eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PC)

About the latest patch.
I had 10 min matches with 2 fouls, and 10 min matches with 9 fouls (from Cpu Liverpool Vs Man City)
I saw Cpu desperate long shots at 80+ when it was behind the score
The ball is much more loose, any pass can lead to anything.
Players more responsive, especially in close dribbling , i managed to get through defenders with the simple ball roll to the left/right, which was impossible before patch.
I think speed is misconcepted with player reaction.
Beatiful "soccerish" goals are more possible now.
Unfortunatelly Cpu still does not dribble.

Do you disagree?

Pretty much spot on - AI does dribble at times but could be more, also i'll add the AI difficulty has increased or it feels harder - i cant win on manual on superstar in fact im on TP now PA1 with advanced shooting. I like advanced shooting for the control but at the same time you can still balloon shots

Why did you cut to 120fps ? The more fps the more fluid gamplay.
Im also testing 2070 super and must cut to 150fps cause more than that causes delays in key reactions. Iam even thinking about buying weaker card so not to cut fps with riva

I've tried using 144fps but honestly noticed no difference. My fan speed pick up a little, that's all. My pc is silent at 120 FPS so works well for me.

About the latest patch.
I had 10 min matches with 2 fouls, and 10 min matches with 9 fouls (from Cpu Liverpool Vs Man City)
I saw Cpu desperate long shots at 80+ when it was behind the score
The ball is much more loose, any pass can lead to anything.
Players more responsive, especially in close dribbling , i managed to get through defenders with the simple ball roll to the left/right, which was impossible before patch.
I think speed is misconcepted with player reaction.
Beatiful "soccerish" goals are more possible now.
Unfortunatelly Cpu still does not dribble.

Do you disagree?

Cpu cuts in and dribbles more and yeah i can see more frequent long shots but meanwhile the fundamentals of the football got watered down even more.

So yeah, i have reverted back.

As for dribbling with the ball:
According to this article
http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2010/03/running-with-ball-how-much-how-often.html
an average distance dribbled with the ball from a single player is 190 m, during a 90m match
Therefore, in a 10 min match this translates to 19 m/player average.
So a total should be around 190m which is a little bit above from what Cpu does.
But compared to the human controlled team, which rises up to 300-400 that means:
We are playing PES like we should not! We have the tendency to dribble a lot more than real soccer players do and Cpu behaves much more realistically than we do.

This is evident from online matches (human vs human) which are a lot less realistic than offline, regarding, pace, dribbling distances etc.

A little more discussion about this would include that if we all use all the mechanics PES provides (R2 control and defending, R3, R1 for throwing ball in open space, R stick close dribble) instead of constant R1 spamming and passing and square+cross in defence, PES would look more like the real sport. We must resist the urge to play PES like we played PES 5, or even ISS in PS1.
PES 2020 is a modern soccer game, with modern mechanics and controls. Let's use them!

Last edited:
A little more discussion about this would include that if we all use all the mechanics PES provides (R2 control and defending, R3, R1 for throwing ball in open space, R stick close dribble) instead of constant R1 spamming and passing and square+cross in defence, PES would look more like the real sport. We must resist the urge to play PES like we played PES 5, or even ISS in PS1.
So basically, Pes doesn't play like the real sport unless you handicap yourself.

How about we instead ask the developers to make a game where playing football in a football game is the most optimal strategy? How about we actually hold the developers accountable for making bad mechanics in the game?

So basically, Pes doesn't play like the real sport unless you handicap yourself.

How about we instead ask the developers to make a game where playing football in a football game is the most optimal strategy? How about we actually hold the developers accountable for making bad mechanics in the game?

Pes and every soccer game is a very difficult thing to be simulated.
Simulating 11 different personalities, with different abilities, to act as a whole team against 11 different personalities, with different abilities, which also have to act like a whole team, is almost impossible. So let's be realistic and have grounded expectations.
I don't say that pes is the perfect game. Perfect does not exist and will never do.
All i say is that if we adapt to a more "real" approach to the game, the mechanics are there to support it.
The old school run n gun approach is hardcoded to our heads since ISS era.
You know, Konami tested us, back in 2014. PES 2014 required that different approach. The result was harsh criticism and "the game is broken" reviews . Look at the metacritic score.
Then Konami reverted to the old school approach with PES 2015.
So all in all, we will never be happy.
PES 2020 has found a very good balance between the real sport, and our "gaming" insticts and urges.

You know, Konami tested us, back in 2014. PES 2014 required that different approach. The result was harsh criticism and "the game is broken" reviews . Look at the metacritic score.
Let's be real here, everything except the "idea of realistic gameplay" in Pes 2014 was horrendous. I haven't seen such embarrassing menus even in indie games. It was such a barebones game it felt like an alpha. No stadiums, nothing because they moved to the Fox Engine. Compared to the year before in 2013 where I think you had almost every Spanish stadium.

Compared to Pes 2013 it was a total joke of a game. Pretty much every feature Pes 2013 Master League had was not there in Pes 2014. It also crashed constantly on day 1 and had constant really weird bugs. If they released Pes 2014 gameplay with other things polished you might have a point. But they didn't.

Let's be real here, everything except the "idea of realistic gameplay" in Pes 2014 was horrendous. I haven't seen such embarrassing menus even in indie games. It was such a barebones game it felt like an alpha. No stadiums, nothing because they moved to the Fox Engine. Compared to the year before in 2013 where I think you had almost every Spanish stadium.

Compared to Pes 2013 it was a total joke of a game. Pretty much every feature Pes 2013 Master League had was not there in Pes 2014. It also crashed constantly on day 1 and had constant really weird bugs. If they released Pes 2014 gameplay with other things polished you might have a point. But they didn't.

Pes 2014 was a total joke compared to Pes 2013.
Sorry, we have totally different opinions.
Pes 2013 had not a single thing based on a physics model. Even the ball was an precanned animated asset, behaving totally erratic. Collision also was...just not there!
Pes 2014 indeed felt like a tech demo, but showed a ton of potential. Physics, mechanics, ball behavior, collisions (even with bugs)...and finally photorealism! It was stunning.
PES 2013 had every spanish stadium, because all was the same , with different names. No variance in pitch, color, lighting.
Pes 2014 indeed needed much more work, but other than that was a test that failed. People want to run with R1 and gun with square. If the can't, the game is doomed.

I think you missed my point. It's not that the gameplay of Pes 2014 was horrendous that people hated it.

Everything outside gameplay was horrendous and the gameplay itself was just substandard even if the ideas were good. Both combined is why it was not liked.

Good ideas executed poorly don't really mean much to me.

I have a problem. I imported teams from OF2 pesuniverse and noticed that updated faces from data pack 1.02 dissapeared. What OF has to to do with live update ? I tried to do live update again but without success.

Unfortunately, they were Random Selection matches against my cousin and not the AI or online.

The bloody game is train wreck, seriously - the defensive AI must be one of the worst I've ever experienced. My online opponent scores from kick off by simply doing a high through ball and the defense and midfield and goalkeeper just stands by and watches. Ugh. So frustrating. Used to be that the AI was so worthless that all that offered some enjoyment was playing online, but now that too is lost. Truly dreadful game by Konami. From AI, player switching, to controls in general. Just dreadful.

PES = Pro Evolution Scripting

this is the famous "ksi play" from fifa, why do you think konami made it work...

I have a problem. I imported teams from OF2 pesuniverse and noticed that updated faces from data pack 1.02 dissapeared. What OF has to to do with live update ? I tried to do live update again but without success.

Updated faces should be in dt80_102E_x64 and I have it marked in dpfile generator

Guys what does it mean in settings Vsync enable1 and enable2 ? what a difference ?

VSync aims to match the graphics processor’s frames with the refresh rate of the monitor to fix any syncing issues.

If you set it to 1 then it will output 1 frame update for every screen update.

If you set it to 2 it will output 1 frame update every 2nd screen update. So half the rate.

This is often used for trying to stop screen tearing issues by keeping the two in sync.

Try either and see what suits you better.

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2010/03/running-with-ball-how-much-how-often.html
an average distance dribbled with the ball from a single player is 190 m, during a 90m match
So a total should be around 190m which is a little bit above from what Cpu does.
But compared to the human controlled team, which rises up to 300-400 that means:
We are playing PES like we should not! We have the tendency to dribble a lot more than real soccer players do and Cpu behaves much more realistically than we do.

This is evident from online matches (human vs human) which are a lot less realistic than offline, regarding, pace, dribbling distances etc.

PES 2020 is a modern soccer game, with modern mechanics and controls. Let's use them!

Pes and every soccer game is a very difficult thing to be simulated.
Simulating 11 different personalities, with different abilities, to act as a whole team against 11 different personalities, with different abilities, which also have to act like a whole team, is almost impossible. So let's be realistic and have grounded expectations.
I don't say that pes is the perfect game. Perfect does not exist and will never do.
All i say is that if we adapt to a more "real" approach to the game, the mechanics are there to support it.
The old school run n gun approach is hardcoded to our heads since ISS era.
Then Konami reverted to the old school approach with PES 2015.
So all in all, we will never be happy.
PES 2020 has found a very good balance between the real sport, and our "gaming" insticts and urges.

if you are talking about the demo yes
but if you are talking about the game we have now you got to be kidding me

in the demo it was the first time that "space" was a factor in all soccer games of all time maybe

getting possession and advancing thru the field was a factor. for both perspectives

if a shitty player or a bad team were playing against a good team that controlled the game they were fucked

with the game we have now all they have to do its wait for the handicap to be on their side. online, not online, whatever

AI just scored an offsided goal against me probably because it was on higher difficulties and i was winning wtf its this...

VSync aims to match the graphics processor’s frames with the refresh rate of the monitor to fix any syncing issues.

If you set it to 2 it will output 1 frame update every 2nd screen update. So half the rate.

This is often used for trying to stop screen tearing issues by keeping the two in sync.

option 2 is way more responsive to play than 1, which contradicts your explanation, it would be the other way around, as for what it does or how it works? only konami can tell, we can only guess

maybe they have triple buff. paired with option 1, which introduces a bit of latency, and do not with option 2, or use some chain/swap thingy similar to openGL, all i can say is that option 2 is more responsive than nvidias offerings on my end, be it regular or adaptive or fast sync etc

option 2 is way more responsive to play than 1, which contradicts your explanation, it would be the other way around, as for what it does or how it works? only konami can tell, we can only guess

maybe they have triple buff. paired with option 1, which introduces a bit of latency, and do not with option 2, or use some chain/swap thingy similar to openGL, all i can say is that option 2 is more responsive than nvidias offerings on my end, be it regular or adaptive or fast sync etc
to be honest i dont see any difference between 1 and 2 option ...hmm

No, Enable2 also uses the full frame rate.

Do you have a 60hz monitor or 144hz?

Playing on a 144hz gsync monitor. option 2 is close to unplayable.

Best for me so far is:

PES - V-Sync Off
NVDIA - V-Sync On, Everything else default (still curious to see what the other settings can do to improve this)

But there's still some stuttering. Might have to go back to the old affinity thing again. Sigh.

Ryzen 2600x, Geforce 2070, XB271HU (Gsync)

Last edited:

As for dribbling and trick lover, I can say that dribbling in eF2020 is one of the WORST parts of the game for so many reasons. Somebody will say "it's responsive " yeah when you dribbling alone on the field, you can make some " cool " trick combos, but when you have defenders or even teammates around you is useless . For me, there are two main reasons dribbling to be one of the worst part of the game.

First - defending in eF2020 is cringe as fak. They are in both extreme cases:
  • Or they respond too perfectly to every your move, feint or trick and just take away the ball, which makes most of the time , the feints and tricks useless!
  • Or just react like brain dead or lock-in on humping animation, no nothing in the middle, or balanced. That why is so easy playing with elementary and obvious passes that you can get to the goal, defenders reaction of routing or moving the ball is horrible, even if you KNOW where the ball will go, and you pick the right defender and right position, totally depends on the AI's desire, what scenario it envisions for the given situation. The whole game is built on what kind of scenario the game has - AI has it for every situation, it happens... That why I say several times, that eF2020 you do not play the game, the game playing you.
Again back to defenders, if you look at the animations, the reactions of the defenders, all those illogical shakes, turns, pushes, illogical movements, things look like I said horrible cringe and as I said before, at the Sunday League level.​

Second - new right stick and screwing up R2. Boy, that is a huge mistake for SO many reasons. Two of them are :
  • Now you have 3 different gameplay mechanic with the same stick. 1) Feints, 2) Close control or gayer name - Fines control, 3) Players switching. You understand that the game, AI will confuse something, when you pick right stick, WHAT exactly do you want to do, so there a large gap for errors or it needs a bit more time to understand again what exacly do you want to do and use, from there the momentum of fines dribbling is going to trash.
  • Second reason - the fines control is now working well or like should be in the first place.Again I'm come back to my first point about defending AI, how it knows exactly what you do and just come ake tackle you or will humping your back, witch looks stupid every time, now whit new gameplay patch, they try to " fix" this perfect tackles with more " backs humping", but again it's looks stupid.
    To control the player direction with two sticks is bad game mehanic + the muscle memory from 20 years of R2 using and PES playing makes all this " new feature " , buttong combinations messing, makes one bad expiriens and like i see online, nobody use it, or 1 of 10 players, but will use it when he is alone, on the corner, when there is no deffenders around him, just to show you that " he can knows some stuff " .

The problem isn't the way people play the game, it's the gameplay mechanics and AI allowing such unrealistic styles to be viable and actively rewarded. Same goes for offline and online.

Those stats are interesting, but the next questions should be; Why is that the case? Why are you not stopped earlier? Why are you allowed to be successful playing a way that doesn't work in real life?

Often the CPU allows you to run 50m down the wing almost unopposed, sometimes even through the middle between the "midfield" and defence. You beat one player and they give you acres of space to run into, there is no awareness to cover for a teammate or double up.

Also the marking is terrible - you often receive the ball and have a free 5-10m to think about your next touch or pass. The main reason players don't dribble far with the ball in real life is that their first touch is under pressure... In PES you only get that once you are near the edge of the CPU's box.

I don't agree that it's down to us as the player to reduce the dribbling distances or other such stats by the way we play it. It's meant to be a challenge/competition where you try to win - if there are mechanics that are never actually productive to use in comparison to something else then why bother using them...

It's up to Konami to balance the overall gameplay in a way that rewards realistic football and encourages the use of all of the controls/mechanics, not the players to play that way for the sake of it.

Last edited:
The problem isn't the way people play the game, it's the gameplay mechanics and AI allowing such unrealistic styles to be viable and actively rewarded. Same goes for offline and online.

Those stats are interesting, but the next questions should be; Why is that the case? Why are you not stopped earlier? Why are you allowed to be successful playing a way that doesn't work in real life?

Often the CPU allows you to run 50m down the wing almost unopposed, sometimes even through the middle between the "midfield" and defence. You beat one player and they give you acres of space to run into, there is no awareness to cover for a teammate or double up.

Also the marking is terrible - you often receive the ball and have a free 5-10m to think about your next touch or pass. The main reason players don't dribble far with the ball in real life is that their first touch is under pressure... In PES you only get that once you are near the edge of the CPU's box.

I don't agree that it's down to us as the player to reduce the dribbling distances or other such stats by the way we play it. It's meant to be a challenge/competition where you try to win - if there are mechanics that are never actually productive to use in comparison to something else then why bother using them...

It's up to Konami to balance the overall gameplay in a way that makes rewards realistic football and encourages the use of all of the controls/mechanics, not the players.

If KONAMI develops a game that needs to be played like real soccer, i bet that it would be burried into oblivion and negative reviews. Because, as pesbul said, we are prone to play by muscle memory.
Like PES 5, like ISS. If this does not work, we gonna condemn the game as "unresponsive", "too slow", or "broken"
The funny thing is that now we want a sim game to look like real soccer, but can be played with 20 years old school approach and mechanics. So no hope there.
KONAMI took a risk with the modern and techically advanced PES 14, (which was unfinished), then reverted to old school, stale and obsolete PES 2015, where everything was precanned, clunky, but responsive. Linear passes, linear shots, chopped animation in favor of responsiveness, even graphics and photorealism was toned down.
Then the reviews went up, and critics praised it.
So Konami understood. We want a modern PES 5.
There you go then.

Back
Top Bottom