eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I've given up on it for now and am back playing PES2018 on fixed cursor. imo, it's the best PES experience there's ever been. I literally enjoy every single match that I play - such a difference to the frustration and anger when playing PES2020.
A great move,17 and 18 ære a breath of fresh air vs 19/20

Forgot how to play this game. Nothing clicks, my dummies dont make smart runs, most of my passes goes misplaced or floated and slow, no matter wich player Im using. When my players start a dash through the defense, sudently they stop or get stuck on a defender. I cant desposess the CPU, they shield the ball with such an ease. When I knock the ball off the attacker, my players freezes or became like headless chickens then the CPU recovers the ball. Man this game is resembling the first version of PES 2014. Its difficult but its like the game core, or something like that, plays against you. You cant do what you want to do with the controller in your hands. Its like the game blocks your commands or determines if suddenlly a players is good or not. Sorry, I cant describe exactly what mean.

Well anyway, I wish everyone of you are ok in this pandemic shiat.

I wish all the best to you and your families.

In this match I waas already steaming and smashing the buttons lol

Played Juve 5 times x 14 minute halves on Super Star and couldn't beat or even score against them until I finally scored in 84th minute equaliser in my 5th game.

That's over 2 and half hours of football without scoring a goal. And there were plenty of misses. One v ones's, shots from 5 yards out from pull backs, missed headers etc. I've got Cavani upfront with 89 finishing and 89 heading (souped up stats from FM where he has 17 for each)

And the Juve goals either came from nowhere or were the worst deflected nonsense.

It was just horrible.

Any tips for how to stem the madness?

Anybody yet playing goalie for an extended period of time?

I made a save with this in mind and frankly the goalie controls aren't very good imo. Sometimes i dive over the ball, sometimes i run out to an attacker and my goalie doesn't attempt to even interact with the ball or dive.

I feel like I'm better off just keeping him in good position and letting him dive automatically instead but that kinda defeats the purpose if I'm not the one actually making the saves

Anybody yet playing goalie for an extended period of time?

I made a save with this in mind and frankly the goalie controls aren't very good imo. Sometimes i dive over the ball, sometimes i run out to an attacker and my goalie doesn't attempt to even interact with the ball or dive.

I feel like I'm better off just keeping him in good position and letting him dive automatically instead but that kinda defeats the purpose if I'm not the one actually making the saves
wasted potential again, imo!
Wish I could be a better goalie in game but instead I’m able to do more goalie like stuff in real life. And im just an Amateur from a sunday League.

Let’s see if the new engine brings hope.

i always thought i was half decent at advanced shooting but i found a lot of my shots going central with little power, i spent 10 mins on the training ground and finally figured out how to properly direct with power - its an absolute game changer for me. Its all about powering up with finger off the direction button then add the direction after - scored some belters

I am done with this game, just deleted it from my PS4 to do not be tempted again in a future for getting into this shit.
Reason why is amount of bullcrap happening in my last game I played. Crystal Palace vs. Leicester. I am CP.
4 posts in 1st half (from which 2 were in one action, completed with clear cut chance wasted into the stands) was for me just too much to handle. While CPU needed just one action, and actually, got penalty, which I don't even remember when happened last time, and obviously scored. I was still fighting with myself at that moment. Started 2nd half with another post. After that I just deleted all the data from HDD. F* that shit, seriously :).
PES 17 here I come baby.

AI needs a lot of attention. If they have any desire to improve offline, that should be their top priority

Weirdly, if they focused on improving BAL/fixed cursor, the overall game, both offline(regular cursor switching) and online would be so much better.

Weirdly, if they focused on improving BAL/fixed cursor, the overall game, both offline(regular cursor switching) and online would be so much better.

Imo the most impactful changes they can make to improve BAL/fixed cursor are fixing player switching and adding logic for the transitional phases. Both of those improvements would definitely improve the online experience as well so i definitely agree.

I would suggest not doing the following:

Maybe play a different match? why would you torture yourself over that?

Well I didn't follow your advice and played Juve a further 5 x 20 minute games (I realise that my 14 minute halves were actually 14 minute games.....).

Anyway lost ALL 5 and only scored in the first game (2 goals which I had very little to do with) and then conceded a last minute goal to lose 3:2 when my DM passed in the wrong direction.

Why do I keep restarting?

Because I cannot go on until I have beaten Juve. I have never played a football game before where I simply could not beat a team even on the top level.

The games last night were a little different. I completely dominated Juve in terms of possession and created plenty of chances. I just wasn't "allowed" to score any including missing one v ones, 5 yard headers and hitting posts. Szczesny is apparently the greatest keeper ever.

The goals I did manage to score came from the most unlikely of headers from Chiesa (who I signed) who I would never have wanted to cross to and a rubbish intercept/shot from Wanyama (another signing) from a messy corner clearance. Both were deeply unsatisfactory.

(I might do something about reducing Chiesa's heading ability as he's scored a number of headers for me.)

Anyway I'm finding the "challenge" weirdly amusing. Some of the stuff is outrageous and I just have to laugh. The matches aren't "competitive" so I don't mind the cheating too much. But if these were title deciders I think I'd flip.

The biggest issue is the games show that the developers have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the CPU should be set up as a challenge. The most blatant example are the ridiculous fouls. The developers seem to have almost taken pleasure in getting away with outrageous fouls. But the whole approach is just misguided. If they want to make the CPU play dirty then the logical thing would be for the CPU to use fouls to break up play forcing the human to really master set pieces.

Instead all that happens is the CPU gets away with murder (literally) and then gives the ball away anyway so the whole frustration is just unnecessary. The fouls achieve nothing.

Anyway eventually I'll drop down to Top Player because Super Star is almost childish in its ridiculous levels of cheating. The problem with Top Player is the CPU never scores against me.

I play this made up mode where I use Football Manager to generate seasons and play the matches in Exhibition Mode....

So the short answer to your question is Exhibition Mode.
Wow it was an arrow there. I though it was a general question for everyone. Still you are accurate after all.

I play this made up mode where I use Football Manager to generate seasons and play the matches in Exhibition Mode....

So the short answer to your question is Exhibition Mode.

sounded like u were talking about ML. I wouldn't trust that mode with a barge pole.

I think Exh mode allows for best variety in score lines so i'd keep at it.

i pretty much only play spurs vs Barca these days and see what game adjustments could help to get a true Messi to shine on the pitch. once I find it I'll then experiment with other teams.

in your case, i'd be looking to see what CR7 does with various adjustments. its good what you are doing though - keeping a constant will allow you to assess other variables.

Imo the most impactful changes they can make to improve BAL/fixed cursor are fixing player switching and adding logic for the transitional phases. Both of those improvements would definitely improve the online experience as well so i definitely agree.

Yep, footballing awareness improvements would make such a difference.

Here's a little idea that isn't really worthy of its own post but in fixed/BAL how about using the right stick to indicate where you would like the ball to be passed from a teammate. Obviously you wouldn't want it to be 100% obeyed by the AI. Would be nice to see your player point subtly behind himself to indicate you were going to check back, or point down the wing to indicate a ball played into space ahead of you.

Did I see you mention playing as a GK? I also thought the right stick would be good to control your diving so you could be moving one way but quickly react with the right stick. I think it would be more intuitive.

There's no way in a million years konami would ever change controls for these niche elements but these ideas just occurred to me anyway!

I think I just threw super star level out the window.

Dropped the controller after losing 2-0. Baca went and scored a third. Then my guys are in possession, stood still and Barca are just watching the ball doing nothing.

What a joke.

The more I play the more I think the game was made to work out your pleb level.

In order of pleb skills :
MyClub Whale Coin buyer Pleb ranks higher than
MyClub PLayer Pleb which ranks higher than
offline Superstar Pleb which ranks higher than
PES Preorderer PLeb.

Same behaviour no seen on Legend so it seems Legend is the level to work with. Meh.

Edit : let in 3 goals with controller down on Legend then proceeded to play. got beat 0-10.

Suarez scored 5 goals and got 7.5 rating. Griezmann 3 goal and got 7.0.

Last edited:

Playing on TP, PA 01 and Manual Shooting. Much better, your players make more runs, dont get stuck on defenders, move much better and fast players are faster indeed. Well its easier but sometimes I miss easy opportunities on manual shot so its well balanced to me.

Lovin the shooting physics in this latest patch. Much more natural. It dont takes a cannon ball shot all the time to score. Loving those floated shots. Its more organic or something.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yep, footballing awareness improvements would make such a difference.

Here's a little idea that isn't really worthy of its own post but in fixed/BAL how about using the right stick to indicate where you would like the ball to be passed from a teammate. Obviously you wouldn't want it to be 100% obeyed by the AI. Would be nice to see your player point subtly behind himself to indicate you were going to check back, or point down the wing to indicate a ball played into space ahead of you.

Did I see you mention playing as a GK? I also thought the right stick would be good to control your diving so you could be moving one way but quickly react with the right stick. I think it would be more intuitive.

There's no way in a million years konami would ever change controls for these niche elements but these ideas just occurred to me anyway!

All i want is how FIFA has/had it set up. Want a regular pass from a teammate? Press the regular pass button. Want a through pass from a teammate? Press the through pass button. Want a cross? Press the cross button. And for the love of all that is good, why aren't we allowed to tell our teammates to shoot?

That's how goalkeeping works in FIFA and NHL; you hit the right stick in the direction you wanna make a save and it influences your reaction time to the ball or puck respectively. The amount of times i watched my goalie dive over there ball or not even put his hands up when practicing in PES was honestly remarkable.

If the diving doesn't work properly as a keeper you literally cannot do your job. Makes me wonder why it was even implemented then.

On top of that, you have those horrendous looking arm animations sometimes.
It looks like the goalie isn’t stretching his arms to the max. Occasionally you even have that “arm-animation-snap”, wich really looks odd and gives away cheap goals. Like it’s a method of allowing goals.

As I go to the replay mode every few minutes, this stuff really is visible. Sadly.

Don’t get me started on those fingertips going through the ball, wich would be an awesome looking deflection (I don’t mind if it goes in then), but noooo... the ball goes through it and in. Can’t remember that happening when the ball is off target...! ^^

Last edited:
All i want is how FIFA has/had it set up. Want a regular pass from a teammate? Press the regular pass button. Want a through pass from a teammate? Press the through pass button. Want a cross? Press the cross button. And for the love of all that is good, why aren't we allowed to tell our teammates to shoot?

That is a rare example of something that I disagree with you on! I prefer just a blanket 'call for it' and for the AI to make their own decision. That's not to say I don't question my stance 10 times every game!

Regarding the tactic fix that was posted i would advise not to use it on your own teams - couple of issues playing on legendary/superstar

Having a defensive line of 3 makes the AI constantly look for the striker in the area - ball to feet turn and shoot because your defenders are so far back
Using double wing rotation (maybe single too)causes players to run across each other more and i see my own players tackle me or get in the way of a run at least once per game

For the AI though its great - iv now gone to manual pass and advanced shooting but dropped down to superstar - legend is really hard and as soon as you go one nil down best i get is a draw - 2 nil down then forget it :)

Also i have ditched the attacking fullback stratergy - that leaves you wide open

Im wondering how the game will play with all adv strategies set to none for defence and attack for all teams

I´ve been looking for the opponent tactics before each match, and I´m now having a bit more fun, as I can counter the CPU tactics with some adjustments on my team, to counter long ball, high pressing or short passing etc... It´s not a miracle solution for every match, some teams are stil hard to beat of course, but it´s so cool when you feel the CPU tactic is not working and you end up winning matches 4-0 on superstar ahah.

Having fun again now as I realize tactics do make a diference.

Regarding the tactic fix that was posted i would advise not to use it on your own teams - couple of issues playing on legendary/superstar

Having a defensive line of 3 makes the AI constantly look for the striker in the area - ball to feet turn and shoot because your defenders are so far back
Using double wing rotation (maybe single too)causes players to run across each other more and i see my own players tackle me or get in the way of a run at least once per game

For the AI though its great - iv now gone to manual pass and advanced shooting but dropped down to superstar - legend is really hard and as soon as you go one nil down best i get is a draw - 2 nil down then forget it :)

Also i have ditched the attacking fullback stratergy - that leaves you wide open

Im wondering how the game will play with all adv strategies set to none for defence and attack for all teams
Great feedback, I presume your talking about the one I posted.

So I'm okay with trying a higher defensive line for the USER side but I will say the CPU is always going to priorities on getting the ball to the CF at the top of the box. And no matter the setting it's going to continue to happen.The lower line rational was to try and get the midfielders to try be more responsible to cover that space with the gengenpress enabled but I can see on higher difficulties a needing to change it.

As far as USER wing rotation and not using it. I could be in favor of not using it because of the players running into each other like you mentioned. Ideally I would not have any advanced instructions since they are more restrictive in the way your players move around. So having for User just have gengenpress and CPU wing rotation/gengenpress x2 could still work.

I've tested no adv. Instructions for both sides and it just leads to no defending and space for days.

I´ve been looking for the opponent tactics before each match, and I´m now having a bit more fun, as I can counter the CPU tactics with some adjustments on my team, to counter long ball, high pressing or short passing etc... It´s not a miracle solution for every match, some teams are stil hard to beat of course, but it´s so cool when you feel the CPU tactic is not working and you end up winning matches 4-0 on superstar ahah.

Having fun again now as I realize tactics do make a diference.

any tips, then?

Back
Top Bottom