eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I got fired. During the season i set free a big chunk of my squad consisting of old and/or low rated players as to have more salary to spend on better ones. By the end of the season my squad was so thin that i could never start fully fit and with all positive form arrows.

Good luck playing FUMA with the default players in the English Championship on professionial when you are not in your best shape, i dare you. Many oponnent teams consistent 50% out of Hulk players. If my players are not in their best form these half-mutants throw them around the pitch like little children.

The good news; i got a few job offers and decided to jump into Paraná, a second league Brazilian team, at that time struggling at the bottom of the ranks. I applied my lessons learned and made sure i had a big enough squad so i could pretty much always start with a fresh 11.

To my suprise al the players in the youth team where 16 years old (whereas in England they tended to be 19/20/12). I added some youth defenders to my first team, one of which with rating 71, Naldo, and he's has been amazing from the first match.

The difference with the Championship has been night and day. I have not lost a game yet. Won 6 and draw 2, very close at entering the top 10. There is still a lot of potential in this team and next season i might have a shot at promoting. Bought a new AM and he has been a real quality injection. Its so important to have players that make smart runs and who are technical enough that you dare to pass the ball to them in the near the box. This team is really coming together only within a few matches.

After one and a half seasons ML on professional difficulty i cant say i have noticed unfair scripting. If i consider condition and form and other game mechanics like how you fit in new players, that you need to rotate enough to make sure your bench doesnt hurt your TS too much, etc. I you take these things into account the results on the pitch seem more logical.
For instance, last season i tried to steal a point in an away game against Swansea with the score being 1-1 in the 80' minute. Then Dyer came in so in my strategy i checked if he was man-marked by my DM. He was, but my DM was lot slower to start with and pretty much walking on his last feet by now. I didnt really have any alternatives so i just hoped for the best. Ofcourse Dyer scored the 2-1 in the 88' minute. I can live with that, frustrating as it was, it was my own fault.

My players where tired and i just couldnt hold off the pressure yet i was still hoping for that goal on the counter and didnt go all out defence. I got enough warnings, they missed some big chances before that goal. They where the better team so sure i am going to lose if i dont nail every single tackle to perfection. When your team is in that running in the mud state, you need to adjust your play, and most of all, you need to keep your frustrations in check.

Form arrows and condition just have a big impact, maybe too big you could say. But for me thats what keeps it interesting and challening. I like how i am now building this new team and i need every one in my squad. I also like winning for a chance, but i do miss the challenge of the Championship a bit. Some matches are now just a question of wether my CS is having a good day because i have no trouble creating chances.

Take this all with a grain of salt, i am sure come time i will grow new frustrations and things will become boring and tedious and i will be moaning away. However, my last ML was in the Castollo / Miranda days, so yeah ofcourse i am going to have some fun with this. For now my focus is still on what i do like, not so much what i am missing or find anoying. I was actually expecting the worse and although there is plenty of room for improvement, i definitely think that for newcomers especially the mode as it is now is finished and deep enough to keep a man entertained.

The one thing that i do think is really below bar is the crowd (yes, i actually dont have a problem with the silly animations and interview questions, its part of the charm imho). When you have lost three games in a row, and you find yourself behind in a home match, then i want to hear the crowd booing their longs out. When you then subtitute a fan favourite player, i want to hear them whistle like crazy. Overall, the crowd should be way less generic and part of the overall story.

Related to that, i think form arrows should be more dynamic. If you make a perfect tackle with a defender who has a more passionate mentality, you should see his confidence grow as the crowd cheers him on and the next time you check his arrow it might be a bit higher, as to say he has grown in the game. Maybe some mechanic is there but it should be more explicit. Vice versa a few bad tackles and the crowd might start booing this single player if you are still equal or behind, or if he has a few bad games in a row.

Would be cool then to be able to alocate budget to a sports psychologist(s), or individual trainers (former players?) for more effective training, etc. As long as it adds depth without adding to much complexity. In the end its about the gameplay and imho the things around it should stay stay more like The Sims then Football Manager.

Okey, enough this is too long of a post already, sorry about that ;)

PS next time i feel like sharing ML stories i will do so in the appropiate thread, no worries.

The more I play ML, however much I'm enjoying it, the more I feel I'm playing a ring-fenced version of pes 2020. Like I'm stuck in a 'narrow corridor' of the wider game.
The sheer freedom and breadth of gameplay of exhibition matched just doesnt exist in ML. It feels rubber-banded.

I keep telling myself it's because I'm playing with the same team every game but I dont think it is.

And the player switching. I get what people mean now. Its constant. How many goals have I been denied because it wouldnt switch to the right player.
And this is on tp.

Yes, i get what you mean. Its like the game is constantly 'thinking' about what should happen next, considering all these individual players with their own form, condition and stats. You can almost feel the presense of this RPG layer that is put over the naked gameplay.

Player switching issue seems even worse in ML, i think with lower ranked players it more noticable. I have to pay much more attention to whom i switch and if he is in the middle of a run then i rather wait for a second not to interupt anything so he doesnt lock up.

In possesion my players also mess up many times when the target of the pass is not exactly clear (well not for them at least). I put it all on their bad skills and TS just as to make it fit in the story but ofcourse its buggy. If its intentional then it should be more subtle and with more appropiate feedback. Like see them yell at eachother, pointing where they wanted the ball or who should of taken it, players excusing themself for mistakes, etc.

I often use 2nd man press to pressure the COm too, and they do make mistakes but I'm talking in a general/normal sense, this is weird behaviour, its on or off, black or white, no inbetween, attack or defend, no 'attack and be mindful of winning the ball back'
The same happens at the other end too - e.g. a defender taking a heavy touch and losing possession.

Right up until the moment the attacker touches the ball, the players of the defensive team think they are "in-possession" meaning they'll make forward runs, spread out to receive a pass and be completely out of position defensively when the ball is turned over.

It could even look like a 50/50 to a loose ball, but the game still decides one team is "in-possession" when they're clearly not.

It's another reason the online muppets play those ridiculous long through balls - once or twice a game your defender will automatically be unable to control it or respond to your instruction to clear it, so it'll bounce off to their striker (probably 99 rated Mbappe) who can stroll through your "in-possession" defensive shape.

The more I play ML, however much I'm enjoying it, the more I feel I'm playing a ring-fenced version of pes 2020. Like I'm stuck in a 'narrow corridor' of the wider game.
The sheer freedom and breadth of gameplay of exhibition matched just doesnt exist in ML. It feels rubber-banded.

I keep telling myself it's because I'm playing with the same team every game but I dont think it is.

And the player switching. I get what people mean now. Its constant. How many goals have I been denied because it wouldnt switch to the right player.
And this is on tp.

Long time lurker with occasional the comment. I have gone back and fourth between patches. And I truly think 1.0 is where the game shines most. Of course you have to sacrifice option files. But the consequences of that are the game plays a much more organic style of football. Games ebb and flow, it feels like real football. There is weight and a looseness to player movement. The physicality between players promotes battles and the ball physics feel more free, they bounce and bobble along the pitch with curve and spin like in the demo. The a.i isn't so gung-ho with their approach as it is on 1.5. They probe better, they dribble the ball when the space is there to be dribbled. I have enjoyed many aspects of 1.5 and having option files makes it an attractive proposition. But a lot of the originality has been sacrificed here, losing key components which make pes, pes.

Long time lurker with occasional the comment. I have gone back and fourth between patches. And I truly think 1.0 is where the game shines most. Of course you have to sacrifice option files. But the consequences of that are the game plays a much more organic style of football. Games ebb and flow, it feels like real football. There is weight and a looseness to player movement. The physicality between players promotes battles and the ball physics feel more free, they bounce and bobble along the pitch with curve and spin like in the demo. The a.i isn't so gung-ho with their approach as it is on 1.5. They probe better, they dribble the ball when the space is there to be dribbled. I have enjoyed many aspects of 1.5 and having option files makes it an attractive proposition. But a lot of the originality has been sacrificed here, losing key components which make pes, pes.

I played 1.00 till 1.5 came out. I'm trying to avoid it to not get caught between the two but it's probably going to be where I go in a couple months...

I think all that you say remains true, I agree.
Does it apply to ML too? Is the scripting less?

I played 1.00 till 1.5 came out. I'm trying to avoid it to not get caught between the two but it's probably going to be where I go in a couple months...

I think all that you say remains true, I agree.
Does it apply to ML too? Is the scripting less?

I started an ml as soon as I got the game. And I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, no option. I only played a handful of games but as far as I can remember the experience a pleasant one. Since then I have played ml played through the current patch. I will give it another try, see what occurs.

I started an ml as soon as I got the game. And I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, no option. I only played a handful of games but as far as I can remember the experience a pleasant one. Since then I have played ml played through the current patch. I will give it another try, see what occurs.

Thanks for confirming.
Truth is I dont really remember 1.00 gameplay anymore...I'll leave myself in ignorant bliss a while longer.

Did I read someone say that sometimes this game boots up and plays like a different game?
Im on PC and last night I got in and played a CL game as Juve V Madrid. I was 2-0 down from first leg (at home) so needed a good game. I won 2-0 and it was a great game. Could've won it in extra time but hit post and then lost on pens. I loved the game. It played amazingly.

Then before I went a bed I loaded it up again and every game I played was horrible. It was way too fast, the AI were all over the place - it played like a totally different game to the game I have been playing for last few weeks. I tried CL, WC, Exhibition etc and they all played totally different to earlier in the day. Really odd.
I have that feeling of games I play late at day are always faster. Could be me being tired but I had that feeling not only once.
Maybe I was really tired all that nights.

Where does everyone see this game in comparison to past PES's?

For me its better than 2013; albeit its like a shell of a game in comparison. Still dont think it reaches the heights of PES 5/6 but here what can.

For me its better than 2013; albeit its like a shell of a game in comparison. Still dont think it reaches the heights of PES 5/6 but here what can.

I think 2020 could still benefit from elements of PES 2013. Like the dribbling mechanics, and the extra touches a skilful player could take on the ball when trying to get past two opponents that were closed to each other.

Other than that, I think there's not much to envy from any other previous PES.

Top 3 -

PES 12/13
PES 17
PES 15

Bottom 3 -

PES 14
PES 20
PES 19

I still have my trusty PS2 slim setup purely for PES 6, Im finding ive barely touched PES 6 since PES 2020 came out and when i do i just want to stick 2020 on.

Is it as good as PES 3,5 or 6 at the time? Prob not, Is it the better game yes id say so.

Everything to far back gets covered by the “I was younger - nostalgia”-blanket!! ;)
So I’ll name 2017 and 2020 my favorites this generation.
5 and 6 were awesome games at that time. But so was ISS in the beginning and 2013 in between! ;)

Wish I could find my PlayStation Video (that present thingy from Sony) with the top 3 titles on PS4. Can’t remember exactly how many hours I put into 2017. And overall I wish I could check gaming/time stats on all of my games. Here is hope PS5 revamped UI will deliver.

Edit: same in PES. Wish there was more detailed stats over a (very much) longer period of playing time!!

Last edited:
Would love some more shooting animations in the game, gets a bit dull seeing the same strikes.

Still not used to right stick dribbling after 58 hours though starting to try it more with mixed success.

Cracking game though glad I came back to after the mess the other company made with their game

Something that' been annoying me lately, the very 'black and white' AI.
What I mean is that in PES there is only attack, or defend, no in between, no situational awareness or context awareness, players only ever take up the attacking formation, or defending one, there is no intelligence to act upon whats happening in game.

in the example below I'm having wave after wave of attack, creating numerous chances on goal, but the second I lose possession, even though its in the COM's penalty box, my players then just think 'Out of possession' and immediately sprint away from the ball to take up their defensive positions, in real life the team would have pressed from the front and tried to win the ball back as it was so high up the pitch to maintain the attack.

I'm not using fluid formation or anything.

Annoying.

I'd say on the pitch outside master league best one yet, 2017 was my favourite since pes 6. Not going to compare 20 with 5 or 6 as the movements and freedom are miles ahead now.

This is the first iteration where I can't be bothered to keep playing. There are some things I really like but there's something about it that leaves me feeling empty, a combination of: missing things they've removed from 2019 and being annoyed at the dribbling especially as the demo felt much better. At the moment I'm considering reverting to last year's game, something I've never done before.

This is the first iteration where I can't be bothered to keep playing. There are some things I really like but there's something about it that leaves me feeling empty, a combination of: missing things they've removed from 2019 and being annoyed at the dribbling especially as the demo felt much better. At the moment I'm considering reverting to last year's game, something I've never done before.
Its funny how everyone has different feelings/experiences depending on how many and which PES you have been playing.

PES 18 was the first one to get me back to the series in over a decade and after playing 19 for a few hours i went straight back to 18 and stayed there until 20 came out.

This is the first iteration where I can't be bothered to keep playing.
Im the same..
First Pes (..ever?) where I felt like I had enough in November!

That made me wonder..
I thought that it was an empty, dull and uneventful Master League.
But is it really? I mean - Master League is shite for years now. I knew what to expect.. and this year they even put minimum effort into it, with those cutscenes and transfer fixes..

So Im thinking - MAYBE its the gameplay?
Maybe this constant grind and chess play on the pitch is just exhausting in the long run?
They took away a lot of freedom and fun from the demo, so maybe this is it?
I mean - its fun for a while to try to break down AI, passing around and all..
But Pes, in its current state, is more like work than fun..
Thats my Golden Thought for the day.
Good night.
:LOL:

Im the same..

That made me wonder..
But is it really? I mean - Master League is shite for years now. I knew what to expect.. and this year they even put minimum effort into it, with those cutscenes and transfer fixes..

Maybe this constant grind and chess play on the pitch is just exhausting in the long run?
Good night.

It's a chore to play innit. Went back to '17 again yesterday. The huge difference in freedom and capability on the ball is obvious immediately.

Also go back a couple of years for example to when the game starting with F and ending with A didn't have the Champions League licence. Match presentation/commentary was adjusted accordingly. There were blue and silver boards all around the ground. It was the CL in everything but name.
In the PES version of the CL everything is exactly the same as a league match apart from the tiny logo in the middle of the scoreboard. These things destroy the longevity of the game. Which there wasn't much of to begin with.

Depends how you rate PES games, is it for pure game play or the Overall package?

Gameplay wise, PES 5/6 and PES 11 were superb
PES 10 had a solid sturdy in-depth ML, PES 12 had stadium editor and good game play, PES 13 although had silly RPG elements, it had solid game play and nearly 50 stadiums with La Liga fully licensed with all stadia ....
PES 20 although devoid of fouls with unbalanced difficulty levels is probably the most realistic, pure game play of any PES.

Still have a PS2 slim hanging around for odd games of the old PES titles, here's PES11 running on an 80" screen via projector:

Jesus they were still bringing out PS2 PES with PES 2011? Thats mental.

edit: quick look at Ebay 2012 was on PS2 as well.

Im the same..

That made me wonder..

Good night.
This is something i have spoke about before on here, No doubt PES 2020 lacks some of the fun PES 3,5 and 6 had in its quest for realism. I'd like to see them take the realism down a notch or two. I want to be able to crack one in with my RB when he's in acres of space ala PES 5. What i dont want though is ultra easy goals like you get with Fifa which imo takes the fun and runs with it too much which means its not fun at all. Its a balancing act for those that want realism and those that want arcade.

Last edited:
This is something i have spoke about before on here, No doubt PES 2020 lacks some of the fun PES 3,5 and 6 had in its quest for realism. I'd like to see them take the realism down a notch or two.
But its not realism. I disagree that realism is the issue here. Its the opposite.
Its the fact that in Pes20 realism is clashing with unrealistic stuff thats there only to increase challenge.

You have highly realistic player movements, inertia, animations, physics, BUT they are all clashing with unrealistic, overpowered defending. Defenders (especially AI) have no hesitation and no momentum. Their rugby tackles and sliding tackles are surgical and way too precise. Add to it all the referees, who are clearly corrupted in favour for AI.
And add to it unrealistic, too accurate and boring shooting.

If they add more shot error and variety, while at the same time introducing more realistic, error and momentum based defending - you would have more freedom on the ball, more fun on the pitch, but at the same time it would be more rewarding/fun/dramatic to close the opportunities down.

I will always argue that realism is the best thing that can happen to games, but it has to be balanced and implemented right.

Demo was so fun to play because of the defending, not dribbling, not speed bursts. They are still there.

Defending required skill, timing and thinking. You actually had to look for right moment and use tackle button. Sliding tackles were also much more effective and packed the punch. AI was the same. Had to "think" and risk tackles.
It was the defending that fueled everything else. And its the defending that change the game into a suffocating chess play.

But its not realism. I disagree that realism is the issue here. Its the opposite.
Its the fact that in Pes20 realism is clashing with unrealistic stuff thats there only to increase challenge.

You have highly realistic player movements, inertia, animations, physics, BUT they are all clashing with unrealistic, overpowered defending. Defenders (especially AI) have no hesitation and no momentum. Their rugby tackles and sliding tackles are surgical and way too precise. Add to it all the referees, who are clearly corrupted in favour for AI.
And add to it unrealistic, too accurate and boring shooting.

If they add more shot error and variety, while at the same time introducing more realistic, error and momentum based defending - you would have more freedom on the ball, more fun on the pitch, but at the same time it would be more rewarding/fun/dramatic to close the opportunities down.

I will always argue that realism is the best thing that can happen to games, but it has to be balanced and implemented right.

Demo was so fun to play because of the defending, not dribbling, not speed bursts. They are still there.

Defending required skill, timing and thinking. You actually had to look for right moment and use tackle button. Sliding tackles were also much more effective and packed the punch. AI was the same. Had to "think" and risk tackles.
It was the defending that fueled everything else. And its the defending that change the game into a suffocating chess play.

This is a great analysis. The reduction in physicality from demo and v1.00 is a mind boggling decisions. Obviously to do with reactions etc.

Klashman tactics do remove the chess-like nature of games in my experience. You really get to play in and amongst other teams rather than just in front of them...

The reduction in physicality from demo and v1.00 is a mind boggling decisions. Obviously to do with reactions etc.
My personal guess is - they just dont know how to program referees and their reactions to players contact/collisions.
So they chose to Dumb down and Power up defending. They hoped it will reduce amount of collisions and wrong fouls being called.

I would go back to demo defending in a heartbeat.
Because first of all - it had an effect on everything else on the pitch. And second of all - referees are still broken. So now we have fewer frustrating decisions, but at a cost of fun on the pitch. Id pick lots of fun and stupid referees all day.. :LOL:

Jesus they were still bringing out PS2 PES with PES 2011? Thats mental.

edit: quick look at Ebay 2012 was on PS2 as well.

This is something i have spoke about before on here, No doubt PES 2020 lacks some of the fun PES 3,5 and 6 had in its quest for realism. I'd like to see them take the realism down a notch or two. I want to be able to crack one in with my RB when he's in acres of space ala PES 5. What i dont want though is ultra easy goals like you get with Fifa which imo takes the fun and runs with it too much which means its not fun at all. Its a balancing act for those that want realism and those that want arcade.
Τhere are pes ps2 versions up to pes2014.

Back
Top Bottom