eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

We played 1v1 offline last week and had a blast, good old PES feeling where you wanted more and more games, crisp control, passing game, possession worked, varied goals, great counters - honestly some of the best PES I've ever played and I started with ISS Pro Evolution!

Yesterday we played again after the update data pack 5 and man, this was awful - frustration and fun factor non existent. Idiotic AI defensive errors where players stand 3 meters from their player for no reason, they don't follow simple ruins, terrible control, terrible positioning and first touch even with top players, messy pinball, wayward passing, confusion, ridiculous scorelines and just an unbeareble experience.

I'm on PS4 and don't really play online, how can I go back to Data Pack 4?

No going back I'm.afraid.

Good news is that the next patch will probably take is back to the.previous patch. They seem on a pretty consistent run of alternating between improving and ruining the game with their patches/data packs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed the omission of the fun and variety factor. The.little.bit of magic that had arrived with dp 4...

So happy, I have 2 discs to conquer every patch-screw-up. ;)

Been playing 2017 the whole morning. :D
Just need that 2020 OF for it... :PRAY:
Im on my 9th season,might do a restart after this one since I've won it all(Pes 17)
Coppa Italia 3 times.
Italian super cup 1 time
WC championship 2 times.
UEFA super cup 2 times
Serie A 4 times
EL 1 time
CL 3 times.

Took me 3-4 seasons to build Milan in to a powerhouse,even though I win 90% of my games (which I should) games are still tough.

The fun part when I start over is that there's still a few of my favourite players left when playing 2016/17 roster.
So I'm looking fw to a restart,think it'll be my 4th,got to have almost 20 seasons on this game

Im on my 9th season,might do a restart after this one since I've won it all(Pes 17)
Coppa Italia 3 times.
Italian super cup 1 time
WC championship 2 times.
UEFA super cup 2 times
Serie A 4 times
EL 1 time
CL 3 times.

Took me 3-4 seasons to build Milan in to a powerhouse,even though I win 90% of my games (which I should) games are still tough.

The fun part when I start over is that there's still a few of my favourite players left when playing 2016/17 roster.
So I'm looking fw to a restart,think it'll be my 4th,got to have almost 20 seasons on this game
:APPLAUD:
Im playing Arsenal in exhibition right now.
It’s half time...
E3D3CB8C-5500-45AC-A254-EB0934401F5F.jpeg
Is that your Milan?! They are very good at the passing game and deadly in front of goal. :)

Let’s move our discussion to the appropriate thread then! ;)

It's a great analysis of all the major issues, but I've rolled back to DP4 and all this stuff is there too (on PC at least). I know it doesn't seem like it but I swear that, over time, you just become more sensitive to the worst bits and it's easy to assume they've been introduced by a patch rather than just always having been there.

The "awareness" thing particularly, where the player jogs backwards AWAY from the loose ball - that's a long-time issue. I can tell you exactly what's going on there. You pass the ball and the game switches your control to someone else - and takes over the passer of the ball. At which point (in this example), a switch is flicked that says "possession lost", and the AI player IMMEDIATELY tries to run back to their pixel-defined, absolute, "must stand in this exact spot when defending" area.

(We even spoke about this in the podcast series, based on videos of the demo, FFS - that's how serious this issue is.)

There is no programmed understanding of a "loose ball" - it's not in the code. Let's be honest here guys, the code is fucking archaic. You can pass the ball directly to someone's feet on PA0, and if the recipient doesn't "understand" the ball path, and why you'd be passing the ball to him in this scenario, they will actively AVOID touching the ball because they assume you're trying to do something else.

PES is binary, there is no in-between. I remember @janguv pointing out in PES 2019 that no pass is ever underhit by the AI (or on PA1), only ever OVERHIT, and that's because the ball isn't really loose - it's an illusion. All games operate on illusions but the guys who make PES are just terrible at creating anything that "feels" organic - players handle like robots, that you're controlling with your remote control which is running low on batteries, so it takes 2-3 seconds for them to "wake up" and initiate your command.

And this is coming from someone who is currently really enjoying an ML on PC, because I think the other game is *even worse*.

It feels like you're playing a grand illusion, absolutely.
What an absolute travesty this is, offline has become unplayable almost, defenders literally stop so as not to intercept through balls all the friggin time, horrible horrible gameplay changes - WHY KONAMI WHY?

It feels like wilful vandalism. Of their own game.

Clearly a step back, feel too heavy and unresponsive...

Agreed. Feels woolly and lacking vitality. Lost that snap in its gameplay. How the hell do you even do that without realising, or thinking "ooh, this is much better? Their changes suit nobody at all, not even the online kids as it's just much less fun.

Thats the only way CPU scores at me. They dont use creativity, they dont move the ball around. They just pass to the striker, he holds two defenders off the ball, turn and shoot or pass inside the box like a hockey play. This pisses me off.

That's one of the most common ways I see my AI teammates concede. And there's never anyone between the passer and the striker it feels like.

Every time I see it, I'm calling for the second defender the second that pass is made. It somewhat helps to keep the striker from a completely easy shot but it's ridiculous that the AI can generate as many quality shots this way as they do.

The "awareness" thing particularly, where the player jogs backwards AWAY from the loose ball - that's a long-time issue. I can tell you exactly what's going on there. You pass the ball and the game switches your control to someone else - and takes over the passer of the ball. At which point (in this example), a switch is flicked that says "possession lost", and the AI player IMMEDIATELY tries to run back to their pixel-defined, absolute, "must stand in this exact spot when defending" area.

Yup. Been telling people (elsewhere) this for weeks now. And to add to that, it feels like the AI is coded for attack and defense. It feels like there's no logic for what the AI should do in transition. So when there's a change in possession, even if possession hasn't been secured completely (50-50, ball bouncing around situation), the AI will immediately go to their base attacking or base defensive positions before doing anything else.

I've conceded and scored goals because CBs have spread to their attacking positions only for the team to lose possession in their defensive third which leads to an easy chance for the opposition because the defenders are horribly out of position.

I have a clip of Dan James in the box, running away from a ball that was rolling towards him after a defender intercepted it. The game 'thinks' it's a change of possession so he simply goes back to his defensive position when he should've had a tap in.

It just feels like both the defensive transition phase and offensive transition phase have been neglected a great deal. And you see it with how the AI plays and that's why it looks and feels so robotic.

Just watched liverpool Bournemouth. Imagine a game that could reproduce that type of match. With that match speed and the ball moving in that way. With an actual midfield to have to try and play through and actual transitions in play and players not running everywhere like crazy but yet still moving intelligently when in possession. With a rhythm and tempo. With players in close proximity to each other instead of 20 yards between them.

It wouldnt have to look or move as well a real match but an approximation should've been achieved a long time ago.

Instead, we single players have spent the last decade and more being gaslit and ghosted by two cretinous companies who clearly have talented developers with personal vision (their talent rears its head in different ways in each game) but instead of supporting them, choose to undermine them annually by either starving them of resources or autonomy.

@Chris Davies i decided to upload and share the clips

I've conceded and scored goals because CBs have spread to their attacking positions only for the team to lose possession in their defensive third which leads to an easy chance for the opposition because the defenders are horribly out of position.

To my surprise, I have a clip from the last time I played that exemplifies this:

As soon as the Brentford midfielder intercepts the ball, the game sees the change of possession, the CBs begin to spread and get into their attacking positions (positions to receive passes). But the problem is that I, just having lost the ball, am immediately attempting to win it back; Brentford's attack cannot begin until that player, or another player has totally secured possession of the ball. He doesn't because I win the ball back (even when I win the ball back, the CBs are still spreading)

It's the parting of the red sea and I am completely unopposed on my way to the goal. Not so minor sidenote, I shoot the ball almost right down the middle here. The keeper has to do better.

Brentford's defenders behave like their attack has begun proper, instead of weighing the risks attached the transitional phase in their defensive third, and completely abandon their defensive positions. I see way too many chances created for both me and my opponents because of this type of behavior.

I have a clip of Dan James in the box, running away from a ball that was rolling towards him after a defender intercepted it. The game 'thinks' it's a change of possession so he simply goes back to his defensive position when he should've had a tap in.

Cross comes in and the defender miscontrols it with his chest. If James does not move, the ball will come right into his path and he has a tap in. Instead, the game see the change of possession and James, does as he's programmed to and, heads back to defensive position. Nice doesn't have complete possession of the ball yet so the defensive phase for United hasn't begun. James' first priority should be the ball, and not his defensive positioning, given its proximity.

But it's not just that that's going on in this clip. Just like in the first clip, opposition defenders are moving into positions to receive passes, while the ball is moving across the goal in the middle of their box. As the ball is moving towards James, the closest defender is actually running towards to goal and ends up standing right next to the keeper on the goal line. Let's ignore the fact that he's ignoring what is a massive and immediate threat (the ball moving across the box to a opposition attacker standing in front of goal), when would a defender ever look to receive a pass in that position? Why invite unnecessary pressure on your goal by making yourself available for a pass on your own goal line in front of your own goal? As opposed to next the goal?

This game needs genuine logic for the transitional phases. Counter attack play style doesn't count. Everyone running forward and away from the player with the ball, leaving him no passing options, isn't counter attacking football. Unless you're playing route one hoof ball.

Gegenpressing doesn't count either. Well it sort of does. It's only one type of defensive behavior that targets the transitional phase.

Transitional defense exists outside of gegenpressing and transitional offense exists outside of standard counter attacking. This game needs actual dedicated logic to better reflect that. My fear is that Konami doesn't actually want its AI to intuitive.

I’ve played a few games with DP 5.0. I don’t notice much difference?

I guess the ball does feel heavier, the AI does some bonehead decisions but that’s par for the course.

I do notice a heavier first touch but hasn’t that always been there?

Whenever I dedicate a thought to PES 2020, all that springs to mind is that Konami set out to make their game resemble Rush Football 2 to the best of their ability without considering the gameplay ramifications or impact on the fun factor. If one were to watch select snippets of this game in action, you'd honestly believe that the future is now. In a vacuum, this game is unparalleled. In reality, it's a surface level facade.

A few pages ago, someone stated that the inherent chunkiness and fundamental flaws are more of a threat than the opposition itself, and I wholeheartedly agree. Once in a blue moon, the game allows you to feel like the ultimate footballing wizard; Deftly waving around your wand as you conjure up magical passages of play despite the game's best efforts to conspire against the user (whether intentionally or not). Once that fleeting moment has passed and the dust has settled, you're left with the stark realization that the game is actually a bit shit. Tantamount to awakening from a pleasant dream or those women who wear oversized sunglasses fooling you into think they're attractive, but upon closer inspection, they're fuck ugly.

Like an amnesia patient, I'll revisit modern PES after a several month hiatus and think, "Jesus, this is amazing. Why am I not playing this on a regular ba- oh, that's why." Every single time. Truly a fool.

The number of interception in the final third is driving me crazy, but i have to admit it's realistic. How often we see a move break down once player get into the opposition third IRL?

Also, I don't know if the gameplay has change much or not, but i did not like the previous version where i conceded 3 deflected long shots in corner kick situation. So far that does not happen in this recent version.

Like an amnesia patient, I'll revisit modern PES after a several month hiatus and think, "Jesus, this is amazing. Why am I not playing this on a regular ba- oh, that's why."
:LOL:
That was my first match after a long break!
First half - some passes, first touches, advanced through balls, missed chances - brilliant! Really tight game. Some player awareness issues here and there, few moronic decisions from the ref, but nothing game breaking.

On the ball it felt amazing (even tho the first thing I noticed was how limited I felt not having so many options to control the ball and defend from the other game. I kept pressing button combinations that I used there)

Second half, when I started to properly feel the game again and went into more of an auto mode - boom - goal. Really nice and rewarding (not the goal itself, but the whole play). That was 63rd minute..

After that all goes mental. My players must have had few shots during goal celebration - no one can pass anymore, no one can get the ball, AI is throwing my players around like bunch of rapid rhinos, 360 matrix style passes..
81st min - turn+shoot - 1:1
88th min - turn+shoot - 1:2..

Ah yeah.. now I remember!

And for those who'll say try to lower difficulty - thats on professional, full manual, against Derby County.

I get it but I mean it isn't like they spent 25 years developing PES 2020 lol. Game development isn't that linear

Hurray to life!! What a lovely Sunday this will be. I’m sure of that.
Ladies and gents, all the best to you. Enjoy and embrace life; with or without playing a video game!
I’ll have breakfast now... cause that’s how everything good starts, right?! ;)
Manchester Derby later will be nice, i guess. In between I’m sure I’ll play some “olde ProEvo” to get in the mood. Let’s see if editing both teams to represent today’s clubs isn’t to much of a hassle.

Take care, all of you and have a good day! :SAL:

Last edited:
Hurrei for Konami!! That last patch is disaster!!! Good job.. :D :D

Have you played it? Are feeling a backward step too? Or is that more a comment on the general reception?

Would be great to hear from anyone who's actually enjoying it more post patch...maybe it's a grower?

Have you played it? Are feeling a backward step too? Or is that more a comment on the general reception?

Would be great to hear from anyone who's actually enjoying it more post patch...maybe it's a grower?

I spent about 5 hours playing with patch yesterday and I do enjoy it. I think it’s a grower, I wouldn’t say it’s “better” then 4.0, but I think once we get the handle of it, it’s quite nice. Here’s my takeaways:

PS- I play SS, FUMA, 93 team spirit Roma

+ shooting has better variety and less accuracy.— I had to strikes from outside the box that were beautiful. With 4.0, I never scored one outside the box. There are also more unpredictable shots. Post being hit, dribbling past post etc.
+ passing has been reduced for AI- I’m noticing around 80-85% passing for CPU. I say this is a good thing cause before they seemed to string passes together and there was never an error.
+ first touch forces you to not button mash— this is also a negative (see below) but what I mean is it requires you to slow down, gather before shooting, passing, etc.
+ the CPU is patient with build up— though not completely new, they work the ball well before an opening.

-first touch- sometimes the first touches are just awful for both player and CPU. Balls that shouldn’t be poorly received bouncing up to chest
- AI seems to have less awareness- idk if this is true or not, maybe with the first touch, the AI doesn’t register to be on the attack but it seems the responsive has deceased again.
-the ball does feel heavier

All and all, I don’t think this patch is all so bad. I’m actually coming to appreciate it but it does have a slight different feel to it.

I'm really enjoying single player league again. Superstar pa 1 adv shooting.. Just had a couple of nil nils in Europe and league.. AI playing some nice balanced footy.... Not a comparison thread but it's so much more engainging than FIFA after switching back.

this inability to control stuff i've paid for is beyond a joke.

just switched on my PS4 and PES 2020 update has been installed without even asking me or letting me know its downloading so I can cancel - and this is even when I have application data check box switched off.

FFS.

EDIT : HOLY CRAP.......JUST LOADED UP AN EXHIBITION MATCH AND MY PS4 SOUNDS LIKE ITS ABOUT TO BLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get no more posts from me, its cos I got blown up by a PS4 Pro playing PES 2020 DP 5. Get justice for me, guys. Carry my legacy forwards.

Edit 2 : completed my usual Spurs Barcelona exh match. Tbh didn't notice much difference, better or worse, from DP4. I may need to play some more/with different teams to notice these things - a good time to klash up my PS4 game before DP6 kills the game off.

Last edited:
I know there is some good footy on right now, but if anyone gets bored, feel free to jump in and interact. It's a bit of a mini rant, but I had to put in "on paper" of how I feel about this game...

Thanks so much, your video was very helpful for me, I was about to buy the game again but I've decided to wait for the next data pack, maybe things gets better again.

Back
Top Bottom