eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Hi guys,

A couple question for everyone here. I have Pes 2020, and I am thinking of purchasing 2021. Is PES 2021 that much of an upgrade over 2020? And if I do purchase it, is it better to purchase the physical copy (disc) or just download it from the PS4 store. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I've been down this path before. There is definitely an undeniable difference in gameplay post patch. It runs smooth as butter. But for some reason the game eventually seems to break itself again. I don't know how Konami do it but it always happens.

What do you mean? You mean you've patched it and its worse?

That's interesting, how many European ones are we talking?

A fair few. I've done a load of editing myself as I'm inpatient and can't wait for a full OF.

I'm 95% done, gone through every player to make sure I have no fakes or doubles, no fake teams etc... added loads of players that weren't on the game.

I've had to find another 8 teams for the other European slots and 2 more for Asia. So in my other European teams I'll now have AEK, Dundalk, Red Star, Malmo, APOEL, Red Bull Salzburg, Ludogarets, Astana, Dinamo Zagreb, Dynamo Kiev, Rosenborg, Qarabag, Wisla Krakow, Legia Warsaw, Olympiakos, Progress Nieserkorn, Panathinaikos, PAOK, Gornik Zabrze, Shakhtar, Ferencvaros, Slavia Prague, Sparta Prague, LASK, Cluj, Rijeka, Cork City, Valletta, Partizan Belgrade & Viking Stavanger. Plus the 3 relegated 2nd division Spanish sides who don't have fake players, so I'm leaving them in.

I've basically grabbed them all from OF from this year or last off PesFutebol, changed the team and players IDs using the Tededitor and imported them. Lot of work but saved hours of editing players.

So lots of extra teams which is lovely.

I will have to put tactics back in to confirm negatives, none really stood out.

Everything bad i noticed was Konami shit tactics related.

Core game is really, really good, fantastic!

One month in, I agree about core gameplay.

Best PES this gen at this stage, first PES I have played for a month and not got bored since like 17, not sure if it will top 2013, but those kind of judgements can only be formulated a year down the line at the very least.

same for advanced through ball, get to grips with that and its another layer on top - frustrating to begin with but once you get one right thats it , no going back to basic

Since seeing your posts about advanced T-B I've gone back to give it another try and am getting a real handle on it. The thing that helped it twig for me was to think of the LS as both direction AND power bar. Obviously as you know, the longer you hold the left stick, the further the ball goes but like you I'm playing without the circle guide so I have to judge by how long I hold it, it makes for some very satisfying and unique passes.

I have one big problem with it and I don't know if you've experienced this - sometimes it seems like the AI can't handle it at all, its player selection can't seem to cope and I've seen a number of passes being completely ignored that were easily cut-out-able. Takes the sheen off the mechanic somewhat.

What do you mean? You mean you've patched it and its worse?
No. It's hard to explain but after every patch since probably PES 2019 the game will run really smoothly and eventually after a couple of weeks (on its own, not via a new patch), the game will get really laggy and sluggish. Must be something with Konami's code or something.

Ive said it somewhere before and I truly believe that the game over complicates itself trying to replicate tactics and formations. It needs to be kept simple and let the players stats come into affect more, rather than them be hampered by how the game restricts players based on a tactic.

No. It's hard to explain but after every patch since probably PES 2019 the game will run really smoothly and eventually after a couple of weeks (on its own, not via a new patch), the game will get really laggy and sluggish. Must be something with Konami's code or something.
if (date >= “05/11/2020”) {
BeCrapLikePes2020()
} else {
GoodGameplay()
}

lo
■ Other Updates

・ Made some tweaks to the system responsible for determining what occurs when users go idle in online matches.

A variety of minor adjustments have been made to each mode to improve the overall gaming experience.
lol that one always get me. now the changs seem to be for the better - trust me , subsequent patches will ruin the game - why not just be detailed about this KONAMI? toot your own horn so to speak

Since seeing your posts about advanced T-B I've gone back to give it another try and am getting a real handle on it. The thing that helped it twig for me was to think of the LS as both direction AND power bar. Obviously as you know, the longer you hold the left stick, the further the ball goes but like you I'm playing without the circle guide so I have to judge by how long I hold it, it makes for some very satisfying and unique passes.

I have one big problem with it and I don't know if you've experienced this - sometimes it seems like the AI can't handle it at all, its player selection can't seem to cope and I've seen a number of passes being completely ignored that were easily cut-out-able. Takes the sheen off the mechanic somewhat.
couple of things i play with auto player selection which helps. Also try selecting a way with power and then repeat quickly before the balls kicked quick - seems to put some proper zip in.

After the update turns out Watford is the strongest team in the championship.. it used to be 2nd or 3rd
i was waiting this DLC & proper OF to start a ML as them.

Do you think that's cheap? considering they're the stongest now?

I have created uniforms for them, plus they have some good youngsters and they are the team with most faces in the league.. i just feel a bit bummed they might be overpowered.. (they'll be crap in the Premier League, tho)

Last edited:
couple of things i play with auto player selection which helps. Also try selecting a way with power and then repeat quickly before the balls kicked quick - seems to put some proper zip in.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I meant the opposition AI get a bit confused by advanced through balls. It's like the curl totally foxes them sometimes.

Game deffo plays different. Due to all the editing I've only been having a game here and there but just trying out several teams I've imported and I've seen several things I wasn't seeing before...

- AI dribbles more
- Collisions are more 'natural'
- Seen a couple of animations I've never seen before

Whisper it quietly but once I'm done editing, I won't be updating this anymore as it's playing great.

I'm also using a mixture of manual and low assists. Full manual I'd struggle with but I'm finding during a game, in certain situations, I'm making manual passes to play the ball into space or in a tight gap. Adds another dimension.

The game is better.

Biggest difference is responsiveness is much, mich better than default.

There are more animations

Much more fouls. Collisions are much better, still an issue but much improved i even got a penalty from just left stick dribbling with hagi. Had one 15 minute match end with 5 fouls each.

Overall. Great core gameplay improves all round. Really good.

But

BUT.

Game feels easier.

Why

KONAMI!!!! SERIOUSLY. WHAT HE FUCK DO YOU CALL THESE TACTICS???

JUVENTUS PLAY LIKE RETARDS!!!!

THE OBSESSION WITH DEEP DEFENSIVE LINE.

SETTINGS AND FORMATIONS WHICH DO NOT WORK AND MAKE NO GODDAM SENSE.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!! THE REVOLUTION STARTS TODAY!! NO MORE OF THIS BULLSHIT!!!

100% agree with this - I’ve not played football games for years but got last year’s PES after spending 5 mins in a FIFA demo.

The core game is really good and some of the teams can really be set up to mimic their real life counterparts, but the default tactics are AWFUL. I do not get why they seemingly have no interest in having Liverpool play like Liverpool or any team mimic the style that team uses in real life.

It’s bad enough that Master League has tactics set in stone for each team and they don’t change or evolve, but I understand that stuff is more difficult to code. Why doesn’t make sense is having developers do all the hard work of implementing the different tactical initiatives and patterns and then whoever sets up the game can’t spend a few hours going through and sorting them out.

The ultimate kicker being that if you do this manually they get overwritten as soon as the stupid live update kicks in.

Anyway, one reason I don’t see much PES in my future is how terrible Konami’s comms and interaction with the community is, but if you think there is a good way to get this message over to them I’m all for joining in.

Have to say I'm quite surprised to see that gameplay has actually improved. Old problems persist though - it is all VERY predictable and the old CPU boosts persist - which means I won't be touching this again until @Holland and / or @PMOTU work their magic for the new version.

Good thing about playing vanilla for a while - it makes you appreciate more how much mods improve this game.

Well, the 'out the box' version of this game, I must have seen maybe 1 or 2 players try to dribble with the ball in quite a few games.

I've played 4 games tonight, basically testing stuff. Just did Valletta v Rijeck. 1 star team v 2 star team. Valletta had a winger and everytime he got it, I was anticipating the usual few steps forward, pass inside or back. Nope, everytime, he faced my defender up and tried to beat him on the outside.

So yep, the AI play is more varied. I'm gonna try Barca v Bayern in a minute and see what Messi does.

Oh and after 3 games on the new update, I just got awarded a penalty. Playing as Rangers, Morales gets the ball in the box, trys to shield it, defender comes through the back of me. Ball comes out to edge of the box, so I ping a shot which is deflected wide. Ref blows the whistle and gives a pen. Deffo more fouls in the update, before it was like the AI wouldn't make a miss-timed tackle.

Thing is with dribbling, there is a fine line between what people class dribbling as.

Are we talking 1 player, picking up the ball and beating 3 or 4 men? Or are we talking about a player beating the man in front of him to open up play? Because if its the former, if you watch a lot of footy, it's not often you'll see 1 player go on a mental run and beat 3 or 4 players.

On PES with good use of the sprint button and LT I find I can get the ball and beat the first man. Sometimes maybe the 2nd. That's realistic enough for me cos' if I could get the ball and basically glue it to my players foot and beat 11 men on the pitch, dribble round the whole crowd, run out the stadium to the local Tesco and dribble it round all their customers, then bang one in the top corner, I'd play FIFA.

Well, the 'out the box' version of this game, I must have seen maybe 1 or 2 players try to dribble with the ball in quite a few games.

I've played 4 games tonight, basically testing stuff. Just did Valletta v Rijeck. 1 star team v 2 star team. Valletta had a winger and everytime he got it, I was anticipating the usual few steps forward, pass inside or back. Nope, everytime, he faced my defender up and tried to beat him on the outside.

So yep, the AI play is more varied. I'm gonna try Barca v Bayern in a minute and see what Messi does.

Oh and after 3 games on the new update, I just got awarded a penalty. Playing as Rangers, Morales gets the ball in the box, trys to shield it, defender comes through the back of me. Ball comes out to edge of the box, so I ping a shot which is deflected wide. Ref blows the whistle and gives a pen. Deffo more fouls in the update, before it was like the AI wouldn't make a miss-timed tackle.
Playing the other day against the Crystal Palace AI with Holland’s exe and Lewpop’s dt18, Eze and Saha were constantly, and I mean constantly dribbling my defenders. I wish I could’ve recorded it but I was too amazed to do it.

Well yes sure, i can see some AI players constantly walking into my defenders with the ball too. Thats about how far their dribbling goes. Even in the PES2020 Demo this feature was kinda broken but at least sometimes there you could see Ronaldo and Dybala trying to dibble. Nothing since. What was more weird is Messi was the one single player who could be the most capable yet never attempted to dribble in the demo.
This AI Dribbling on FOX PES like the bigfoot, people know it doesnt exist yet for some people it always appear. :LMAO:

Have you seen anything like this?

I doubt it sorry.

Feels a bit stiffer to me and not as organic like the players are slightly on rails. I can't put my finger on it. yes the ai has variety but they also stand off and are much less aggressive in the tackle.

Yet again I find myself asking why they can't actually MAKE IMPROVEMENTS, without taking something else away. On FUMA it feels like I'm fighting to make my man move in a direction.

Also they still didn't update the Atalanta kits with sponsors and most of Serie B still has none. I mean cmon Konami you have the bloody licenses!!!!!

In real football you have good dribblers constantly try to exploit one v one. Adama Traore, Zaha, Sterling, Neymar.. just to name a bunch, there are tens and tens and not only the well known ones. In Pes that's a practically inexistent AI option, although in 2021 videos I've seen the odd dribbling here and there and it seems to be a bit more present than in 20.

The ironic thing is that there are still pompous COM playstyle abilities such as trickster, which in theory should grant you exactly this same thing from the AI but that in practice do like, nothing.

Last edited:
To be fair, making the AI go for proper dribbling challenges has to be one of the hardest things to try and program in a football game. I don't think anyone wants a cheaty AI that just runs at you with the ball and then turns instantly when you tackle. But right now, the AI doesn't turn at all but just runs the ball straight at you a lot of the time :/ That should never happen.

FUMA on LEGEND (Post Patch notes) after at least 8-10 matches (20 min)

1-AI has more variety: more dribbling, more long through passes , more long shots etc...
2- Shooting is more direct and powerful... I liked that
3- Collisions and physical play is more effective..
4- Never seen collisions, heading animations.... sure they were in the game but not used before for somehow
5- Refrees are crap as usual
6- Dribbling with good dribblers a lil more responsive and accurate...

Good job konami.. now it is time to start a ML

Back
Top Bottom