eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Yes sir, PA0.
Basic shooting, tho. I dont get any fun/satisfaction from advanced shooting.. or maybe it's too difficult for me.

I had a hard time trying to switch the spring button to R1 as it was intended but it was impossible for me.
20+ years of muscular memory its just too much. It's not just running, but bringing the gk out, super cancel, etc..
So i keep using triangle as sprint, R1 to through pass
Fair play my friend. Your doing very well. After over 20 years since the ps1 days I'm. Trying manual now. Very hard at the moment. Like you though sticking to usual shooting. 1 step at a time lol.

Fair play my friend. Your doing very well. After over 20 years since the ps1 days I'm. Trying manual now. Very hard at the moment. Like you though sticking to usual shooting. 1 step at a time lol.
personally, I recommend starting with professional difficulty - this is optimal so that you can learn to play manual without nerves in just a month

It seems people who crack the code with advanced shooting praise it a lot, more variety in animations etc (is that really true btw?) but I just can't get the right feel for it. At the same time manual shooting still has problems with R2 shooting. And basic is, well, too basic...

What do people use for finesse dribbling? Is it L2 or R2 on PS4? Confused as I've read conflicting opinions online.

Personally I've always used R2 to help dribble around players.

What do people use for finesse dribbling? Is it L2 or R2 on PS4? Confused as I've read conflicting opinions online.

Personally I've always used R2 to help dribble around players.

Are you talking about the shuffly steps that used to be 'Hold R2 and move with Left stick'? If so, that changed to just Right stick for PES 2020.

Are you talking about the shuffly steps that used to be 'Hold R2 and move with Left stick'? If so, that changed to just Right stick for PES 2020.
right, so R2 or L2 don't help at all?I've used R2 combined with Left stick and seemly easier to go around the defenders on pes2021...maybe just me though....

right, so R2 or L2 don't help at all?I've used R2 combined with Left stick and seemly easier to go around the defenders on pes2021...maybe just me though....

There is definitely lots of chat going on about both/either of those buttons having an effect. Personally, I can't make my mind up about their effectiveness, sometimes I think it does something, sometimes it feels like it doesn't do anything, I dunno!

Playing the ML I've noticed Konami added some new commentary via the Data Pack 2.0.

I was playing against Man City, Rodri was on the ball and Jim/Peter said something about Rodri being pursued by other clubs because of his good performances. In a match against Liverpool, Thiago was on the ball and Jim/Peter mentioned that he setup a goal with a cross in his last match. Another one is Jim/Peter mentioned that my team picked up a point in a previous match from "one of the big hitters" in the league (that was Wolverhampton who were 6th/7th place at the time).

If I am correct and they were new commentary, it's a good addition. It adds context to the game and makes it feel you've been placed in a football world where there's things going on outside of the team you're controlling. I like to see more of this PES 2022. There's so many things you can add, like commentary on a player returning after an injury, how many goals a striker has in the league (it should vary in terms of their performance last season, good or bad, and/or their current goal scoring form), a regular starting player being dropped on the bench, a former player playing against your team, your performance in the previous season and the type of players your brought in to improve your squad.

Playing the ML I've noticed Konami added some new commentary via the Data Pack 2.0.

I was playing against Man City, Rodri was on the ball and Jim/Peter said something about Rodri being pursued by other clubs because of his good performances. In a match against Liverpool, Thiago was on the ball and Jim/Peter mentioned that he setup a goal with a cross in his last match. Another one is Jim/Peter mentioned that my team picked up a point in a previous match from "one of the big hitters" in the league (that was Wolverhampton who were 6th/7th place at the time).

If I am correct and they were new commentary, it's a good addition. It adds context to the game and makes it feel you've been placed in a football world where there's things going on outside of the team you're controlling. I like to see more of this PES 2022. There's so many things you can add, like commentary on a player returning after an injury, how many goals a striker has in the league (it should vary in terms of their performance last season, good or bad, and/or their current goal scoring form), a regular starting player being dropped on the bench, a former player playing against your team, your performance in the previous season and the type of players your brought in to improve your squad.
So true. Presentation adds inersive pulses to the game. Like in the other game, where you get charts of league stats, in the pre-mstch screen, who to watch, best defence of the league vs worst attack, newcomers etc.

In modern ML there are times I feel so lonely in that world. I was nominated and rewarded as best manager in the world, and I did not receive even a special cutscene or mention. I had to go to messages and and individual awards to check that I got the title, by myself.

Basically I need to put my imagination to feel the missing gaps.

Last edited:
I have problem to score headers. I know some people say use supercancel to get in front of ur defender. Yes, it works once in a while. But i never score these goals when u get on defenders back and jump over them and head it in. Even with tall strikers against short wing backs. Does anyone else score those types of headers? I play manual on superstar

There is definitely lots of chat going on about both/either of those buttons having an effect. Personally, I can't make my mind up about their effectiveness, sometimes I think it does something, sometimes it feels like it doesn't do anything, I dunno!
Well been watching some of spoonypizza videos and it seems that the right stick is now the way to go for finesse dribbling?

Some of you older folks may remember and recall years ago, at half time and full time, the results from the other games would come up. Just something simple like that makes a difference.

Was that before, during or after the weather and traffic updates?

I've just seen on ML you can look at your opponents tactics prior to the game. Do any of you do this?

I'm thinking it can be used to our advantage. For games when the opposition have got defend to the centre, I've put my wingers out really wide and set the team to hug the touchline.

If they are attacking through the centre I make defensive set up to centering and compact. Not sure if it makes much difference but can't be a bad thing trying this out.

Probably been asked over and over but is this a worthy upgrade from 20 ?

I was pretty disgusted with the idea of the season update for $$45 from Konami, assuming it was just that, updated kits etc.

But reading some of the comments in hear, the gameplay has actually changed for the better.

I can’t play more than a few games on 20 or FIFA for that matter.

My biggest annoyance is players just leaving passes or immobile.

Thanks

I've just seen on ML you can look at your opponents tactics prior to the game. Do any of you do this?

I'm thinking it can be used to our advantage. For games when the opposition have got defend to the centre, I've put my wingers out really wide and set the team to hug the touchline.

If they are attacking through the centre I make defensive set up to centering and compact. Not sure if it makes much difference but can't be a bad thing trying this out.

I usually do it, and yes, it makes a diference, because you can have your players better positioned to defend.

I've recently removed the 'knuckle shot' card from my 'fixed' player leaving only dipping shot as a potential shot modifier and have scored a few nice dipping free kicks as a result. Here's a little vid. It ends with a rare dipping shot in open play (manual shooting). I've got a handle on pulling them off relatively frequently BUT they seldom trouble the goalie so this was nice to see...

Oh, and I've got Spanish commentary on because my girlfriend is sick of the repetitiveness of the regular commentators!

Last edited:
It has to be getting to you because you made this exact same post a couple of days ago.
Yep that was me. Probably a good thing it's harder as it's competitive. It's funny, I replayed a game in exhibition mode and won easily. Not a bad thing though as at least Konami thought about making the ml etc more difficult and challenging.

Got into an ML for the first time last night, now that there's a complete OF courtesy of @PESunites.

Committed to full manual as it's all the rage and - let's be honest - the game needs all the help it can get to be engaging.

I saw the same old same old. Player switching and positioning when defender is still brutal at times. But there are still moments with the ball that are glorious, and made all the more satisfying on manual controls.

Good outweighing the bad so far. That was pretty much my analysis from patch to patch in 2020 and as long as the balance is in favour I'll enjoy it.

@orangebard - yours isn't the only girlfriend. Mine also remarked on it, as well as the fan noise, on unfavourable terms. How anyone can play with the commentary on is beyond me. Pound for pound the worst commentary I've endured from a football game.

It has to be. I have personal hang ups about PES commentary and game commentary in general.

Jim Beglin hasn't been relevant for years and Peter Drury's rehearsed, over-the-top theatrics is what made him popular (not with me) but it can't be replicated in-game.

Football video games are too chaotic for commentary and I expect that to be the same for as long as I live. Unless a developer gets a commentator in the recording booth for an unreasonable amount of time, and on a near daily basis to be relevant.

One concession would be to have a commentary frequency setting like the old days. Less is more when it comes to game commentary. Sporadic nonsense >>> Constant sparkling, absolutely sparkling, nonsense.

If they don't put in fresh commentary for 2022, there should be riots
The problem is the procedure while recording/processing the commentary. They're using a limited script with a few hours of rehearsals and we finally have these robotic commentary results. It's all about money and time investment.

Player stats and passing styles, is this relevant in manual passing? For example the different types of passes players like Jorginho /Pjanic /de Bryune make. These players have different techniques of passes, putting backspin on the ball etc

When playing manual do the stats still make them pass the ball this way like it does on PA1?

Back
Top Bottom