eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I would like you to take some time off, maybe grow a beard, get weird and disappear into the mountains.
AND THINK about what you've just said!

Unbelievable.
Roger that.
Apologies.

Edit:
But why am I breaking your heart, Chuny? Elaborate, so I can see your point of view and respond according to your angle. Do you not agree that OP defending is having effect everywhere else?

The whole reason that the game has been made substantially worse is because the dribbling has been toned down, the AI reacts to your moves before the player who's on the ball has even begun the animation. A Defensive AI player moves faster than an Attacking Human player.

The whole reason that the game has been made substantially worse is because the dribbling has been toned down, the AI reacts to your moves before the player who's on the ball has even begun the animation. A Defensive AI player moves faster than an Attacking Human player.
So your think that toned down dribbling is to blame.
I think its OP defending.
Coz its not only dribbling and skill moves that AI can "see before they happen".
Its fake shots as well. They dont hesitate and they dont react. Plus - all you (and AI) has to do now to get the ball is hold X and charge like a rhino.
So even with the dribbling as it is - If defending was more risk/reward and they had to stick their leg out to take the ball - those skill moves would work. IMO of course..
And before we get drowned by clips from people - I know there are exceptions. I know sometimes, by some fluke, you are able to fool AI. But its a struggle as it is.

I have to respectfully disagree about the dribbling. I just use the player's real strengths. Does it work every time? Of course not, that's football but when it does it's a joy. I play it on Superstar as Legendary shot accuracy is ridiculous.

For example, If I'm running at full pelt with somebody like Pulisic I keep half an eye on the defender in my way, if he so much as angles the wrong way I can skip past him in a heartbeat. If I have a strong player, I use that strength to shield the ball around the opposing player until I'm free to run in the direction I want or lay the pass off. Players with higher levels of ball control combined with speed can be a treat to squirm past the AI with, Salah, Messi and Dybala make me smile every time I have the ball with them.

Things that bug me this year

- 180 turn shot is WAY overused by the AI

- Keeper's lateral movement is crap in one on ones, meaning they always leave one side of the goal gaping.

- When you attack and are dispossessed your whole team seems to just run back and abandon the ball

- Shooting definitely needs more variation/animations. I'm not asking for Microprose Soccer banana shots :) but some contextual animations where you scuff it, drag the ball or catch it at a weird angle which causes all sorts of ball movement.

- Shooting definitely needs more variation/animations. I'm not asking for Microprose Soccer banana shots :) but some contextual animations where you scuff it, drag the ball or catch it at a weird angle which causes all sorts of ball movement.
This does happen. But I think the issue is because they've tried to emphasise so much what fatigue does to a player that it now mostly only manifests when a player is exhausted (whereas stamina issues should not make this possible, but just increase the probability). You can force weird mis-kicks by trying to make shots/passes from silly angles, but you just don't get much of that at all in normal circumstances. The baseline for mistakes seems to be zero, but really any kick should have some chance of a mistake.

This does happen. But I think the issue is because they've tried to emphasise so much what fatigue does to a player that it now mostly only manifests when a player is exhausted (whereas stamina issues should not make this possible, but just increase the probability). You can force weird mis-kicks by trying to make shots/passes from silly angles, but you just don't get much of that at all in normal circumstances. The baseline for mistakes seems to be zero, but really any kick should have some chance of a mistake.
not seen any significant face book posts - i think last one was a PC online related one. Im not expecting a patch until jan/feb now..i think the games still great but i did try master league for one game yesterday randomly as leeds. Game one started off great 1 nil up. Then wierd stuff started happening. Super cancel didnt work and i ended up given a corner away off a weird deflection - header off the line. Then switching seemed slow and they equalized, then they scored again. I must admit it felt strangely unresponsive in parts that cost me the game. Won't bother with that mode again - but im more than happy with league and cup mode.

After being on FIFA and PES this year I once again went back to PES 18.

FIFA for all it's qualities is just too time consuming, the squad management is OTT especially down in league 2, so many games piling up and dealing with fitness and injuries and unhappy players and most of the players unwilling to join just felt like unnecessary hassle stopping me spending time on the pitch.

PES 18 works for me though, yeah it's casual but the gameplay is decent and playing French leagues with Euro comps licenced it just has enough authenticity to make it bearable.

Basically I'm stuck wanting something between the two games but neither one.

You guys sum it up pretty well. The cherry on the cake is the ML. Its sooo awfully scripted, dear lord. I tried the same game over and over again, derby match between Leicester and Villa. Most of my players are arrow up, i play at home, Vardy has a blue arrow and blinks and still cannot get past a defender on superstar. He feels so sluggish, that it is unreal. However, i know it's tied to the team spirit, which is 75 btw, but it's just frustrating to see, that PES decided even before the game that your chance of winning is below 10%.

On the other hand, like all the years before, exhibition mode is the mode where the gameplay shines most. Unfortunately it gets boring pretty quickly. At least I had some couch sessions with friends, also a big strength of the game.

You guys sum it up pretty well. The cherry on the cake is the ML. Its sooo awfully scripted, dear lord. I tried the same game over and over again, derby match between Leicester and Villa. Most of my players are arrow up, i play at home, Vardy has a blue arrow and blinks and still cannot get past a defender on superstar. He feels so sluggish, that it is unreal. However, i know it's tied to the team spirit, which is 75 btw, but it's just frustrating to see, that PES decided even before the game that your chance of winning is below 10%.

On the other hand, like all the years before, exhibition mode is the mode where the gameplay shines most. Unfortunately it gets boring pretty quickly. At least I had some couch sessions with friends, also a big strength of the game.

I'm so disappointed by ML scripting. My last ML was 2017 and that had very little obvious script.

The worst is when you know the games about to let you score...it cheapness the goal.

Have you tried league mode? Its said theres no scripting there..

I'm so disappointed by ML scripting. My last ML was 2017 and that had very little obvious script.

The worst is when you know the games about to let you score...it cheapness the goal.

Have you tried league mode? Its said theres no scripting there..
Now that I've experienced master league normal league and Cup are nothing like it in terms of scripting

Now that I've experienced master league normal league and Cup are nothing like it in terms of scripting
No and thats the problem. Master League is the MAIN offline mode. A mode that a lot of people are buying a game for.
With league or cup you take away already very limited features that Pes offers for offline players. Shame really.

No and thats the problem. Master League is the MAIN offline mode. A mode that a lot of people are buying a game for.
With league or cup you take away already very limited features that Pes offers for offline players. Shame really.
...and this handicapping (I hate the term scripting as it's evolved from a very early misconception) is one of the biggest things that the game-play modders are constantly trying to find out how to remove. You'd think that would tell Konami something! But I think they fear complaints of 'too easy' more than the 'scripting' complaints for some reason.

out of all the previous ones since pes 2016 this one has the most insane handicapping

even overcoming it becomes a slog im not even bad at this years version on superstar around the same as i was on pes 2018 ability wise but im just not finding enjoyment in ML other than laughing at how it stops me doing what i try pull off

I have to be honest, I have not even started a ML yet but intend to do so this weekend. I'm very interested to see what I experience in terms of handicapping. I'll be playing as Chelsea on Superstar. Ruud Guillit makes a joyous return to managing Chelsea :)

Thanks to the couple of people that posted replies to me a few pages back. I'm still on the fence on buying this game. I have several games on the backburner which I want to finish and playing any football game always takes away too much time. I've been wanting to finish all the Assassin's Creed games (halfway through Revelations now) and then GTA V (which I only got halfway through) and RDR 2 (I got maybe 20% through it).

I've got PES 2018 (just need to re-download it) and if I sign up to Xbox Game pass, I could get PES 2019 for a month or two. Perhaps by the time I finish those other games, PES 2020 will be on the game pass. Plus, I watch so much football that I'm ok with not playing a football game for a while. I do really like the demo but I'm not hearing anything to really change my mind as yet :P

Hey guys. Can somebody give me an advice how to solve the problem with dublicate players and teams in PES 2020? I mean chinese clubs like Guangzhou, Shanghai etc. which are in the AFC Champions league and in the Chinese league.

Hey guys. Can somebody give me an advice how to solve the problem with dublicate players and teams in PES 2020? I mean chinese clubs like Guangzhou, Shanghai etc. which are in the AFC Champions league and in the Chinese league.
What problem do you have with this?

@Negatrev if we can go it to a more philosophical level , we could say "scripting" is the true term, cause the stats handicapping/boosting is a result of lazy coding (script). Although i assume the correct term is used to describe something 100% predetermined.

Last edited:
Of course. It's the common prolbem. Everyone has it on PS4 platform.
So i REPEAT MY QUESTION, in your ML they are playing now two GZ EVERGRANDE for example? Right now? You can show me screenshot from inside ML menu that both teams exist?? (NOT EDIT MODE OR TEAM SELECTION SCREEN)

Thanks to the couple of people that posted replies to me a few pages back. I'm still on the fence on buying this game. I have several games on the backburner which I want to finish and playing any football game always takes away too much time. I've been wanting to finish all the Assassin's Creed games (halfway through Revelations now) and then GTA V (which I only got halfway through) and RDR 2 (I got maybe 20% through it).

I've got PES 2018 (just need to re-download it) and if I sign up to Xbox Game pass, I could get PES 2019 for a month or two. Perhaps by the time I finish those other games, PES 2020 will be on the game pass. Plus, I watch so much football that I'm ok with not playing a football game for a while. I do really like the demo but I'm not hearing anything to really change my mind as yet :P

For what it's worth, this game imo in exhibition (and league and cup mode) with the horizon-expanding new stadium camera is leagues ahead of any other pes on ps4, especially pes 19 which I found the blandest, most stale pes in memory.

If you're buying for ML, beware. Although you do get used to the handicapping.
But in pure gameplay, with klashman tactics, it's the best replication of football by some distance I think.

And that's allowing for the criticisms re passing and shooting freedom and fouls.

What konami has achieved away from ML, where they decide to vandalize their own home for some reason, is extraordinary in terms of capturing the living organism that is a football match, the movements of teams as a whole in relation to one another. You feel yourself in the middle of something dynamic and shifting when trying to make the correct angle to feed your winger for him to run at his fullback, or to release a midfielder beyond the opposition def mf line. It rewards football knowledge and creative thinking.

I'm not by any means saying buy it, I never would. But rest assured, if you can look past shooting variety, the base game in exhibition mode is definitely worth a go for casual play.

Back
Top Bottom