eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I've never understood all the hype for a new engine. If the focus is always the same, imo there is no magical bullet to be found in another one, for how better suited it could be than FOX.

I also think the supposed limitations, the lack of knowledge or whatever other reason that would tie the single player disaster to the current engine are a fairytale. The game is what it is for a precise design, not because they are trying to do stuff correctly and having problems with it or whatever.

I've never understood all the hype for a new engine. If the focus is always the same, imo there is no magical bullet to be found in another one, for how better suited it could be than FOX.

I also think the supposed limitations, the lack of knowledge or whatever other reason that would tie the single player disaster to the current engine are a fairytale. The game is what it is for a precise design, not because they are trying to do stuff correctly and having problems with it or whatever.

the best thing both konami and ea did was show the players what their (money-making) ideas of a great football game is.

you don't need a new engine. you need a new developer with fresh ideas.

Out of interest, I've been playing 2017, 2018, and 2019 over the past week. I've come to the late realization that the RS dribbling in 2020 is one of Konami's biggest blunders in recent times.

I hate it so much. I don't use it whatsoever. Could've just been incorporated into regular movement with the left stick.

the best thing both konami and ea did was show the players what their (money-making) ideas of a great football game is.

you don't need a new engine. you need a new developer with fresh ideas.

Gameplay hasn't been the priority at EA under Andrew Wilson and, with the rise of myclub, it clearly isn't the priority at Konami.

I don't care who is making the game. How the game plays should always come first.

Unfortunately we live in the world Steve Jobs described; one where the sales and marketing people have more of a say than the actual development people.

Until that changes, nothing changes. And if it does, well we'll have better football games all around. Doesn't matter if it's from EA or Konami or some new challenger.

I hate it so much. I don't use it whatsoever. Could've just been incorporated into regular movement with the left stick.

They should just have modifier buttons like Fifa to give you extra control / movement options. It just doesn't work well at all on the right stick.

They should just have modifier buttons like Fifa to give you extra control / movement options. It just doesn't work well at all on the right stick.

I agree. It felt more like change for the sake of change as opposed to actual innovation. Because the previous equivalent of worked just fine imo.

I was playing 1.0 and then updated but then went offline , didn't do any squad uodates. Plays really good England v Scotland on SS I got 8 fouls Inc a red card
Next 2 games really enjoyable too. It's probably a placebo , not sure how much live updates affect the way the AI plays if at all

I agree. It felt more like change for the sake of change as opposed to actual innovation. Because the previous equivalent of worked just fine imo.

Yep, and as I alluded to in my ealier post, the change to right stick caused the removal of the short knock on, made the 'dummy and chase' less intuitive (by changing it from R1 to R2) and also made simple quick shoulder feints more awkward by requiring the R2 button to be held. Don't know how it got through testing.

I am generally suspicious about control commands being on hard rails, (on every pes to be fair not just 20) than I read this.

Hmmm is that true about advanced shooting? Don't think I've tried it on 2020 but usually diagonal forward would aim towards the top corner and diagonal backwards would aim towards the bottom corner.

My (main) issue with rails is the passing on pa1. I often find myself passing to the wrong teammates. Maybe I'm just becomming imprecise on the sticks but it didn't seem as bad when the game first launched. Anybody else find it got worse over time?

I also really dislike how the game oftent doesn't take into account how much power I put into through balls. It's like the game just detect which player I aim for with the stick and then it produce the through ball it thinks is right. So for example i could apply the slightest amount of power on a through ball for my winger to put it a bit in front of him but the game decides it should go very deep like a ball behind the opponent defender.

They did however tweak lofted through balls to be much harder to pull off, right? They did this a patch or two ago I think. Which is a good thing by the way...

Last edited:
Advanced shooting has always felt horrible to me, again I'd rather it was more like semi shooting in Fifa which to me is spot on.
Advanced shooting is great in my opinion. Get full directional control but also takes into account body position and stats, best thing about ad shooting are the downward headers

Advanced shooting is great in my opinion. Get full directional control but also takes into account body position and stats, best thing about ad shooting are the downward headers

It makes me so sad (well, not that sad in the big scheme of things!) that they removed the triangle button for the downward shot (or header) modifier, I just can't understand it.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, It really does seem to be something they've changed for the sake of change or for the purpose of a new back of the box feature. Trouble is, Nobody asked for it. In these apst few years no one ever called for a reform of the dribbling system.

I went back to PES 2014 the other day and the dribbling is dreamy, The :r2: + RS knock away of the ball before a shot or a cross as well as the L3 + R3 trick stick worked perfectly and intuitively. It breaks my heart they removed all of this completely, Forcing us to embrace this new control scheme. At least EA leave their old controls in and give the player this novel concept called "choice."

DLC 7.0 (EURO 2020) available the june 4th.
So it's back again! Can't complain. Apparently there is only 2 new stadiums so for console users they're still never gonna get the full authenticity just like in 2016.

Hopefully they can confirm what ones they are as soon as possible so the PC community can update the missing stadiums with the Euro aesthetics.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, It really does seem to be something they've changed for the sake of change or for the purpose of a new back of the box feature. Trouble is, Nobody asked for it. In these apst few years no one ever called for a reform of the dribbling system.

Change is cool. Most people won't know they want it in a particular form until you present it to them. But this change didn't signify an actual improvement in user experience. At least not to me.

I went back to PES 2014 the other day and the dribbling is dreamy, The :r2: + RS knock away of the ball before a shot or a cross as well as the L3 + R3 trick stick worked perfectly and intuitively. It breaks my heart they removed all of this completely, Forcing us to embrace this new control scheme. At least EA leave their old controls in and give the player this novel concept called "choice."

It's funny because 2K changes their control scheme pretty much every year and I know a lot of people who aren't happy with that lol

I must say, with the usual hindrances aside, like no pens, free kicks, bookings, sendings off etc., the gameplay I find at the current version to be the best for the way I like to play. I have actually played out a whole season of the SPFL, which is more than the real one did. 😛

Anyway, this is the first time I have wanted to continue to play each game, heck, I even had that feeling of ‘just one more match’ then I get to bed, been up past 4am every night for the last two weeks.

I worry that of course on 4th June when they release Euro 2020 deal, they will also somehow nerf it all up on the park again as well with another ‘tweak’ patch. :MAD:

Well done EA and KONAMI.
One great thing was to have official WC or EC games but of course they managed to destroy that as well with making dlc.
What is point have them without all official stadiums?! Idiots.

Well done EA and KONAMI.
One great thing was to have official WC or EC games but of course they managed to destroy that as well with making dlc.
What is point have them without all official stadiums?! Idiots.

The point is that they make you feel like they're giving you something else, something extra, completely for free to show you how cool they are, when in reality they're actually preventing you from having something very good, much more complete.
Less work for them. Less content for us.

The point is that they make you feel like they're giving you something else, something extra, completely for free to show you how cool they are, when in reality they're actually preventing you from having something very good, much more complete.
Less work for them. Less content for us.

pes 2021 exclusive DLC list :

Preorder DLC - crowd noise
DLC1 - east stand fans
DLC2 - west stand fans
DLC3 - north stand fans
DLC4 - south stand fans
DLC5 - fan face pack 1
DLC6 - fan face pack 2
DLC7 - fan clothes pack
DLC8 - fan accessories pack

I must say, with the usual hindrances aside, like no pens, free kicks, bookings, sendings off etc., the gameplay I find at the current version to be the best for the way I like to play. I have actually played out a whole season of the SPFL, which is more than the real one did. 😛

Anyway, this is the first time I have wanted to continue to play each game, heck, I even had that feeling of ‘just one more match’ then I get to bed, been up past 4am every night for the last two weeks.

I worry that of course on 4th June when they release Euro 2020 deal, they will also somehow nerf it all up on the park again as well with another ‘tweak’ patch. :MAD:

I've had a similar experience.

In fact I've been enjoying the game too much recently because it seems like everything I try comes off to the point that I was finding the game too easy on Top Player.

I've just finished my third season with Milan and won the title with 103 points (beating Juve's real life record of 102 points).I had 1 defeat, 4 draws and 33 wins including a 6:1 v Atalanta.

I lost the final of the Champions League to Real Madrid but only because I moved up to Super Star and then randomly started missing a load of chances for no reason!

I'm going to move up to Super Star next season to see how I go with it over the course of a season. The problem with Super Star is that it seems to increase the difficulty by making my players more incompetent.

Dropped back down to pro and went back to -2 and well.....am I allowed to say I had probably my most enjoyable match? Because I think I did.

Beat Chelsea but purely because Tammy Abraham couldn't barn with a beach ball. I haven't had a cup match experience that wasn't completely awful in 2020 until this one.

Playing fixed cursor on pro feels like it kinda kinda just leveled the playing field in regards to what the opposition AI should be capable of compared to my teammate AI (which is a nice way of saying dumbing them down to the level of my dumb teammates lol).

I can deal with this in smallish doses. Which is honestly all I can get given I've got 2 jobs now lol

Back
Top Bottom