eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

I would have bought by now if it wasn’t for the fact that most likely they’ll revert the gameplay with DP’s and ruin the good experience everyone’s talking about now. I’m tempted to go PC, but I had some input lag while playing the pc version of 2020 🙄
If this happens I’m gone from football games

I know I said I'd stay out of this thread with any negativity but just saw this on Reddit and thought I'd share - I know this is one ridiculous example, but it encapsulates the main problem I have with this game (and the other game), why I'm sick of playing them and it can't be solved with updates.

What is happening on the screen isn't even the real gameplay. You can see just in these few seconds how scripted this situation is... The GK gets wiped out, but the game already decided that he's catching that ball and continuing his movement forward, so the ball sticks in his grasp despite clipping into his arm/hands, his feet just warp over the player because the game decided he's playing a running animation instead of a falling one...

Even when we praise stuff like the foot planting or ball physics, it's cheating, it's not actually even doing those things. It's deciding behind the scenes what is going to happen and picking which animations for the players/ball seem to make sense. In this situation it got it wrong and it looks ridiculous, but even when it gets it right then I feel this sense of everything being artificial/predetermined.

I wouldn’t argue with your point but what is the other probable outcome..Keepers goes into the being clattered animation or the forward scores..It’s probably also one of the rare and worst examples of clipping your see(impossible for this not to happen in any game).

It’s always going to be this way with canned animation and in that same situation again the forward could of scored based on the maths and algorithms..

This isnt real and I think your expectations exceed where any game is currently(reality check).

Im not defending the game because I get your point..But we all know as does Konami that the dated engine needs the next gen treatment..

Ive never been more confident going forward now..The stuff this game is doing TECH aside..Is well beyond the other games in-terms of how it interpretes how a real football game plays out..Ebb,flow,how you can have midfield battles and play(yes that’s right)..And all the build up,probing play..It’s just USER driven...Final third,dribbling,manual shooting,unassited passing,ball physics(Konami just knock it out of the park).

Pick all you will(that’s your freedom)..

Last edited:
I wouldn’t argue with your point but what is the other probable outcome..Keepers goes into the being clattered animation or the forward scores..

It’s always going to be this way with canned animation and in that same situation again the forward could of scored based on the maths and algorithms..

This isnt real and I think your expectations exceed where any game is currently(reality check).

Im not defending the game because I get your point..But we all know as does Konami that the dated engine needs the next gen treatment..

Ive never been more confident going forward now..The stuff this game is doing TECH aside..Is well beyond the other games in-terms of how it interpretes how a real football game plays out..

Pick all you will(that’s your freedom)...
Without wanting to go too deep into all the tech stuff again, this really shouldn't be where we are at in 2020 and I don't think my expectations are too high. Backbreaker came out over 10 years ago using Euphoria physics in an 11v11 sports game, and ran on the 360/PS3 (launched in 05/06 respectively).

Just watch this dev diary and imagine they're talking about (our) football instead. That would all sound revolutionary if we had a game like that today, and this video is over 10 years old... Football games, and many other sports games, have been stale for ages.

Without wanting to go too deep into all the tech stuff again, this really shouldn't be where we are at in 2020 and I don't think my expectations are too high. Backbreaker came out over 10 years ago using Euphoria physics in an 11v11 sports game, and ran on the 360/PS3 (launched in 05/06 respectively).

Just watch this dev diary and imagine they're talking about (our) football instead. That would all sound revolutionary if we had a game like that today, and this video is over 10 years old... Football games, and many other sports games, have been stale for ages.

Rubbish gameplay,great tech..

I get your point though and Ditto when it comes to your view on a ball generated in real time and uncanned animations,advanced physics...Pes21 does some pretty clever stuff with physics though despite the fox engine’s limits.

Konami have the gameplay now,they just need a new engine.That said I still think pes21 is very nice on the eye..So much so I’m preordering a X series next week just so I can enjoy pes21 on that when MS launch it.(and the other game of course).I love football,so will be buying both games this year.

Last edited:
The only way for PES to get somewhat back to it's roots would be to get Seabass or someone like him to head development, someone with a vision for the game that isn't about printing money, someone who would take all the fan feedback, compile it, print it out, place it all in a large stack and then burn the whole thing.
Then he would make the game the way he thinks it should be.

The only way for PES to get somewhat back to it's roots would be to get Seabass or someone like him to head development, someone with a vision for the game that isn't about printing money, someone who would take all the fan feedback, compile it, print it out, place it all in a large stack and then burn the whole thing.
Then he would make the game the way he thinks it should be.

lol..The myclub chestnut...

A lot of what pes21 does is superior to anything they’ve done prior imo..

There heading in the right direction and my club will only make pes a better game because of the money it generates..

I don’t like the morality of it all but the gameplay has actually got better the last three years..

Pes on the ps2 is a dinosaur..Konami are now taking pes more down the ISS/PERFECT striker root..In many ways it was a superior series and more about direct control much as FIFA’s mechanics become in 08 and onwards..360 movement etc,manual passing and less CPU assistance.

Pes on the ps2 was a stat driven game that orchestrated the gameplay completely.Automated gameplay on a isometric grid..Full of scripting and almost totally contrived..

Welcome to the 21 century!!

spending two days patching the game has been great fun, nothing better than remembering I've slight ocd for these things lol

What patches are people using to get all of the latest kits, balls, stadiums, boots etc? Is there a patch with bundesliga included?

I wo
Online is more enjoyable this year becasue of more responsive gameplay and defenders having more momentum and get beaten by movement. But Konami needs to reduce teammate pressure for next-gen version with the new engine. Constant pressure is annoying online.
I think its even worse online

I spend more time reading these forums than playing PES these days, so i took the plunge and bought it.

And to the above, PES has always been about the community editing aspect, now I see large PES Youtubers like TTB & Spoony Pizzas profiting off option files and subscription packages to PES Universe. Has to be considered when taking their 'views' onboard.

You also get beaten by momentum and inertia both in the player and ball..Blinsided or caught just plain flat footed(clever stuff).

Create the holes for the cpu and they will tare you a new one especially on the harder difficulties.The CPU will only play through you if you allow it..It’s about pressuring the ball at the right moments..and using tactics(not advanced)..To adjust these variables each match and in the changing context of the match your playing in.

This is very complex game..The thought and execution(those WEPs boys understand the deeper complexity of football,I’m mega impressed).Just like I was with PES on the ps2 back in the day..

It might not have next gen tech..But a lot of what is going on under the hood is next level.

I get some of what you are saying. I think I have better matches against the A.I. too because when I defend I try to defend how you would in real life--i use super cancel A LOT to cut off passing lines, know when to back off or step up, when to press and when not to press. Me and @Chris Davies raved about this in the PES 2018 beta and thats how it should be. FIFA 16 before it got patched had this as well. You had to defend like you would in real life. Then it went to shit in both games.

With that being said, it's also VERY MUCH Konami's fault for not forcing that to be the norm with their mechanics and engine. Why should gamers try to defend like you would in real life when you can run around gegen pressing like crazy to win the ball back because the A.I. isn't programed well enough to keep evading your press by dribbling out of tight situations or playing around your press more consistently forcing you to back off? (rhetorical question)

I do believe some, def not all, the issues people experience with 1-2 direct passing and some of the patterns from the A.I. can be attributed to the how you are defending against the A.I. If you try to replicate real footy the A.I. plays better, not great by any stretch but better and a little more tolerable. When you aggressively press them all over the place they can't cope from a programming standpoint which is why you see them dribble less and less and play more direct quick passes.

Just my two cents

I'm having an issue I don't know which mod is causing it: When playing an offline league, the game refuses to load after the first European Super Cup is over. Just gets stuck at this screen:

20200918_105124.jpg

Glad to see positive responses for the game. I think that was to be expected. Overall, I'm just not sure I can dig into the game. 20 left me with such disdain for the animations and the rigid tactics. Watching videos of the sprint-abrupt stop animations bring back too many frustrations. It still looks like players are running while being drug back with parachutes on their backs.

Who knows, I may just get on with it and ignore those things, but it's going to take some time - and maybe some really good PC patches.

I'm having an issue I don't know which mod is causing it: When playing an offline league, the game refuses to load after the first European Super Cup is over.

are you playing ML?
i believe i've read somewhere there is an issue that will cause the ML to freeze after one or 2 matches.. this is due to dummy players crashing the game

Glad to see positive responses for the game. I think that was to be expected. Overall, I'm just not sure I can dig into the game. 20 left me with such disdain for the animations and the rigid tactics. Watching videos of the sprint-abrupt stop animations bring back too many frustrations. It still looks like players are running while being drug back with parachutes on their backs.

Who knows, I may just get on with it and ignore those things, but it's going to take some time - and maybe some really good PC patches.

Have you tried jerkin off before playing? Get that baby batter out of your system and just relax...don’t over think and over analyze...just play footy

They would just need to list 100 german first and last name, 100 british first and last name, same with spanish, italian, portuguese, some slavic....use random combos for names. Random age, random positions, random stats. And implement some possibilites to generate a high rated player out of 50 or something.
What I do on console is give them a generic face and a different name in edit mode
On PC I rename them (not all) and give them a random face using sider. I'll either nerf them with cheat engine or change their position if they are rated too high. My brother says I prefer editing the game more than playing it. Sad but I think its my hobby

I get some of what you are saying. I think I have better matches against the A.I. too because when I defend I try to defend how you would in real life--i use super cancel A LOT to cut off passing lines, know when to back off or step up, when to press and when not to press. Me and @Chris Davies raved about this in the PES 2018 beta and thats how it should be. FIFA 16 before it got patched had this as well. You had to defend like you would in real life. Then it went to shit in both games.

With that being said, it's also VERY MUCH Konami's fault for not forcing that to be the norm with their mechanics and engine. Why should gamers try to defend like you would in real life when you can run around gegen pressing like crazy to win the ball back because the A.I. isn't programed well enough to keep evading your press by dribbling out of tight situations or playing around your press more consistently forcing you to back off? (rhetorical question)

I do believe some, def not all, the issues people experience with 1-2 direct passing and some of the patterns from the A.I. can be attributed to the how you are defending against the A.I. If you try to replicate real footy the A.I. plays better, not great by any stretch but better and a little more tolerable. When you aggressively press them all over the place they can't cope from a programming standpoint which is why you see them dribble less and less and play more direct quick passes.

Just my two cents

Great post and we are very like minded..

In regards to the AI limitations,absolutely.Unfortunetly if you want the best out of pes currently that is in the 1vs1 domain,FUMA playing arena.And I say that as someone that prefers deep offline gameplay.

Im really happy with where pes is..The directions right,and interms of what the AI is doing.It’s much improved over last year.Could it be better interms of variation,again absolutely.

Bare in mind ,I’ve played the other game religiously since 08 and was blown away with the AI when fifa19 shipped(I never patched it).Im also someone that still plays fifa16 unpatched with friends(I still think it’s up there with best footie games ever).

I just love a lot of what pes does too,and better.I can see the potential here(next gen)just like I did with 20..A new engine will make the world of difference..

That said I think pes21 is excellent and brilliantly executed within the confines of the current engine..The future’s rosy👌😉😀

Last edited:
are you playing ML?
i believe i've read somewhere there is an issue that will cause the ML to freeze after one or 2 matches.. this is due to dummy players crashing the game
Nope, that's just offline league mode. I'll remove the menu module maybe that's what's causing it?

Im a offline guy mainly..Cpu AI and friends on a couch..Online is a shit show for me(I’m a fuma player).I cant do with all the pressure whores and pa2-3 players.
Agree, but there are online options for FUMA. First, there's Online Divisions. Sometimes have to wait a bit for a game, but not super long (unlike myClub/myChub!)

Second, there are leagues for both 1v1 and for 10v10/11v11 teamplay. I play in a 1v1 FUMA league, and dabble a bit in a teamplay league as a reserve player. Lots of opportunities for fun FUMA play online :D

I would have bought by now if it wasn’t for the fact that most likely they’ll revert the gameplay with DP’s and ruin the good experience everyone’s talking about now. I’m tempted to go PC, but I had some input lag while playing the pc version of 2020 🙄

You can turn off Auto Downloads until after the next DLC and hear what people say about it. Hopefully the gameplay will remain untouched, otherwise I will Uninstall the game, turn off the internet, turn off auto download and install from disc 1.00.

Yeah.. i'd hope konami do some improvement for better transition animation between some of those run-stop situation, and some better logic when players alternating their direction in some cases.

However, still more acceptable than the other game's 🦀 running animation though.. :P

Agree, but there are online options for FUMA. First, there's Online Divisions. Sometimes have to wait a bit for a game, but not super long (unlike myClub/myChub!)

Second, there are leagues for both 1v1 and for 10v10/11v11 teamplay. I play in a 1v1 FUMA league, and dabble a bit in a teamplay league as a reserve player. Lots of opportunities for fun FUMA play online :D
thats right. but still... online code plays different, imo! as i said before... must be something with the live update feature (i tested that).
even when i play someone (online) 1vs1 fuma it plays different than offline fuma (R3>no live update)!

am i too sensitive?! :CONF:

thats right. but still... online code plays different, imo! as i said before... must be something with the live update feature (i tested that).
even when i play someone (online) 1vs1 fuma it plays different than offline fuma (R3>no live update)!

am i too sensitive?! :CONF:
I mean, you're always at the mercy of Konami's netcode, possible lag, skipped frames, and so on, online. That's just the nature of that particular beast.

Back
Top Bottom