The Retro-PES Corner

Finished my 2nd season on Pes 13! Thought it would have been a promotion last time I updated here .. but nope, after january I had an incredibly bad losing streak which almost brought me back in the low part of the table.. but luckily in the final quarter I retained my old track record and managed to make it at least here: which means I'll do the Italian Cup next season (teams after the 12th don't qualify, indeed).

Small satisfaction in Marilungo winning the top scoring rank:

Results aside, was an eventful year, anyway; Mannini ended up being my first, long injury (9 weeks), of course during my bad streak; I also had to cut down salaries, so a lot of players put their contract on hold and I ended up losing all the best of them to other teams (the same Mannini, Hatemaj and right back D'Alessandro) with offers during the rest of the season (didn't even remember other teams could sign them up for the subsequent year at that point!).

Market came and it has been a bit challenging until now. Sold Palmieri (refused a first offer and he got angry so I immediately put him on transfer list, I kinda made a point of selling players who act like this) and Adejo who despite being the player with the best overall of the entire team doesn't play much. Already signed at zero keeper Roos and winger Klaus. Still searching for a defender, a DMF and maybe a forward, need to solidify a bit the team to seriously challenge the top 3. To finish, just wanted to share this nice goal CPU scored me:
p.s. still playing with all the staff at minimum. Will surely not up the trainer (players already grow enough as it is) and the doctor (nice and realistic to have same injury here and there). Will study some good challenge for when (if :D ) I'll reach Serie A, probably a proper salary cap or something.
Nice write up mate!
I've got Pes 12-13-14 for Xbox 360 and I'm very tempted to start a ML.
I popped in the Pes 12 disc all hyped up,til I realised I have to unlock club teams (and a lot of other stuff) in ML.
Forgot that,but will deffo get one going on one of those games.

Nice write up mate!
I've got Pes 12-13-14 for Xbox 360 and I'm very tempted to start a ML.
I popped in the Pes 12 disc all hyped up,til I realised I have to unlock club teams (and a lot of other stuff) in ML.
Forgot that,but will deffo get one going on one of those games.

Thanks Rock. Been having a lot of fun, although in my losing streak it felt a bit cheaty if I have to be honest. But since it kinda balanced itself later all in all I ended up satisfied anyway. Plus the squad building is so enjoyable! Even better with some simple self-challenges.

Yeah I remember 12 was a bit on the old school side of things with modes to unlock via points etc., if you don't feel like grind it you might want to play the others, even if with the state of current gen of footies I think that there will be quite some time available :P

Thanks Rock. Been having a lot of fun, although in my losing streak it felt a bit cheaty if I have to be honest. But since it kinda balanced itself later all in all I ended up satisfied anyway. Plus the squad building is so enjoyable! Even better with some simple self-challenges.

Yeah I remember 12 was a bit on the old school side of things with modes to unlock via points etc., if you don't feel like grind it you might want to play the others, even if with the state of current gen of footies I think that there will be quite some time available :P
Yeah,here we are talking about next gen,buying 8k tvs etc,still I'm using my 360 for football.
Haven't decided on 12 or 13,like em both.
But 13 has almost every la Liga stadium,and I'm very tempted to go for it.
Hope your next season will be a good one.

Last edited:
@Madmac79 Enjoyed the write up and agree with the contract stance you are taking, don't like it, sod off then! I'm undecided whether to continue that ML 'league' thing I started with Bronshoj, where I turned off all transfers in the options to test out if a league mode would work seeing as they inexplicably left it out of that version. I was enjoying it so much at the time though that I wished I'd done a proper ML. Thing is I can't recall now having not loaded it up in weeks how far I'd got with my Nordic/Scandinavian OF. If there's too many original teams still in it then it will kind of break the immersion to start one. I know I'd finished Denmark and Sweden and I think Iceland but I don't think I'd got as far as doing much of Norway and pretty sure I didn't get to Finland yet. Might take a look at it over the weekend and see whether to just continue with the league season (think I was about 10 - 12 games in if I remember right) or start a proper ML.

What, the, heck.

Started the new season and I have NO GAMES except from the first round of Italy Cup. My schedule looks ALL like this:

pes2013 2020-10-02 21-51-46-57.jpg pes2013 2020-10-02 21-51-47-42.jpg

Until the end season friendlies. Practically, Serie B got erased for I don't know which bug/reason. Tried to reload my save before the year started and the result is exactly the same, except I face a different team in Cup.

I simulated all the season, summer included, and with my surprise in the end there was no crashing bug: the first three alphabetic teams got promoted and in the subsequent season Serie B returned with full, normal schedule like nothing happened. So in theory I could play with an year jump or something.. but feels a bit off atm :(. Did anybody ever experienced something like this? I never saw something like this in my long ML back in the days.

Stuff like that is so heartbreaking @Madmac79
Don't think it has ever happened to me (on console).
But back in the day something similar happened on a Pes 6 save.
That pc save had tons of patches/kits etc.
It sucks ,hope you get it sorted or start over again

Hello guys, do you know if Milanista, the PES 6 option file author, is still on evoweb?
I need to talk with him :))

What, the, heck.

Started the new season and I have NO GAMES except from the first round of Italy Cup. My schedule looks ALL like this:

View attachment 61373 View attachment 61374

Until the end season friendlies. Practically, Serie B got erased for I don't know which bug/reason. Tried to reload my save before the year started and the result is exactly the same, except I face a different team in Cup.

I simulated all the season, summer included, and with my surprise in the end there was no crashing bug: the first three alphabetic teams got promoted and in the subsequent season Serie B returned with full, normal schedule like nothing happened. So in theory I could play with an year jump or something.. but feels a bit off atm :(. Did anybody ever experienced something like this? I never saw something like this in my long ML back in the days.

Oh no! That is a really weird one though. The whole season disappearing and then coming back the following year, very strange! Were all the other leagues there ok, was it just your D2? That must have been really disappointing. Nothing worse than when you get so invested in the game and then something like that happens. Are you going to try to carry on, might be worth a go. Thing is will it disappear again? Did you try going into the league table page at all during your sim through to see what, if anything appeared there (or even caused a crash perhaps). What patch is it?

Oh no! That is a really weird one though. The whole season disappearing and then coming back the following year, very strange! Were all the other leagues there ok, was it just your D2? That must have been really disappointing. Nothing worse than when you get so invested in the game and then something like that happens. Are you going to try to carry on, might be worth a go. Thing is will it disappear again? Did you try going into the league table page at all during your sim through to see what, if anything appeared there (or even caused a crash perhaps). What patch is it?

Other leagues all seems fine, with correct stats and stuff; same can be said for competitions. Haven't checked my table during sim, but at the end of the season they were still all at zero in all the voices, doubt there might be hints there. My only idea is that the fact I qualified for Coppa Italia by ending in the first 12 might have broke something, since in the subsquent season I'm out and things got back to normal.. but it's just a wild guess.

I'm using Pesedit 3.8, the one in the Retro Pes 13 thread. Might ask there as well later.

And yes you are right, I'm a bit torn at the moment; I guess I could keep going with the year gap but the tought of fighting for promotion, build a team etc. only to have something similar happening in Serie A or with an important Cup after even more investement.. yep, kind of a turn off :) . I might try with another patch later; it's a shame cause 1.04 played SO damn fun, and most patches uses previous versions of the game. Well, we'll see :).

Decided to start a (test?) ML on Pes 13.
Top player 15 Min.
I'm going as Real Zaragoza in Liga BBW.

Since I haven't played this one in a while, there's a steep learning curve, especially defending.
Had 0-0 draw against some fake Pes league team as my first game.

Then came the league opener Vs Real Betis (I know I'll go as them in the end)
Brilliant game!
So hard defending and keeping them out,pretty much played at maximum Def the first 60 Min,just hoofed long balls and prayed.
But in the 73rd minute I got an opening between the CB's and came 1v1 Vs the GK and easily put 1-0 in.
Betis kept attacking me franticly after that,and me being tired,and a few bad moves in D,they made it 1-1!
Last fucking kick of the game.

But I thoroughly enjoyed it, whether I stay as Zaragoza or pick a better side,I'll keep at it with this.
Really fun game!

What, the, heck.

View attachment 61373 View attachment 61374

Never experienced similar bug before. What a relief although, that you could skip the season with sim and you were not stuck.

Maybe it was a secret prophecy, like a hidden Easter-egg by developers about the future? A shambolic prediction?Back from 2012 summer?

Like, implying CoviD for example : "In the future you will skip a whole year due to a virus."

Or implying the Season Update : in the future you will skip a whole season developing-wise as an update version, no gameplay changes!!! :P :D

Or a pes2014 reference? " 2014 will be a year, many will skip PES..." Although you are in October of 2014 so it does no apply 100%. Maybe a prediction of PES 2015 delayed release?

Who knows!! :)

Last edited:
Other leagues all seems fine, with correct stats and stuff; same can be said for competitions. Haven't checked my table during sim, but at the end of the season they were still all at zero in all the voices, doubt there might be hints there. My only idea is that the fact I qualified for Coppa Italia by ending in the first 12 might have broke something, since in the subsquent season I'm out and things got back to normal.. but it's just a wild guess.

I'm using Pesedit 3.8, the one in the Retro Pes 13 thread. Might ask there as well later.

And yes you are right, I'm a bit torn at the moment; I guess I could keep going with the year gap but the tought of fighting for promotion, build a team etc. only to have something similar happening in Serie A or with an important Cup after even more investement.. yep, kind of a turn off :) . I might try with another patch later; it's a shame cause 1.04 played SO damn fun, and most patches uses previous versions of the game. Well, we'll see :).
In more serious question now, what do do mean you promoted for Coppa Italia by finishing 12? Aren't all the teams of a league and the D2 you are, playing in the cup already by default?

In more serious question now, what do do mean you promoted for Coppa Italia by finishing 12? Aren't all the teams of a league and the D2 you are, playing in the cup already by default?

I used to think so as well but no, I remember finishing third last in my first season and searching for my opponent in Coppa Italia the next year, realizing with surprise that I had none.. so I checked in the regulations bit and it indeed said I had to make it in the first 12, otherwise no cup. The interesting thing is that in my first season I was in and I alphabetically not qualify for it, so I just guess the game puts you in by default whatever team you take togheter with the others.. might be kinda interesting (at least for curious freaks like us :D ) to check if other teams are picked random or indeed alphabetically selected or something.

Yeah, the year gap could suggest many fun theories indeed :P ! Would this bug have been a bit more popular, no doubt we'd see videos on youtube, creepypasta style, about The prophecy of Pes 13 or something :LOL:.

I know from my tests when simming the first ML year a few times, to see what the final league tables looked like with the edited teams, that the European competitions seemed to be hard coded for the first season. It was someone like Akropolis from Sweden D2 that were in it each time and I had put them over one of the Premier teams, Arsenal or Chelsea I think. Also Viborg from Denmark too as they were over one of the Other Europe teams, forget who now though.

So guys rosters etc!
For instance,my Pes 13 is the roster of 12/13 season,I always liked playing with older ones when playing retro games.
Having a 25 year old Messi destroying your defence etc.
What's your preference?

Btw my goal this season is to sign the very promising 9 year old Ansu Fati!

So guys rosters etc!
For instance,my Pes 13 is the roster of 12/13 season,I always liked playing with older ones when playing retro games.
Having a 25 year old Messi destroying your defence etc.
What's your preference?

Btw my goal this season is to sign the very promising 9 year old Ansu Fati!

Depends how far back we're talking. If I was playing say, PES 2018 or FIFA 18, the squads would most certainly bother me. For something like PES 2013, enough time has past where that begins to feel nostalgic. Playing PES 2 through 6 is great because it's like a football time capsule that we can revisit whenever we like. Seeing all of the great players of yesteryear warms the heart and all that.

Depends how far back we're talking. If I was playing say, PES 2018 or FIFA 18, the squads would most certainly bother me. For something like PES 2013, enough time has past where that begins to feel nostalgic. Playing PES 2 through 6 is great because it's like a football time capsule that we can revisit whenever we like. Seeing all of the great players of yesteryear warms the heart and all that.
Exactly my approach as well,bugs me when I load up Pes 18/19 and not having correct lineups (or at least the team your playing as) but older games,so much fun playing Vs the old legends.

I think generally the older the better. I'm not sure how much for me that has to do with the real modern football becoming more and more corporate and money grabbing rather than the players themselves or whether it's just the nostalgia!

I think generally the older the better. I'm not sure how much for me that has to do with the real modern football becoming more and more corporate and money grabbing rather than the players themselves or whether it's just the nostalgia!
Pretty much feel the same way.
The City/Red Bull/PSG corporate backing,or in PSG/city's case,funded by a state etc is horrible,top that off with insta players like Neymar and co.
Or having a CL with 4 teams from the same league,or next seasons uefa conference league etc.

Give me sideburns ,skinny players and muddy pitches back please

@Heisenberg: I was just on your Laziale facebook page - many thanks for mentioning the Libero, appreciate the kind words too. I see you're still on the editing "horse", and it's looking marvelous. Can't wait to try out the new Classic Laziale, perhaps even will write a dedicated review to it.

@Madmac79: Clearly the (your) ML World experienced a virus that led the Italian government to establish a quarantine lockdown. That round of the Coppa Italla will be played virtually through Pro Evolution. It's the only possible explanation.

@rockstrongo: One of the reasons we play these retro games is to revisit a different time/era. Old rosters honestly used to bother me but now I even prefer it. You can build your own interactive encyclopedia of football with all these titles, why limit yourself to just reading the very last page of it (the modern game/rosters) when you could have the entire - huge - book?

Speaking about Rosters, I recently found my softest spot in PES 2012. You only need to have the game updated with DPs. On PC it is "easy", on console I don't know the way.

It seems that due to the update and having two versions of Libertadores, many beloved players from 90s and 00s, made their "last dance" performance. Players like R. Carlos, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano, T. Henry, Beckham, Nesta, Gattuso, and many other..

Last edited:
Speaking about Rosters, I recently found my softest spot in PES 2012. You only need to have the game updated with DPs. On PC it is "easy", on console I don't know the way.

It seems that due to the update and having two versions of Libertadores, many beloved players from 90s and 00s, made their "last dance" performance. Players like R. Carlos, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano, T. Henry, Beckham.
Pes 12 has a soft spot in my heart,really like that game

Game two Vs Valencia away.
Started horribly,a soft back pass to my GK was snatched up by Jonas and 1-0 Valencia,after 3 minutes!

2-0 Valencia came 6 minutes later,Piatti on a counter.

3-0 after a sloppy rebound from my GK,and Jonas made no mistake
17 minutes had passed!
Welcome to Mestalla and Valencia away.

Acctually had a good 2nd half,worked my way back in to the game with a nice free kick making it 1-3.

Kept pushing the rest of the half,but curtains went down in the 81st minute when my GK threw the ball to my CB how manage to lose it to Jonas who made it 1-4.

Bad day at the office!

Home opener Vs Rayo.
Only 3 points is an acceptable outcome here.

Started really well,banged in a 20 meter top corner in the 10th minute.
IMG_20201003_161636.jpg

Rayo kept at it after that,scoring on a scramble late first half to make it 1-1.

2nd half saw Postiga hitting the post twice.
Kept pressure and on a great cross,I headed in the game winner in the 73rd minute.
IMG_20201003_164101.jpg

IMG_20201003_164121.jpg

Defended really well the last 15 Min or so,and my first win is a fact!
Vamos!
Table looking a bit better now.
Next game is a EL fixture Vs Motherwell (weird have to Google if they really played EL that year)

IMG_20201003_165102.jpg
Fun fact,I discovered that I have played with manual shooting all three games.
Explains a lot I guess:)

One of the reasons we play these retro games is to revisit a different time/era. Old rosters honestly used to bother me but now I even prefer it. You can build your own interactive encyclopedia of football with all these titles, why limit yourself to just reading the very last page of it (the modern game/rosters) when you could have the entire - huge - book?
Agreed 100%. One of the reasons these older games with modern roster patches never sat well with me is not only are these games influenced by the style of football that was contemporary back then but also so I can step in my time machine and revisit my childhood/teen years & reunite with Claudio Lopez, Owen Hargreaves and Nakata whom will never age in virtual form and gave me many seasons of happiness and contributed their digital blood sweat and tears to my avatars success as well as the obvious pleasure in picking up legends in their prime such as your Henrys & your Beckhams, Zidanes.

I try to appreciate that they get a payday and a little acknowledgment when they're recreated in stunning detail in FUT & myClub but i also can't help but feel like they're nothing more than commodities attached to speeds boosts for the consumers online teams. A whole new generation spins these players and seldom appreciates just how much they meant to our sport growing up. Just another prop to film yourself overreacting to in a YouTube video while opening a pack i guess
Fun fact,I discovered that I have played with manual shooting all three games.
Explains a lot I guess:)
You know it's a tedious and frustrating route to gratification but my god when you score the most rudimentary or down right sloppiest of goals on manual, It's deeply rewarding. Like Antoniobanderas.gif levels of rewarding. I think this probably rings true for the more modern games where the default settings are incredibly passive and it feels like you could score screamers while unconscious on ketamine, The game assists you so much but on those older ones such as PES 2012 & 2013, the pass correction is far less pronounced on PA1. Was a fine balance back then.

----------

I've returned to one of my favourites, PES 2010 for the first time since my exhaustive World Cup 2010 pilgrimage, And when you have time away and you come back, and @miguelfcp can concur to this, It's like a brand new game. It's so refreshing.

I was hammering PES 2021 & FIFA 16 the last few weeks and I was really worried it was going to spoil by libido for the mechanically different older games but nope. A minute or two of adjustment and it's just like old times, These games recreate the fundamentals of football so damn well despite their limitations and i feel PES 2010; As the mainstream swansong to the PS2 passing and shooting mechanics is one of the best of the school series. So much drama and little unpredictable moments while still being pretty punishing if you try and play this like an efootball game. This is like the PES 5 of the 7th generation of consoles to me.

I started a new series called the All Star League, The best players representing their continents/confederations courtesy of the the last PESEdit patch.
Cool fantasy idea that could be a very real thing that's often replicated in other sports if the stars aligned and schedules weren't so brutal and money wasn't so cut-throat.

Only problem with this series is, In typical mysterious Konami fashion - PES 2010 was the year they bizarrely removed the Konami Cup & Konami League for whatever reason and i was about to lose my shit! Then after googling (because it's not exactly clear at all in the game menu's) they merged it with the brand new Community Mode that no one asked for. Talk about cryptic. Even setting this up was like renaming The Netherland squad with my toes.

I think it went back to normal after PES 2010 but i'll have to check in 2011-2013. This is another one of their fetish for f***ing with stuff not important for no reason in all it's glory. It used to drive me up the wall - Every year when they used to alter the format for the African & South American Cups every year excpet use the correct format despite having enough teams to do so! Oh and when you do a cup in Community mode, It forces you to play in the same stadium, I just.... Never mind.

Anyway, Enjoy!

Introducing the All Star League, The worlds best current players represent their continents in this star studded, 5 team group league hosted in Munich, Germany!

Back
Top Bottom