eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

No, it is not.

Peak PES.

Konami: I'd like you to test the Master League.

Playtester: Sure.

Playtester: [10 minutes later] Hey mate, any chance you could have it so that you can adjust your budget balance?

Konami: Sure.

Konami: [what I imagine wouldn't be long later] We've made the change; how's that now?

Playtester: Champion.

Konami: But when it comes out you're going to play the MyClub money pit and give us all your cash, right? RIGHT?

What might and could've been.

playing ML as Citadella on TP, PA1
2nd division was competitive, but ended up being promoted in our first season. First season in serie A was tough, but somehow managed to get in 3rd place.. Juve dropped only like 7 points in the whole season.
After just a couple of seasons i have made MANY transfers and i think i only have 3 or 4 players from the original squad.

This second season in Serie A (playing UCL as well) im switching to SS.
May god help us

Last edited:
I have decided not to use regens, altough i have loaned them out for profit.. 77 rated 16 y/o Barzagli FFS
I was in desperate need for a tall CF and Wagner (regen) seemed like a good option. Signed him before the start of the transfer period and in the first week of the transfer period he was sold for big money and he didn't play a single minute.

I have used free agents mostly or the scout system that will keep bringging you bargains..
i made a silly excel sheet so i can compare players before making a decision:

NameChabotCabacoTürkmenFigal
Overall78777678
Condition6465
Skills1135
Age22252226
Height1.951.861.831.81
PositionCBCBCBCB
Additional PositionsRB DMF CMFRB DMFRB DMFRB LB
PLaying StylesBuild UpThe DestroyerThe DestroyerOffensive Fullback
Transfer Fee2.541.000 €1.195.800 €2.214.100 €3.190.900 €
Annual Salary690.500 €654.300 €649.000 €801.300 €
Attacking stylePossesion29297979
Build upShort Pass79792979
Attacking ZoneWide79797979
PositioningFlexible29797979
Defensive StyleFrontline pressure29797979
Penning AreaWideWide / CenterCenterWide / Center
PressureConservative29297979

It takes a little longer to make a good signing but it's worth it IMO.

So far, players i have signed that impressed me regardless of stats are:
GK - P. Alvarez
CB - Figal & Alderete
DMF - Endo
CMF - Borkeeiet
SS - Madi Queta

Some from the youth team: Teixeira (LB), Bjerre & Harrington (AMF)

If you're starting or if you are on a budget i'd reccomend all of those players.. it'll all depend on your patience and your playstyle :)

Last edited:
Nice surprise tonight...

Went through as 3rd after a win v Wales. I'm Italy and have been dog shite for the first 2 games v turkey and Switzerland. Dropped Jorginho and reverted to a 4 2 3 1 and my main man Insigne scored the only goal. A professional performance from Italy no errors at the back and only 1 shot for Wales.

After coming 3rd thought that was over. But the dream continues v Russia in the knockout round. No school tomorrow (secondary school teacher) so the aim is to win the Euros. Next game if we win that is Germany so doubt that will happen..

Played a bit of fixed cursor ML. First time I've had the chance in a few weeks. Figured I'd give top player another go given the new patch. Still the same old unenjoyable experience which is a shame. If/when I feel like playing 2020 again, I'll just have to make do with pro because the AI is just so bad on anything higher

Good morning. Nice to see some things don’t change. imo the game has. Had a week or two off before the data pack (because myclub is utter vomit and team spirit in ML is META ) had pretty much fallen out of, i won’t say 'love', but there was SOME enjoyment, in exhibition mode and Team Play, occasionally .
Anyway, I come back and it plays pretty great. The shooting is noticeably different imo. The Stadium camera has improved too. And I don’t remember them adding so many new animations with a data pack, if ever. I’m almost certain I’m seeing things I haven’t seen this year. Little touches. Finesse dribbling that feels like you can manipulate the ball better(with the right players, of course). ai , not perfect but definitely improved. They’re much more varied and they make mistakes! A lot. Their touch and passes aren’t constantly precise. They leave gaps you can exploit. And you can visibly see defenders switching off for a second or two late in the game.
so I played a euros.

20 min. Fuma. Basic thru ball. Superstar.

Scraped through but knocked out next round as Norway.
with not an ounce of frustration. The game going back to a feeling id long forgotten that was so great about pes that if you played well you could win and if you conceded, 99 times out of 100 it was your fault. Realistic I’d say. I know you’ll dump on me but idc. I’m enjoying it immensely. It feels like a mix of 20 and what I assume the demo would of been. It’s quite OBVIOUSLY much slower. The flow of the game. Yet there’s a zip to movement of agile players but you know you’re about to muscle that little wippet off the ball with Chiellini if you can just get close enough... you can pirlo it about. Messi between two or 3 ... Ronaldo it with venom now. De Bruyner an unthinkable one that carves them open only for sterling to shin it to the keeper because I forgot to control the ball with right trigger ... You can even play the no look pass of the century (pirlo to grosso against Germany) I’ve nearly Van bastened one and I know I will one day.
These things are all possible which is why I love Pes. Creating your own moments to add to those of some of your heroes. All these things are possible when your TIMING and PRECISION and VISION and WEIGHT(press) of pass and your decision making and you chose the right trick at the right time and do you expect everything you do to come off? ...

but I come here and I see some are still having trouble winning those penalties.

With nothing more to say.

Just delete it. And never come back.

imo.

Idk sometimes. I am left utterly baffled. Maybe Lockdown has sent some of us crazy. I just think some people will never be happy.

Stay safe in these crazy times.

So you're saying, if you don't like the game:

Just delete it. And never come back.

imo.

I just think some people will never be happy.

Do you think the same when you see this happen in your games?

Before I saw the above video, I saw this video from @MafiaMurderBag, and had to look twice - it looked like a real game, from the modded camera angle he was using. I thought, wow, I should give PES another shot.

In moments, the game looks amazing. In general, when collision is so poor - and not just collision, but player movement (look at the player taking big strides in opposite directions like they're playing "don't step on the cracks in the pavement" or something)...

Man. I don't get how you see players stumbling around like they're drunk in a dark basement, and think people should either love the game, or delete it - and that the problems are easy to overlook. (I see these issues every single match.)

It has huge problems. Other sports titles are in a whole other world compared to where they were in the year 2000. Yet here we are with a football game that, yes, does a lot right - but in FAR TOO MANY ways, is locked in an era of PS2 tech.

its not winning penalties of not winning them , its the inconsistency that is frustrating , each data pack changes DP 5 zero DP6 around 5 or 6 DP7 zero - and this goes all the way back to PES 2017 - one DP the dive button worked exactly as is should - then patched out - for me its the whole collision system, referee decision making that is at fault. I mean now you get booked for diving during any advantage - other than that the games great but its a massive part they need to improve on and i still wonder if its intentional to keep the game flowing for online

does pass assist help with dribble and other aspect of gameplay?

out of frustation, I changed from PA1 to PA2, because after a handful of beautiful games, AI beat me with 4-5 touches per goal they make, or my final pass never really reach my player.

I can dribble and shield and do some minimal yet effective skillmoves, but when I change from PA1 to PA2, everythhing change. I can dribble way better, shoots more accurately, and even defend better as well. Won big in ML susperstar difficulty.

Give a Go on PES this morning. Group stage, Superstar against Germany. It seems they were with the Devil on them! Chasing my Defenders, marking high my side midfielders. I barely could Cross the midfield. At the end of the First half, score was 3 nil tô them.

Try it again with a diferent aprouch, an ugly one by the way. I started bypass the midfield lobbing the ball to Lukaku and trying to win the header tô Hazard or de Bruyne them the oportunities started to apear. They were so offensive that my three strikers was one on one with their defenders. I won 3 nil. What a game.

Last edited:
I don’t play it anymore, it’s just a bit of a mess, collisions, player switching, scripting, keepers, fouls..commentators.......I find it quite tiresome to play.....so deleted it. If 2021 is an update of this them I’m out.......so much needs fixing, somethings are stunning, but as an overall experience it’s all a bit frustrating to enjoy (imo)

It just needs more life to it. It's all very textbook and rigid. Rare moments should be rare, but they are the norm in PES. There's such a disconnect as a result of the issues I've brought up many times. The tactics are rigidly 100% adhered to, and the spacing of the banks are enormous.

If 21 is indeed an update, then so be it, they need to update certain gameplay items that have served as warning signs for years now. I was happy to see the defensive midfielder's positioning was better - but that took about 2-3 years to finally figure out.

Graphically, the game's lighting makes no sense. It's washed out colors during the day, and super dark conditions at night. Just bizarre to me.

So.. With Italy in the Euros. Beat Russia in the second round. Insigne hattrick. Next up Germany.

No surprise got beat 2-1 in extra time. I was happy to make it that far, for some reason from the second half Germany was set to all-out attack, I have no idea why that is, as they were winning at that point and they remained all out attack until the end of the game.

To be honest with better finishing I would have one as I had more chances than them.

For reference, playing 15 minutes, TP.

Next up I'll be England. I think in real life Italy would have been satisfied with going out at the quarter finals to Germany has next year they won't be one of the favorites some good players (insigne /veratti /zaniolo /chiesa /bonucci /jorginho) but pretty average squad otherwise compared to past Azzuri.

Played a bit of fixed cursor ML. First time I've had the chance in a few weeks. Figured I'd give top player another go given the new patch. Still the same old unenjoyable experience which is a shame. If/when I feel like playing 2020 again, I'll just have to make do with pro because the AI is just so bad on anything higher
Thing is it's far too easy on professional imo. I enjoy it. But not much of a challenge.

Thing is it's far too easy on professional imo. I enjoy it. But not much of a challenge.

If I played controlling the whole team then sure. But I don't. I control my player and that's it; I play on pro because my AI teammates are awful and the only way for me to get enjoyment is to have the opposition AI be equally as bad.

So you're saying, if you don't like the game:

Do you think the same when you see this happen in your games?

Before I saw the above video, I saw this video from @MafiaMurderBag, and had to look twice - it looked like a real game, from the modded camera angle he was using. I thought, wow, I should give PES another shot.

In moments, the game looks amazing. In general, when collision is so poor - and not just collision, but player movement (look at the player taking big strides in opposite directions like they're playing "don't step on the cracks in the pavement" or something)...

Man. I don't get how you see players stumbling around like they're drunk in a dark basement, and think people should either love the game, or delete it - and that the problems are easy to overlook. (I see these issues every single match.)

It has huge problems. Other sports titles are in a whole other world compared to where they were in the year 2000. Yet here we are with a football game that, yes, does a lot right - but in FAR TOO MANY ways, is locked in an era of PS2 tech.

To add to that, I've spent way more time than I should posting about this game's issues with clips to back it up. So yeah it's been disingenuous for anyone to dismiss complaints about issues with the game as just 'oh some people just wanna be mad about something.'

The answer is yes, the game is hard coded to avoid giving penalties against the AI. However, and I think this is the important aspect many people forget, this was at its core added due to fan requests.

The AI have been gifted advantages in their own box since PES 2017, and this has steadily increased since then. The issue stems from the fact that in PES 2016, despite being an exquisite game of football, one common complaint from fans was that it was too easy. It wasn't, it was a difficult game for the vast majority, but the problem that Konami (and any developer of a football game) has is that if you build the "perfect" football game, with no input lag, pixel-perfect control of players, and completely fair AI, then the top level players will eventually absolutely master the game to the point where they cannot lose. In PES 2016, top players that played the game for hundreds of hours could easily get to a level where they were literally playing like Messi with every player, dancing through the AI in the box with frightening precision and creativity. The problem we have today is that AI in a football game, if all elements are fair, can never match the level of a top player, because football is fundamentally a game about creativity. It doesn't matter how well you programme the AI, real players will execute passing and dribbling moves/combinations that the AI simply can't handle, as was the case in PES 2016.

In PES 2017, the response to the lack of difficulty for top level players was to give the AI more freedom to aggressively challenge the player in the box. The problem with that is, if you simply make the AI more aggressive in the box, top level players will be winning multiple penalties every single game. In order to balance this, on the top difficulty (superstar back then and now superstar and legendary) the ref has been toned down substantially for the AI in the box. This is still the case in PES 2020.

I agree that this is not ideal, but I am not sure what the solution is. Removing this would make the game too easy. FIFA 20 does not have this for example, and even on the highest difficulty (which increases AI player stats) you can absolutely destroy the AI consistently without challenge. The exact same was true of PES 2016, I remember going through invincible seasons in Master League on superstar towards the end of that game's life cycle.

I am hoping that on next gen, AI will improve and the challenge of the game will increase as a result without having to artificially aid the AI. I do think we will always see things like this in the game however; otherwise it will always be too easy for the very best players.
I think the problem most people have, is that the curent AI weapon is to humiliate Human controlled players stats, disposition P1 players for no reason to open gaps in defense and make players take 2-3 steps in wrong direction, in order the CPU defender will catch you up.

I can understand what you say as i played 2015-2016-2017 all in SUperstar mode and after some seasons that you snowball, the AI cannot compete with you, despite our players stats were respected and many teams had real ID.

Also those top players that complain about game being too easy, usually start a ML with Barca, Real, Man City, ManU etc. When you start with such teams it becomes easy for sure, since it becomes easy after 5 seasons , having started with ML defaults. BUt this current status since 2018 that evey team players laser-football and since 2019 that every COM team plays the same, is not acceptable and the ML experince after 2-3 seasons becomes stale.

I don’t play it anymore, it’s just a bit of a mess, collisions, player switching, scripting, keepers, fouls..commentators.......I find it quite tiresome to play.....so deleted it. If 2021 is an update of this them I’m out.......so much needs fixing, somethings are stunning, but as an overall experience it’s all a bit frustrating to enjoy (imo)
I feel the same. Jumped back on this week after not playing for months & it's just bored me to tears. The game is so so rigid & everything from the CPU AI feels pre determined. Telepathic defensive positioning & a lack of my own forwards response & speed just make the game dull.

I've missed numerous patches so am unsure what has & hasn't changed but when did the use of through ball with triangle become so utterly useless in the final 3rd?

As for the collision system & physicality, well I just don't what to say about it, it's almost non existent & I distinctly remember the demo having vastly superior player jostling & physics? Have they patched that out of the game as well!?

What mess, the thought of an updated 2020 for next season fills me with dread. No thank you Konami.

Tried it again. I was hoping they would at least fix the problem of the defence retreating to the 18-yard line the moment you got hold of the ball. But alas, no. Still acres of space all over the pitch. It just doesn't look like football because of that one fundamental problem.

I had a long session last night after spending such long amounts of time with the older games such as PES 3 & PES 2012 specifically, And let me tell you - Not once to i get stressed out or come away with a sour taste in my mouth with these older and so called "obsolete" games the way i do with PES 2020.

Old as they might well be but the player positioning of your team mates especially off the ball and the player switching is perfect. I never once utter expletives to myself when defending the way i do on 2020. This games big problem aside from player switching never giving you the appropriate player to challenge the ball carrier but rather actual player positioning. We've complained no end about the huge gaps between your midfield and back line especially when defending making it impossible to reasonably defend and it leaves you with this end to end type game play of "kick it back up this end when your done with it" - But rather the way players literally move.

The large strides is a good of putting it, It means that footballers who in 2020 are more nimble and agile then they've ever been in the history of the sport control more like trucks on ice because they have this strange acceleration to them, when your not even trying to be explosive or sprint with them!

I longed for inertia to applied to this game, Sure but that isn't the issue, It's the way they seem to be such chaotic, sprinty headless chickens off the ball - darting out of position leaving your back line totally disorganised - And that's just not professional football. Defenders need more chill and as i said, The retro games capture this perfectly. When i concede i feel it's because the AI did something productive or I did something wrong. And i take that on the chin because that's what i expect from the game.

The majority of the time when i concede on PES 2020, I feel like the game just lets me down and i'm stressing at my players randomly leaving their posts or wrestling with the controls to get the player i need to control rather then actually analysing the present attack. When you feel like your conceding because you don't even have a fair chance at defending the attack to begin with, Then that's just when it's not fun and leaves you sitting at the dinner table at tea time in a terrible mood rather than a fulfilled one because you did something enjoyable with your time.

Let me preface my response by saying that I strictly play fixed cursor.

Old as they might well be but the player positioning of your team mates especially off the ball and the player switching is perfect. I never once utter expletives to myself when defending the way i do on 2020. This games big problem aside from player switching never giving you the appropriate player to challenge the ball carrier but rather actual player positioning. We've complained no end about the huge gaps between your midfield and back line especially when defending making it impossible to reasonably defend and it leaves you with this end to end type game play of "kick it back up this end when your done with it" - But rather the way players literally move.

One of the fundamental issues I have been harping on about since I got this game; player positioning. Be it overall or situational. It's bad. No other way to say it honestly. Picture after picture, clip after clip, of the constant gaps between the lines. Of defenders not being where thy are supposed to be. Of the clear lack of transitional logic in the game. And of course, awareness and player movement certainly play a lot into that.

The large strides is a good of putting it, It means that footballers who in 2020 are more nimble and agile then they've ever been in the history of the sport control more like trucks on ice because they have this strange acceleration to them, when your not even trying to be explosive or sprint with them!

Not to mention the way the ball behaves at times, a lot of times, is strange. I feel like it bounces up and away a little too much. Even in situations where the ball doesn't have much momentum whatsoever.

Movement is clunky and robotic. While I've gotten a better hang of movement, I can't help but notice how stiff both my player looks/feels and how my AI teammates look; I've had this game since January and I can count the amount of times I've seen teammates actually take on a defender and beat said defender on one hand. Rashford is a nightmare to defend against one on one. He's one of the most explosive and dynamic players in the world. And yet in game, he is so physically incapable of beating defenders because of how he moves; slow, arduous, no burst whatsoever.

I longed for inertia to applied to this game, Sure but that isn't the issue, It's the way they seem to be such chaotic, sprinty headless chickens off the ball - darting out of position leaving your back line totally disorganised - And that's just not professional football. Defenders need more chill and as i said, The retro games capture this perfectly. When i concede i feel it's because the AI did something productive or I did something wrong. And i take that on the chin because that's what i expect from the game.

The amount of times defending players just run right into me is flat out ridiculous (of course no foul called). And besides that, too often inertia/momentum/what have you, plays no role in how defenders move. So frequently they change direction without losing speed or getting back to max speed within a step and I've seen defenders change direction mid air with neither foot on the ground.

I feel like there are 2 sets of AI at times; the AI controlling the player that the engine selects to engage with the ball, and then everyone else on the team. The disconnect is so obvious in how the player selected behaves and the rest of his team is so blatant at times. CBs not covering a beaten FB on a counter or no one covering a CB who's stepped up into no mans land. I've seen so many examples of it. Gone are the days of 10 v 10 man marking. Defending is a team exercise and that's just another aspect that PES has not replicated well this year outside of the final third imo.

The majority of the time when i concede on PES 2020, I feel like the game just lets me down and i'm stressing at my players randomly leaving their posts or wrestling with the controls to get the player i need to control rather then actually analysing the present attack. When you feel like your conceding because you don't even have a fair chance at defending the attack to begin with, Then that's just when it's not fun and leaves you sitting at the dinner table at tea time in a terrible mood rather than a fulfilled one because you did something enjoyable with your time.

Playing BAL and fixed cursor in ML, so many goals my team concede are down to passive almost brain dead defending. The AI just doesn't seem to sense danger or understand threat levels change in different areas on the pitch. Based on my experience playing this game, the AI cares about positioning above everything else to the point they will ignore immediate threats in order to maintain its position as dictated by the code. And even then it gets that wrong a lot of the time too.

Since dropping down to professional, I've had my fun with the game certainly. But that does not take away from the fact that PES has fundamental flaws.

Like the lack of transitional logic (teams don't only attack and defend). That overly passive nature of the AI. That flawed logic that determines the AIs ability to assess actual threats during all three phases (attack, defense, and the transitional phase). The flawed logic behind positioning. Poor implementation of player skills. Poor implementation of the physical side of the game/the lack of fouls. Defenders still not losing speed when changing direction. Rigid player movement. Flawed logic with tactics system. Player switching obviously. And that's just gameplay.

Just happened to me. For one, should have been a foul. More importantly, where is Dele Sandwich going? Incomprehensible noises flew out of my mouth and then I closed the game. I've come to grips with a lot of PES' faults as of late, but this is just inexcusable and has plagued the series for years. Ball awareness, player interactions, and basic human locomotion are lacking to such a baffling degree for a game that released in the year 2019.

When I have the ball this is what pisses me off more than anything. It's 0-60 (or 40, if you're playing on Legendary) in 10 seconds. You're never getting behind the defensive line, and you don't get the magic iron arse that the CPU gets in the same situation at the other end of the park to hold the defence off. But no-one ever sprints. Properly sprints. So you end up wrestling the controller in a never-ending, attritional, physical tussle. It's a gaming equivalent of eating peanut butter.

If I take this game on face value I'm not averse to it. But while I'm playing a PES2 ML at the same time I'm embarrassed for Konami. If you'll excuse me, I'm away to take Burchet for a spin.

I've been kind of finding lots of faults with the fouls lately and not getting many , maybe 2 or 3 max per game so tried fifa again. 5 games one advantage lol . So wet back to my ML ..9 fouls most I've had on ages..do they have some kind of fifa spy tool built in 😁...TBF I really like this game even with its issues

Just happened to me. For one, should have been a foul. More importantly, where is Dele Sandwich going? Incomprehensible noises flew out of my mouth and then I closed the game. I've come to grips with a lot of PES' faults as of late, but this is just inexcusable and has plagued the series for years. Ball awareness, player interactions, and basic human locomotion are lacking to such a baffling degree for a game that released in the year 2019.

In one short video, we see everything that’s wrong about the programming and so called AI....=a broken game

Back
Top Bottom