WWE Legends of WrestleMania

You guys didn't play FirePro wrestling then?

Yea, I really like Firepro, but I always found the controls hit and miss. It is a great franchise though and I had it on PS1, Dreamcast and an excellent version on the Gameboy Advance IIRC.

I prefered the Yukes N64 games for the way you could make a great looking matches, customisations and the story modes (in the WWF games) which were unheard of at the time I think.

Can't remember the N64 games really, not sure I played them enough I guess.

I played SvR 2009 last night doing the Undertaker RTW mode. I think I need to turn the difficulty up, I'm winning every match with ease in under 2 mins. Thing is, turning the difficulty up means you break your pad hammering buttons when you're on the floor and the CPU won't give you a chance to get up.

After dismissing the recent SvR games, I dug the 09 demo out the other day in anticipation of Legends.

I actually enjoyed it this time and found the right stick controls to be ok.

What do people (specifically Dags and Rad) think of it? I know very little about it in terms of modes, customisation etc... is it worth getting dya reckon, or should I stick to just Legends?

Haven't really played it much besides doing the Tag Team Road To Wrestlemania (and completing it within an hour). The right-stick controls are fine enough though, the control scheme in general is workable.

I want to try the career mode out with a CAW but I'm just finding the fights too easy at the moment. Like I say though, it'll frustrate me putting the difficulty up as it'll just mean the CPU pummeling me and not giving me a chance to retaliate.

I'm not sure whether to trade this in for Legends or not. I think SvR probably has more depth to the game with regards to the career mode. Haven't looked into Legends but I can't see it having much depth in modes?

In any case though, PBB, SvR is worth picking up if you can find it cheap. The career mode seems pretty deep and I'm sure you'd enjoy that.

For me Smackdown vs Raw 2006 on the PS2 is the best SVR game to date.

I haven't played the 09 game because I didn't like 08 so I gave it a miss.

After dismissing the recent SvR games, I dug the 09 demo out the other day in anticipation of Legends.

I actually enjoyed it this time and found the right stick controls to be ok.

What do people (specifically Dags and Rad) think of it? I know very little about it in terms of modes, customisation etc... is it worth getting dya reckon, or should I stick to just Legends?

The game has probably more things for you to play around with. more match types and game modes. From beat the clock challenges to king of the ring tournaments to the career mode to the road to wrestlemania story mode. Not that they're all amazing modes but it's more than the legends game has.

Road to WM, is a short 12 week story mode where you take a handful of wrestlers from the royal rumble to wrestlemania. I think from memory you have stories for Undertaker, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, HHH, John Cena and a Tag storyline with Batista and Rey Mysterio. There's nothing there that will keep you playing for months but they're interesting enough to play through once (and in some cases twice as you can unlock certain items with a second play choosing different choices)

Career mode is good but faulted. If you remember the season mode from Smackdown 2 on the PS1 you'll have a good idea of how this works. You pick 1 wrestler and start on a title path. After you defeat 6 wrestlers you can then challenge for the belt. When you win you move to a different title path. There aren't any sotrylines for you to follow - it's like fighting your way up the ranking in fight night 3. It's ok, but without any of the build up hype you're kind of left feeling a little empty as you beat people again and again. It's very simple and doesn't offer much of a replay value BUT the mode was basically there to let you build your caw stats up.

Which is where the game failed for caw makers. All caws start on 36 and the only way to build their stats to how you want is to take each and every one of them through the career mode. If you want to give someone the ability to use weapons or dive over the top rope while running you have to take them into career mode and then achieve a certain goal to unlock that ability.

It's very annoying and is why after complaints they added the cheat to set caws stats to an overall of 94 (i think 94?) - the problem then though is who wants the bushwhackers at 94?

Create a wrestler mode is better than ever and caws don't look horrid standing next to the in ring wrestlers. but all of the caw parts on SD09 are on the legends game (with 100+ new items)

Basically...
If the roster and game modes appeal to you you'll have fun. But I've not watched the WWE for over a year so the roster means nothing to me and the match types i have played and played in the past few games already.

PLUS you can bring the roster over to the legends game so i guess you're only looking at Sd09 for the storyline modes and the match types that aren't on the legends game. I think the elimination chamber and TLC are not on the legends game though hell in the cell is.
-

Off topic slightly my favourite wrestling game was Smackdown 2 for it's never ending season mode and the create a pay per view mode that rated how all of your matches were and gave you an overall rating. I loved going abck and trying to beat my PPV ratings.

Fire Pro Wrestling R was great fun and I had a lot of fun making edits for that but i did grow a little bored of it after a year. No real big reason I just think that I have more fun with the 3D games.

ASPW3 has a special place in my heart though. I LOVED this game despite it's piss poor create a wrestler mode.

YouTube - Best of Aspw3 Part 1*All the greatest moves*
YouTube - Best of Aspw3 Part 2 *All the greatest moves*

Last edited:
The game has probably more things for you to play around with. more match types and game modes. From beat the clock challenges to king of the ring tournaments to the career mode to the road to wrestlemania story mode. Not that they're all amazing modes but it's more than the legends game has.

Road to WM, is a short 12 week story mode where you take a handful of wrestlers from the royal rumble to wrestlemania. I think from memory you have stories for Undertaker, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, HHH, John Cena and a Tag storyline with Batista and Rey Mysterio. There's nothing there that will keep you playing for months but they're interesting enough to play through once (and in some cases twice as you can unlock certain items with a second play choosing different choices)

Career mode is good but faulted. If you remember the season mode from Smackdown 2 on the PS1 you'll have a good idea of how this works. You pick 1 wrestler and start on a title path. After you defeat 6 wrestlers you can then challenge for the belt. When you win you move to a different title path. There aren't any sotrylines for you to follow - it's like fighting your way up the ranking in fight night 3. It's ok, but without any of the build up hype you're kind of left feeling a little empty as you beat people again and again. It's very simple and doesn't offer much of a replay value BUT the mode was basically there to let you build your caw stats up.

Which is where the game failed for caw makers. All caws start on 36 and the only way to build their stats to how you want is to take each and every one of them through the career mode. If you want to give someone the ability to use weapons or dive over the top rope while running you have to take them into career mode and then achieve a certain goal to unlock that ability.

It's very annoying and is why after complaints they added the cheat to set caws stats to an overall of 94 (i think 94?) - the problem then though is who wants the bushwhackers at 94?

Create a wrestler mode is better than ever and caws don't look horrid standing next to the in ring wrestlers. but all of the caw parts on SD09 are on the legends game (with 100+ new items)

Basically...
If the roster and game modes appeal to you you'll have fun. But I've not watched the WWE for over a year so the roster means nothing to me and the match types i have played and played in the past few games already.

PLUS you can bring the roster over to the legends game so i guess you're only looking at Sd09 for the storyline modes and the match types that aren't on the legends game. I think the elimination chamber and TLC are not on the legends game though hell in the cell is.
-

Off topic slightly my favourite wrestling game was Smackdown 2 for it's never ending season mode and the create a pay per view mode that rated how all of your matches were and gave you an overall rating. I loved going abck and trying to beat my PPV ratings.

Fire Pro Wrestling R was great fun and I had a lot of fun making edits for that but i did grow a little bored of it after a year. No real big reason I just think that I have more fun with the 3D games.

ASPW3 has a special place in my heart though. I LOVED this game despite it's piss poor create a wrestler mode.

Cheers Rad, reckon I'll leave it then. Like you say, if you dont care for the roster, then its not going to have that great of an appeal. I cannot think of many current WWE stars that I know (Hardyz, HHH, Michaels, Taker, Punk, Edge - Christian is back in now too isnt he?... not sure of many more!).

I watched some TNA last night and whilst the quality isnt as good, they have some of the attitude of the old WWF. Didnt realise 'Jesse James' was in TNA now. He's been through some shocking gimmicks! Did bring back good memories of the New Age Outlaws though and the Road Doggs hard core exploits.

Ah well, stick with Legends then I reckon, then import the roster from a save file.

Oh, whats that ASPW by the way? The animations are awesome...

Christian is back in the WWE but he's not part of the Sd09 roster.

All star Pro Wrestling 3. Japan only.

The animations are superb - everything just flows and i love how some move have slight botches in so like a double power bomb will have the guy stagger as he lifts them up the second time so it looks like he's hurting to lift the guy up. The roster for it was small and i hardly knew any of them but as a game it's a hell of a lot of fun when you get used to the controls. My copy doesn't seem to work anymore on my ps2 which is a shame so im stuck with Fire pro wrestling R, KOC2 or the Wrestle Kingdom games for my import wrestling fix.

Christian is back in the WWE but he's not part of the Sd09 roster.

All star Pro Wrestling 3. Japan only.

The animations are superb - everything just flows and i love how some move have slight botches in so like a double power bomb will have the guy stagger as he lifts them up the second time so it looks like he's hurting to lift the guy up. The roster for it was small and i hardly knew any of them but as a game it's a hell of a lot of fun when you get used to the controls. My copy doesn't seem to work anymore on my ps2 which is a shame so im stuck with Fire pro wrestling R, KOC2 or the Wrestle Kingdom games for my import wrestling fix.

Had a read up on ASPW3 - seems it was linked to the Giant Gram games, which I had on the Dreamcast....

i actually found myself trying this demo again last night and i found myself becoming a twelve year old again, looking for old wrestling matches and all.

im actually going to now buy this game, it is enjoyable when u get used to controls. i thought like whole time u couldn't go out the ring so when the rock threw me out, i was in shock. good they did but felt couldve expanded and could fight up to the entrance

still great attempt, also like fact they've tried to make it feel like a arcade/classic game as the game is made based on

my favourite wrestling game would be:-
YouTube - WWF No Mercy (N64) Hollywood Hogan vs the Rock

Last edited:
Yeah that ASPW3 looks really smooth. Almost makes me wish I kept my modded PS2 to try it out.

WWF No Mercy is my favourite all-time wrestling game. I remember queueing outside of GAME early in the morning so I could get my mits on it before all my mates. Good times :)

Last edited:
i actually found myself trying this demo again last night and i found myself becoming a twelve year old again, looking for old wrestling matches and all.

im actually going to now buy this game, it is enjoyable when u get used to controls. i thought like whole time u couldn't go out the ring so when the rock threw me out, i was in shock. good they did but felt couldve expanded and could fight up to the entrance

still great attempt, also like fact they've tried to make it feel like a arcade/classic game as the game is made based on

Havent done it myself, but I'm sure you can fight up the ramp as one of the 'relive' options for Austin is to take the Rock up the ramp (oo-er) and do him near the Wrestlemania sign....

You can

just stand near the ramp and press A and he will take him up there then go near the WWE sign and press A again to to the move

As a general wrestling game with a good career mode and lot of options in the exhibiton mode e.g. table matches/barbed wire/hell in a cell etc - which current wrestling game is worth getting?

TNA or SVR2009? I don't know many of the current characters so the rosters are meaningless to me. I just want the best gameplay and modes available.

Ohhh don't get TNA if you're after lots of game modes. I think they have like 5 different modes and that's it - and 5 is a bit of a push. 1vs1, 2vs2, 3 way 4 way and the ultimate x match in a 1 vs 1 or 3 way match.

Very limited.

Smack down 2009 will have tons of game modes and match types to play with.

Off the top of my head

1 vs 1
2 vs 2
3 vs 3
3 ways
4 ways
battle royals (4, 5 or 6 players)
royal rumbles
hell in the cell
elimination chamber
steel cage
TLC - Tables Ladder Chairs and...
'Money In The Bank' variation of TLC where you fight for the briefcase held above the ring (in the real world the briefcase contains a world title shot)

Inferno match
ECW rules match
Table match
Submission match

Yeah - It's pretty basic - you fight it out 1 vs 1 and with every big move the temperature of the flames grows. When you get a finisher ready you knock them or drag them to the ropes and throw them over and then they burn.

New Footage

Hogan vs Big Bossman and first footage of the re designed Hell in A Cell - Andre vs John Studd
YouTube - THQ Event #3

Last edited:
The stadium looks great :)

How gay does that arse-bashing move look though? :LOL:

I'll get Smackdown then :TU:

Inferno match?!?!?!

I might have to go out an Rent smackdown today...

I wouldn't bother its shite, for all its gimmicks the matches are all the same

And the more i play this demo the more i like it

Arcadey is definitely the way THQ needs to go with wrestling games in the future, they are shit at anything else

Check out the two-post preview that Rad posted. Mostly gameplay is different due to controls, different modes and wrestlers.

I wouldn't bother its shite, for all its gimmicks the matches are all the same

And the more i play this demo the more i like it

Arcadey is definitely the way THQ needs to go with wrestling games in the future, they are shit at anything else
It's Yukes not THQ isn't it? Anyway, THQ/Yukes are shit at simulation wrestling games, but I don't want the next batch of WWE games to be arcade ones. They should just get someone like AKI (I know, I know... yawn) who can make decent wrestling games.

got this now pre-ordered.

shall be fun, im really enoying the arcade controls now, just took time to adjust

They should tweak how easy it is to get pinned, Wrestling has always been about someone getting beat up but constantly kicking out on 2,should mean you would have to come to a point sometimes when you try something different to put the oppenent away. always been to easy to win IMO

Back
Top Bottom