World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Bent was £16m, made up mostly of performance related clauses.

Milner was £12m and Villa are only quoting £30m because it's Man City who want him and they don't want to sell him.

Ronaldo was £13m as an 18 year old. (13 fuckin million for an 18 year old ;)))

Nasri was £12.5m.

Drogba was £24m.

Peanuts.

How much was anelka, viera, overmars, sagna, gallas, Toure, van persie, fabregas and just about 90% of the arsenal side cost?

What about teh foreign players in the sides outside the top 4 ie evertion etc etc? was they 20m+ too?

OK the initial players i mentioned were not cheap although Bent was definetly a 30m player when he went to spurs.

In a nutshell the price tag and the life style that many of these british players have are not acceptable for many top sides

also, how many english players are willing to learn their trade outside england? many of the french players for example all play their trade in different leagues.

what if we had a few young english players in the spanish league or even the italian league?

Im sure those players will gain experience and skill they may not get from the premiership.

Not many british players are willing to adapt and learn a new language and culture.

I'd love to see more Englishmen in Italy. Beckham was very successful, but he had a wealth of experience. Years ago we also had Jay Bothroyd, who always scored amazing screamers for Perugia.

I remember reading once that English players demand far too much money for their contracts, so they're usually off limits, same as the Spanish because of their tax system.

Italy dont have many top class players because theys eem to be going down the route of the premiership with the top italy sides buying foreign players.

There's not much money in Italian football at the moment, hence why Serie A doesn't boast the big names it once did. Just look at the teams in Serie A and they all have a good core of Italian players in the squad, Inter are the exception. If anything there's less foreigners than ever in Serie A.

I think Italy has a better squad of players than England at the World Cup, and more promising young players because of the playing time they get in Serie A.

It's a myth that Italy is an ageing squad. England's squad has the highest average age at World Cup. Evidence that young English talent just isn't coming through.

Italy dont have many top class players because theys eem to be going down the route of the premiership with the top italy sides buying foreign players.

however, YOU DONT NEED top quality world class players to win a major tournament. just ask germany how they managed to somehow almost always be in the semi/final of a world cup on a team that only contains 2-3 at most of world class players is behond me.

The problem is the price tags of these players and in a way, the usual british life style we have here ie Booze. woman and acting immature.

Jermain pennant and John terry are a leading example of how many english players act with too much money. many managers especially foreign ones do not like that kind of behavior

the question today is, who is from Germany, who is from Algeria, Switzerland...

half of the world cup teams today..expect for example Japan, both Koreas, Slovakia, Serbia, Slovenia etc have foreiginers plaing for them..

today it is not asked where you have been born or who are your parents..

today you can "buy" a player to play for national teams as well..

Just look at New Zealand.. maybe 3 players in starting lineup were called in last few days to represent, all 3 are english i think..

Germany team had no foreign players in the squad few years ago..now they play Cacau for example..

Portugal, Switzerland, France etc are not exceptions..

this way England can promote some big foreign players, give them nationality and that´s it..

it might look as racist but..somehow it is not right to do this things..in few years the multicultural countries would look very different as others..in terms who is actually playing for them..

and the second thing is -- yes the big clubs buy all the big talents but actualy dont play them..either they loan them away or they sit on bench..while in Italy or Spain you can see lots of youg good players given chance..in they home land..

Last edited:
also, how many english players are willing to learn their trade outside england? many of the french players for example all play their trade in different leagues.

what if we had a few young english players in the spanish league or even the italian league?

Im sure those players will gain experience and skill they may not get from the premiership.

Not many british players are willing to adapt and learn a new language and culture.

Totally agree. It comes down to money as well. The average English player would rather bench-warm and earn £30k a week in the Prem than broaden their experience and ability at a club in Germany or Italy for half that. English players only went to Serie A when it was the big money league in the late 80's/early 90's. The ban on English clubs in Europe was another factor.

The only young English player that is making waves in Europe is Matt Derbyshire playing at Olympiakos. He chose the lure of regular first team football at a prestigious club in Europe over bench-warming at Blackburn Rovers. Good on him.

Yeah, look down the rest of Serie A and teams are packed with Italian players. Same in La Liga.

Look at the Premier League and even teams like Portsmouth, Wigan & West Ham are packed with foreigners.

I agree that young English players are too expensive, but it's because the wealth in the Premier League doesn't filter down to the football league. The small clubs are not going to let their best assets go to the much wealthier Premier League clubs for nothing. They're just trying to get a piece of the action.

Indeed. If the wealth was equitably distributed and gate receipts shared once more, clubs lower down the pyramid would not be desperate to sell their prize starlets for as much as they could.

The whole ethos in England is wrong. Young players are paid fortunes at an early age. The emphasis is on pace and power so sucess at u15 u17 even u20 level which quickly fades away.

Ashley Young was rejected from our Academy three times for being too small. :P Imagine that happening to Messi or Piatti etc etc.

And then there is the cradle snatching. EPL clubs particularly certain ones take kids from other clubs and then hinder their development ie Philliskirk at Chelsea.

And then they decide to pack their academies with overseas kids. As long as this all keeps going on there is not a chance of a trophy at senior level. Not that I care. :P

Sky can keep trumpeting their hype and spin for ever and a day but give me La Liga or the Apertura/Clausura anyday and serie A is well worth a watch.

England striker Wayne Rooney has said sorry for remarks about England fans after Friday's 0-0 draw with Algeria.

"I said things in the heat of the moment out of frustration of our performance and the result," he said in a Football Association statement.

"For my part I apologise for any offence caused by my actions."

I've never liked Gerrard for England, he seems incapable of playing a position and instead tries to be everywhere, Roy of the Rovers style. If England are to persist with 4-4-2 I would drop Gerrard and play Lampard and Barry in the centre as I think they are more disciplined in playing a defined role. Joe Cole must start as he's the only true creative spark we have. I'd let him switch between either flank to keep the opposition on their toes. But to be honest I'd like to see England be more adventurous against Slovenia and play 4-3-3.

Ey, drop the only player that actually had some drive and created the few chances England had.....in both games! I would drop Lampard, he has done f!@k all for England. If you want your two best player to perform use the formations they are used to, so 4-2-3-1. Have Barry and Carrick in DM (one to defend, the other to pass), Gerrard behind Rooney and mix it up with Cole and one of the fast ones on the wings. They can interchange anyway, so you let Lennon run the LB ragged and then you switch Cole over to take advantage of it.

Gerrard was ok in the USA game but I didn't see much from him against Algeria. It's irrelevant because he's the captain so will never be dropped, but I've never been a fan of him in an England shirt, I just don't think he performs often enough. Plus he's had a woeful season for Liverpool.

I want to see Heskey dropped too. I just don't understand why he is picked above natural goalscorers like Defoe and Crouch. Peter Crouch has a 1 in 2 goal ratio for England. We're struggling to score goals. it's not rocket science.

Funny to see Rooney apologize for his actions and words...

I wonder does Anelka's sending home had anything to do with it...

It was the only option left to him. He couldn't very well not apologize.

Apparently the players are bored as well. And that is the reason they are playing so poorly plus some are feeling homesick and cannot cope with the pressure. :FAIL:

I know they are pretty limited intellectually but surely reading a book cannot be that difficult.

Perhaps they should learn the real idea of pressure such as our kids in the Army out in Afghanistan on six month tours of duty or the bomb disposal unit personell. Real heroes.

More on the WC pigeon:
http://www.balitapinoy.net/journal/653312/THE_WORLD_CUP_PIGEON

;)

Last edited:
Maybe we need to get some foreign players to play in our national team as well as our league.

After all, Spain won Euro 2008 with a Brazilian playing the holding midfield role, Italy won WC2006 with an Argentine in the ranks, Germany have 2 Poles, a Brazilian, a Bosnian, a Ghanaian, a Turk and a Tunisian, Algeria have 10 Frenchmen, France have a Senegalese, a Congolese and won the World Cup with a Ghanaian, Senegalese and an Algerian so maybe we need to follow suit.

Mikel Arteta for Euro 2012.

;)

Maybe we need to get some foreign players to play in our national team as well as our league.

After all, Spain won Euro 2008 with a Brazilian playing the holding midfield role, Italy won WC2006 with an Argentine in the ranks, Germany have 2 Poles, a Brazilian, a Bosnian, a Ghanaian, a Turk and a Tunisian, Algeria have 10 Frenchmen, France have a Senegalese, a Congolese and won the World Cup with a Ghanaian, Senegalese and an Algerian so maybe we need to follow suit.

;)

They may play with more passion...:P

I think they've got sucked into believing all the crap media hype about the 8th best team in the world and consistently outside the top four being world cup winners elect...

Apparrently it all kicked off in the changing room before the match, and Capello actually wacked Lampard around the head in a rage, also several players have fallen out with assistant coach Franco Baldini.

From Talksport

;)

agreed and this goes to my next question. would you rate almunia higher than rob green and david james? almunia is a player who actually wants to
play for england as well.

i know he makes some bizare mistakes but no as bad as rob green and not as injury prone and old as james.

You know any other foreign players that could play for us?

what a shame giggs diddnt want to play for us. i think he knew that he would be playing for a heartless team

I don't think Giggs was eligible to play for us anyway, he moved to Manchester at the age of 6 so played (and captained) the schoolboy team but only qualified to play for Wales and Sierra Leone (through his grandfather).

Other players that can play for England are Charles N'Zogbia, Carlo Cudicini and like you say, Almunia. I don't think Almunia is better than Joe Hart or David James and only Arteta would be good enough but I wouldn't take any of them purely because I don't beleive it's the right thing to do and I don't think any of the players I mentioned for other nations should represent them either. Another one is Brazilian Deco who has been playing for Portugal.

Sven wanted to get Cudicini and Louis Saha to play for England when he was in charge but the FA advised him against it, whilst Capello is against the idea anyway.

To be fair, some of those examples are due to ancestry or family immigration, rather than pure choice - this would be the Cacau and Olisadebe type players, which I consider to be wrong.

Yeah, it's not like England can't find 23 worthy players! Given the names in the lot, you guys were amongst the biggest contenders to the trophy.

I always thought "man, if only there was a club team that played well and based itself on local players" - then the national team could be REALLY built around its skeleton with only a few infusions - and prefferably those infusions from other teams not be big players, but "useful" ones.

Sorta what Spain is now (in regard to Barcelona). Only even more so!

Cause you know that if Manchester United or Barcelona would play in the World cup they'd have been already qualified for the knockout stages... Team chemistry is really important. For instance the reason i'd play Valdes as a second-choice gk [or even the first!] is because he really gets along with Pique and Puyol. These things matter

Last edited:
Apparently the players are bored as well. And that is the reason they are playing so poorly plus some are feeling homesick and cannot cope with the pressure. :FAIL:

They want to try working a 48 hour week in my job. They'll then know what boredom is.

Participating in the world's premier sporting event is not my idea of boredom.

According to Sky Sports news, they're having clear the air talks tonight, whatever that means.

Terry "If we feel something has to change, we owe it to the country and the manager to say it in that meeting tonight. If it upsets him or any other player, so what"

They want to try working a 48 hour week in my job. They'll then know what boredom is.

Participating in the world's premier sporting event is not my idea of boredom.

Mate , most are so out of touch with reality with the fan in the street.

Long gone are the times when most could relate to us. Steve Sherwood used to walk to the ground with my dad and me when I was very small c.1985. Now even some of the youth kids we have at Watford drive up in relatively expensive cars and have such airs and graces.

There have been a couple of brawls with such players when they tried to ignore fans or gone up to locals in clubs with the attitude ' of don't you know who I am ?'. One player being thrown out of the club.

;)

Yeah I was half joking with that first post :)

Oh .. I thought it was sarcasm, but you were half serious :CONFUSE:

Back
Top Bottom