World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Much more of a team performance. Nice to see us playing to our strengths with a straight 4-4-2 and playing the same high-tempo, attacking football we play in the Premier League. Even if we do get Germany in the second round, if we can play with that sort of work-rate and spirit then we stand a chance.

Oh, and John Terry's attempted diving header clearance was class!:APPLAUD:

Yeah we were good and deserved more than 1-0, if Rooney's shot had've gone in or the marginal offisde for Defoe's 2nd been given that would have been more fair.

Potentially anyone from group D could be our next opponent.

I believe they'll take their last game against Slovenia and in the knock-out stage the tournament begins from scratch.
Plus, look at the reigning world champions' games in 2006 - an identical 1:1 draw with the U.S. in the group stage, then a 1:0 over minnows Australia with a hilarious penalty in stoppage time. I don't think anyone after that game considered the Italians as favourites. Yet they won the title.

So far so good. The only problem is that they'll most probably face Germany in the next round.

I feel sorry for Slovenia, they have nice lads like Birsa and especially Handanovic, who's really top class...

Germans have big test against Ghana..they have nothing shure...but a big final before them with Ghana..

Crowd sounded really good too, get chills when the songs rise above the Vuvuzelas.

yeh it's about time we heard some crowd singing rather than the fucking bees.

Decent performance (well, compared to the last game anyway). Still thought Lampard was poor, Barry was clumsy and Rooney was average. Gerrard still playing on the left is fucking baffling as well.

I thought Gerrard was much better out there today, he stayed wider which definitely gave us more balance and gave the central players more space

Rooney's still lacking something, he was much better than against Algeria (ie he could control the ball, rather than just let it bounce off his shins) but he wasn't great though if he'd scored that chance that hit the post it'd have lifted him no end.

Lampard was quite good I thought. Barry wasn't though, gave it away far too often.

I thought Gerrard was much better out there today, he stayed wider which definitely gave us more balance and gave the central players more space

Rooney's still lacking something, he was much better than against Algeria (ie he could control the ball, rather than just let it bounce off his shins) but he wasn't great though if he'd scored that chance that hit the post it'd have lifted him no end.

Lampard was quite good I thought. Barry wasn't though, gave it away far too often.

I just thought Lampard looked really sluggish today. You're right about Rooney he did look a lot better and you can see he's desperate for a goal, think he's getting frustrated now.

CRAP! missed the first 65 minutes, got home and get told "OMG Were playing well!" The next 25 minutes are a (nervous)bore.

I heard Gerrard and Rooney had some very good interplay and in general everyone did well.

Good stuff, Germany in the next round it seems, hopefully we realise we need to score within the 120 minutes.

CMON ENGLAND! :))

Group D is far from clear cut. I can see the Serbs beating the Aussies and a draw between Ghana and Germany. Germany may not even make it through.:CONFUSE:

Some of the reaction was downright cringeworthy. You'd have thought we'd won the thing already. Fuckin' kneejerk media.

Yes! We are coming home! What a game on Sunday! I cant wait for another game of the games: England vs. Germany.

Fucks sake. If we'd topped the group we'd have Ghana followed by Korea or Uruguay. Now if by some miracle we don't get knocked out by Germany we'll have Argentina (or Mexico).

If we win it now at least no-one can say we had an easy route to the final!!!

Fucks sake. If we'd topped the group we'd have Ghana followed by Korea or Uruguay. Now if by some miracle we don't get knocked out by Germany we'll have Argentina (or Mexico).

If we win it now at least no-one can say we had an easy route to the final!!!

Funny thing is when the draw was made wasn't it the sun which had the headline...

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks
Best group since the beatles!

When will they ever learn?

Deserved victory with some clear chances to make it even a bigger win. Now to a great match between Germany and England!

i say, England had never bigger chance to win against weakend Germany team.. But it is all in the heads of players...once england scored today..they start playing like they can...but i strongly belive if Slovenia scored the first one today...England would not win... the pressure was visible on them since 10th minute today...

Tbh I think it suits England to be the underdogs. They can sit back and try to counter, should suit the mentality of the players aswell. You would expect Capello to be good at setting the team up for the tactical matches.

England aren't underdogs? Has anyone seen the two teams play this tournament? I agree a full strength England probably are evens, but that certainly hasn't seemed a possibility so far. Oh for an Owen Hargreaves...

Unless Ozil and Schweinsteiger are hurt. Then bring it on :)

Back
Top Bottom