The Retro-PES Corner

Hmm i am at a crossroads with this game. I just played a couple of random cup games with global adjustments to slow it down and it plays even better (which i knew anyway)

Admittedly i was beginning to get slightly frustrated (after bigging the game up a few posts ago) with the CPU becoming quite relentless by winning nearly all 50/50 balls and by annoyingly allowed to get in front of my players when a pass is going directly to them.

So I am debating wether to do a cup competition (maybe a world cup) to see how it plays throughout a whole tournament.

The thing is if i decide to go with the adjustments it will not take affect in my current ML which i am well along with now.

Also if i start a new ML with the adjustments i believe some of the newcomers join with unadjusted stats.

Hmm decisions decisions

@geeeeee Always a difficult one and I'm not sure if you'll find the answer playing the cup because the ML does tend to play differently doesn't it to a finite tournament. Just had a thought out of nowhere regarding difficulty levels. What if you were to play home games on regular and away games on professional?

struggling to get one of those patches, all the links seem to be dodgy sites that i cant get what i need from. any help appreciated!
Read full article now, very interesting. I always love these inside info. Also very accurate on how things went on the modern Era and loved this guy's Azim Tanvir opinion, about three pillars that make pes unique and not just a poor man's FIFA.

Now, as i'm a well-known "ISS-fanboy", and I will always believe that ISS 98 beats hands down, even the first Goal Storm, in gameplay terms. But let's separate apples and oranges, and compare same things. I do not have a clue about sales, but judging only by pure gameplay

Is there any person who finds this better than this .

Or can this be in any case better than this?

from that beautiful to read article, thanks for posting @Chris Davies (i am having so much fun reading this, walking memory lane) :LOVE: , another article mentioned:

The eurogamer PES review on PS2:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_pes_ps2

aahhhh.... good times! :D

Felt it relevant to take this over here!

Oh, don't think I posted this when I saw it a couple of weeks back:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/06/23/iss-pro-evolution

"5.1/10 - mediocre"

You what mate?! YOU'RE mediocre. The TL;DR is: we already have FIFA, why would we need ISS as well.
For real now. Does this guy have any idea about football? Wanting World Cup while there is International Cup, Euro etc. I can only assume back then, he wanted to say something about licenses, when licensing was in an immature state.
The general spirit seems off..

That bloke wasn’t ready for ISS Pro Evo, clearly. The fact that this game is still incredibly playable today says it all. Plus it was the birth of ML and the L1 step over. Enough said really :))

Oh, don't think I posted this when I saw it a couple of weeks back:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/06/23/iss-pro-evolution

"5.1/10 - mediocre"

You what mate?! YOU'RE mediocre. The TL;DR is: we already have FIFA, why would we need ISS as well.

Wow. Must be the most asinine game review I've ever read or something.

We4/IssProEvo is probably THE title that revolutionized the industry forever, or perhaps it's there on the podium. I bet not even an EA employee would have dared to give it less than a 9.

This is so unreal it looks like a parody rather than a serious take!

Last edited:
Interesting sales figures if they are correct, that means even FIFA has dropped massively in sales, 18m in 2015 to 12 million for 2019 and when you consider how in bed they are these past few years with the Premier league footballers regards promoting it that's a huge drop in sales.

Not that it will ever happen but It would be fascinating if Konami released 2021 and at the same time released say PES 3 but completely modernised regarding graphics, textures, better presentation and so on and for good measure let's add in a full size division 2 in ML BUT leaving the gameplay as it was. I wonder which would sell more copies?

Hmm i am at a crossroads with this game. I just played a couple of random cup games with global adjustments to slow it down and it plays even better (which i knew anyway)

Admittedly i was beginning to get slightly frustrated (after bigging the game up a few posts ago) with the CPU becoming quite relentless by winning nearly all 50/50 balls and by annoyingly allowed to get in front of my players when a pass is going directly to them.

So I am debating wether to do a cup competition (maybe a world cup) to see how it plays throughout a whole tournament.

The thing is if i decide to go with the adjustments it will not take affect in my current ML which i am well along with now.

Also if i start a new ML with the adjustments i believe some of the newcomers join with unadjusted stats.

Hmm decisions decisions

It's a shame cause your ML looked enjoyable from outside. But if you are getting frustrated then the grind isn't worth it of course.

Yeah the fact that newcomers regens etc. risk to screw up a global edited ML is what stopped me from seriously trying as well.

Maybe you could pick an already existing team without going from the defaults? I think it would make the process less brutal :) .

Does anyone here have any option file for WE9 for PC? It's a superior game to me than PES5 but haven't got any luck finding an option file.

@Topaz I always get confused with what WE number is between which PES's but last year when we had the manager league on here using PES6 one of the guys only had WE but he could rename the PES6 option file to WE and it loaded in his game fine apparently. I wonder if that will work with a PES5 OF?

@Madmac79: Since the ball physics of PES2/3 are so amazing, and because I've been playing PES2 exclusively over the last few months, I've now established a tradition: (when my team is kicking off) long ball to the CB, he chests it, the ball is still in the air and...what follows is what can only be described in Portuguese as the legendary "cá vai disto!!!": I :square: it to the helpless strikers, a small preview of what they'll have to endure more often than they'd like to during the match.

By the way, the Cá Vai Disto was always a common tactic in the past also here in Portugal; of course, before the lean, hard-working but timid 170cm midfielder took over and, as @mattmid would say, we began short passing the ball around for half an hour before attempting a poorly timed, weak shot from distance to the center of the goal. The last bulwark of the Cá Vai Disto was the lower, semi-pro/amateur leagues, mainly because most teams played on pitches without grass and passing it around was a no-no; but now they all have either turf or artifiical turf and are sadly imitating the bad habits of pro football...

WE6FE sounds very promising. A mix of PES2/PES3 is something I'd never stop playing if I got my hands on it...

@geeeeee: Hmmm...since you seem to be very invested on your current ML, why not keep on playing it while you play some Cups/Leagues on the side, with your global adjustments? It'd be cool for example to pause your ML save after the season is over for to play a Euro/International Cup; then mid-season in January you'd play an African Cup; then perhaps an American Cup, etc. Or build your own kind of "Nations League" to be played during the ML season.

@Flipper the Priest: I have smashed two doors, broke a window, bitten my cat and headbutted the fridge. Now that I'm visibly calmer, I'd like to comment.

ISS Pro Evo is a special game to me. I played it 20 years ago and loved it, spent 20 years without touching it, then played it again and loved it even more.
The other day I caught a few minutes of some FIFA eFootball competition on the tele. Not only the game looked nothing like real football, I kept thinking to myself that I'd get murdered by the CPU if I did many of the things those guys were doing on ISS Pro Evo; be it "tiki-taka-ing" from your own box onwards, going for unnecessary one-on-ones with a defender, or just pass the ball around for minutes without the opponent being even close to intercepting the play. They get away with it because the game, unlike ISS Pro Evo, just doesn't respect the fundamentals of football. 276 special skills, countless perfect short passes later, the guy scores and I change the channel. Whatever I had just watched, it wasn't football surely. It had just failed the "ISS Pro Evo Test".

About the article, some said the television wouldn't catch on, and the Internet was a "fad". This guy claimed ISS Pro Evo was unnecessary. That author is the real-life embodiment of having 1 Shot Accuracy in PES. On a blue condition arrow.

Been struggling to keep clean sheets. Bumped my defensive line and offsides back to C from @geeeeee recommendation, which has helped. Now suddenly I can’t stop conceding from corners. Just a simple ball lobbed in to the top of the 6-yard box and headed in. I’d say the rate of the CPU scoring on corners against me is 30-40%, any suggestions? I try to put an extra man in that area in the short time you have before they take the corner.

I did draw a penalty last night, which seemed like a breath of fresh air (even converted it!)

@breezy: Have you tried L2+R2 before the ball goes out for a corner? You'll get more defenders on the box, should help.

--
I'm now doing International Cups on PES2 with random teams: got England first. After a humiliating 3-2 defeat against Colombia on the first match, and also because I had gotten two red cards, I was mad enough to completely overhaul the starting-11: only Seaman and Owen remained from the previous match. The likes of Wes Brown, Hargreaves, Sinclair, 35-year-old Sheringham and Joe Cole - who found a new life as a...right back! - took over and we win the second encounter; but needing a win against a very weak Saudi Arabia side on the last group match in order to advance to the round of 16, what should I do: play all the superstars, from Rio Ferdinand to Scholes to Beckham, or bet on the team that had won the 2nd match against Turkey, the best team of the three? I decide to go with the superstars - but with Joe Cole as RB and old man Sheringham up front. We win it easily.

Eventually, I reach the semifinals after (easily) eliminating Italy. Yes, with Joe Cole as RB. In theory, Germany is a weaker side than the Italian one but as Flipper says, you never know what you'll get on your next PES2 match - and the game does have a strange tendency to play with you; right when I think I'm mastering it, PES2 bullies me once again. Joe Cole chose to put out his worst performance of the competition and Neuville + Klose were unstoppable. Germany is winning 1-3 before the last 10 minutes, England has already two players sent off. Somehow, Gerrard scores a great goal and...that was it. 2-3 and we're out. Next time I play an International Cup with England, I don't know what will happen, I just know Joe Cole will play as a RB. And Sheringham, who finished as one of the competition's top scorers, will surely be playing alongside Owen.

Last night I tried another Cup, now with Czech Republic. A group comprised of Nigeria, Portugal and Brasil...Anyway, the first match was against Portugal. I'm excited to display a stellar midfield with Rosicky, Nedved, Poborsky and Berger; but you might be thinking: that-s great but...who will help defending? That's right, no one. 7th minute and we're already losing 0-2. The game ends 0-5 but it could've easily had been 0-8.

This time around, I change absolutely nothing from the first to the second match. No way I'm pulverizing this adorable midfield. This one was completely different from the previous, as Nigeria and Czech Republic clash in a gritty, PES5-like match, only solved by the brilliance of a guy who's probably Smicer but I'm not sure. Whoever he is, he has been by far our best element so far. It ends 2-0 as Killar Koller scored too and now we'll have to win our match against Brazil to go through.

@miguelfcp cool to know something new! Probably with Santa Cruz as the only guy in the whole other midfield I did the ultimate cá vai disto without even realizing it :D .
Anyway.. yes, the ball physics is fantastic. It's a shame that replay came only in WE7 as in that match above I casually :square: a ball from the defense that randomly and kinda naturally went so fucking high in the sky.. would have loved to record it.
I suggest you to try WE6FE somewhere in the future. It's a lot more Pes2 than Pes3, but it surely has it's own particular feel.

@geeeeee Always a difficult one and I'm not sure if you'll find the answer playing the cup because the ML does tend to play differently doesn't it to a finite tournament. Just had a thought out of nowhere regarding difficulty levels. What if you were to play home games on regular and away games on professional?

That is a good suggestion matt but unfortunately you can only change the difficulty in between seasons.

It's a shame cause your ML looked enjoyable from outside. But if you are getting frustrated then the grind isn't worth it of course.

Yeah the fact that newcomers regens etc. risk to screw up a global edited ML is what stopped me from seriously trying as well.

Maybe you could pick an already existing team without going from the defaults? I think it would make the process less brutal :) .

Yeh I know :( and that is what is putting me off starting a new one because i have gotten quite attached to the players. I was checking out someone’s career mode on FIFA20 on operation sports website and one of their player’s was Camavinga

I have played PES5 ML with adjustments and i didnt notice any issues from newcomers and regens so I may start another one with the adjustments.

@geeeeee: Hmmm...since you seem to be very invested on your current ML, why not keep on playing it while you play some Cups/Leagues on the side, with your global adjustments? It'd be cool for example to pause your ML save after the season is over for to play a Euro/International Cup; then mid-season in January you'd play an African Cup; then perhaps an American Cup, etc. Or build your own kind of "Nations League" to be played during the ML season.

Believe it or not I used to do something similar during my ML on PES5. I used to play a tournament at the end of every season and have my own little competition going. After playing the World, European, African, Asian, and American cups i would put the best teams in the Konami league. Teams would then gets points depending on their finishing position and that would determine their seedings for the next round of cups.

I would use those cups to scout for players in my ML.

I have just started a World Cup on Top Player and it played well and with the adjustments I had more time on the ball. I may post videos later.

Been struggling to keep clean sheets. Bumped my defensive line and offsides back to C from @geeeeee recommendation, which has helped. Now suddenly I can’t stop conceding from corners. Just a simple ball lobbed in to the top of the 6-yard box and headed in. I’d say the rate of the CPU scoring on corners against me is 30-40%, any suggestions? I try to put an extra man in that area in the short time you have before they take the corner.

I did draw a penalty last night, which seemed like a breath of fresh air (even converted it!)

One thing that i have noticed is that i have more success when i just leave the defenders as they are and don’t drag any other defenders (like the SB’s) into the box. And if i just constantly press the square button and use the player that the CPU picks for me. When i start taking control of other players is when it all goes wrong.

@breezy: Keep banging L2+R1 before an attacking corner - until that little bar next to the player's name is red - and it automatically sends one of your CBs up to the opp.'s box, as well as more players who wouldn't otherwise be there - we still haven't exactly understood the logic behind who the game chooses to go up but it's usually your taller folks. Oh and all of this works also on free kicks.
I don't know if you were asking about the effect of L2+R2 before an attacking corner, but that's something I never use, so I don't know for sure how it works. I might be holding on to a 1-0 lead on the 92nd minute but I'm always tempted to go full-L2+R1 to score another :D

That is a good suggestion matt but unfortunately you can only change the difficulty in between seasons.

Really? I'm trying to remember if you can on PES 6 now, I know you can in 2013 because I just did it with Bronshoj as I had it on superstar when I was coaching but knocked it down to professional when I started to play the matches myself. That's what made me think of it. Bloody hell does this mean Konami actually introduced something useful rather than removing it!

Really? I'm trying to remember if you can on PES 6 now, I know you can in 2013 because I just did it with Bronshoj as I had it on superstar when I was coaching but knocked it down to professional when I started to play the matches myself. That's what made me think of it. Bloody hell does this mean Konami actually introduced something useful rather than removing it!
I find most possible that some developer once upon a time, just forgot to add the command line, that makes the option unavailable "Grey" during season. :)

My PS3 PES package arrived late last week and I've taken in a bit of 2012, 2013 and 2014 in the last few days. Boy did I miss out on some good PES the first time round.

I dived straight into Master Leagues and was somewhat taken aback by what's on offer. So much more 'immersive' than 2020. Obviously it's also more in-depth than my boys PES2 and PES3 but that is, chronology considered, unremarkable.

The fact that you have proper staff, who actually interact with you and your customisable visage, and not a couple of nameless nodding dogs with tablets. I loved the coach in 2012, going through the report on the upcoming opponents. Even better, it's not just fluff - it's genuinely relevant and it did indeed ring true with how they performed on the pitch. And then there's the added financial and recruitment responsibilities.

Okay, I was a little disappointed to find out that 2013 recycles a lot of it. The coach replaced by a PA but maybe that's because I hadn't hired a coach? I can't recall. Then, I was even more disappointed to find out that a lot of it is dropped in 2014. A bloody shame.

On the pitch, I'm leaning towards 2012 or 2013. Sorry @Chris Davies and @rockstrongo. Early days yet, of course, but the two of them seemed a little grittier than 2014. The tempo of all three is spot on for me and -coming from 2020 - isn't it refreshing to have a choice between picking locks or battering the door down in an attempt to get to goal. There are gaps, the CPU commits, your players can actually accelerate beyond them.

Cosmetically, I think 2014 looks a little bizarre. Those jagged players and ball don't look like they're at one with the pitch. And those faces... I pride myself on not really caring about the accuracy of faces. It's way down my priority list. But even I have standards. And in all three games the replays are ludicrous. Those frame rates, man.

It's a trio I look forward to playing more. Seriously impressed with all three.

My PS3 PES package arrived late last week and I've taken in a bit of 2012, 2013 and 2014 in the last few days. Boy did I miss out on some good PES the first time round.

I dived straight into Master Leagues and was somewhat taken aback by what's on offer. So much more 'immersive' than 2020. Obviously it's also more in-depth than my boys PES2 and PES3 but that is, chronology considered, unremarkable.

The fact that you have proper staff, who actually interact with you and your customisable visage, and not a couple of nameless nodding dogs with tablets. I loved the coach in 2012, going through the report on the upcoming opponents. Even better, it's not just fluff - it's genuinely relevant and it did indeed ring true with how they performed on the pitch. And then there's the added financial and recruitment responsibilities.

Okay, I was a little disappointed to find out that 2013 recycles a lot of it. The coach replaced by a PA but maybe that's because I hadn't hired a coach? I can't recall. Then, I was even more disappointed to find out that a lot of it is dropped in 2014. A bloody shame.

On the pitch, I'm leaning towards 2012 or 2013. Sorry @Chris Davies and @rockstrongo. Early days yet, of course, but the two of them seemed a little grittier than 2014. The tempo of all three is spot on for me and -coming from 2020 - isn't it refreshing to have a choice between picking locks or battering the door down in an attempt to get to goal. There are gaps, the CPU commits, your players can actually accelerate beyond them.

Cosmetically, I think 2014 looks a little bizarre. Those jagged players and ball don't look like they're at one with the pitch. And those faces... I pride myself on not really caring about the accuracy of faces. It's way down my priority list. But even I have standards. And in all three games the replays are ludicrous. Those frame rates, man.

FAO anyone: see if I'm to edit any of these, am I doing it on the PS3 'by hand'...?

When returning back to these titles a few years back,I had only played Pes 13 on my Xbox 360 (God I miss you...I could even patch that game) and I missed out on 12 and 14.

So to my surprise,I loved 13 when it came out,played it a lot,12 was the one who stood out for me the most.
You can play as a boss,haven't tried it,sounds brilliant though,guess it's more of a manager mode.

14 on PS3 is a hit and a miss for me,guess it shines on pc though,way to scrappy looking on the PS3.

I played a few Pes 15 games on an old ML save ,think it plays pretty good on professional/regular difficulty (like most Pes games)
But the content on 15!
Jeebus!
Copa America/libertadores,and a fully licenced La Liga and La Liga 2.
Bonus is the very good looking menu system on that game.

But to back you up here mate,Pes 12 is a gem man!

After my CPU has died down, I am forced to play slower games like PES 6 over PES 2020.

And let me tell you, after having played a whole Master League season and several international challenges, I truly miss PES 2020 over PES 6 garbage.

PES 6 has inreedemable flaws such as:

- Master League being an absolute joke mode with joke transfers and not even being able to have a full league of 20 teams (how pathetic is that?)

- Team AI being a complete joke, never supporting you in attack and always being out of position in defence (I have seen left backs leave their covered wingers just because?!)

- Do not even get me started on the joke goalkeepers, whose abysmal mistakes has cost me many goals

- Computer AI feels as cheap as the AI in PES 2020 people always complain about. They always score on cheap corners that are impossible to defend and the ref is always biased towards the computer AI.

- Worst of all, 1on1 goalkeepers is so needlessly hard with the limited aiming and feels like a coin flip all the time.

- Shooting accuracy makes no sense and fantastic strikers often make amateur misses

I have tried so hard to like the old school PES but I cannot doit anymore. Newer PES games completely blow the garbage that is PES 6 out of the water and I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who would ever actually prefer playing PES 6 over PES 2020.

After my CPU has died down, I am forced to play slower games like PES 6 over PES 2020.

And let me tell you, after having played a whole Master League season and several international challenges, I truly miss PES 2020 over PES 6 garbage.

- Master League being an absolute joke mode with joke transfers and not even being able to have a full league of 20 teams (how pathetic is that?)

- Team AI being a complete joke, never supporting you in attack and always being out of position in defence (I have seen left backs leave their covered wingers just because?!)

- Do not even get me started on the joke goalkeepers, whose abysmal mistakes has cost me many goals

- Computer AI feels as cheap as the AI in PES 2020 people always complain about. They always score on cheap corners that are impossible to defend and the ref is always biased towards the computer AI.

- Worst of all, 1on1 goalkeepers is so needlessly hard with the limited aiming and feels like a coin flip all the time.

- Shooting accuracy makes no sense and fantastic strikers often make amateur misses

I have tried so hard to like the old school PES but I cannot doit anymore. Newer PES games completely blow the garbage that is PES 6 out of the water and I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who would ever actually prefer playing PES 6 over PES 2020.

Each to their own; it's matters of opinion. Thankfully, you can choose not to play the games you don't like, and leave others to enjoy them as they wish.

I won't even start.. :D

When returning back to these titles a few years back,I had only played Pes 13 on my Xbox 360 (God I miss you...I could even patch that game) and I missed out on 12 and 14.

So to my surprise,I loved 13 when it came out,played it a lot,12 was the one who stood out for me the most.
You can play as a boss,haven't tried it,sounds brilliant though,guess it's more of a manager mode.

14 on PS3 is a hit and a miss for me,guess it shines on pc though,way to scrappy looking on the PS3.

I played a few Pes 15 games on an old ML save ,think it plays pretty good on professional/regular difficulty (like most Pes games)
But the content on 15!
Jeebus!
Copa America/libertadores,and a fully licenced La Liga and La Liga 2.
Bonus is the very good looking menu system on that game.

But to back you up here mate,Pes 12 is a gem man!
I did on Pes 12+13,imported kits/badges and fixed it myself,takes a while,but pretty much a therapeutic thing for me

Might find out for myself regarding 2015 - at this rate I'll own all PESes for every PlayStation console by the time lockdown is over...

As for editing, I don't plan on going nuts. Just the big things like team names. But was hoping there was an editor from which I could export. Luckily, I find editing on the console quite therapeutic too. Why? I don't know. Simple pleasures!

Back
Top Bottom