The Retro-PES Corner

@Saint Angelo: Yep, exactly that Anita. Turned into one of the best midfielders of the ML world, super-energetic but with great technique and passing to match. The perfect midfield engine.
Oh, you're the guy who did that Commonwealth PES3 save and posted his journey here? I remember that, amazing stuff. How are you doing these days?

Regarding PES5, the AI is especially prone to:
- attacking "sluggishness" on the final third of the pitch (though they are often very sharp when building up play)
- over-reliance on through balls.
The former could be neutralized with improving the Dribble Speed stat - it definitely worked in PES6 - perhaps also improved Attack. Your Teamwork adjustment could also help - your description of the AI's cockiness reminds me of PES08 PS2, where CPU team play improved massively over PS2 PES6.
As for the latter, I was going to say what @Madmac79 already did: play a higher defensive line, as the CPU is much more competent finding space behind a high def line than it is when up against deeper defenses. Hence why I am struggling playing with Parma despite having had rock solid defenses on both my Latvia and China adventures.
I wonder whether a combination of all these tweaks plus more elaborated tactics for all sides (just like Chenghis Khan here was doing) could improve the PES5 experience...

The last 10 days, I've read all the pages on this thread. Then also I've read all of Sany's PES 6 thread and downloaded the best patches for myself.

I have in mind to recreate all the World Cups and European Championships. I cant't stop to think about this idea and I fear that I will miss daily life and neglect it, including my wife.

However, it is incredibly exciting to see those former football players and experience their monochrome jerseys standing on their short shorts.

It is a great deficiency for a gamer like me to have never experienced such a thing. I am very excited.

@tolgakaplans: Welcome to the Corner man; reading all of the thread is an impressive feat! Well, yours should be a challenging, demanding journey but you have the retro advantage of having time on your side.

---
IMG_1376.JPG

And thus ends a fantastic journey, losing to that which would be supposedly an easier team to beat than the likes of Portugal or Netherlands which we had beaten on the International Cup group stage. I was expecting a very defensive game against this 2005 Greece squad, one year after their amazing (and, sorry @slamsoze, for a Portuguese guy like myself, shockingly regretful) Euro 2004 win; it turns out, they took the wheel and controlled the whole match, neutralizing us in a way no other team could do. PES5 always manages to throw us a curveball when we least expect it.

@miguelfcp : Thank you so much mate. Especially you're one the guy that made me come back to retro football.

I started my retro adventure immediatly with EURO 88, in which 8 teams participated, without exhausting myself too much. The first match of Group 1, I controlled West Germany against Spain. I played a very superior game against Emilio Butragueño's Spain, which I was a fan of him. I wasn't expect to play this superior in top player. Especially Jürgen Klinsmann makes a difference in air. Other hand, atmosphere was amazing. Stadium, jerseys, crowds... I enjoyed incredibly. I don't know how often I can post it, but I'll try to share the entire tournament whenever possible.

@miguelfcp that me, I lost old account shortly after that ML Been back with new one for a while now but only started playing again recently.

@geeeeee yo this geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 🐑 I remember that list! I will consider, keepers are bit op and shots, while strong, horribly inaccurate.

And some great videos today are we retro youtubers now or what. This corner has grown man, compared to the gloom and despair of [eFootball] threads we are thriving and happy 🐑

cmon fam join the retro side we have working football game

I also finished 6th with Liverpool, selling entire default team im done with these morons imagine being paid 500 PES points a year to do nothing smh head

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 15_11_2020 13_13_06.jpg

I was playing PES2012 yesterday for a whole afternoon...and ofcourse with Jenkey's Gameplay Tool midifing the keeper reactions and tweaking the ball phyisics....but actually i enjoyed it, i think its even better than PES2013. Defending although is very hard as the tackling in 2012 is still auto unlike 2013 where you have to manually time the tackles. But the AI is nothing i have seen on PES2014, further reassurrance that on FOX we got a really poor, downgraded AI. Shame.
However my issue is with 2012 is the same with 2013, the ai is VERY direct, there is no possession play only fast counter.
Anyone knows any option to fix that for 2012? I was also playing 2010 too, that game flows better in that regard, not so crazy end to end but the AI doesnt really have dribbling animation.

Or maybe i have to try 2011 still, perhaps thats the sweetspot for that generation.

I was playing PES2012 yesterday for a whole afternoon...and ofcourse with Jenkey's Gameplay Tool midifing the keeper reactions and tweaking the ball phyisics....but actually i enjoyed it, i think its even better than PES2013. Defending although is very hard as the tackling in 2012 is still auto unlike 2013 where you have to manually time the tackles. But the AI is nothing i have seen on PES2014, further reassurrance that on FOX we got a really poor, downgraded AI. Shame.
However my issue is with 2012 is the same with 2013, the ai is VERY direct, there is no possession play only fast counter.
Anyone knows any option to fix that for 2012? I was also playing 2010 too, that game flows better in that regard, not so crazy end to end but the AI doesnt really have dribbling animation.

Or maybe i have to try 2011 still, perhaps thats the sweetspot for that generation.
May I ask, cause I see a lot bashing towards all Fox Games.
Why everyone so strict against pes2015?

I have the PC version, and I feel remorse cause I have 295 hours on Steam, while on PES 2016 I have 900+ hours.

I cleared some patches out, verified and restored my personal OF and played some ML matches on SS, PA1 some days ago.

Ofcourse there are many things someone can blame 2015 for, like rigid passes, gaps between lines, strange keepers, AI shooting on low corners, laggy menu, terrible Gameplan presentation, Or the most basic denying the 2014 heavy simulation heritage, But....

For me and my taste, it is the most basic and noore no less PES of this era. Yes it is dated for our days, but it has a good balance between arcade/sim, the physics are Fox-like but more simple, accurate to the situation, the PA1 is the most balanced of all foxseries, something like a PA-0.5 of today.

For Me the most important pros it has, is the back to basics PES physics and models and the abolishing of pes2011~pes2014 tiny body models, that so much annoys me and does not let me love those games to their 100%.

The CPU on SS in also the less cheat, accompanied with 2016 and 2017. It is of the most fair of Fox games. The stats are more reliable than on the other games, although they suffer from the 40-99 formula, in contrast to the most modern games that suffer from BS spaces tellar CPU, that plays cheaty for the shake of challenge.

If people say that pes2014 was a techdemo, of what Foxengine can do, for me PES 2015 was the real Demo of what PES can do, with its bad and good limitations.

And i have not yet tried the ps4 versions of 2015 & 2016.oOnly the PC ones.

K so I was trying to do reformation, bought Aguero, Obi Mikel, Lugano, this was going really well fam, and then...
Pro Evolution Soccer 5 15_11_2020 13_13_06.jpg
Not a single offer for a default team player. AI knows they fucken awful, I havent got a single transfer bid in 2 full seasons.

First time seeing this screen tbh. Will probably just try and test couple things I wanted to test while trying PES 3? I guess 🐑

I have the PC version, and I feel remorse cause I have 295 hours on Steam, while on PES 2016 I have 900+ hours.

I cleared some patches out, verified and restored my personal OF and played some ML matches on SS, PA1 some days ago.

Ofcourse there are many things someone can blame 2015 for, like rigid passes, gaps between lines, strange keepers, AI shooting on low corners, laggy menu, terrible Gameplan presentation, Or the most basic denying the 2014 heavy simulation heritage, But....

For me and my taste, it is the most basic and noore no less PES of this era. Yes it is dated for our days, but it has a good balance between arcade/sim, the physics are Fox-like but more simple, accurate to the situation, the PA1 is the most balanced of all foxseries, something like a PA-0.5 of today.

For Me the most important pros it has, is the back to basics PES physics and models and the abolishing of pes2011~pes2014 tiny body models, that so much annoys me and does not let me love those games to their 100%.

The CPU on SS in also the less cheat, accompanied with 2016 and 2017. It is of the most fair of Fox games. The stats are more reliable than on the other games, although they suffer from the 40-99 formula, in contrast to the most modern games that suffer from BS spaces tellar CPU, that plays cheaty for the shake of challenge.

If people say that pes2014 was a techdemo, of what Foxengine can do, for me PES 2015 was the real Demo of what PES can do, with its bad and good limitations.

On FOX there is no shooting or passing error whatsoever up to 2019-2020-2021(2019 is still debatable for me), nothing even close to the PS3 days, not to mention the PS2. Just played some games on 2012 with Barca and i scuffed almost all the shots with the weaker foot of these star players. We all know things like that dont happen on FOX. Even the strong foot shooting is overpowered and always on target in 2019-2021. The physics and on the ball feeling is the best however in any footy game from 2019-2021 but the AI is just crap. In the 2012 game however the on the ball feeling is kinda clunky you can get used to it and the AI does wonders, palyers play like them selfs actually. Horrible degeneration we got in terms of AI and ballphysics on FOX. So i cant enjoy any of the Fox games entirely. On PS3/last gen i feel there were far less issues with the gameplay of the games overall.

EDIT: i also looked up briefly the general discussion for the games of last gen, i think all the criticism we had on these games were true but bit harsh compared what we have to deal with nowdays. Those games still had the soul of PES....perhaps because of Seabass, he was producer until 2012, from 2013 its Kei Masuda, but its safe to say that 2013 is still a Seabass PES as it just had some tweaks the core game was the same.

Last edited:

When I did my Euro 2012 & WC 2014 playthroughs on both 2012 & 2013, I deduced that 2012 is in fact the better and more grounded game of the two. 2 very similar games, almost identical genetically but philosophically, It's clear 2012 was the more realistic, weighty simulation coming off of the fast paced & zippy 2011 and that 2013 is a return to more casual fun. Like PES 5 to PES 6 if you will.

When I played 2013, I got a lot of goal fests to the point it was almost totally ridiculous. But yeah I found the AI brilliant on PES 2012.

As for PES 2010, It's the last mainstream one with PS2 influenced mechanics, In theory it should be the best of that family right? But the game is far less responsive and is a but clunky compared to the brilliantly responsive PES 5. Again, PES 2010 try's to be a weighty and realistic football game and it is a lot of fun at times, Some stunning animations which strangely didn't carry over to 2011 and some wonderful moments of PES magic and random moments.

But the game's biggest abomination is that it's impossible to dribble due to the weight and unresponsiveness. It's so disappointing that you can't play like Messi or Ronaldo on this game without feeling like Vidic and Nesta.

I think like anything in this corner, If people went back and played 2015 with the benefit of hindsight, They'll realise it's really not that bad. Is it the best PES ever made? Definitely not. Is it categorically the worst one ever either? Absolutely nein.

As a matter of fact, I played the demo of PES 2015 & the full game after the last patch both on PS4 and both of those are worlds apart, The demo is ridiculously fast yet satisfyingly responsive to be fair and the final game is a lot slower akin more to a lighter version of PES 2014, It's crazy how much it changed!

But most of all, You compare 2015 to say 2021 and you actually have a midfield and some really impressive AI too in a 6 year old game, So that speaks for itself I think whether 2015 really is that worthless or not.

When I did my Euro 2012 & WC 2014 playthroughs on both 2012 & 2013, I deduced that 2012 is in fact the better and more grounded game of the two. 2 very similar games, almost identical genetically but philosophically, It's clear 2012 was the more realistic, weighty simulation coming off of the fast paced & zippy 2011 and that 2013 is a return to more casual fun. Like PES 5 to PES 6 if you will.

When I played 2013, I got a lot of goal fests to the point it was almost totally ridiculous. But yeah I found the AI brilliant on PES 2012.

As for PES 2010, It's the last mainstream one with PS2 influenced mechanics, In theory it should be the best of that family right? But the game is far less responsive and is a but clunky compared to the brilliantly responsive PES 5. Again, PES 2010 try's to be a weighty and realistic football game and it is a lot of fun at times, Some stunning animations which strangely didn't carry over to 2011 and some wonderful moments of PES magic and random moments.

But the game's biggest abomination is that it's impossible to dribble due to the weight and unresponsiveness. It's so disappointing that you can't play like Messi or Ronaldo on this game without feeling like Vidic and Nesta.

I think like anything in this corner, If people went back and played 2015 with the benefit of hindsight, They'll realise it's really not that bad. Is it the best PES ever made? Definitely not. Is it categorically the worst one ever either? Absolutely nein.

As a matter of fact, I played the demo of PES 2015 & the full game after the last patch both on PS4 and both of those are worlds apart, The demo is ridiculously fast yet satisfyingly responsive to be fair and the final game is a lot slower akin more to a lighter version of PES 2014, It's crazy how much it changed!

But most of all, You compare 2015 to say 2021 and you actually have a midfield and some really impressive AI too in a 6 year old game, So that speaks for itself I think whether 2015 really is that worthless or not.

The biggest questions are in terms of AI and shooting, passing error, inertia for me that on FOX:
1. Watering down these was a design choice?
2. Watering down these was the limitation of Fox?
3. Watering down these was the incompetence of the development team?

But im really afraid its the first one....
Fun facts, the producers of the games:
-2012 Seabass
2013-2014 Kei Masuda
2015 Kris Keith (?)
2016-2021 Yoshikatsu Ogihara

The biggest questions are in terms of AI and shooting, passing error, inertia for me that on FOX:
1. Watering down these was a design choice?
2. Watering down these was the limitation of Fox?
3. Watering down these was the incompetence of the development team?

But im really afraid its the first one....
Fun facts, the producers of the games:
-2012 Seabass
2013-2014 Kei Masuda
2015 Kris Keith (?)
2016-2021 Yoshikatsu Ogihara
I think it is a choice. By coincidence MyClub and the offsprings of it that came latter, eFootball, eLeague, pes League, pvp pro leagues, etc, all established the mentality since PES 2015.

When your Main marketing gimmick is a hard-arcady mode, I do jot think you need a lot realism things like, inertia, midfield, error, etc.

In different case, how would those cheasy formations work, on 4-2-4 with only MFs, or on 4-3-3 formation, with one CMF and two No10 AMFs, where CMF is someone like Zidane or Delpiero, Beckham.

I mean the Sane-Mane-Mbappe-Salah exploit formations could not work, if Midfield, error, realism, were essentials.

@MafiaMurderBag yeah thiss bout AI is so true. Speaking about and ML where the AI on steroids existed mostly in dermy matches, I remember how tough was the that Chelsea midfield, playing 4-2-3-1 with the 3 being prime William-Hazard-Oscar, in any order. They were smashing me elseason after season until they regressed after 5th season.

It was from the last MLS I remember I waited for years to pass and opponents grow old.

As for the state of the game, I was v"lucky enough" to buy the ge on March of 2015 being disappointed from early Pes2014, so I played the game all most on final state. Although reading the forums, when the ge came in, late release on November of 2014, it had serious issues, based in my reading, but it seems they fine tunes some issues, or polished it a little bit.

All in all, if the game was kept as a base and was improved, I think it would be better, than starting from scratch every 2-3 years.

And to give @gabe.paul.logan points here, yes shoot error is from the worse. Every input less shoot is heavy anchored to goalposts center and it is almost impossible to hit a far goalkick on Basic shooting at least. NOT IMPOSSIBLE definitely, but very hard, it is to asisited towards the goal post.

To conclude for me it is not the best or the most innocent PES of PS4 era, but it is for sure the less guilty, it promises 6 things and does correct the 5, while future games promising 10 things, doing the 6 but ruining completely the rest 4.

Last edited:
From my personal experience OP formations and super pacey players can be stopped but its the clunk that makes them possible. There is usually more than enough time to react, this game is still nowhere near FIFA's super speed. But when your defender takes a week to make a turn? You 100% know what attacker will do, the question is will your controller / input-lag / defender be able to make that move which actually sounds ridiculous.

PS2 PES was 100% arcade. 90 top speed up front is enough to destroy AI, forget all the other stats. It was always that way. In PS1 PES 19 speed was death sentence, it was physically impossible to catch up 19 speed player. Try WE J-League 1999, Urawa Reds, put Okano on a wing. I played this on PCSX like 5, 6 years ago? Great game actually.

Play PES 6 online and understand, even with top players current-gen strategies will not work. You still gotta work to make killer passes and then abuse the pace. You can still desperately defend and hold off with slower defenders if you get the positioning game right.

There's hardly any gimmick I feel, just non-stop fight with controller. Pacey players just make it so that responding is even more impossible. You can skip midfield because switching and turning alone is so damn slow there's no need to engage just play past them.

Then there's rebound game and stumbler mode where you block the ball but either it bounces off your man like a log or he trips and slips and has a hard time staying up.

The curse of modern PES is that everyone believes this simulator/realism mantra. Konami responds by making everything heavy and over animated. Then it has to appeal to myclub buyers so is inclined on simplifying some things. Result is a tragedy. Looks beautiful (it does), plays like trash.

PS2 PES was arcade I will always say that. You can make balanced game and arcade game. What does even simulation football game mean, how many things do you want to simulate. Keep it simple, keep it balanced, and you have this long-life illusion PES is a realistic game. Keeps going on since early 2000s.

Arcade doesn't mean faster, simulation doesn't mean slower. tl;dr basically 🐑

I think it is a choice. By coincidence MyClub and the offsprings of it that came latter, eFootball, eLeague, pes League, pvp pro leagues, etc, all established the mentality since PES 2015.

When your Main marketing gimmick is a hard-arcady mode, I do jot think you need a lot realism things like, inertia, midfield, error, etc.

In different case, how would those cheasy formations work, on 4-2-4 with only MFs, or on 4-3-3 formation, with one CMF and two No10 AMFs, where CMF is someone like Zidane or Delpiero, Beckham.

I mean the Sane-Mane-Mbappe-Salah exploit formations could not work, if Midfield, error, realism, were essentials.

@MafiaMurderBag yeah thiss bout AI is so true. Speaking about and ML where the AI on steroids existed mostly in dermy matches, I remember how tough was the that Chelsea midfield, playing 4-2-3-1 with the 3 being prime William-Hazard-Oscar, in any order. They were smashing me elseason after season until they regressed after 5th season.

It was from the last MLS I remember I waited for years to pass and opponents grow old.

As for the state of the game, I was v"lucky enough" to buy the ge on March of 2015 being disappointed from early Pes2014, so I played the game all most on final state. Although reading the forums, when the ge came in, late release on November of 2014, it had serious issues, based in my reading, but it seems they fine tunes some issues, or polished it a little bit.

All in all, if the game was kept as a base and was improved, I think it would be better, than starting from scratch every 2-3 years.

And to give @gabe.paul.logan points here, yes shoot error is from the worse. Every input less shoot is heavy anchored to goalposts center and it is almost impossible to hit a far goalkick on Basic shooting at least. NOT IMPOSSIBLE definitely, but very hard, it is to asisited towards the goal post.

To conclude for me it is not the best or the most innocent PES of PS4 era, but it is for sure the less guilty, it promises 6 things and does correct the 5, while future games promising 10 things, doing the 6 but ruining completely the rest 4.

Yes possibly (sadly) its a design choice as you say. The generic audiance would not be happy if they couldnt bang in goals from any angle with Ronaldo or just miss slightly, being deflected by an amazing save. To me its just unrealistic that players (any) can hit the goal with all kinds of shot from any angle. As i say for a while now we have two FIFA games for years now. We have a market gap for a more realistic footy game.
As @Saint Angelo suggest you can make an arcade footy and indeed PS2 games were arcades with sim elements. You can get to the other end of the pitch from two pass easily BUT you couldnt really turn from your defender to face the goal most of the times. It was challenging and rewarding. You couldnt score most of the time as players shooting was poor or it was difficult lets say, however keepers werent that good as nowdays so if you hit the target well you could score. Again it was challenging and rewarding. Despite being arcade these were kind of simulation elements.
We dont have this in either football games now.

Soo.. finally concluded my Pes 13 season.

Man if it was thrilling! I was afraid of shenanigans and, well, they did happen in a certain sense; I was able to only do 7 points in the remaining 5 games.

Going in the last match, that's how ranking table looked:

beforelastgame.jpg

In theory, each of the first four team could have lost promotion. So.. high drama checked too.
By the way, that's how it ended:

The defeat was luckily useless since Cesena lost and Catania draw :D , and finally I was promoted. Here how the final thing looked:

pes2013 2020-11-15 17-54-45-68.jpg

Was a nice relief to see my players celebrating after the match was over; since the other three were all on 0-0 in the half time break, I was afraid of some super final joke to happen and frankly if I'd have lost prom this time too, I would have probably put aside 2013 for a good while.
In the summer I lost Baldè, who was also league top scorer, cause I received an offer and he demanded to be sold (another ungrateful one, yep!), togheter with Di Bari, Sarno and Traorè (was a bit sad to see the last two go, since they were with me and part of the bulk of the team practically from the beginning, but they played less and less and didn't want to renew, so..). I received an offer for my super kepper Delli, that I refused, but he nicely didn't ask for the transfer.
Made only three signings; Park Jung Bin at zero (smf jolly), Evandro Brandao (another jolly, but in the offensive compartment) and Nwofor (complete forward, both fast and kinda powerful, he sparkled that early Pes saga, nigerian talent nostalgia and he was the perfect substitute for Baldè).

Will be tough, but I'm very excited to play against the big guys. I lurked a bit the top teams, and there is some very nice team building at work; just look at what Juventus put up, for example:

can't wait to play against Messi :D , but all their team is unreal.

By the way, I also registered a ton of stuff. Would love to show you guys all the offensive movements I liked the most from CPU in my Serie B journey, will probably do some little compilation or something when I'll feel like it. While 2013 direct nature is surely undeniable, in 1.04 I've seen so many beautiful and varied patterns.. and I've not even played against top class players yet!

Only Avicii, Calvin Harris and American Authors tracks, must costed more than a whole pes soundtrack list usually costs.

Probably costed more than all the games until 2018 combined lol!

Real talk fam I got PES3 and it works beautifully and I have some big plans - how do we up the graphics? Is there internal res tool, have we got any good sweetfx presets? 🐑

Also I gotta set the controller up every time I start the game (world patch) any solution? 🐑

Probably costed more than all the games until 2018 combined lol!

Real talk fam I got PES3 and it works beautifully and I have some big plans - how do we up the graphics? Is there internal res tool, have we got any good sweetfx presets? 🐑

Also I gotta set the controller up every time I start the game (world patch) any solution? 🐑
There is some line in ksconfig in kitserver in wenedta patch of pes3, that enforces some internal resolution. Grab one from Sany topic, if you want to check how it works.

About controller I can't help, as I am playing on keyboard. On those old gems, I need a pianist precision. :)

Back
Top Bottom