing a top team with some of the best players of all times it was like the good old days playing football with your friends, trying to score a goal like Zidane in the CL final and talking about being Ronaldo, Baggio or Totti but already having struggle with easy passes and everything is done at a very low pace as nobody is in good shape... What a great idea, it is amazing to see how much love PES 6 still gets and with how much passion it is being edited. This game will never be boring. Many thanks to all those that were involved in this project!

@mattmid yes i love those types of shots. If i remember 2013 had some great daisy cutters too.

I enjoyed this goal from Castolo against Sheff U in the D2 cup. We were 3-0 down and Castolo got one back from a great run and shot by Minanda. But this got me fist pumping. I loved the perseverance from Burchet...

I forgot to add that it finished 3-2 so we have 2 away goals to take into the 2nd leg.

Last edited:
Been going at PES 2012 all week. This game is giving me a sentimental feeling, As i haven't played this properly since 2012, It's soundtrack is obviously making me nostalgic but it reminds me how much i adored this coming off of the refreshing 2011.

I remember my best friend at the time whom i had successfully pulled away from the teet of FIFA's busom for a short while to show him another way of seeing the world via PES 2011. He loved this game and couldn't believe how much PES has grown up and changed since the (At the time, "Stale") PS2 version. He talked about PES 2011 like the nerdy girl next door with the potential for attraction but was so out of touch with personal fashion who returned as a blossomed enigma whom drew all the boys to her table in the classroom.

Though PES 2011 was what PES knew how to do best as a compromise, Balance Fun with simulation, I knew PES 2012 was going to a be a more serious affair and i couldn't wait, The leaked demo that was molested and explored to the disapproval of Konami and spoiled the party of early demo's for the rest of us from then on out though i learned by assumptions were true, We were getting a slower game with better animations, Boxed goal nets were back fin-fucking-ly and fans started to wear the teams jersey in the crowd.

I presented the demo to him like a surefire winning pitch because, well being young then and needing validation from your peers; I couldn't wait to show off this brand new holy grail of football - And he hated it. That's when i learned there would be two types of people in the world. Those who want respectful realism and those who want to play with their eyes closed and feel like 11 Pele's.

Anyway, My point is on the sentiment of being sentimental - That after being deep in the DVD's of PS2 PES for the last few months, Playing a modern game like 2012 by comparison takes some real acclimatisation. This is part of PES we all look forward to and what i miss the most...

The transitional period, The learning curve of a new PES.

Once again it's another win for Retro PES, Another example of the fulfilment this hobby provides. Old always feels new. A good repetitive cycle. At first when i started playing it this week, I thought i had made a mistake...

"This isn't as good as i thought it was going to be..." and "Somethings wrong with this, not me..."

I couldn't create a single chance let alone score a goal. I was getting my arse delivered to me plastic bags on regular difficulty and i was about to dismiss it like Club Football 2005 as nothing more than a transitional distraction, Then it clicked.

The first rule of Fight Club PES is that you don't play the new one the same way you play the old ones.

I was riding PES 6 hard for the prior 2 months (as well as FIFA 11 & 14 of things) and your habits in those titles sure aint gonna fly in this game. Once i started getting my head down and understanding the basics of PES 2012's mechanics and start respecting it's ethos, It clicks.

Also, This isn't PES 2011 v2.0 - This is a deeper tribute to the sport of kings with even more of those little things that happen in between the goals and the saves. It's the little animations, The midfield battles, The players visibly emoting throwing their arms in the air in a huff as well as unpredictable ball physics.

I find this game tough as well as very rewarding. I score the shittiest goal and i feel like Cantona slamming his pelvic meat on the table in defiance.

I scored this wicked deflection with England the other day but i captured it because i liked the way Schwarzer committed one way, Realised he had a split second to readjust and deny it but wasn't able to get a strong enough hand on it to keep it out. Very realistic and satisfying at the same time.

I've just watched the videos. :SHOCK: What in the name of god is this gameplay?? The AI plays so human-like.

its my phoenix patch gameplay from when i worked with those guys for 3 years, i use a mix of edited stats and correct formations with defensive lines etc to make a more realistic gameplay experience, Ive also slight OCD when it comes to individual players being correct when you play as them (theres 6 versions of diego maradona on this patch to match his whole career from 18 to 35, each with different stats to show where he is in his career for instance)

Back
Top Bottom