eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

What can I say...?!
Why did I not play the vanilla for so long?! I guess the whole package of 2017 with of and stuff got me comfy. And that’s good as it is. :)

Been playing the vanilla this whole weekend. Updating squads of licensed teams.

And it’s not only the AI that is more varied it’s the looseness of the ball, different animations, and other minor stuff.

Players use their head more to forward the ball, players do diving headers, players turn around the opponent in 360 and don’t get stuck, dribbling seems a tad better, shots have more weight and are slowed down a bit, AI isn’t that super hectic and clinical (snapping their legs in) when you are on the ball wich leaves room for dribbling stuff, AI strickers put them low to the corners with the inside of the boot (instead of top corner clinical finishes) when appropriate (not all the time though), variance in crosses (hard low, loopy, regular) by the AI is here, more variety in Shot posture by my players, scuffed shots and passes are more pronounced... and more!

I’m not talking team or player ID, just the “base of the basics” of football fundamentals! There is still a lot to be desired though (I’m not shy saying this)!! But this vanilla is just the best version of PES2020, imo! Why in God’s name don’t we have the ability to choose from a certain patch file version and still be able to use the editor to its full potential (importing and such)?!?!
Sorry god, I know you have more important things to do. :PRAY:

There is definitely more in here!!! :D

Btw: can I borrow the term “vanilla nutters” for use on Twitter?!

Edit: and let me add, this is what I potentially felt like paying money for after experiencing the demo! ;)

Last edited:
I’m live again:

Edit: what a „delightful slaughter“. :LOL:
Thanks for tuning in guys (2), I appreciate every one of you watching!!

Edit: takes about half a day for YouTube to process the video.
Guess quality ain’t got no time limit! ;) :LOVE:

Last edited:
One thought I just had, and I don’t wanna come across rude or some thing (especially with that rig build a week ago in mind), where is the PC “master race” when it comes to NOT UPDATING these days?!
Are there still PC versions of games in disc so you don’t have to rely on steam and other platforms or updates at all, to play a game?

One thought I just had, and I don’t wanna come across rude or some thing (especially with that rig build a week ago in mind), where is the PC “master race” when it comes to NOT UPDATING these days?!
Are there still PC versions of games in disc so you don’t have to rely on steam and other platforms or updates at all, to play a game?
PC games do still come on discs, but usually they have a code inside that you still need to enter into an online store to activate. I bought FM2020 this way as it was cheaper, activated my key and binned the disc :D. I haven't had a disc drive for 6 years so I'm not sure if you could install those versions and remain on them by playing in offline mode or something.

You can choose to download old versions through Steam by using the console commands, but I think developers can choose to disable access to old depots if they want - I haven't tried it for PES, but people used this method to access the original demo version. I think the original PC release was a later version than the console disc "1.00" version anyway so it wouldn't be possible to download it.

Guide;
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889624474

Some nice developers also put older versions in the "Betas" tab of the game properties, so you can easily choose which version you want to play. Konami are not one of these :P.

I'm glad you're finding enjoyment with the game and I certainly preferred many gameplay aspects in the demo, but does the lack of CPU pressure not annoy you? I don't think I could play like that... It looks like they give you acres of space and you can just walk around their really limp tackling attempts. I remember another user here who endlessly praised V1.00 (DigitalByDesign) and in one of the videos they posted, their first passage of play was walking through the opposition's half unopposed and getting a shot off with Jan Vertonghen on Superstar difficulty;

edit: its a shame how the yt compression is droping the quality of a video. uploaded in 1080/60... but those artifacts...
might be test-uploading to streamable.

Last edited:
PC games do still come on discs, but usually they have a code inside that you still need to enter into an online store to activate. I bought FM2020 this way as it was cheaper, activated my key and binned the disc :D. I haven't had a disc drive for 6 years so I'm not sure if you could install those versions and remain on them by playing in offline mode or something.

You can choose to download old versions through Steam by using the console commands, but I think developers can choose to disable access to old depots if they want - I haven't tried it for PES, but people used this method to access the original demo version. I think the original PC release was a later version than the console disc "1.00" version anyway so it wouldn't be possible to download it.

Guide;
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889624474

Some nice developers also put older versions in the "Betas" tab of the game properties, so you can easily choose which version you want to play. Konami are not one of these :P.

I'm glad you're finding enjoyment with the game and I certainly preferred many gameplay aspects in the demo, but does the lack of CPU pressure not annoy you? I don't think I could play like that... It looks like they give you acres of space and you can just walk around their really limp tackling attempts. I remember another user here who endlessly praised V1.00 (DigitalByDesign) and in one of the videos they posted, their first passage of play was walking through the opposition's half unopposed and getting a shot off with Jan Vertonghen on Superstar difficulty;

well, im good with the pressure they provide on top player! see my latest video... i got slaughtered! :D
sure it could be better... but hey... its miles ahead of the latest DP affected AI (variety wise)! i just upped the difficulty by 1 and for now i'm good!

It's so annoying that the PES team are so content with the gameplay of PES2020 that it's going to be relatively unchanged for the next version. We all know what the ai is capable of just by looking at previous PES titles but as the franchise progresses the ai gets dumber. How do they expect gamers to keep supporting them when they dial back and even removing some of the best features that once made PES great ?

I can appreciate that their primary focus is Myclyb but they're deliberately throwing offline gamers under the bus to continue push a frankly weak online experience.

∆ not turning this into a comparison post but fifa is the same, try FIFA 17 compared to FIFA 18 19 or 20..everything about how it plays is better ..AI approach and pressure , ball physics , fouls ..not sure why both series are going backwards using the same engines the only thing I can put it down to is as online has grown and become the focus the AI has got progressively worse..it must be a decision or they'd just leave the AI as is from the likes of 17 but theyve decided on both games to make it worse

Yeah there is no physical copy for PC at all, if you buy it at the store you get a steam code which if you activate the earlierst version you can get is 1.01 which is already fucked. And no we dont even have the 1.00 available in the steam database, we were looking for it at launch, that was the first thing we did. PS4 is the only way to enjoy vanilla.

Yeah there is no physical copy for PC at all, if you buy it at the store you get a steam code which if you activate the earlierst version you can get is 1.01 which is already fucked. And no we dont even have the 1.00 available in the steam database, we were looking for it at launch, that was the first thing we did. PS4 is the only way to enjoy vanilla.
alright then. thanks for clearing that up!
its a shame for PC users! so i guess choosing from different patch versions is the future (players are hoping for)!?

alright then. thanks for clearing that up!
its a shame for PC users! so i guess choosing from different patch versions is the future (players are hoping for)!?
I think an hypothetical "freely select your patch of choice" feature would be one of the few things that could legitimately hype most of us in both titles. Cause everything else gameplay wise could and probably would be toned down or removed if needed to balance their precious online gold mine, as already saw countless times.

I think an hypothetical "freely select your patch of choice" feature would be one of the few things that could legitimately hype most of us in both titles. Cause everything else gameplay wise could and probably would be toned down or removed if needed to balance their precious online gold mine, as already saw countless times.

That's they key thing for me - the ability to create versions of the gameplay that suit whatever the myClub influencers want, whilst still having a version available that attempts to be a simulation for offline players. Whether that's via a sim/arcade switch or through patch versions, it's increasingly apparent that this is going to be a requirement for this game to avoid alienating one side or the other......and we all know they're not going to alienate the myClub spenders.

If only the Ai was consistently fun and rewarding to play against, PES2020 would be an amazing experience. Played around 50 exhibition matches since last week and only around 10% of them were fun memorable. Brief moments of brilliance from the ai is only a bitter sweet reminder of what could have been.

∆ not turning this into a comparison post but fifa is the same, try FIFA 17 compared to FIFA 18 19 or 20..everything about how it plays is better ..AI approach and pressure , ball physics , fouls ..not sure why both series are going backwards using the same engines the only thing I can put it down to is as online

That was the year they switched focus to e-sports. Taking a football game where you have 22 players on the pitch and trying to make it a 1v1 competitive game was a dumb idea to begin with and we're reaping the results now. So it's not just online, it's the obsession with making it competitive. Now it's evolved into a completely new sport, you don't just play a football game, you play Fifa. And eFootball.

If only the Ai was consistently fun and rewarding to play against, PES2020 would be an amazing experience. Played around 50 exhibition matches since last week and only around 10% of them were fun memorable. Brief moments of brilliance from the ai is only a bitter sweet reminder of what could have been.
do you own the disc?! if so, have you tried the vanilla?!

I have to agree here.
Thing is, it depends so much on what mode you are playing and what settings you use to what your impression on PES will be.

I don´t feel this game being dull or boring.
I probably would, if I would play it straight out of the box with all them standard settings, assistance, standard cam etc etc etc.

Forcing myself to play it fully manual was a good decision to me, to be able to enjoy that game. I don´t mean to convert anyone playing it manual only or also don´t wanna praise how good manual is over assisted. But I think that it it´s a big matter about how you feel about this game.
The positive things you mentioned, probably don´t shine through on someone playing it online, assisted or whatever.

At the moment, I´m having a lot of fun, playing PES 2020. ML, full manual, game speed -1, stadium cam (pace on dynamic wide for example is noticable faster), regular. Only downsides, fouls and difficulty, even I have to say that I had a hard time beating AS Rome and lost against Italy in national friendlies for example.
The DP 8.0 update feels quite nice according to gameplay imo....and here lies the problem:
Even they deny it, there must be some few tweakings or something they don´t intent do do, which has an effect on something though.
Same with the demo version that felt so different than the full release, but KONAMI denying any gameplaychanges.

And with PES 2022 and a new eninge. Necessary? I don´t know....maybe.
But if we still have issues with fouls, limited database and updates that slightly change the gameplay, even devs are denying it... :II
if you can chief, i recommend giving the vanilla disc another try! :)

Last edited:
I've gone back to vanilla and Fifa 17 which I hated but shines now . With 1.0 it feels heavier and seems more player ID. Last match coutinho for Brazil killed the ball 25 yards from goal then tried to bend one with his right foot but over and wide ..just doesn't happen on later patches

I've gone back to vanilla and Fifa 17 which I hated but shines now . With 1.0 it feels heavier and seems more player ID. Last match coutinho for Brazil killed the ball 25 yards from goal then tried to bend one with his right foot but over and wide ..just doesn't happen on later patches
YES! for example: last night i had Gnabry trying to bend one with the outside of his right boot into the far top corner... he missed, running towards the keeper from the side! but still he tried and i liked that!!! the vanilla has a lot more of those "more human" attempts by the AI, i big (if not the greatest) plus over DP8!
i was thinking it had a bit of "the other game-ish" feeling to it. sure, its not as massive in variety but its damn better than DP8!

btw: the vanilla shows the AI interrupting/delaying their attempts (you see the animation snap and stuff) when you act accordingly (closing lanes and covering opponents). they do react a bit to what you do... plus the variety in everything... more loose balls and players... it adds! :)

edit: if my english was only better... i'd comment on all the positive and negative stuff during gameplay. @SpoonyPizzas or TTB style... or like my man, @The_Knight !! but first, my english isnt that good and while i'm playing im focused. ok i admint, i just cant comment fluently while playing a game (in a serious way)! :LOL:

Last edited:

if you can chief, i recommend giving the vanilla disc another try! :)
I'm waiting for my physical copy to arrive (probably tomorrow) until then I'm limited to the current digital version or the post patched demo.

I'm waiting for my physical copy to arrive (probably tomorrow) until then I'm limited to the current digital version or the post patched demo.
great! perfect setup man!
hammer what you have (aka not the best version) until the disc drops at your house! play one last match with the patched version! deinstall, reinstall, cut inet connection and enjoy/replay the same fixture you just played with the patched version! you will see bud!! you will see.... :D

great! perfect setup man!
hammer what you have (aka not the best version) until the disc drops at your house! play one last match with the patched version! deinstall, reinstall, cut inet connection and enjoy/replay the same fixture you just played with the patched version! you will see bud!! you will see.... :D
Got a brand new physical copy for PS4 for £13, so it's not bad at all. I'm looking forward to playing it without the post patch bullshit.

On the comparisons of the older games being better.... isn't it just a case of the novelty of experiencing them 'fresh' again given they haven't been played in a while?

Some elements may genuinely have gotten worse, but its easy to overlook the flaws when you haven't played it too death yet. Guarantee after a few weeks of regular play, if you went back to the latest version again you will suddenly realise how restrictive they are in comparison and how much they're missing.

Similarly we all hold PES 5 in high regard, but if you tried it now it will be immediately obvious how far the games have progressed. We may not have the simulation we'd have expected in 2020, but those older games are infinitely more arcade like in retrospect.

Not that I'm entirely happy with PES 2020 currently, but I still good a solid 8 months of entertainment and its still the best football games on the market. Maybe not up to the standard people want or expect, but definitely hasn't regressed behind a 3 year old game.

On the comparisons of the older games being better.... isn't it just a case of the novelty of experiencing them 'fresh' again given they haven't been played in a while?

Some elements may genuinely have gotten worse, but its easy to overlook the flaws when you haven't played it too death yet. Guarantee after a few weeks of regular play, if you went back to the latest version again you will suddenly realise how restrictive they are in comparison and how much they're missing.

Similarly we all hold PES 5 in high regard, but if you tried it now it will be immediately obvious how far the games have progressed. We may not have the simulation we'd have expected in 2020, but those older games are infinitely more arcade like in retrospect.

Not that I'm entirely happy with PES 2020 currently, but I still good a solid 8 months of entertainment and its still the best football games on the market. Maybe not up to the standard people want or expect, but definitely hasn't regressed behind a 3 year old game.

I think my major issue with the modern releases of PES is that I believe they could do do much better. The older ones (13 being the last one I truly enjoyed) I always felt like the game was released to the best of the devs abilities, maybe not always pushing the envelope technically but it felt like they really tried. So I was more forgiving of issues the games had or features lacking. Modern PES I don’t get that feeling, it comes across as “that’ll do, just release it” so I find myself becoming more bitter towards things that should be better.

Example alert: the opening load screen, I was first greeted by a poorly cropped Scott McTominay on a blank background. That’s minimal effort, a real “that’ll do” approach.

I have a similar view with other games too, recently I’ve been playing DayZ a lot. Which quite honestly is a buggy mess of a game, but I feel like the devs have tried and are continuing to try so I’m more forgiving.

So back to the original point, the older games are far from perfect, and arguably technically worse in areas. But they felt like they were trying to push the limits much more than the newer versions do. So that’s why I personally have more time for them.

Apologies for rambling.

After playing and watching the ai in the un-patched physical copy of PES2020 I will never go back to the digital version. I have no problem sacrificing the ability to play online and to import kits for the significantly better ai. It's shocking how. much the ai gameplay has been down graded since launch..

Hi!
Me and a friend looking for people who want to join our own made "Master League online"
We just plays online versus and then use leaguerepublic for all the stats and standings etc.
Creates our own kits and things like that using the userdata.
We build our teams with a startingbudget and then uses the pesmaster playervalue for earning/lose money for the transfers.

Would be fun if there is anyone else who likes to be "nerdy" enough to join us 🤣

hi everyone, i'm new in pes2k20 on ps4.

I have question is there any classic patch with baggio's real face in it?
what is the best patch for epes2k20 on ps4?

Spent several hours watching Ai exhibition matches on un-patched PES2020 on PS4 and I've not yet seen a dull game. Loads of varied play by the Ai, some stunning goals and lots of creative dribbling by players like Messi, Neymar and Mbappe. It's got a few minor faults but imo it's much better than the dull, shallow gameplay from the patched game. Loving it.

hi everyone, i'm new in pes2k20 on ps4.

I have question is there any classic patch with baggio's real face in it?
what is the best patch for epes2k20 on ps4?
Hi there, genesian!

First, you shouldn’t make it any worse... efootballpes2020 is bad enough! ;) we like to call it PES!
Second, have a look at the option file section here: https://evo-web.co.uk/forums/option-files.332/

Alternatives are PESuniverse and PESworld:
https://www.pesuniverse.com/

https://www.pesworld.co.uk/

And welcome to the community!! :BYE:

Edit: welcome again @Davve ! 2nd post... keep it up lad!
As online gameplay feels totally different to me (and I don’t like it) I’m out. Plus my PES2020 “needs” updating! :LOL:
Good luck on your search man; I like multiplayer per se, but more like couch battles in front of a single tv!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom