eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Went back up to -1 and I felt a lot more in control. Was wrong footing defenders and running past them like I'm used to. And then they catch up like I'm used to lol. Which, as I said before, I can deal with as long as I'm agile enough on the ball.

I'm still not entirely sure what to about difficulty though. Played two matches tonight. I'll talk more about them when I upload pics and vids when the sun is up.

New legends :

Fernando Torres
Diego Forlan
Xabi Alonso

Faces :
ESUOvfxWoAEKEbb

I've decided to give it a go since i missed last two Data Packs and some users were reporting that game is absolutely amazeballs right now. Played 5 games on my old ML save, with 93 Team Spirit.

I can safely say that, to me, absolutely nothing has changed since last time I played it. Overpowered AI that bullies you constantly, but when you sneeze at them - its a foul. Game is extremely unresponsive and you feel like you are battling the controller all the time.

The minute I scored the goal AI was turning on Hulk mode and most of the goals I conceded were turn and shoot, where my defender could not get to AI player due to some fucking magic force field around them.

I honestly dont know why I did this to myself. Now Im just annoyed...

I'll get my coat.

Hey 'roth since when were you a made man?

i played yesterday until the maintenance kicked me out.

I kinda disagree on the soul less goals:
it all depends on how you choose to play, i believe. It depends on the difficulty as well.

For example, against the CPU, it's not that i cannot win on SS and Legendary, but i do not enjoy it. You have to play quick passes and shoot at first sight, usually like the CPU does (turn & shoot in the box). Bores me to death. It only helps you develop skills for the usual online experience (which would not be enjoyable either).
I rather play TopPlayer, where i can try different routes, try different angles for shooting, chip shots, crosses, dribbling.. even if i get to win most games, this is a lot more fun to me (even if the CPU gets into rage mode every once in a while and score shitty impossible goals).

For online, i play divisions, this past week i was using Roma.
most of the times you get PSG, Barca, Liverpool etc.. most of the time you play agains players that play tikitaka pressing shit... but its not the same as SS or Legendary, they make errors which can be exploited, and by scoring a nice goal you can pretty much feel how they scream to their tv and try to score a cheap goal desperately.
Sometimes you get people who use superteams and are actually good, these are very rare to find but even then if you get spanked it feels right (?).
But in the rarest of cases, you get people who play Atalanta, OM, and teams of the sort. These people are the most skilled and the ones i enjoy the most to play against.

I'd suggest you to give it a try, be patient on the build, cut passing lanes, make your defenders stand their ground and clear the ball whenever needed. no shame in that.
Also, no dumb/blind passes, no lighning speed counter attack in every possession. Pass the ball to the sides and back, looking for an opening and trust your skills and your players. What works for me the most is covering the ball with my player body, people get insanely desperate and try to kill me LOL. You can imagine how dangerous Dzeko is on a green arrow if used effectively.

Anyway, i just wanted to share this my friends.
Have fun anyhow you like, but this has worked for me like a charm.
This is the best PES for me since probably 2013/11

I get a little satisfaction from the sheer punch of the initial shot but then, yeah, that feeling of emptiness and nothing quite coheres.

I've screwed up a bit. I've gone back and forth between pes and fifa the last couple days and ended up going off both.

I'd conditioned myself to fifa's lightness but now it feels hollow after pes's weight!

Silly me...
I genuinely think it's because of the net physics. The nets don't really look like any nets you see in Europe (exception of Italy maybe). And they are just too loose.

i played yesterday until the maintenance kicked me out.

I kinda disagree on the soul less goals:
it all depends on how you choose to play, i believe. It depends on the difficulty as well.

For example, against the CPU, it's not that i cannot win on SS and Legendary, but i do not enjoy it. You have to play quick passes and shoot at first sight, usually like the CPU does (turn & shoot in the box). Bores me to death. It only helps you develop skills for the usual online experience (which would not be enjoyable either).
I rather play TopPlayer, where i can try different routes, try different angles for shooting, chip shots, crosses, dribbling.. even if i get to win most games, this is a lot more fun to me (even if the CPU gets into rage mode every once in a while and score shitty impossible goals).

most of the times you get PSG, Barca, Liverpool etc.. most of the time you play agains players that play tikitaka pressing shit... but its not the same as SS or Legendary, they make errors which can be exploited, and by scoring a nice goal you can pretty much feel how they scream to their tv and try to score a cheap goal desperately.
Sometimes you get people who use superteams and are actually good, these are very rare to find but even then if you get spanked it feels right (?).
But in the rarest of cases, you get people who play Atalanta, OM, and teams of the sort. These people are the most skilled and the ones i enjoy the most to play against.

I'd suggest you to give it a try, be patient on the build, cut passing lanes, make your defenders stand their ground and clear the ball whenever needed. no shame in that.
Also, no dumb/blind passes, no lighning speed counter attack in every possession. Pass the ball to the sides and back, looking for an opening and trust your skills and your players. What works for me the most is covering the ball with my player body, people get insanely desperate and try to kill me LOL. You can imagine how dangerous Dzeko is on a green arrow if used effectively.

if this was 2000 years ago I’d probably be calling you Jesus. Very well put 👌

kinda disagree on the soul less goals:

I watched a PES youtuber's video and honestly I cannot stand how people play online. I have no idea how you can enjoy that style of gameplay where everything is one touch, racing up the pitch as fast as PA3 will allow.

Secondly, for me personally, it's less about my style of play (because I try to play like I would irl) and more about the AI and the logic that are bound to.

I've said it before; if I played 11v11 I'm sure my experience would be a better one. But I play fixed cursor so it needs relying on the AI. I feel let down by this game's AI a lot of the time.

Playing with it there are times it feels more you can see the strings on the puppets if that makes sense. Hence why I don't have an issue with the word soulless being used.

That said, the game produces magic from time to time and I think the way you play does factor into that.

if this was 2000 years ago I’d probably be calling you Jesus. Very well put 👌

2000 years ago I'd be calling him a witch for speaking in a strange tongue and writing with a strange text tbf

Last edited:
I've decided to give it a go since i missed last two Data Packs and some users were reporting that game is absolutely amazeballs right now. Played 5 games on my old ML save, with 93 Team Spirit.

I can safely say that, to me, absolutely nothing has changed since last time I played it. Overpowered AI that bullies you constantly, but when you sneeze at them - its a foul. Game is extremely unresponsive and you feel like you are battling the controller all the time.

The minute I scored the goal AI was turning on Hulk mode and most of the goals I conceded were turn and shoot, where my defender could not get to AI player due to some fucking magic force field around them.

I honestly dont know why I did this to myself. Now Im just annoyed...

I'll get my coat.

Damn, I was hoping to hear different. I'm not even going to bother loading it up. What a damn shame!

Also, no dumb/blind passes, no lighning speed counter attack in every possession. Pass the ball to the sides and back, looking for an opening and trust your skills and youer players. What works for me the most is covering the ball with my player body, people get insanely desperate and try to kill me LOL. You can imagine how dangerous Dzeko is on a green arrow if used effectively.

I agree but what you describe is only a scenario when you face people who use PA1 (or PA0 but that never happens). Anything above and it's horrible, to say the least. And since you can't lock your matchmaking to PA1 you never know what you´re gonna get.

If anybody's been enjoying the looser more varied ball physics of the previous data pack, then do NOT download the latest data pack.

It has reverted the ball physics to the quite dull straight line physics of previous patches.

You can see this, never mind feel it as now, so many passes, long or short now spin forward ie top spin. Pick the Merlin balls and its painfully obvious. That slight variation in pace within a single pass has also gone.

The game feels quite stale again. The only gain that may have led to this sacrifice is dribbling is a little tighter and the play is a little more compressed.

But...this really does show the problem with this engine. How the ball physics constantly oscillate between free and loose and then stale and straight lines and one-paced...when surely each patch should just improve upon the last...

Oh dear.

I don't feel the patch changed anything gameplay-wise. But one thing for sure, the latency in the online mode sucks big time. Whenever the latency spike, the game won't register your input. I've conceded plenty of goals by this.

I don't feel the patch changed anything gameplay-wise. But one thing for sure, the latency in the online mode sucks big time. Whenever the latency spike, the game won't register your input. I've conceded plenty of goals by this.

I definitely feel the difference in ball physics, not much else though.

I've pretty much been playing watford vs man city for the last week or so, maybe 10-15 times on exhibition and it just feels so dull and stale now.

So many clues for me. Long passes are straighter. As are lifted through balls with Silva. And shots have less bend. I was getting lofted passes with fade, really nice to hit. No more.
The ball feels much less alive and spongier to kick.

I could honestly bin the game.
I wasnt loving it before but the game felt zipper and random. Now it feels old and stale again.

Not sure if much has changed, but (on PC) I did import Klash's tactics from December just to see if they made a big difference, and the first thing Leicester did was pass the ball to a CB who then hoofed a perfect pass to Vardy - you can never challenge the AI in these situations (on Top Player and above), they're invulnerable.

It felt pretty fast and ping-pongy, less error. But I've barely tested it yet (and thankfully, I did a complete backup before I downloaded the update - another PC benefit)...

Not sure if much has changed, but (on PC) I did import Klash's tactics from December just to see if they made a big difference, and the first thing Leicester did was pass the ball to a CB who then hoofed a perfect pass to Vardy - you can never challenge the AI in these situations (on Top Player and above), they're invulnerable.

It felt pretty fast and ping-pongy, less error. But I've barely tested it yet (and thankfully, I did a complete backup before I downloaded the update - another PC benefit)...

Yeah, I'm a little gutted I updated. But I'm also relieved in a way because it wasnt as if I was desperate to play it each night, it was more a 30 minute diversion playing a game i really wanted to like and wished was better. Especially for that adjustable stadium cam.

This may be the bullet to the head that it needed for me.

Sorry, but i genuinely laughed out loud at that. 🤷‍♂️🤣

Haha!! Read like that it is quite funny!

What I meant was that I've been merrily playing that match up along with one or two others and having a merry old time, including this morning as I had some time off. And then, mid session, I downloaded that data pack and...I just immediately felt like someone had syringed that little bit of magic out of the game that I'd been enjoying.

Going to the other matchups (liverpool vs Atletico and ajax vs bayern) confirmed the same feeling...

It might all be in my head of course. But unfortunately, it's the only damn head I've got!!

I'm really enjoying the game again, not sure if it's the patch or a bit of a break but PA1 and advanced shooting I'm enjoying thre first time since early patches.. Seeing scuff shots and rebounds etc

I'm not playing on Legend or Superstar, mind you, but this is the best or rather most realistic the game has played in a long time thanks to increased passing and first touch errors (why can't we just have sliders for offline players?).
There is a reason that certain players play for Cagliari instead of Real Madrid and in PES that reason has not been evident in ages. You could essentially play like Guardiola's Barcelona with lowly teams like Brescia. No more.

I've played a few games with the new DP/patch: Parma - Bologna, Cagliari - Fiorentina and Milan - Lazio. These games were a joy to behold from this point of view. Increased first touch error and passing error made the games so much more realistic. Average players make mistakes and bad players make even more mistakes. A towering 1,90 CB with horrendouns passing stats shouldn't be comfortable with difficult first touch passes and even decent midfielders shouldn't be able to consistently look like prime Andres Iniesta.

Had a few end-to-end games thanks to this as both the AI and I wasted lots of potential attacks but also lost possession in build up phases. Was it frustrating to a degree? Absolutely, Kessié completely messing up a first touch to allow Lazio a good counter chance was infuriating but then again...how often do I shout at the TV because he does just that in real life? Even more frequently.
The AI also made mistakes which made this seem rather fair (again not on Legend/SS where things may be utter BS again) and fun.

The game is certainly still (very) far from being perfect and Konami have adopted a bit of a sledgehammer approach with this update, but for me it's certainly a step into the right direction and increased realism. Even though it will definitely not sit well with the MyTeam / competitive crowd.
Few things annoyed me as much as playing against bad teams that attacked with a galore of first touch tiki taka, Neymar-esque controls and deadly accuracy.

EDIT: The error is also there on SS but to a lesser degree and it seems to be particularly strong on the user side. Better than nothing but seems to be another tool to artificially increase diffucilty on SS

Last edited:
It's almost embarrassing to watch popular FIFA Youtuber jumping ship to PES 2020 and thinking myClub is anything better. The game is great at offline, but online-wise it isn't "eSports" ready.

Once you climb up the rank, getting on higher division, the game gets real ugly quick.

We played 1v1 offline last week and had a blast, good old PES feeling where you wanted more and more games, crisp control, passing game, possession worked, varied goals, great counters - honestly some of the best PES I've ever played and I started with ISS Pro Evolution!

Yesterday we played again after the update data pack 5 and man, this was awful - frustration and fun factor non existent. Idiotic AI defensive errors where players stand 3 meters from their player for no reason, they don't follow simple ruins, terrible control, terrible positioning and first touch even with top players, messy pinball, wayward passing, confusion, ridiculous scorelines and just an unbeareble experience.

I'm on PS4 and don't really play online, how can I go back to Data Pack 4?

Last edited:
I call it the 'Drogba'; when a striker posts up the defender then turns off him and gets a shot off while holding multiple defenders off. With that kind of Herculean strength, Drogba would be proud.

Shielding is quite OP especially when the defender is behind the ball carrier

Thats the only way CPU scores at me. They dont use creativity, they dont move the ball around. They just pass to the striker, he holds two defenders off the ball, turn and shoot or pass inside the box like a hockey play. This pisses me off.

LOL what a joke! even the pes die hard fan spoony pizzas himself cannot stand
worse gameplay for sure
It's a great analysis of all the major issues, but I've rolled back to DP4 and all this stuff is there too (on PC at least). I know it doesn't seem like it but I swear that, over time, you just become more sensitive to the worst bits and it's easy to assume they've been introduced by a patch rather than just always having been there.

The "awareness" thing particularly, where the player jogs backwards AWAY from the loose ball - that's a long-time issue. I can tell you exactly what's going on there. You pass the ball and the game switches your control to someone else - and takes over the passer of the ball. At which point (in this example), a switch is flicked that says "possession lost", and the AI player IMMEDIATELY tries to run back to their pixel-defined, absolute, "must stand in this exact spot when defending" area.

(We even spoke about this in the podcast series, based on videos of the demo, FFS - that's how long-standing this issue is.)

There is no programmed understanding of a "loose ball" - it's not in the code. Let's be honest here guys, the code is fucking archaic. You can pass the ball directly to someone's feet on PA0, and if the recipient doesn't "understand" the ball path, and why you'd be passing the ball to him in this scenario, they will actively AVOID touching the ball because they assume you're trying to do something else.

PES is binary in so many ways. I remember @janguv pointing out in PES 2019 that no pass is ever underhit by the AI (or on PA1), only ever OVERHIT, and that's because the ball isn't really loose - it's to create the illusion that it is ("oh look, you CAN misplace passes on PA1" - except, you can't, only overhit them).

All games operate on illusions, but the guys who make PES are just terrible at creating anything that "feels" organic - players handle like robots, that you're controlling with your remote control which is running low on batteries, so it takes 2-3 seconds for them to "wake up" and initiate your command.

And this is coming from someone who is currently really enjoying an ML on PC, because I think the other game is *even worse*.

Back
Top Bottom