eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I haven't noticed PES going towards simulation, last semi attempt was 15 everything has had a very arcadey feel since.
What PES does though is replicates real world football. At times what you see on your screen is exactly how real life football unfolds. So while it's not an out and out sim it most definitely has sim qualities no other football title can touch not that we have an abundance these days.

I dont think we will ever have a sim title tbh with football, Devs find it hard enough at times making arcade football titles nevermind full on sim.

Last edited:
What PES does though is replicates real world football. At times what you see on your screen is exactly how real life football unfolds. So while it's not an out and out sim it most definitely has sim qualities no other football title can touch not that we have an abundance these days.
I'm not sure, usually associate sim with real life and when see clumsiness of PES and slickness of FIFA I think neither are sim, both just arcade spectacles for the masses.

Playing Liverpool in a regular League now. Lot of fun, just had a really hard game against Crystal Palace, they were 2-1 up at 16 minutes so I eventually brought on Salah who I was resting, switched into 3-5-2 and all attack, and at least I got the equalizer.
Using the AI’s weapon for revenge! ;)
class!! :D

Last edited:
I really can't say i feel the game being dumbed down for the sake of esport entertainment or things like that. Much more i am happy to see the core philosophy of the game is going more towards simulation quality with every release since 2018. In replicating a football game it is so much ahead that it is really frightening, as quality is often made by the market competition.

Asking for gameplay perfection is really not necessary, as there is no game in sight that come close - even if all of us don't see the game at the point we want it to be.

I think the game itself is good. I liked the shooting, dribbling felt fine, it looks great, I was able to race past slower defenders etc etc. My only gripe was the AI. Given I really only play BAL, the AI is that much more important because I'm only controlling 1 player out of 22. The AI was just poor when spent my night with 2020 lite. Still poor defensively, still poor positionally (massive gaps constantly in the midfield), and just bad decision making overall. I just didn't enjoy the AI and unfortunately the AI makes or breaks my experience.

I get it though. To me it was more like they're tailoring the game to improve the experiences they're most focused on which is and has been multiplayer. So it would make sense for the AI to be.......less of a presence? if you want the human player to have more impact on the outcome of matches.

But honestly who knows. At least this sounds good in my head lol.

As I said, the game has clearly improved. Unfortunately the AI doesn't feel like one of those improvements, which means playing this just won't be a good experience for me.

Playing Liverpool in a regular League now. Lot of fun, just had a really hard game against Crystal Palace, they were 2-1 up at 16 minutes so I eventually brought on Salah who I was resting, switched into 3-5-2 and all attack, and at least I got the equalizer.

I'm playing (veeery on and off) a Liverpool ML as well (on Superstar tho) and I think too it's very fun if you take the game for what it is. In my opinion this year when you pick up a big team with the intention of creating football you'll have more fun than picking up a small team and grind, or at least it's my taste. You'll have the chance to see more situations around the field and you'll have more options available.

The question remains... did a football video game ever feel better?

In terms of controller play there's maybe a few you thought it can't get any better than this, graphics are amazing (ps1 lol) and so realistic, feels good but to me there's more potential.

I'm playing (veeery on and off) a Liverpool ML as well (on Superstar tho) and I think too it's very fun if you take the game for what it is. In my opinion this year when you pick up a big team with the intention of creating football you'll have more fun than picking up a small team and grind, or at least it's my taste. You'll have the chance to see more situations around the field and you'll have more options available.

I am playing on Top player, the 'regular' bit was just that it is not the Master League. The difficulty seems pretty good for Liverpool, I would deffo be struggling with Norwich or something iike that. I only went from Pro to TP in Master League in my fourth season, using Parma.

I couldn't localize the reply by PRO_TOO when he said game is different when using PES_UNIVERSE vs stock.
I agree %100, not becasue of tactics or liveupdate, there some other reasons.
I ALWAYS felt the difference in PES for the past 6 versions (since 2014) when playing using a patch and when playing complete bone-stock game (fresh game without anything).
My theory is that when PES loads data from internal files, that is much more smoother and organic than loading data from the edit.bin (save file), gameplay and player data may be different and some hidden elements may not be stored in the aforementioned save.
I hate to say it so modders don't mistakenly get upset.

I am playing on Top player, the 'regular' bit was just that it is not the Master League. The difficulty seems pretty good for Liverpool, I would deffo be struggling with Norwich or something iike that. I only went from Pro to TP in Master League in my fourth season, using Parma.

Sorry, I completely misread the regular bit :LOL: .

By the way- yes, I think this year the difference in experience between a small and a big team is way more marked than the years before.

I couldn't localize the reply by PRO_TOO when he said game is different when using PES_UNIVERSE vs stock.
I agree %100, not becasue of tactics or liveupdate, there some other reasons.
I ALWAYS felt the difference in PES for the past 6 versions (since 2014) when playing using a patch and when playing complete bone-stock game (fresh game without anything).
My theory is that when PES loads data from internal files, that is much more smoother and organic than loading data from the edit.bin (save file), gameplay and player data may be different and some hidden elements may not be stored in the aforementioned save.
I hate to say it so modders don't mistakenly get upset.
:SAL:
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/efootball-pes-2020-discussion-thread-ps4-xbox-one.80779/post-3476673

I got Game Pass last night and started downloading PES (it was only at the Ready to Play stage). Had a couple of games - one as Argentina and one as Portugal. When I get home from work tonight I'll try and start up a League season or Master League.

it's got the the point now where rather than look forward to playing my ML, on my allotted gaming days (i only get a few per week), im finding myself playing other games instead and ignoring PES20 as it is starting to be come repetitive, its all pass and move 1-2 team goals, which as nice as they are, get very tedious.

And the basics, attention to detail is just abysmal how so much is wrong.

Fed up with having COM players smash me to the ground and never getting a FK for it
Fed up of COM players being able to hold off 3 of my players whilst still sprinting full speed and shooting from 30 yards
Fed up of the complete moronic fouls/ref logic and conceding FK's when the COM defender KICKS ME
Fed up with the abysmal often wrong, infactual commentary that doesn't even relate to whats happening in-game
Fed up with COM team players celebrating wildly when they score a consolation goal in the 90th min when I'm already 5-0 up
Fed up of the pointless cut scenes in ML that do nothing and add absolutely nothing to the game
Fed up with the total lack of any player interactivity, or club management within ML
Fed up with that repetitive stupid manager animation of the sidelines.
Fed up with the total omission of any visible trophy when you win the league or cup
Fed up with not even being able to see other scores from your league at half time
Fed up with the broken player ratings - win 5-0 your CF scores 4 and only gets rated 8 ?!!!
Fed up with the oh-so-easy transfers - have the money?? you can sign anyone
Fed up with the monotonous wall of sound that is supposed to be matchday crowds.
Fed up with the bug in edit mode that doesnt let you change your net colours from whatever team you edited.
Fed up with playing every game in the same bloody stadiums.
Fed up with how momentum, foot planting, inertia and stats are largely ignored when dribbling and the COM reads every input
Fed up with the blatant scripting/cheating from the AI where it dumbs down and handicaps your players whilst boosting its own.

Just fed up basically, same things over and over every single year.

it's got the the point now where rather than look forward to playing my ML, on my allotted gaming days (i only get a few per week), im finding myself playing other games instead and ignoring PES20 as it is starting to be come repetitive, its all pass and move 1-2 team goals, which as nice as they are, get very tedious.

And the basics, attention to detail is just abysmal how so much is wrong.

Fed up with having COM players smash me to the ground and never getting a FK for it
Fed up of COM players being able to hold off 3 of my players whilst still sprinting full speed and shooting from 30 yards
Fed up of the complete moronic fouls/ref logic and conceding FK's when the COM defender KICKS ME
Fed up with the abysmal often wrong, infactual commentary that doesn't even relate to whats happening in-game
Fed up with COM team players celebrating wildly when they score a consolation goal in the 90th min when I'm already 5-0 up
Fed up of the pointless cut scenes in ML that do nothing and add absolutely nothing to the game
Fed up with the total lack of any player interactivity, or club management within ML
Fed up with that repetitive stupid manager animation of the sidelines.
Fed up with the total omission of any visible trophy when you win the league or cup
Fed up with not even being able to see other scores from your league at half time
Fed up with the broken player ratings - win 5-0 your CF scores 4 and only gets rated 8 ?!!!
Fed up with the oh-so-easy transfers - have the money?? you can sign anyone
Fed up with the monotonous wall of sound that is supposed to be matchday crowds.
Fed up with the bug in edit mode that doesnt let you change your net colours from whatever team you edited.
Fed up with playing every game in the same bloody stadiums.
Fed up with how momentum, foot planting, inertia and stats are largely ignored when dribbling and the COM reads every input
Fed up with the blatant scripting/cheating from the AI where it dumbs down and handicaps your players whilst boosting its own.

Just fed up basically, same things over and over every single year.

But you go to FIFA and all that doesn't seem so bad when you get back then you get bored and spend time playing older PES games then you go back to FIFA and PES then it's next year and two new games...

Why do we put ourselves through this never ending quest to find footballing perfection.

I downloaded the lite version and tried to play MyClub, it wasn't so bad that I thought it would be but my internet connection is terrible and every single match is lagged, but what irritated me the most is the F scripting and those F narrows and team spirit, Konami should forget this shit and focus only on player stats, it would be a tremendous difference in the gameplay.

And the basics, attention to detail is just abysmal how so much is wrong....

All those are valid points, no doubt!

Fed up with having COM players smash me to the ground and never getting a FK for it same here, but the latest gameplay exe from amartingil tones that down quite a lot.
Fed up of COM players being able to hold off 3 of my players whilst still sprinting full speed and shooting from 30 yards mmhh...don´t really feel that. COuld be down to the gameplay mod though, I´m using.
Fed up of the complete moronic fouls/ref logic and conceding FK's when the COM defender KICKS ME absolutely same here. I hate it! Moving the keeper doesn´t really help.
Fed up with the abysmal often wrong, infactual commentary that doesn't even relate to whats happening in-game turned off commentary...can´t stand it no more.
Fed up with COM team players celebrating wildly when they score a consolation goal in the 90th min when I'm already 5-0 up also same here. Vice versa it only works, when I run towards the ball after scoring.
Fed up of the pointless cut scenes in ML that do nothing and add absolutely nothing to the game yes, also same here. Plus...all that fuss about managers, but when you play, you see someone else on the sideline...
Fed up with the total lack of any player interactivity, or club management within ML also same here. There would be enough room for stuff like that.
Fed up with that repetitive stupid manager animation of the sidelines. lol, yes. It´s always the same "Hell, why didn´t he score!!!!??? But well, nice effort!"
Fed up with the total omission of any visible trophy when you win the league or cup I don´t really get what you mean there. When they won and celebrate, they hold up the trophy high...no?
Fed up with not even being able to see other scores from your league at half time Yes, I hate that either and I know we already had this one in some release a couple of years back.
Fed up with the broken player ratings - win 5-0 your CF scores 4 and only gets rated 8 ?!!! same here, but....not that important to me.
Fed up with the oh-so-easy transfers - have the money?? you can sign anyone Don´t know...even I have enough money, this year I can´t sign who I want. Well I´m just in the 2nd season though, got promoted to the first division, so I don´t know how it is after a couple of seasons when you are actually following up to the big teams.
Fed up with the monotonous wall of sound that is supposed to be matchday crowds. Never really had high hopes for audio, so...
Fed up with the bug in edit mode that doesnt let you change your net colours from whatever team you edited. never tried
Fed up with playing every game in the same bloody stadiums. using stadium server...lol
Fed up with how momentum, foot planting, inertia and stats are largely ignored when dribbling and the COM reads every input I can´t second that, tbh
Fed up with the blatant scripting/cheating from the AI where it dumbs down and handicaps your players whilst boosting its own. yes, but also the mods and difficulty level I use, really tone that down.

I really do agree to most of those points, but still am able to enjoy this game and see the beauty of it.
At the moment the free-kicks from AI that gets into the net 9 times out of 10 bug me the most.
I steer the keeper and place him in the center of the goal, but often it doesn´t help.
Same with the strange foul decisions. AI gets too many favours here.

But all in all....personally I´m quite happy with the game.......for now.

All those are valid points, no doubt!

Fed up with having COM players smash me to the ground and never getting a FK for it same here, but the latest gameplay exe from amartingil tones that down quite a lot.
Fed up of COM players being able to hold off 3 of my players whilst still sprinting full speed and shooting from 30 yards mmhh...don´t really feel that. COuld be down to the gameplay mod though, I´m using.
Fed up of the complete moronic fouls/ref logic and conceding FK's when the COM defender KICKS ME absolutely same here. I hate it! Moving the keeper doesn´t really help.
Fed up with the abysmal often wrong, infactual commentary that doesn't even relate to whats happening in-game turned off commentary...can´t stand it no more.
Fed up with COM team players celebrating wildly when they score a consolation goal in the 90th min when I'm already 5-0 up also same here. Vice versa it only works, when I run towards the ball after scoring.
Fed up of the pointless cut scenes in ML that do nothing and add absolutely nothing to the game yes, also same here. Plus...all that fuss about managers, but when you play, you see someone else on the sideline...
Fed up with the total lack of any player interactivity, or club management within ML also same here. There would be enough room for stuff like that.
Fed up with that repetitive stupid manager animation of the sidelines. lol, yes. It´s always the same "Hell, why didn´t he score!!!!??? But well, nice effort!"
Fed up with the total omission of any visible trophy when you win the league or cup I don´t really get what you mean there. When they won and celebrate, they hold up the trophy high...no?
Fed up with not even being able to see other scores from your league at half time Yes, I hate that either and I know we already had this one in some release a couple of years back.
Fed up with the broken player ratings - win 5-0 your CF scores 4 and only gets rated 8 ?!!! same here, but....not that important to me.
Fed up with the oh-so-easy transfers - have the money?? you can sign anyone Don´t know...even I have enough money, this year I can´t sign who I want. Well I´m just in the 2nd season though, got promoted to the first division, so I don´t know how it is after a couple of seasons when you are actually following up to the big teams.
Fed up with the monotonous wall of sound that is supposed to be matchday crowds. Never really had high hopes for audio, so...
Fed up with the bug in edit mode that doesnt let you change your net colours from whatever team you edited. never tried
Fed up with playing every game in the same bloody stadiums. using stadium server...lol
Fed up with how momentum, foot planting, inertia and stats are largely ignored when dribbling and the COM reads every input I can´t second that, tbh
Fed up with the blatant scripting/cheating from the AI where it dumbs down and handicaps your players whilst boosting its own. yes, but also the mods and difficulty level I use, really tone that down.

I really do agree to most of those points, but still am able to enjoy this game and see the beauty of it.
At the moment the free-kicks from AI that gets into the net 9 times out of 10 bug me the most.
I steer the keeper and place him in the center of the goal, but often it doesn´t help.
Same with the strange foul decisions. AI gets too many favours here.

But all in all....personally I´m quite happy with the game.......for now.

Are you playing on PS4?

For the last 2 says I switched playing between demo and current version of the game, and can honestly say the current build is much more mature in game flow, ball physics, animations, speed, collisions and AI variation and interaction with the human gameplay (hell even graphics and some shadows seem better). AND this comes from someone who loved the demo so much and was not satisfied with the public release.I certainly believe now that demo praising is an act of nostalgia alone (and denial) and full game is improving a lot from release (and from demo).
Probably only some collisions and fouls are not called rightly for fouls, but again some fouls in the demo were also cheesy!
My 2 cents. I am vastly enjoying the game in its current state
PS: AI in demo is so primitive (top player vs top player)

Back
Top Bottom