The Retro-PES Corner

Final fixtures have started!

Group B, Italy needs a draw to advance, Belgium needs a victory. All teams have 3 points each.

Group A, Portugal is already in the quarterfinals, England has 3 points, Romania and Germany have one point. (I'm really satisfied with the game England vs Romania, I enjoyed watching it on youtube myself.)

@miguelfcp I think I got a bit frustrated with my ML because of how bad stamina was impacting my team. I picked a harder difficulty for the fun of it, but didn't realize it would mean most of my players couldn't play 2 consecutive games in a row, or start with depleted stamina. So I just restarted my ML for the 4th time in the last year!? I feel like I am playing Skyrim again...

This time I decided to start on normal ML difficulty because I remember stamina wasn't affected as much. I also recall CPU teams aren't affected by stamina between games so I wanted to get things as fair as possible.

Just curious to those who play ML, do you alter starting points? And does that affect every season? I started with 5000 points during my newest ML and am starting in a 2nd tier league so I don't have as many games to acquire points. My current wage bill is almost 14000, so I may have to sell some players in the first window. Hopefully not Bale or Modric, as I really do want to see them stay as Spurs.

So sadly this ended up being Traore’s last contribution for us. A beautiful run and cross...

In his only season for us he finished div 2 top scorer with 9. Failure to get promotion meant that it would be inevitable that he would leave.

Just look at the offers...

1585960779054.jpeg
1585960810644.jpeg
1585960836992.jpeg

In the end we and he agreed terms with Manchester City...

1585960936970.jpeg

That meant we had to get a replacement quick, so we picked up...

1585961039028.jpeg

Bryan Gil, a young pacey winger. It will be so hard to fit into Traore’s boots. Our first game was at home v Newcastle and this is the winner...

:)

So a great start from him and the best way to get the fans on your side. Straight away though you sense that Leeds style of play will change without the brute force of Traore.

It is so easy to get attached to players in this game, i bet if there was ever a pub quiz with the question ‘What teams did Adama Traore play for?’ I would answer Leeds :LOL:

There were also some interesting transfers pre season...

1585961583202.jpeg
1585961612287.jpeg
1585961647625.jpeg

Last edited:
May i also add that the Murray and Ronaldo that Ajax have bought are both the teenage version. Will be interesting to see how that develops.

What is your difficulty level and ML settings?

From what i can remember without checking...

Match Difficulty - Regular, as i am still finding it a challenge at the moment.

Transfer Frequency - High which is good because i find at the medium setting teams tend to buy back their players that have retired. For example normally Ronaldo would have retired and gone back to Juventus a season later.

Also i am getting realistic offers for my players. In that last transfer window i got 2 offers for Jack Clarke. One from Ajax and one from Villa who offered me Zurkowski as part of the deal. But after letting Traore go i had to say no.

There is also a bug with some early offers but not game breaking. For some reason when teams first came in for Traore they all offered £0. But after rejecting them, other teams came in with realistic offers. It happened in another season also with a different player.

Time - 15 mins

Other settings -
i will check later today as i cannot remember.

Great articles Miguel, I truly adore your writing style. I particularly liked your Contra-Corona piece, Really brightened up my morning and also serves a great brochure to the many ways to enjoy Retro PES, There's essentially something there for everyone. I also forget myself how much there is to do and that i must kick start a J-League myself sometime!

Funnily enough, No 10 which refers to playing other games that have slipped by, I actually started the GTA trilogy the other day, All downloaded on Steam, Starting with GTA 3. The first PS2 game i got with my console for Christmas back in 2001, and hadn't played it since Vice City came out, Then i didn't touch VC ever since SA came out... When we're younger we get into the habit of "discarding" older games like un-needed keys on a Resident Evil game, Thinking it's obsolete - The new & updated vision is out now! But just like Retro PES, This games are more than just build numbers or revisions, They each have their own sense of character and identity.

When it comes to non sports games, and this might sound silly... But i consider them places, Virtual Worlds. Like how people might get nostalgic for a real world destination or holiday they visited at one point in their life and would like to return there at some point like a Paris or Rome with recognisable architecture and memories, For me Video games are the same thing.

Nearly 20 years have passed since i visited Liberty City in GTA 3, But booting it up again and being greeted with the sights and sounds of that game whirled up all sorts of emotions, I was a kid when i last played, I lived at home with my late parents and life and the world was very different, Yet for a fleeting hour it can all come back. The map is burned into my mind, it's a little bigger than i gave it credit for but above all else, It's a lot of fun in both it's art and it's simplicity.

Are you using the ML defaults? What is their ranking?

I was using Leeds with their own players so there are some that are ranked D and C so that may be why.

I will check the others settings i have when I get a chance and get back to you.

Thanks @geeeeee

I'll check my settings too. Yes, I started out with the defaults with an edited PES United. I now have several players rated A,B etc but never get any offers, even when I transfer list them.

@Special4988: It's been a long while since my last PES08 PSP ML adventure but on the PS2, the stamina system is somewhat bearable, even when one gets to the D1 and has a more busy calendar (also with the WEFA competitions). The guys with the most stamina (Defaults' Stein, for example) can pretty much handle playing almost all of the matches, the whole 90 min of each even.

As for your starting points, on my recent PES5 Boavista ML I believe I started with 8000 and ended the first season with about 14.000. If the PES Points system is the same on PES08, you might really have to sell a few players right away to keep things afloat...or perhaps winning both competitions (D2 and D2 Cup) might do the trick.

I used to rely more on changing the starting points, nowadays I just go with it unchanged, if I fail and it's game-over, then let it be. Adds another layer of difficulty and drama anyway.

@geeeeee: That goal is Retro-PES Goal of the Week material! (By the way, it'd be cool if we got enough people to participate to bring this competition back...)

@MafiaMurderBag: Really appreciate it man. The little I've played of those J-League titles showed me that the games' formula is one that I've been mentioning for years: lower player stats make up for a more chaotic, realistic, less robotic football experience. The thing is, those J-League players are almost always not excellent, yet..they're not awful either: they're somewhere in between, which is great for the simulation.

Exactly: if I can understand those who discard retro-sports games because the rosters are, they say, "old" (whereas we believe it's a living, breathing, playable encyclopedia), there's just no excuse to say no to a non-sports retro game when each has its own specific storyline, as well as the unique environment (from gameplay to audio/visuals) that you mention. It has to be just prejudice. Yet, I was on the same boat as you, probably just like everyone: we were taught from a very young age that all games eventually become unworthy of playing, which is totally false - an idea that comes in very handy for he who wants to sell you a game, anyway. In this case it's just like rejecting, say, reading Hemingway because some new book came out in 2020, so it's more recent and I'll read that instead. And we are the ones supposed to be the weirdos...

I absolutely get what you're saying. An interesting idea: as modern games' graphics improve to a point where they're practically a carbon copy of reality, unless they specifically go for some unique look, they'll have less artistic diversity than these retro games. Back then they just didn't have our technology so in order to "imitate reality", each game had to forge its own path to somehow provide the player an environment that doesn't exactly look like the real deal, but is as far as possible as the developers could go on that regard. They had to get creative because their tools were very limited. This is why each time I load a PS2 game it's as if I'm on a museum looking at a beautiful painting and I decide to enter the picture. And just like beautiful paintings, some of those games' graphics are so unique and memorable they are unforgettable to me.

We have all the quarterfinalists now.

Group C, everything went as expected...

No goals were scored in group D in the final matchday. The Dutch haven't conceded a single goal so far but they haven't scored from active play, just one free kick goal by Bergkamp in the first game. I don't why they are so uninspired, there is no chemistry whatsoever between Kluivert and Bergkamp and the rest of the team. It's the good thing their back line is working perfectly and that's what got them in the Quarter finals.

Screenshot_103.jpg

Last edited:
@miguelfcp truly great articles as always, man. Reading the Andorra run was super fun! In a nice retro-coincidence :D , in the past weeks I've found some twitter accounts dedicated to revive Championship Manager 97-98 (the precursor of FM) and as back in the days I was in deep love with that game, I've ended up reinstalling it and starting a run just for fun. It's much more simple and direct than the modern stuff but there still is an incredible depth, of course. Would like to post the link to the whole project it but I have no idea if it's fine since there is also the complete game up to download.

Also loved the contra-corona guide. Regarding the J-League, I'm currently playing on and off both WE 8 and WE9 J-League Championship and it's truly another universe. More errors, more situations, more scrappy football. Only barrier, is that with players names completely written in japanese, it's a bit difficult to stick with it- once I get through thanks to trial and error I have no problems with the menus and the such, but growing fond of the players and imagine all the stories that usually arise from an heated ML it's hard when you can't properly name them.

By the way, I'm completely on the same line as you and @MafiaMurderBag on the general retro stuff opinion. The old games are invaluable. Titles like Mario 64, Doom 2, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, or even Super Mario Bros (especially 3) if I really have to delve in my infancy.. I load them up today and as perfectly put up by Mafia, I can picture myself exploring their worlds, whatever it is thoroughly descripted, or just hinted and tinted with misteries you had to fill in yourself with an almost tounched charm.

In a parallel fashion, talking again about past football games, I've come to see all the old, worthy titles more as systems in which recreate football, than just generic games to beat. A lot of past Pes (or Fifas, even if on a smaller scale) hold characteristics unique to each other, be it in gameplay, in visuals or in modes. And that's why reproducing football in one or another feels like a fresh, valuable experience :) .

Regarding GTA , i own GTA I for PSone, Vice City and San andreas old editions on my old desktop, The Steam Versions of III, Vice City , San Andreas and IV on my "new" laptop and GTA V on ps4.

First comes first the steam versions of 3,VC and SA are at best bad optimised for new era systems, or at worst they are money-grab half-arsed. Whoever will play San Andreas on steam will see thr irritating bug that the mouse and latter the keyboard gets defunctinal sometimes and you need to spam ESC pauses and save and restart.

Despite this, The biggest pineapples of pc VC and SA are:
No2 the mouse aiming which is more comfortable for weapon combat (although driving and piloting is better with gamepad)

And the NO1 and best of the best feature that removes 50% of the magic on console , The MP3 player! !!! Having thousands of my music tracks and listening to them when "hustlin" around areas. Tons of tons of choices, rock, metal, heavy metal, rap, rnb, house, electric music, always depending and according to the current mood.
The mp3 player on PC makes the game 2 times better.

Bonus Hint: if you can still live with no mp3, there is a nice Vice City spinn-off, i think it is a prequel with Lance??? It is available for either PS2 or PSP. If it is on ps2 and your emulator is goodd enough, try it.

Edit : It is for both platforms.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto:_Vice_City_Stories

Last edited:
As the PES versions 2011-2014 pretty much passed me by as I wasn't playing much PES at the time other than the demos, the last 2-3 days I've been getting into PES 2013 (PC). Really enjoying it. So much so that I've tinkered around with converting a couple of my PES 6 Option files to get them into the PES 2013 editor.

One of those is the Youth League OF that myself and @miguelfcp created last year. I've got 32 teams into the 2013 option file to play out a UEFA Champions League campaign. Although with me still getting to grips with what's to me a new game and some schoolboy defending on my part it may be a campaign that starts and ends for me in the group stages!

Here's the groups (remember these are all Under 19 teams - or at least the players in them were last season, some will now be 20 in real life)

* I have since amended the English non licensed team names from when I took this screenshot.

groups.JPG

I am playing as Lyon as this was the team I managed in our Youth League so I know them fairly well.

I'll make some predictions for fun based on what I've seen during the PES6 version. So here's my pick for qualifiers from each group and we'll see how I do!

A) Arsenal, Milan
B) Chelsea, PSG (should be Lyon if I wasn't playing as them!)
C) Atalanta, Feyenoord
D) Bayern, Benfica (Group of death!)
E) Real Madrid, Lazio
F) Ajax, Tottenham
G) Juventus, Man Utd (Napoli are a bit of an unknown as I don't recall ever playing as them or against them)
H) Inter, Man City

My top three picks to win it all would be: Atalanta, Bayern and Chelsea.

As those who were involved in the Manager league we did know all to well, Atalanta have a youth team of some quality.

First up for me was home to CFR Cluj, easily the weakest team in the group, so with me expecting problems against the other two it was really a must win game.

Well, so much for that!

Some poor defending and then the keeper making a poor decision to come out for the free kick and getting nowhere near it. It could have been worse but for the sitter they put wide. Defensive mistakes aside it was there to be won. In the other match in the group PSG and Chelsea shared the points in a 2-2 draw so that was helpful.
Next up is away to one of the teams that should be in the hunt for the Trophy, Chelsea, and a much better performance is required.

Results elsewhere

Group A

Marseille 0-3 Arsenal
AC Milan 2-1 Valencia

Group C
Atalanta 2-1 Everton
Feyenoord 5-0 Zenit St P.

Group D
Bayern 3-2 Liverpool
Benfica 4-2 Barcelona

Group E
Lazio 2-0 West Ham
Roma 2-1 Real Madrid

Group F
Ajax 1-5 Tottenham :SHOCK: I'm genuinely shocked by that scoreline! @geeeeee - Parrot scored! ;)
Porto 1-0 Torino

Group G
Juventus 1-0 Man Utd
Napoli 2-1 FC Copenhagen

Group H
Inter 2-1 Man City
Brugge 2-2 Celtic

Some interesting first night scores, none more so that Tottenham's stunning win in Amsterdam! Benfica and Bayern take the initiative in Group D's group of death in a race that will surely go to the last day.

After Matchday 1

Top Scorers

All with 2

Nyerges CFR Cluj
Summerville Feyenoord
Nobrega Benfica
Richards Tottenham
Openda Brugge

Assists

All with 2

Cottrell Arsenal
Evina Bayern
Bowden Tottenham
McInroy Celtic

I also just realised I forgot to get Monaco into the OF, a shame because they have one of the best youth teams in the file as well.

As the PES versions 2011-2014 pretty much passed me by as I wasn't playing much PES at the time other than the demos, the last 2-3 days I've been getting into PES 2013 (PC). Really enjoying it. So much so that I've tinkered around with converting a couple of my PES 6 Option files to get them into the PES 2013 editor.

One of those is the Youth League OF that myself and @miguelfcp created last year. I've got 32 teams into the 2013 option file to play out a UEFA Champions League campaign. Although with me still getting to grips with what's to me a new game and some schoolboy defending on my part it may be a campaign that starts and ends for me in the group stages!

Here's the groups (remember these are all Under 19 teams - or at least the players in them were last season, some will now be 20 in real life)

* I have since amended the English non licensed team names from when I took this screenshot.

View attachment 36425

I am playing as Lyon as this was the team I managed in our Youth League so I know them fairly well.

I'll make some predictions for fun based on what I've seen during the PES6 version. So here's my pick for qualifiers from each group and we'll see how I do!

A) Arsenal, Milan
B) Chelsea, PSG (should be Lyon if I wasn't playing as them!)
C) Atalanta, Feyenoord
D) Bayern, Benfica (Group of death!)
E) Real Madrid, Lazio
F) Ajax, Tottenham
G) Juventus, Man Utd (Napoli are a bit of an unknown as I don't recall ever playing as them or against them)
H) Inter, Man City

My top three picks to win it all would be: Atalanta, Bayern and Chelsea.

As those who were involved in the Manager league we did know all to well, Atalanta have a youth team of some quality.

First up for me was home to CFR Cluj, easily the weakest team in the group, so with me expecting problems against the other two it was really a must win game.

Well, so much for that!

Some poor defending and then the keeper making a poor decision to come out for the free kick and getting nowhere near it. It could have been worse but for the sitter they put wide. Defensive mistakes aside it was there to be won. In the other match in the group PSG and Chelsea shared the points in a 2-2 draw so that was helpful.
Next up is away to one of the teams that should be in the hunt for the Trophy, Chelsea, and a much better performance is required.

Results elsewhere

Group A

Marseille 0-3 Arsenal
AC Milan 2-1 Valencia

Group C
Atalanta 2-1 Everton
Feyenoord 5-0 Zenit St P.

Group D
Bayern 3-2 Liverpool
Benfica 4-2 Barcelona

Group E
Lazio 2-0 West Ham
Roma 2-1 Real Madrid

Group F
Ajax 1-5 Tottenham :SHOCK: I'm genuinely shocked by that scoreline! @geeeeee - Parrot scored! ;)
Porto 1-0 Torino

Group G
Juventus 1-0 Man Utd
Napoli 2-1 FC Copenhagen

Group H
Inter 2-1 Man City
Brugge 2-2 Celtic

Some interesting first night scores, none more so that Tottenham's stunning win in Amsterdam! Benfica and Bayern take the initiative in Group D's group of death in a race that will surely go to the last day.

After Matchday 1

Top Scorers

All with 2

Nyerges CFR Cluj
Summerville Feyenoord
Nobrega Benfica
Richards Tottenham
Openda Brugge

Assists

All with 2

Cottrell Arsenal
Evina Bayern
Bowden Tottenham
McInroy Celtic

I also just realised I forgot to get Monaco into the OF, a shame because they have one of the best youth teams in the file as well.

I want to like this post, but I can't and I think you know why.

Batugol doesn't forgive and he doesn't forget.

Kidding! Looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

@sniglet :D Things will be corrected with a "Europa League" (not that it's in the game, but Konami cup anway!) afterwards where Zagreb are hotly tipped to do well. At least as long as I don't decide to take control of them anyway :LOL:

Match Day 2

Defensive frailties were again in evidence and capitalised on in what was a much stronger test than the Cluj game. The second goal is just an embarrassment! Hudson-Odoi was a handful throughout as was Redan up front. Further forward it was a struggle to create anything of note bar a late shot that produced a good save from the Chelsea keeper. In the end I was quite pleased to keep it to 3-0 with some improved defending in the second half.

Good news in from Romania though as Cluj and PSG drew 2-2 to help keep my hopes alive. If we all work together I'm sure I can still qualify. :D If I can beat PSG things will look a lot healthier assuming that Chelsea beat Cluj. It will be a big upset if they don't and not just for me.

For now, Chelsea with 4pts are top on goal difference from Cluj with PSG in third on 2pts.

Results elsewhere...

Group A
Arsenal 1-1 AC Milan
Valencia 1-2 Marseille

Arsenal and Milan go to 4pts apiece whilst Marseille get a vital win to keep them just a point behind

Group C
Everton 2-3 Feyenoord
Zenit 0-4 Atalanta

Feyenoord keep pace with Atalanta as both move on to 6pts. If Everton and Zenit draw in match 3 then the qualification from the group will look all but settled at the half way point

Group D
Liverpool 0-2 Benfica
Barcelona 1-2 Bayern

Benfica and Bayern both made it 2 from 2 with great away wins. If there's a winner when they meet next then that team will be looking nailed on for a place in the last 16. Meanwhile both Barcelona and Liverpool will be desperate to win their game and hope for a draw in the other one.

Group E
West Ham 0-1 Roma
Real Madrid 3-0 Lazio

Roma make it 6 points from 6 with a 1-0 away win at West Ham. Real Madrid get on the board with a comfortable win over Lazio

Group F
Tottenham 2-3 Porto
Torino 2-3 Ajax

Porto get a very good win away at Spurs to top Group F. Ajax get a much needed win after their shock first result to get their tournament going. Torino meanwhile look very much like the unlucky side they were in our PES6 league. Often losing by the odd goal. Plenty of time yet though for them to turn things around.

Group G
Man Utd 2-0 Napoli
Copenhagen 2-1 Juventus

Two home wins again in Group G sees all four teams on 3 points in what looks like being a wide open group. Copenhagen will be very happy with their win.

Group H
Man City 3-2 Brugge
Celtic 0-3 Inter

Inter have maximum points while a win for Man City sees them move into second place. Brugge and Celtic will need get some points quickly or this will be a 2 horse race.

Looks like I broke this game :))

0TpSzJ9.png

@Madmac79: Many thanks, Mad. I was aware of the CM01/02 project I mentioned in the article, but never heard of that 97/98 one. Isn't the game considered abandonware?

That's really the issue with those J-League games. To me, the only one. It's a shame that that guy who did the translation for Football Kingdom didn't pick up any of those titles, he clearly bet on the wrong horse...anyway, I'm planning on diving deeper on all of those J-League games in order to write a proper, informed review for each; I'll end up asking you one or two things about it since you're one of the few paving the way on this particular retro exploit.

Yep, each of these retro football games couldn't exactly reproduce reality as well as they could these days, for the technology was far more limited, so developers had to get creative to achieve something that resembled real football. Because of that, we ended up getting a stacked menu of football games for each particular taste. If you decided to play a different PS2-era football title each day for a few weeks, I have no doubts that you'd get a completely fresh experience every 24 hours. It's a blessing really.

@slamsoze: That was a mindblowing feature back then indeed. But part of the GTA charm is listening to the games' radio stations, not just to the songs but for me, especially, the commercials and talk shows. My younger self definitely wasn't able to understand most of what was being said back then so I'd always listen to the songs instead. Nowadays, on a few occasions I decided to start the game, steal some car, drive and park to a secluded location and pick up a prostitute just listen to the shows and commercials. It's bloody brilliant. Surreptitiously mordacious. I'd listen to real-life radio if there was some station doing GTA-style talk shows all the time.

Vice City Stories is one of my favourites - certainly one of the best PSP games of all time, played it there. The story is fine but the feature of building your empire is what takes the game to a whole new level.

I've already played half of the 1st season on my all-Defaults ML save in PES5.

I'll expand a bit on my adventure.
So I bought the 6-stars difficulty as well as the ML Composition feature, and used both on this save in order to create a footballing world comprised of the Premier League, a league comprised of the best French/German/Dutch teams, the Serie A+La Liga (what a superleague) and, as @geeeeee would call it, The Best of the Rest with all of the non-league sides of PES5, from Lisbonera to Caopolo, AC Czech to Bruxelles. The latter is ML United's tier.

ML United's roster is one of my most cherished of all-time, and also a squad in a transitional phase. The legendary early 00's squad is being dismantled as the likes of Celnili, Barota, Vornander and Dulic have recently retired, plus the Iougas, Minandas and Castolos are on their way out - but still are good enough to be considered important elements here. The fresh faces of Jaric, Dodo, Stein, Ordaz and Hamsun give all of the 132 ML United fans scattered around the world some hope for the future. They'd better be the real deal, for in this challenge I can't buy or sell players, and can only acquire a Default regen or future Default when one of mine retires.

The formation: usually I go with the 3-5-2 which is definitely the better fit for these players. Having used it a lot on my PES08 PS2 ML Defaults adventure, this time I wanted something different. I set up a kind of asymmetrical 4-4-2 diamond:

Ivarov; Espimas, Libermann, Jaric, Ruskin; Stein, Dodo, Ximelez, Minanda; Castolo, Ordaz.

Stein is the central DMF. Dodo plays on the "Gattuso role" as a right-side DMF, occasionally going forward but mostly preoccupied with helping Stein on the central midfield. Ximelez is the LMF but has a tendency to go inside often, whereas the King Minanda of course plays in his preferred AMF role as ML United's maestro.
Fitting Espimas on this system was the main problem. He's technically not a RB but his skillset suggests he could be decent there, so I went with it.

And how does the team look? Over the years, for some reason, I've developed a tendency to wear the defaults in black/yellow kits. It's now a kind of tradition.
I still haven't designed an emblem, am out of ideas.
Here's the home kit:

5RwvLRh.jpg

The Black symbolizes our despair in trying to play some proper football and always failing at it; the Yellow represents our piss-poor performances over the years.

Typically, I don't put any sponsors on the Defaults' kits (well, no sponsor wants anything to do with us anyway...) yet this time I opted to. I wanted to write "Retro-PES Corner" but it just didn't fit, so I went with Kampfgeist, a fake "Konamized" sponsor from circa-PES2011. "Kampfgeist" apparently means "fighting spirit": a perfect fit for the Defaults, right? We may play horribly but we give it all out there.

----------

I thought this was going to be a painful ride from the start. How wrong I was.

nS6fIYr.jpg

I've never seen the Defaults play like this. They've been brilliant. We might get promoted on the first season, it's unbelievable. We're still also on the D2 Cup after eliminating Djurgardens (1-0, 0-0) with our reserves - I decided to use the D2 to rest all of the first-teamers; probably am going to keep on using this "system". I've already gotten enough PES Pts to pay this season's salaries as well.

The Stamina system in PES5 is ruthless as we all know it so Minanda, Castolo and Ximelez barely last more than 60 minutes on the pitch. Often I sub off Minanda for Macco, playing the latter as LMF while Ximelez takes the AMF role; then Hamsun/Huylens for Castolo and, if we're holding on to a lead, then Valeny comes in as LB, Ruskin becomes a LMF while I eliminate the AMF position and put Macco as RMF, using a 4-4-2 flat; or I sub off one of the strikers and go for a 4-3-3 with 3 DMFs, subbing in Iouga. I barely ever use any other player except on the D2 Cup; so far this is working.

A little bonus:

egJRbcY.jpg

20 fouls committed by the CPU on a 15-min game! (and only two shots as well...) PES5 in a nutshell.

I think I have finally gone off the deep end fellas...

My drive to find the "perfect" ML is nearly complete. After tinkering with playing some exhibition matches with no form arrows I was amazed how the gameplay looked. I was seeing things I have never seen before in my 1000+ hours of PES gameplay. Players playing to their true ability. No AI cheating or scripting. I realized just how good this game can be (PES 2008).

Ok here is a quick overview I how I do it.

I start an actual ML with my Spurs.
- I first play the same game as I am scheduled, but in exhibition mode. So this time I played Bolton. We beat them 3-0 with 2 Bent goals and Dos Santos with a late goal.
- I then go on to my actual ML and play the game but on 5 minutes, and game difficulty on beginner. I emulated my exhibition game with Bent scoring twice and Dos Santos once. I win the game 3-0. (on beginner difficulty, you have complete control of how the game will play out)
- I then check opponent data for next game and use that as a guideline for their team selection. I then exit ML and go to edit mode, and edit their team to reflect their team sheet.
- Start the exhibition game again with no form arrows and play next scheduled team.

So a couple of other details.
- I am doing ML with high transfers frequency, but NO player development. Every transfer window I will match up in edit mode.
- I have already figured out a way to do a ML with player development on, but will try that at a later time. Basically I update all teams maybe 4 times per season. You can check every players latest attributes in the negotiation menu and select I think it is group to see each team. I have 2 PSP's so I can just compare baseline stats to changed stats to make the changes.

Player development on will be quite a bit more time consuming, but perhaps something I will try in the future. *Edit, actually instead of updating all teams all I would have to do is update the team I will play against. That will be much quicker than I originally thought.

I don't expect any sane person to play the way I do, but my true point to this post is that these classic PES games gives us the FREEDOM to play as we want.

Last edited:
@Special4988 Great stuff :) It is amazing what you can do. Like with the manager league we did I found out that the league mode is very robust in terms of what you can play around with. I started the league with the proper OF of full squads. Then each round of fixtures I loaded up the last save but with an amended OF, consisting of just the 18 players of each squad that had been selected for that match. The save loaded up fine, it even 'remembered' the goals/assists those players had scored to date in the season even if they'd not been in the OF for however many fixtures (cards was the only thing that it didn't retain) and the missing squad players each time were no problem in terms of causing a crash. Same each week, no matter which 18 players from the original squad were used it all ran fine.

@Special4988 This is hardcore. I've gone as fast as imposing 900 wage cap (might yet lower it to 700) for my own PES 2008 ML (PS2). I also restrict myself to only youth signings.

This is partly to make up for the lack of transfer offers and to keep my team from being over-powered.

@miguelfcp Great stuff. That's an impressive start.

Anyone else got any house rules they follow?

Back
Top Bottom