The Retro-PES Corner

I'm playing out the 1979/80 Home Nations tournament with my 79/80 OF on PES6. For those who don't know this used to be an end of season tournament that was played out each year between England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in a group format where each played the other once.

In the real 79/80 tournament it was Northern Ireland who won it.

The first fixtures are done...

In a tight game it was Wales who started slightly better and on 28 minutes took the lead with a great goal by Flynn. It might have been the opening goal of the competition but it will be hard pressed to be beaten for goal of the tournament. A clipped ball back from the by line by James was chested down and volleyed into the net, leaving Shilton with no chance. In a half of few chances they were able to see this lead out until half time.

Half Time 1-0.

Early on the Second half was much of the same with neither side really able to carve out clear chances. Then on 68 minutes, the ball broke kindly in the box for Johnson who rifled home a shot that Davies in the Welsh goal could not stop, although he did get a hand to it. Hoddle then had a long range drive well saved before Keegan was then played in with a chance to win it. Davies rushed out quickly though to close the angle down and made a fine save. Then there was drama in stoppage time. Wales were suddenly caught out at the back, substitute Birtles fed Keegan and he was in on goal. This time he made no mistake, driving the finish into the far corner and leaving Wales feeling hard done by to come away with nothing.

Final Score England 2 Wales 1.
M.o.M. Keegan (7)

Another tight game at Windsor Park as Northern Ireland and Scotland battled it out. It was the Irish who had the early chances but neither really troubled the keeper. It was Jennings in the Irish goal that was the first to be really worked, keeping out a Dalglish drive from the edge of the box. Then following it up with another fine save, this time from an Archibald shot. Jennings showing exactly why he is considered one of the best keepers of all time.

Half Time 0-0.

It was that man Jennings again early in the second half. This time keeping out another Dalglish chance, just getting enough on the shot to divert it wide of the post. Armstrong then powered his way though a challenge down the other end but slashed wildly at his shot sending it curling well wide in the end. On 83 minutes it was a Manchester United combination that finally broke the deadlock. McIlroy, out wide for Northern Ireland, clipped in a cross towards the back post area where McCreery met it with a fine header from around 10 yards out. Rough in the Scottish goal had no chance of getting to it. This turned out to be the decisive moment as the Irish took the win.

FT Northern Ireland 1 Scotland 0.
M.o.M McIilroy (7)

Amazing @mattmid, Pro Evolution Soccer 1980 is out! I know very little about that footballing era so I must try it out.

@MafiaMurderBag: Your videos are a blessing. I know I always ask you this, but...have any idea of what's next? :P

I know what you mean. It might be nostalgia, but I was watching the opening match of the Euro 2004 Portugal v Greece (grrrr...) the other day and I was utterly shocked by the fact that smartphones were nowhere to be seen, so whenever the broadcast showed the stadium's audience, you'd see people completely immersed in and vibrating with the match itself; even though it was only the first match of a group stage and the opponent was, theoretically, far from being a top-tier side. From a modern perspective, this was very surprising.

@reinelt97: Yep, PES08 PS2 is a classic indeed. I too didn't have offers for my players on my Defaults-only adventure, but I thought it could have something to do with the fact that they are a "special" batch of footballers.

@Meazza84: Great videos man. I'm glad we have people writing, making videos, creating patches for retro-PES, each doing his own thing, helping keeping this passion alive.

-------

I've completed the first season on my Boavista adventure in PES5.
pmxkTjS.jpg

Jorge Costa lifts the D2 trophy after a dramatic final few fixtures. We were always in control when it comes to securing promotion, but the title itself was another story. Bruxelles fought hard for it and we reached the final fixture tied on the first place, with exactly the same number of wins, draws, losses and goals scored; Bruxelles had three more goals conceded though.
The final fixture? Against...Bruxelles, of course.
We were losing twice on that matchup but tied it 2-2 and managed to win the league there. They had a freekick on the very last play of the match that missed Moreira's goal for just a few centimetres...

j4qSCG0.jpg

Now, I'm not getting any offers for my players on the transfer market, so I'll probably hold on to these guys for a while and see where they can take us.

Amazing @mattmid, Pro Evolution Soccer 1980 is out! I know very little about that footballing era so I must try it out.

@MafiaMurderBag: Your videos are a blessing. I know I always ask you this, but...have any idea of what's next? :P

I know what you mean. It might be nostalgia, but I was watching the opening match of the Euro 2004 Portugal v Greece (grrrr...) the other day and I was utterly shocked by the fact that smartphones were nowhere to be seen, so whenever the broadcast showed the stadium's audience, you'd see people completely immersed in and vibrating with the match itself; even though it was only the first match of a group stage and the opponent was, theoretically, far from being a top-tier side. From a modern perspective, this was very surprising.

Wait until I bring out the DLC :LOL: Another bane of modern life. :RANT:

People looking at their phones whilst the game is playing drives me mad. There's a game right there in front of you if you look up! Maybe you could enjoy it in the moment. Probably busy tweeting "I'm at the game". Physically maybe. Mentally and emotionally? No.

Congrats on Boavista! First attempt title win of D2 is impressive.

Let me summarize the tournament so far.

Group A: Everything is possible, except that Portugal has definitely qualified for QF. The other teams have reasonable chances, especially England who have 3 points.

Group B: Each team has 3 points. It's gonna be crazy. Italy needs a draw to advance because of the goal difference.

Group C: Yugoslavia and Spain will play against each other, Norway is out and Slovenia hopes to beat them. If Spain at least draws with Yugoslavia they advance for sure. The Yugoslavs are already in the QF.

Group D: France and Netherlands 4 points but they play each other next. Denmark has 2 points and plays with Czech Rep, which is definitely out.

Best players of the second match day:

- Italy = Del Piero. 4 goals so far.
- Trezeguet is in great form, but the French are OP really, with their physique and technique.
- Figo scored again, a real charismatic leader
- the duo Owen-Shearer is finally working
- Savo Milosevic of Yugoslavia scored again and had an assist as well
- Mendieta is Spain's best player so far, an assist in both games
- Henrik Larsson is giving new hope to the Swedes, a goal and an assist against Turkey

Thanks Miguel, That means a lot but more importantly, It's so rewarding to see Retro PES being embraced by so many while paying tribute to series that's been a part of my life more than anything else in it.

I'll be jumping into Euro 2012 next on PES 2012 which is a huge leap in terms of technology and philosophy compared to the PS2 engine games but this was when the mission was still about creating faithfully recreated football and not so much the football pokemon direction that loomed in a couple of years time. Can't wait to go into detail about PES 2012 and it's impressive inverse kinetics.

RE: Euro 2004 & smart phones... It's something i have to pinch myself and remind myself of alot whenever i watch football from the early 2000's, That the visual side of football had started to modernise, From and aesthetic and marketing standpoint.

The stadiums started getting more futuristic coming off of WC 2002 and the wonderful architecture of Portugal 2004, The iconic Silver Roterio ball, The modern and fashionable Adidas and Nike Total 90 designs of kits and boots... It felt very sci-fi and yet i have to remind myself that even colour phones were considered a luxury back then, HD wouldn't arrive until just before Germany 06 and most PC's were still white.

As i grow up with that technology revolution of the mid '00s and the 2010's it's easy to take it for granted now and forget it's only slightly older than goal line technology itself. But i concur that it's sucked a little bit of atmosphere out of the game, But also it's public gatherings of any kind. People consuming the event in front of them through their tiny screens, Filming hundreds of snapchat stories nobody gonna give a shit to watch or their attention span is so short their checking their phone despite putting it away 5 seconds before any time anything other then a dangerous attack happens.

People looking at their phones whilst the game is playing drives me mad. There's a game right there in front of you if you look up! Maybe you could enjoy it in the moment. Probably busy tweeting "I'm at the game". Physically maybe. Mentally and emotionally? No.
And this is precisely why in more intimate environments such as live music or stand up comedy, The artist insists security confiscates phones before the event in order to preserve some of the intimacy that's lost because of the insecure extroverts that must take selfies with their back to the performer while they're giving it their all.

----------------

And here is the 2nd Leg of The Semi Finals with the Goal of The Tournament competition spliced in between. 21 of the buggering candidates too, Though PES 2010 was so amazing that when i did that Goal of the Tournament video I had 24 goals, I was worried i was going to have to use a different alphabet if i didn't shorten the list.

Thanks for those tournament video's, guys, really lighting up this quarantine. A real pleasure to watch.

I am also just switching between we9le and PES6 already for a while, without even looking at the direction of newer games. And mostly coming here for this thread only recently.

@Meazza84 , as a bianconero, it makes me happy to see Del Piero and Trez both rocking in this Euro 2000 version of yours :) On a unrelated note, for some reason Turkey is a really tough nut to crack in these tournaments - I played Euro 96 a month or two ago, and Turks managed to get to the very final, only losing all the thing there!

There is a very good reason for that my friend: they ARE strong and they proved it in real life. It's the golden generation of their football which entered WC and Euro semifinals eventually. I recently watched their games against Italy 2000 and Brazil 2002 in Group A. They were as good as their opponents in those games, I was amazed at how good they were, how skillfully and bravely they played.

One of my favorite teams of those years. :)

In Euro 2000 they entered the Quarter Finals only to lose to Portugal. If Alpay hadn't got that red card who knows what would have happened...

No doubt they were really good in 2000-2002. I remember cheering for them in that semifinal versus Brazil and in 2000 they managed to leave both Belgians and Swedes behind in the tough group only to lose against impressive Portugal. Players of those teams were something as well!

In real 1996 Turks didn't do so well though: last place in their group with no goals scored. And they kicked out Italy and hosts England in my tournament :))

Yeah, you're right about that. Euro 96 was the first competition they entered and they lost all games if I remember well. But you know when you play a PES tournament anything can happen, especially if the team has decent enough players.

Finished what turns out to be my NINTH season of ML in PES 2008 (PS2), clawing back from a bad run to finish a respectable 5th. A little break from the domestic season now.

Given it's ten years ago this summer, I've decided to play a World Cup on PES 2010 (PS3). I've already played a friendly by way of a warm up. I'd forgotten what a classic this game is - a kind of hybrid between the glory years of PS5 and 6 and the best of the PS3/XBox era. That lighting! Those goal nets! That lovely weighty ball!

Not sure whether to play as England yet or to go for a random side but I do know that I'll be trying Broadcast 1 camera angle for that authentic look from the summer of vuvuzelas.

@mattmid: I've seen things I never thought I'd ever experience. For example, some girl sitting right behind the opponent's goal (on stands dedicated to Porto supporters) as Porto scores; she didn't even react. The goal is scored, she's on her phone looking down, doesn't even look up. The TV broadcast shows Porto's players celebrating, most in the stands as well, and there she is, totally ignoring the scene, with a posture screaming "I'm just so bored". Like MMB says, probably there was something much more interesting happening on her Snapchat or Instagram, like some pseudo-celebrity begging for attention and validation for the 24th time in his/her day.

@MafiaMurderBag: PES 2012: Now that's a game that I have to revisit, because unlike 2010, 11, or 13, I don't remember any of it - and sadly I lost the PS3 disk a long time ago. Plus, back then I was totally immersed in FIFA12 so I - gasp... - played more of EA's game than that particular PES.

@reinelt97: PES2010 is the type of game that I believe will be considered a classic not so much for the overall gameplay, but for how much character it has, not just on the visual side of things but when it comes to its particular "brand" of football, which is totally unique, like it or not. It's a work of art full of personality.
A while ago I had a blast playing World Cups with really poor teams like North Korea, Uzbekistan and the like...if that's your thing, a bloody hard challenge, I definitely recommend it. The game shines a lot more when using weak teams.

Even though this could be considered retro-PES ADHD, a change of plans.
I was browsing the PES5 Shop last night and found out I already had enough points to buy the 6-stars difficulty as well as the thing that allows you to customize the participating teams on your ML. Then, I had an idea: a Master League Defaults save using only the Defaults - similar to what I did in PES08 PS2 - but, here's the twist; not only I can't buy any real players whatsoever, I can't buy newgens either. I can only buy a Default once one retires. The players I can buy:
- Past or future defaults: from Vornander/Dulic to El Moubarki/Gutierrez
- regens of my defaults (Minanda, Ivarov, etc.)

So, in short, I'll start with the Defaults and I can't buy or sell players ever, having to stick with this roster for as long as possible. When one retires, I can buy another from that list of players above mentioned.

I played a couple of matches and so far, 2 wins against AC Czech and Djurgardens, two of the weakest teams in the game anyway.

ML United is back!

This forum is on fire! Not sure if you ever expected this when you started it @miguelfcp , but I am sure if has brought a lot of joy to us retro PES fans. I know it has for me! It's awesome following everyone's ML, Cup, League, or whatever journey they are on.

I am taking a break from my Tottenham ML, and am doing a European championship. I decided to take on the challenge with a top team... France.

Currently sitting 3rd behind Germany and Portugal halfway through the group phase.

I want to highlight some players I have noticed and their uniqueness.

Henry - This guy is a premiere finisher. Leads the team with 6 goals. Great dribbler, and knows when to find a pass.

Viera - Love this guy! He is a rock in front of my defense. Wins lots of headers and is STRONG. Bullies opponents off the ball with ease. Can dribble a bit and find a pass.

Thurman - Class defender. His positioning is almost always perfect and wins just about every aerial duel.

Ribbery - Full of speed, tricks, and leads the championship in assists (6). Even scored a beautiful goal that I plan to share in a montage once I finish this run.

@miguelfcp awesome! I did a very similar adventure (always on Pes 5) an year ago or something, only past and future defaults (and maybe some classic regen). I remember failing promotion in the second season and subsequently leaving it for the future. You are inspiring me to start it back!

@andersfss beautiful highlights. Which gameplay improvements are you using?

Last edited:
One of my favorite matches lately. Brazil (Me) vs England (CPU).
PES 5 (Default OF), Exhibition Mode, 6 stars, 15 min and some
gameplay improvements (hex editing)

Looks great! But can you tell us more about the gameplay improvements and this hex editing?

Looks great! But can you tell us more about the gameplay improvements and this hex editing?
Thank you! I spent a lot of time to improve CPU attacking ability, tried a huge number of different options. And it seems that I managed to find something. Right now, CPU began to play much better and more aggressively in attack, in all game modes. But I still need to test. When it is ready I will definitely share this with everyone.

Enjoying all your posts :)

In my ML tester we are sitting 3rd, 2pts behind Aston Villa in 2nd with Brighton cruising up top with 2 games left.

We play Cardiff and need to win and hope Villa drop points.

We came up against a keeper in fine form...

Here is another save that he made.

And Traore, who has been carrying us finished off this great move with this...

Game finished 0-0 and despite the misses and saves i did not once feel that the match was scripted.

Villa won which means we have yet another season in D2 :(

What makes things worse is that we had 3 offers for Traore in mid season which we turned down. If he gets offers from bigger clubs in pre season, realistically, we have to let him go. :(

@geeeeee

Wow, what a shot from Traore! Keeper must have been sweating that one!

What's your take on scripting? Was there much in your first season? Do you find it more in certain modes, (master league) than others? Just curios...

@geeeeee

Wow, what a shot from Traore! Keeper must have been sweating that one!

What's your take on scripting? Was there much in your first season? Do you find it more in certain modes, (master league) than others? Just curios...

Being honest (and call me ignorant if you like) i don’t really notice scripting.

I honestly believe in retroPES that it is possible to stop a situation that seems inevitable. And, if it does happen it is to do with the stats of each player. For example, the last minute goal conceded from a corner, yep it happens but i always believe it is because my defender’s Mentality is low and they crumble under pressure. The same if the GK makes a mistake ir is because of his stats. I know that depending on the Mentality stat, if it is low and you concede the player’s heads will drop but if it is high some will play better.

Comparing scripting to the newer games, if there is scripting it is so subtle. In the new games you just know that there is a goal coming and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, or your players are running in mud throughout the game.

What a performance by the keeper!

It's funny about the scripting in the older games. I don't have a video of it but you know the instance when you are chasing the AI winger and sometimes your full back will sort of check before continuing. I always wondered if that was an example of the AI getting a little advantage via 'scripting'. However when I was running the manager league last winter, where all the games were played out AI v AI, I noticed that it happened a few times in those games too. So, whatever it is, perhaps it is something to do with a representation of the mental and physical state of the player as @geeeeee mentions, albeit portrayed a bit clumsily, but I don't believe it is in there to give the AI an advantage because it happened in AI v AI games as well.

@geeeeee

Great stuff. Already looking forward to my next season back on PES 2008 (PS2). I assume you have an up to date option file loaded. Do you need to have a MaxDrive disc or similar for something like that?

@geeeeee

Great stuff. Already looking forward to my next season back on PES 2008 (PS2). I assume you have an up to date option file loaded. Do you need to have a MaxDrive disc or similar for something like that?

It’s one that i am working on so not 100 percent finish. I have about 20 club teams left to do which hopefully won’t take too long because some already have about 10 of their players done already. It is taking a bit longer because we went away and most of the time pesstatsdatabase is down which is where i get the stats from.

The ML that i am playing is just a tester to see if the 5000 salary and 1 salary players appear. And to see how the transfers go. I think for me, transfer frequency to the max is best as you see a good few realistic ones. And you get good offers for your players.

Once i have completed it I will upload it.

Yes I use maxdrive and pesfan editor to do the option file.

@Special4988: I have to be honest with you, when I was writing the first post of the thread I nearly quit it, thinking to myself "why bother, this won't get traction anyway...". I never imagined this would catch on like it did, but thankfully we've all helped building something really special here.

Vieira has to be one of my favourite retro-PES players. Doesn't matter if it's PES2, 3, 4, 5 or whatever, he always dominates the midfield. Thanks to him I was able to suck a little bit less on WE9LE online too...
How's your Tottenham team by the way? I believe you said you wanted to keep a core of superstars like Bale and Modric; how's the team evolving?

@Madmac79: You should! These Defaults adventures are the pinnacle of retro-PES in my opinion. I never did a long-term save with these rules, and I imagine it'll be tough as hell without the help of some newgens - those that pulled my Defaults up on my PES08 PS2 save. It'll be very hard but very rewarding too.

@andersfss: Sounds amazing, good luck there. If you can pull that off I'll be very interested in trying it out.

@geeeeee: It's impossible not to look at your videos and feel the itch for some PES08 PS2 action...

Back
Top Bottom