eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Dear me. ML is utterly fucked. The scripting is disgusting. Twice I’ve played the same game 3 times, different line-ups and tactics, same outcome in every game. First game I went into, Liverpool away, 2 points behind them, 3 behind City in first. Drew 1-1 against Liverpool each time. They had 2 penalties for nothing, and I got a red card for a foul outside the box. I created more chances, more shots and was twice taken out when clean through, not even a yellow. Second time West Ham at home, 2 points off the top now, still in 3rd. Lost all 3 games 2-1, on each occasion West Ham scored with their only 2 attempts following an early goal for me, then just passed around the pitch. Couldn’t get close enough to the players and if it looked like I would get a loose ball or near their players, I was suddenly controlling the wrong man, or my player stopped moving or was stuck in treacle. The most striking aspect, when a counter attack opportunity presented itself, I ran it to the halfway line and not a single player kept up, they just didn’t try so I was 2-1 down at home and had 1 player in the oppositions half having ran from the edge of my own area and no support within the same half. Just horrendous.

In general, through pass is completely null and void. For years playing PES I played with short pass to play to feet, through pass to play into space for players to run on to. Just isn’t possible on this one. You’re lucky if 1 in 20 through passes are 2 of right angle, direction and pace, nevermind all 3. It’s marginally better than lobbed through ball though, which is essentially just a method to use to get the ball back to the nearest opponent or the goalkeeper efficiently. Which brings me to crosses. Every cross, no matter the direction, position struck from, quality of crosser, speed they’re moving at, space the crosser has, whatever.. straight to the keeper. Every. Time. Appalling.

Special mention for the brutal, telepathic defending of the AI. Telepathic inch perfect slide tackles time and time again. Players flying in from all over the show with last minute blocks and lunges.. managing to get a touch on any and every forward pass or shot.. my players slide tackles generally involve apologetic lying down somewhere a safe distance from the action. Then there’s the hold them off mode.. if the AI decides they’re keeping the ball, they get their back turned and it’s over. Nothing you can do but give a foul away or accept you can’t have the ball, ever. Now I try it and the AI just gives me a delicate shove in the back and wanders off with the ball, no sweat. Also, what’s with players being stunned into stillness by the slightest of touches from a defender. AI can be tackled, hit the deck, get up and take the ball away, slight nudge and the ensuing confusion has my player stood stock still for seconds.. also, every slide tackle knocks my player off balance and results in them face planting 10 feet away while the defenders are back on their feet recovering the loose ball.

Then we have the action delay protocol.. running with the ball, drawn the defender, the pass is on, press pass...... player does nothing giving the defender time to close down and block the pass. Ball into the striker or advancing midfielder.. we’re after touch and shot.. no. Touch, then sluggish delay before smashing it into the shins of the defender who is now an inch away. Also when shooting the superhuman performance of the AI keepers with anything over 10 yards out. They fly through the air with the greatest of ease, plucking the ball from the top corners with *** abandon.

The passing is what really irks at present though. Every standard pass is behind the intended target or just lazily knocked into the defender anywhere in the region of the path you intended for the ball. Long pass is pointless looping nonsense unless switching the play (which the AI absolutely abused when it suits btw), and then if the recipient isn’t completely alone you’ve lost the ball.

The foul system. The fucking foul system. Good God fucking damn, the foul system. The amount of times I’ve got beyond a defender and watched helplessly as the defender drags my attacker back, holds him in place while the ball rolls harmlessly out/past/back to the keeper, never a foul. The endless body checks, blocking off, pausing from running with the ball to just shove your player off (usually into the confused standing pause allowing them to get away). The fact in Derbies that the opposition will smash the living daylights out of you in the middle 6 eighths of the pitch, stopping all flow and attacking momentum, often without punishment and if you do manage to sneak past this onslaught they will just block/obstruct/smash/pull back any attacker that deigns to get near goal without prejudice or remorse, completely without fear of reprisals, as there won’t be any. It’s absolutely murder.

On top of all of the above, I’ve now noticed my RB develop a penchant for wandering about watching while miles out of position, showing no interest in actually chasing back or heading for his position, and I’ve switched them about, changed instructions etc. they all do it.. the opposition needs a goal and suddenly the best defenders in the World inexplicably decide to step up 5 yards just as the oppositions CM threads the perfect through ball leaving recovery a forlorn hope, fullbacks tuck too far in or just don’t come back, CM go AWOl despite not having been dragged out of position or under pressure, huge great chasms appear throughout the defence giving the AI all the options in the World to pick you apart.

The issue of players not reacting, the wrong player being selected that existed prior to the last patch still remains, not quite as bad but occasionally utterly ridiculous and infuriating.

Honestly could go on and on and on (I have already...)

Oh, and the colour palette is dire. Kits clash regardless of colours and the lurid green grass ruins the retinas, and the sound effects are pathetic when all said and done.

Menus and use of them is agony and the wording of the cutscenes, messages and news items laughable. For £45k a year I would dedicate my life to helping them with the minute details that make all the difference and ensuring they’re all correct and take great pride in doing it.

Other than all that, it’s pretty good.

I hope the next patch is basically a huge extension kit that turns it into an actual football game..

Agree with the above.

Regarding passing, this will be an unpopular view but I actually think it needs to be more on rails than less. I've been swapping constantly between PA1-3 trying to find whichever one will allow me to string 5 passes together.

The looser ball was a good idea and it's led to some different passages of play but all it's really done is create confusion and disjointed games. The engine and it's dozy dithering players can't handle it.

@Negatrev Thanks for sharing those.
I meant more dribbling around a player, not nutmegs, enticing the player in, shifting the ball, going past him, is what I really streuggle with as no matter what i try the defender always just tackles.

And as nice a goal as it was, despite the ball defying laws of physics, that shot you posted above, is from 20 yards, I don't consider those range shots, I score plenty of those, I'm talking 30+ yards, every single one I take that is on target is met with a diving salmon flap save by the GK, not one has gone in, in over 300+ ML matches.
I know those range of goals are not every game occurrences in real life and wouldn't want them to be in PES, but you see at least 3 or 4 true long range thunderbastards every season in the Prem league, PES20 seems to nerf them though.

...as I said
These are just what I bothered to upload for showing other behaviours. I'm sure others have longer range shots they saved (I've had 40 yarders but they're common enough that I don't save and upload them).
A simply dribble past a defender and pacey breakaway is very common in my games.
These videos are before I started playing with my terrible players in my random DB (at least one of those videos is a few seasons into a ML). Even in my first season with them (team level 1.5 stars) I had players capable of beating a player (mostly through basic change of pace at that ability level). Longshots, not so much with these weak kicking numpties!

PS. I found this with the first google entry for PES 2020 40 yard goal.

^^ Was just about to say that goal was from the demo, we all know the game we got wasn't what was shown in the demo.

In fact its almost impossible to find any true long range goal vids on YT that isn't being played on beginner, or from the demo.

@Danny Henry I play on Top Player, and win far more than I lose, and score a fair amount of goals, so don't think I need to move down a level thanks, but I do know if i am running full pace at a defender who is backtracking, and i fake one way and shift the ball at speed in the opposite direction, that it would be extremely difficult for that defender to be leaning back, reach out a leg and cleanly take the ball all whilst retaining balance.
I don't want to play on a lower difficulty, I just want the game mechanics to work realistically.

Probably too much to ask from a game that doesn't give fouls and doesn't even have an actual trophy on show when you win the league or FA Cup, nevermind the incorrect commentary, or foreign banners and adboards in stadiums in the English premier league.

Thats from the demo tho.
Published 7Sep. Shots changed a lot since then. Long range shots were nerfed a lot.
But again, literally just the first video I found, there are a lot of them...including ones after the full game release.

One from 15th October.

@Negatrev Did a search on YT just now, out of 5 or 6 proper long range shot compilations, 2 were on the demo, the other 3 were blatantly being played on beginner or a low difficulty judging by the ease at which the player just waltzed past players,

Yeah I guess this is the biggest problem tbf. And it's such a drag for us searching for PA0 users. Since there isn't many of us to begin with you can't limit yourself to "good" connection when searching for opponents.
Lag makes defending impossible... I am sick of Online as it doesn't matter how much I focus on defending, all it takes is 1 through ball from my opponent and bamn.. goal everytime. I conceded the same goal 3 times in 1 match and got so hacked off I scored 3 own goals to quit the game (Not ranked).

@Negatrev Did a search on YT just now, out of 5 or 6 proper long range shot compilations, 2 were on the demo, the other 3 were blatantly being played on beginner or a low difficulty judging by the ease at which the player just waltzed past players,
Well, in that case there's no convincing you. I admit, I didn't check the first was demo, I just did a lazy search, the second only took a moment to restrict when the video was uploaded to find one (which was clearly full game anyway as they scored with a ML default player).
I'm not going to spend time searching for videos that definitely state they are playing on TP in the ML. I've seen plenty of goals like this and other have already posted long range goals on this very thread that stated they play on SS or above.

You don't need to believe if someone has a different experience to you. I'm sorry you can't dribble past players or score long shots, but I'm happy I can.

Well, in that case there's no convincing you. I admit, I didn't check the first was demo, I just did a lazy search, the second only took a moment to restrict when the video was uploaded to find one (which was clearly full game anyway as they scored with a ML default player).
I'm not going to spend time searching for videos that definitely state they are playing on TP in the ML. I've seen plenty of goals like this and other have already posted long range goals on this very thread that stated they play on SS or above.

You don't need to believe if someone has a different experience to you. I'm sorry you can't dribble past players or score long shots, but I'm happy I can.
I WANT THE PROOOF!!!!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOOF!!

*sorry just had to post this :)

Oh that beautiful game giving me so much joy in LaLiga. :)
Won the first match against Rayo V., who got promoted like my team, 0:1.
The following match was against a former LaLiga team and I finished it 1:1. Satisfying.
My third match will be against another promoted team, Huesca. We gotta win that!!

I like to dribble past opponents, I like to draw fouls with players that have the trait, I like to unleash rockets from far, I like to play it slow and tactical, i like to bend shots around the keeper, I like to try new moves and attack pattern, i like building my team, i like the little touches and and animations you can control, I like so much in this game... few flaws can’t hold me back! :)
But that’s just me. :D

@gabe.paul.logan since we were talking about it yesterday, just had this happening to me in the rival match against Samp:

I guess voluntarily fouls by CPU can happen on derby games or something. I played a bunch of those and that's the first time I saw one so it's probably pretty rare anyway. Such a shame since this time it felt so contextual, as I was about to enter the box and produce a very clear goal chance.

..Two teams have low TS.
I have some bs games and they feel scripted (on both ML´s) and I think it´s because of the low TS.
But it´s not always.

When I stop playing and shut it down, the next day the game feels so good and shines.
It´s not always, which is irritating and joyful the same time.

I have found that whenever i start a new gaming session i am obviously eager to play and i take my sweet time while attacking and defending properly. I enjoy setting up the match, doing tactics and "jabbing" the opposition, i like to feel the weight of the opposition both attacking and defending.
3 or 4 (SS, PA1) 10 mins games after, i find myself playing a bit more robotical, like if i was in automatic state.
I start playing passes automatically and trying the same systematic plays and patterns. I even score goals without enjoying them, unless some glimpse out of the ordinary happens.
This is when i stop and either try to refocus and or stop altogether.

Having 3-4 enjoyable games per session it may seem like not too much (1.5hrs probably), but i think its quite enjoyable.
At this pace, it may take like a month at least to complete 2nd division. :s
I remember i could easily do 2 seasons in a week back in the day.
Yeah, im 39 now, and a lot busier that what i used to be.

Could this be related on why you find the new sessions to be more crisp?

Thats from the demo tho.
Published 7Sep. Shots changed a lot since then. Long range shots were nerfed a lot.
I miss the fact that in PES 1-6 if your in acres of space no matter the player you always had a chance of a screamer going in. PES 2020 I have tried and tried and tried to score screamers with my fullbacks even CM's from just past the centre circle... Can never score. Here lies the problem imo with wanting a too realistic game it no doubts takes some of the fun away.

I miss the fact that in PES 1-6 if your in acres of space no matter the player you always had a chance of a screamer going in. PES 2020 I have tried and tried and tried to score screamers with my fullbacks even CM's from just past the centre circle... Can never score. Here lies the problem imo with wanting a too realistic game it no doubts takes some of the fun away.

It's not realistic to make long range shots next to impossible with world class players though.

Could this be related on why you find the new sessions to be more crisp?
Obviously cant answer for him, but its certainly not the case with me.
Im in similar position to yourself. 4/5 games per evening, when Im off.
And to me it looks like im having few good evenings and then bad one.
Most of the time - all the games from particular evening are very similar. Im either having great fun, or my team is a bunch of useless tools.
There was a time when I was looking into this "downloading assets" in a suspicious way, coz I started to wind myself up that the game is downloading some scripty bits every time.
Having said all that - answer might be quite simple. One evening Im in good form, another Im tired, grumpy, or my head is not in the game..

Exactly, the unpredictability that was the best thing about PES for years are completely gone. Ah well, everything comes to an end I suppose.

Always struggled to get Pro to look decent. No matter what I did. I just resigned myself to it looking not quite right. I was selecting game updates back to automatic and noticed my PS4 has high contrast selected. Unticked it and it’s made a big difference. Just thought I would share for those who may have a similar issue.

Here we go again. No Im not that Danyel Henry. My nick on wenb was Super Cancel.

Im having no problems with dribbling and passing or any other things on Superstar. Its just harder, thats all. Maybe you should try to play on lower difficulty, it may suits you better.

Heres one of the my first matches:

I'm wondering why would you change from Super Cancel to something similar to someone else?

I've kept my name here the same as pesfan and on PEN.

The only reasons I can think you did this are that :
1) you were in mad love with danielrh
2) you always wanted to be like danielrh
3) you thought you could bag some konami freebies if konami mixed the two of you up by accident
4) before you separated over differences over the direction pes was going, you both had a lovechild together and named them Pes Henry
5) your name in real life is Super Cancel and you wanted to change your name without paying necessary administration fees.

so which is it?

I WANT THE PROOOF!!!!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PROOOF!!

*sorry just had to post this :)

I'd like a roof. I can handle a roof.

So I was lucky to win my third game in LaLiga. :)

1:0 behind and then the new guys were rocking!! First Coric, chesting it down oh so lovely and having a blast after that... under the cross bar!! He definitely arrived in Las Palmas (scores the winning goal in match 1 as well)! :D

Then I had another penalty (my 4th in PES2020 ML) and another new guy (Kokorin) scored from the spot!! :D

And finally a scene where I get out of trouble with the use of RS and LS! When it workes it looks awesome. Sure you need balls to do it! ;) and some skilled player plus luck (like irl)! :D

Love that game right now!

But enough of the videos....! :) btw: please don’t mind the crappy quality of the videos. I ain’t putting up “non-proof” videos to my YouTube channel. Just a quick post to share the love. ;)

Greetings too all community members from a happy gamer!! :BOP: ...who's off now playing some more. :)

Edit: funny side story:
the penalty was drawn by Raphinha. He’s a new guy in my team too. Playing LWF and he arrived with no special traits. First player I gave a special training was, you guessed it, Raphinha! And guess what trait? ;)
Gamesmanship!! :)
Love that game right now!!

:LOVE:

Last edited:
Something properly wrong with Mbabu or RB. Keeps getting stuck miles out of position just walking and watching. Doesn’t do anything until you pass the ball to him.

Exactly, the unpredictability that was the best thing about PES for years are completely gone. Ah well, everything comes to an end I suppose.
im playing 1.0 and i love th unpredictability.thats why i dont have the update version.1.0 has perfect randomensss

I'm wondering why would you change from Super Cancel to something similar to someone else?

I've kept my name here the same as pesfan and on PEN.

The only reasons I can think you did this are that :
1) you were in mad love with danielrh
2) you always wanted to be like danielrh
3) you thought you could bag some konami freebies if konami mixed the two of you up by accident
4) before you separated over differences over the direction pes was going, you both had a lovechild together and named them Pes Henry
5) your name in real life is Super Cancel and you wanted to change your name without paying necessary administration fees.

so which is it?

I'd like a roof. I can handle a roof.

No dude. When I was young, I play football in the weekends, some fellas call me Danny Henry in reference on Thierry Henry. When I did this profile the name just came up in my mind.

Just played my last game. I’m done until they patch it properly. It’s inherently broken and impossible in certain scenarios, which takes all the fun out of it.

I’m out.

Problem is half the people buying it would moan like fuck if it went back to that and would be posting video after video of how unrealistic it is.

just lost 3-1 to a Suarez hat-trick.

Messi seemed unnoticeable.

Where are those stats guys with the CR7 and Messi stats - so much hype at the weekend and now nothing.

@PRO_TOO can you comment on 1.0 ML vs 1.x ML experience. Is 1.0ML just as scripted?

just lost 3-1 to a Suarez hat-trick.

Messi seemed unnoticeable.

Where are those stats guys with the CR7 and Messi stats - so much hype at the weekend and now nothing.

@PRO_TOO can you comment on 1.0 ML vs 1.x ML experience. Is 1.0ML just as scripted?
I don’t remember it, tbh. Played only that Ranger ML on 1.0 and had so many matches after that (with the updated versions). Really can’t tell. Sorry.

My next match against Getafe was the hardest so far. They were really better than my team so I had to fight hard and play blue defense.
I’m cool with the result though. :)

8581f3b8-f025-4550-8f9bksw.png
It’s gonna be a long and tough season! I can already feel it! I need to get those new guys integrated ASAP and put them to good use.

Might be better if I take my stories to the ML thread. ;) will do.

Loving the game right now.

Playing Superstar in ML and yes, it's been a massive struggle, I've not scored many and avoided relegation on the last day but I've had a great time in doing so.

Had some very realistic games, teams hitting me on the break, bigger sides dominating me and some right scraps v teams down the bottom with me.

When you play this game and endlessly look for fault, you will find it. When you play this game, keep your shit together and remember - it's a game - it's bloody marvellous. I get between 4 to 8 fouls awarded to me each game, I've had 3 pens in my 1st season, I'm getting injuries to key players and when I've pulled off a win v Spurs & Man Utd, I've been off the sofa fist pumping.

I'm not trying to preach to those who don't like the game, I just don't see it how the majority do. I've waited years for a game like this and I've finally got it 👍

Back
Top Bottom